35mm vs 50mm prime lens

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions
AeroSpaceJam
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
35mm vs 50mm prime lens
Jun 12, 2012

I'm looking to purchase either the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR Lens or the 35mm lens for my D5100. I'd be using them primarily for indoor photography.

I was wondering if anybody thinks that the 50mm is too long of a focal length for indoor shooting - will there be times when I have my back against the wall trying to take a picture and regret not having a 35mm?

Thanks!

AeroSpaceJam's gear list:AeroSpaceJam's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,380Gear list
Like?
You probably have a lens on your camera
In reply to AeroSpaceJam, Jun 12, 2012

AeroSpaceJam wrote:

I'm looking to purchase either the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR Lens or the 35mm lens for my D5100. I'd be using them primarily for indoor photography.

I was wondering if anybody thinks that the 50mm is too long of a focal length for indoor shooting - will there be times when I have my back against the wall trying to take a picture and regret not having a 35mm?

I assume you have an 18-55 zoom. Set it to 35mm and take some indoor shots. Set it to 50mm and take some indoor shots. Which angle of view do you like better?

It's irrelevant what others think of the focal length and it's easy to come to your own conclusions. And whatever lens you have on the camera, sometimes it will be the wrong one.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Skylane
Contributing MemberPosts: 640
Like?
Re: You probably have a lens on your camera
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Jun 12, 2012

Leonards advise it very good. The fileds of view are what will matter. On your camera the crop factor for a 50mm makes it a 75mm and the 35mm a 42mm.

I prefer the 35mm on my D90 and D40, indoors and some outdoor shots.
--
Charlie

andrew Haug
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?
Re: You probably have a lens on your camera
In reply to Skylane, Jun 12, 2012

In short, yes ... it is too long for indoor shooting. Its not a normal lens. Its a short tele on a dx body. I had a 50 f1.4 d for many years on a d200. Loved it. Got a 35 f1.8 g and the focal length is much easier to use indoors. I still wish that there was a 35 f1.4 that auto focused and was reasonably priced. That would help me to stay with dx bodies. I'm thinking that there are better 50's than 35's as options. You may want to pick up the 50g 1.8 and the 35g 1.8 as they are inexpensive and both quite good.

andrew Haug's gear list:andrew Haug's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +3 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,631Gear list
Like?
Re: 35mm vs 50mm prime lens
In reply to AeroSpaceJam, Jun 12, 2012

I used a 50 in my film days but found it too long on DX when moving to digital. I kept trying to back up only to find I didn't have room. I bought a 35mm and now think that is a much more useful focal length on DX anyway. 50 is a bit long for a standard lens.
The 35mm f1.8 is a very nice lens (as is the 50).
--
http://www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
kkro
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to slimandy, Jun 13, 2012

What about the Sigma 30mm f1.4?

I had this lens with my D200 and liked it.

-- hide signature --

Regards - Kristian

vaxn8r
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
In reply to AeroSpaceJam, Jun 13, 2012

35 1.8 no question (based on your post).

Though you may want both eventually.

vaxn8r's gear list:vaxn8r's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
AeroSpaceJam
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
In reply to vaxn8r, Jun 13, 2012

Thanks everybody for your opinions. I went with the 35mm. I had actually ordered the 50mm lens but it's on backorder everywhere. Meant to be I guess cause I canceled that order and now I'm happy I got the 35mm instead!

AeroSpaceJam's gear list:AeroSpaceJam's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
The Big One
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,413Gear list
Like?
In reply to kkro, Jun 14, 2012

kkro wrote:

What about the Sigma 30mm f1.4?

I had this lens with my D200 and liked it.

I had the 35/1.8 and the Sigma 30/1.4, and sold the Nikkor. The Sigma is a better lens overall: higher resolution wide open, better bokeh, faster / more accurate focusing, better build quality, etc. It is also a bit heavier and more expensive, though. I would definitely try it out in store, see what you think.

Cheers
--
--Wyatt
http://photos.digitalcave.ca
All images (c) unless otherwise specified, please ask me before editing.

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,909Gear list
Like?
In reply to AeroSpaceJam, Jun 14, 2012

I am glad you got the 35mm, i have this one also, but this lens is NOT a wide angle lens on a DX camera, i have the D7000 and i preffer my 50mm AND a separate zoom lens over the 35mm, the 35mm is just slightly wider than the 50mm. Please understand that both these two lenses are NOT for the same purpose, they are different lenses for different purpose, but for me the 35mm is not wide enough. The 50mm takes more gorgeous portrait photos, can't compare it to the 35.

I just went to my kid's school play and i sat in the front row and the 35mm gives me a VERY LIMITED view, for i only took photos of my kid and a couple other kids right beside each other, and the REST of the scene? It doesn't fit in this lens range. I was VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED! Understand that this is actually acting as a 52.5mm on DX. 28mm is still too long "for me" and a waste of money, i am actually waiting til one day Nikon comes up with a new 20 or 24mm 1.8, then that will be a very descent wide angle.

When i am at parties i find myself backing up too much in order to get six or eight people, the problem is that there is not enough room usually in an indoor room, specially when there are other people walking around and around me, it gets very uncomfortable sometimes. Sooner or later you will realize what i am talking about. This 35mm is a very good lens for the price but it is very limited at the same time.

What i am doing at this point in time is using the inexpensive insainly sharp 18-55 with the VR turned off, the photos come out even better and more detailed with VR OFF. The only thing i have to do with kit lens is use it WITH EXTERNAL FLASH where i have to, and i got myself some awesome photos. This kit lens is VERY UNDER ESTIMATED. I still have the 35mm but i will eventually sell it until another wider prime comes out or until i can save enough to buy the Nikon 17-55 2.8.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads