D800 vs 5DIII. This one will be tougher to guess.

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions
amobi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,738
Like?
D800 vs 5DIII. This one will be tougher to guess.
Jun 12, 2012

Both processed in LR4 and images taken seconds of each other.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,597
Like?
what's a 5D111 ? -nt
In reply to amobi, Jun 12, 2012
-- hide signature --

nt--

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ju_ju
Contributing MemberPosts: 819Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 vs 5D111. This one will be tougher to guess.

number one Nikon , number two Mk3 unless you altered the exif?

ju_ju's gear list:ju_ju's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II +12 more
Ross Murphy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 vs 5D111. This one will be tougher to guess.

5D3 obviously gets better smiles
--
Image's In Light
http://rossmurphy.zenfolio.com/
http://imagesinlightnw.blogspot.com/

Ross Murphy's gear list:Ross Murphy's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
gigamel
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?
Again dark blue turns purple in 5D3

1 Nikon
2 Canon

DGWeiss
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 vs 5DIII. This one will be tougher to guess.

I was guessing the second one was the 5D mk CXI from having seen your previous comparison post.

The texture of the skirts is markedly different between the two shots. I noticed this also in your previous posting. The first shot shows the texture, and the specular highlights, more harshly.

I speculate that there is some difference betweeen the strobes that caused this.

The overexposure of the outdoors through the door and window in the background seems inconsistent between the two cameras. Hard to say which one is blowing out worse.

-- hide signature --

Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Or, get out your 50mm/1.2L.

DGWeiss's gear list:DGWeiss's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
DGWeiss
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?

I forgot to mention how lucky you got with your illumination, just using bounce (or semi-bounce) flash! A complicated multi-umbrella rig could scarcely have produced better results.
--
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Or, get out your 50mm/1.2.

DGWeiss's gear list:DGWeiss's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
Alxy
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
In reply to DGWeiss, Jun 12, 2012

1. Canon (colors are more red, more flash power)
2. Nikon (colors look more yellow, less flash)

Alxy's gear list:Alxy's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1
amobi
Like?

I thought the dress colors are closely matched this time but I guess not since you guys can still tell them apart.

amobi
Like?

I agreed. I only use my off camera at the reception. Shooting alone can be tough. I hate to drag things around when I don't have to.

DGWeiss wrote:

I forgot to mention how lucky you got with your illumination, just using bounce (or semi-bounce) flash! A complicated multi-umbrella rig could scarcely have produced better results.
--
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Or, get out your 50mm/1.2.

Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,386
Like?

They are too close to matter. Other than a little variation in field of view, would they look much different if they had been taken even with an old 20D? I mean no offense at all, but I just can't see where image quality is much of an issue with this type of work when digital SLRs have been great at shots like this for years.

amobi wrote:

amobi
Like?
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Jun 12, 2012

I don't know why you are talking about IQ because this post was not about image quality.

Good luck with your 20D. Me like to stay current.

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

They are too close to matter. Other than a little variation in field of view, would they look much different if they had been taken even with an old 20D? I mean no offense at all, but I just can't see where image quality is much of an issue with this type of work when digital SLRs have been great at shots like this for years.

amobi wrote:

Michael Thomas Mitchell
Like?

If it wasn't about image quality, then what was this about?

I don't mind at all if you stay current. Different strokes and all that. For me, spending money unnecessarily just means having to work that much longer and harder to end up with the same net in my pocket. I don't think that any of our brides here in Atlanta care whether we are using s 20D, a 1D, a 5DIII or a Phase One digital back... they just want good pictures. And shots like the one you posted probably account for 90% or more of the stuff we both produce. My personal opinion... going overkill on hardware for this sort of thing is like driving a Ferrari to deliver the mail.

amobi wrote:

I don't know why you are talking about IQ because this post was not about image quality.

amobi wrote:

cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 528Gear list
Like?

They display the same traits as the previous image. The first is Nikon, the second is Canon. They are both in focus this time, but I think the flash created a more pleasant appearance in the Canon again. Perhaps this comes down to the flash units used? The dresses look more similar this time, but the skin tones are still different in a way that was seen in the last image. They're both good and I can't decide which one looks more accurate since I wasn't there, but to me the Canon looks better somehow. I do feel like I can see certain details better in the Nikon (the top). For example, look at the wrinkles in some of the dresses. However, this could also come down to flash or color balance. The other reason the Canon may look better (to my eyes) could simply come down to down sampling, but that is a stab in the dark.

I find that pictures taken using natural light gives a major advantage in overall image quality to full frame cameras, but this is less the case when flash units are used. Crop sensor cameras give good results close to full frame when bounce flash or umbrellas or studio lights are used. The main difference then seems to be field of view. Again, in natural light, full frame cameras are in another league. This is just my experience shooting with a 7D and a 5D Mark III, though.

Nice group portraits, by the way.

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
amobi
Like?
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Jun 12, 2012

I wish all wedding photographers in my area are still using 20D. Going from 20D to 5DIII is not over kill rather a good business investment. 5DIII saves me a lot of time in post processing. I capture shots now that I would not even try with 20D. I used 20D for two years and I wouldn't want to go back for any reason whatsoever.

You invest money to make money.

I don't mind at all if you stay current. Different strokes and all that. For me, spending money unnecessarily just means having to work that much longer and harder to end up with the same net in my pocket. I don't think that any of our brides here in Atlanta care whether we are using s 20D, a 1D, a 5DIII or a Phase One digital back... they just want good pictures. And shots like the one you posted probably account for 90% or more of the stuff we both produce. My personal opinion... going overkill on hardware for this sort of thing is like driving a Ferrari to deliver the mail.

amobi wrote:

amobi wrote:

amobi
Like?
In reply to cpkuntz, Jun 12, 2012

I know what you mean. I used 7D for backup for some time but I never liked that camera. I could have taken this particular shot without flash but a little bit of flash does not hurt. I shoot based on the type of client I have. Some are easy to please some are very technical.

cpkuntz wrote:

They display the same traits as the previous image. The first is Nikon, the second is Canon. They are both in focus this time, but I think the flash created a more pleasant appearance in the Canon again. Perhaps this comes down to the flash units used? The dresses look more similar this time, but the skin tones are still different in a way that was seen in the last image. They're both good and I can't decide which one looks more accurate since I wasn't there, but to me the Canon looks better somehow. I do feel like I can see certain details better in the Nikon (the top). For example, look at the wrinkles in some of the dresses. However, this could also come down to flash or color balance. The other reason the Canon may look better (to my eyes) could simply come down to down sampling, but that is a stab in the dark.

I find that pictures taken using natural light gives a major advantage in overall image quality to full frame cameras, but this is less the case when flash units are used. Crop sensor cameras give good results close to full frame when bounce flash or umbrellas or studio lights are used. The main difference then seems to be field of view. Again, in natural light, full frame cameras are in another league. This is just my experience shooting with a 7D and a 5D Mark III, though.

Nice group portraits, by the way.

PunkRock
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?

The girl on the left (who never smiles) was on the right in ur 1st thread....in both pics she is badly OOF, why?
--
Meat=Murder

PunkRock's gear list:PunkRock's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?

The flash light was much stronger in the first image as there is more than one stop of exposure (total light) difference. So you are shooting in a mixture of flash light, whatever artificial light was there, and some daylight; all in different proportions. This changes the color temperature a lot - the Canon shot was done in warmer light. The result tells you more about the way the flash systems work (in your hands), not about the color differences of the two systems.

amobi
Like?
In reply to PunkRock, Jun 12, 2012

You are exactly right. She was badly out of focus on all the images. It was worst with Canon images. I wish somebody will be able to explain it to me. I have concluded it could be the lens. I used the old Canon 28-70L. It was rented that morning. I am not very familiar with the lens plus it flares badly. The flare was badly on her on this Canon image but none with Nikon. I had to PP it.

I will keep my eye on that. I hope it is not my camera. All formal pictures I took with Canon came out that way. Any person in the far right or far left were badly out of focus. Worst with a person in far right.

PunkRock wrote:

The girl on the left (who never smiles) was on the right in ur 1st thread....in both pics she is badly OOF, why?
--
Meat=Murder

Michael Thomas Mitchell
Like?

I actually use 1D-series bodies as well as many others. I only said that the 20D could be used. But if your clients can tell the difference, more power to you!

amobi wrote:

I wish all wedding photographers in my area are still using 20D. Going from 20D to 5DIII is not over kill rather a good business investment. 5DIII saves me a lot of time in post processing. I capture shots now that I would not even try with 20D. I used 20D for two years and I wouldn't want to go back for any reason whatsoever.

You invest money to make money.

amobi wrote:

amobi wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads