who shoots naked? (with bare lens that is)

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions
Finch585
Contributing MemberPosts: 509Gear list
Like?
who shoots naked? (with bare lens that is)
Jun 12, 2012

As I await the arrival of my X100 and Fuji case, I'm wondering how many of you shoot with an unprotected lens, versus adding an UV filter or hood? I didn't buy the hood because it won't close up in the case, and I prefer not to add glass over the fine lens, though I'm leaning in that direction if I sissy out. This will be mostly street shooting.

Suggestions or warnings appreciated.

Jeffrey

Finch585's gear list:Finch585's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +2 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,382
Like?
Re: who shoots naked? (with bare lens that is)
In reply to Finch585, Jun 12, 2012

New2blog wrote:

As I await the arrival of my X100 and Fuji case, I'm wondering how many of you shoot with an unprotected lens, versus adding an UV filter or hood? I didn't buy the hood because it won't close up in the case, and I prefer not to add glass over the fine lens, though I'm leaning in that direction if I sissy out. This will be mostly street shooting.

Jeffrey

With my X100. The only protection my lens has is the full case. Other than that, no lens cap, hood or filter. Really it's more than enough protection.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Arledge
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, Jun 12, 2012

A B+W UV filter is pretty reasonably priced for the X100 and I feel improves outdoor results. I wouldn't think twice about having it on at all times for protection and the effects.

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 70D +5 more
joepasky
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?

I may be a wimp, but I feel nervous 'going naked'.

I have a filter and hood, but I've read some less expensive strategies: buy a cheap 42mm filter, take out the glass, use the ring as a spacer, put another filter in front it it. (there are much better descriptions of how to do this posted out there).

I just feel better knowing that my $500 lens has a a little protection against my being a klutz.

-- hide signature --

Joseph J. Pasky - China.

joepasky's gear list:joepasky's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +3 more
DaniDR
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?

Most of the time I shoot without any filters, both on my XPro1 and D700. I generally only use the filters when shooting on adverse conditions or in auto racing where sometimes there's a risk of debris being thrown at you.

Even with high quality filters, there is some degradation in quality, pretty noticeable in some situations.

CraigArnold
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?

Naked. No filter, no lens hood.

If I were going into a hazardous environment with lots of salt spray or grit/dust I would probably use one though.

If you use a filter make sure that your adapter ring (if you get a non-Fuji one) allows sufficient space when in Macro mode so that the lens doesn't hit the filter as it extends.

Probably with most good filters under most conditions you will not see a difference. Be careful at night - some have reported flare and ghosting under lights. The X100 is somewhat prone to this anyway, filters can make it much worse.

Blog ------------------------ http://peri.org.uk/wp/?tag=blog
X100 Blog ----------------- http://peri.org.uk/wp/?cat=16
X100 Quickstart Guide -- http://peri.org.uk/wp/?page_id=1345

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,749
Like?

Case? Is that the old style case that prevents you from taking snapshots?

Hood, yes. Filter, yes. That's all the protection a camera needs when it's being used.

New2blog wrote:

Jeffrey

-- hide signature --

Mikael

pocom
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

Hi Jeffrey

I shoot my X100 "naked" (mostly for street photography). I don't like filters that much, as my experience says more glass = more reflexions and more flare. Maybe I came across low quality filters. Still they are probably the best protection you can get.

However there are other ways to protect your lens. I keep the (5mm deeper) filter adapter ring on the all the time, instead of the (very slim) standard front ring. It does not look as good, but it will protect the front lens from some damage, if not all .

When I feel I need more, I add the hood to act as a bumper (I have been doing that on my RF and SLR primes for years and it proved a useful way). The hood does obstruct a little (say 10%) of the OVF, but not enough to be really annoying (and then, you can always use the EVF). I also always carry the X100 around in its leather case.

By the way, this was (imho) one good reason to buy a black X100, with case, adapter ring, hood and filter included : the usefulness (is this english ?!?) of those accessories make the (expensive) package feel a little... less expensive !

gordon lafleur
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
In reply to pocom, Jun 12, 2012

Cases and filters, ....I'm trying to be diplomatic, just say no to cases and filters. Look, I've been a full time professional photographer since 1971. I use cameras every day. In all those years, with all the cameras and lenses I've used and owned, only once have I ever scratched a lens. In that case, I threw a Hasselblad 50mm into a case without the caps on. It got scratched rubbing up against another lens.
For shooting, never.

Cases, I'm sorry, just plain silly. We used to call them "never-ready cases" Why ruin the ergonomics of your camera with a clunky case.

Most scratched lenses get that way from amateurs continually cleaning and polishing them.

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,535Gear list
Like?

I never put filters on my lenses unless they are for effect.

in more than 30 years of photography I have had two damaged lenses, both of which were damaged so severely that no filter would have made the slightest difference. Both ended up back at Nikon in Japan for repair under my gear insurance.

Hoods, yes - but for flare protection more than anything. I don't even cap my lenses when I put them in my bags unless I know I won't be using them for a long period. I want the camera ready when it comes out of the bag, not handicapped with silly plastic caps to ping off and get lost.

Shomari
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
In reply to Finch585, Jun 13, 2012

I use only a B&W UV filter & no cap. I understand the X100 lens caps are expensive if not hard to get. Never had any problems doing it this way. The camera is alway ready this method. I store with the cap on though.

H
--
H tyree
htree1@suddenlink.net

Shomari's gear list:Shomari's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Dibenuto
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?

I used to be a stickler for protective filters, until I opened my camera bag after a day out with the DSLR. The filter had cracked and there was extremely fine particles of glass/whatever else in in the filter on my lens. Subsequently, it got inside the barrel (the powder). I'm not sure if it was the change on extreme temperature, because I didn't bang it hard. Needless to say, since then I've favoured 'naked'.

Apsphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 210Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dibenuto, Jun 13, 2012

I don't use filters, will use the hoods and the caps. No need to degrade the image with filters, the only ones I might add are polarizers or ND filters. Same with my dslrs.

Alan

-- hide signature --

Alan Smallbone
Orange county, CA

liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,925Gear list
Like?
Buck Nekkid

Nada. Zip. Zero.

New2blog wrote:

Jeffrey

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +5 more
like a user
Contributing MemberPosts: 903
Like?
Re: Buck Nekkid
In reply to liquid stereo, Jun 13, 2012

Mostly "au natural" like this ,and also for when I want it "pocketable."

Tho if it s in low sun, this hood and step ring/adaptor gets added, tho still no filter.
Not much should get to the front element past this...

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

I have, and will, in the future, shoot with the 60mm "naked" because the front element is actually pretty recessed into the lens housing. But most of my lenses have lens hoods. I don't like using UV filters as "protection".
--
http://asylum-photo.com

Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
In reply to like a user, Jun 13, 2012

I'm curious as to what exactly makes your "lens hood".

I ordered a 49mm-28mm step down ring to attach to my Fuji Filter Adapter to hopefully get the compact hood setup myself, but I have no clue if it'll work out.
--
http://asylum-photo.com

Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
ohmydentist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,828
Like?
never used UV, nor hood, ever (nt)
-- hide signature --

^ ^

Just Shoot !

like a user
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, Jun 13, 2012

Not sure, are you asking about mine ?
It s an Ebay adaptor/ an Ebay step up ring/ and an "inverted" Nikon hood .

The adaptor adds more depth than I d like as I was trying to get it smaller than with a "normal" hood,and I wish they d put a filter thread direct on to the lens without having to add to the length with more hardwear.
Plus leaving me with bits to lose, get mud in etc ...

like a user
Like?
In reply to like a user, Jun 13, 2012

I did use my best " iPad fill in light " to highlight the writing around the hood so it was recognisable what hood it was.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads