remote shutter release for my T3i

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions
baneling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,126Gear list
Like?
remote shutter release for my T3i
Jun 12, 2012

Hi all, I'm looking for a remote controller for my T3i. I know Canon has their RC-6 and RS-60E3, but I'm looking for something that will allow me to have a long exposure. I want to press the button once to start the exposure and press it again to end it. I doubt these two options can do that. Do any T3i (or equivalent) owners have an option that can do this? preferably wireless. thanks
--

-- hide signature --

Canon T3i
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

baneling's gear list:baneling's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tymevest
Senior MemberPosts: 1,495
Like?
Re: remote shutter release for my T3i
In reply to baneling, Jun 12, 2012

I bought a wired remote from Ebay for about $4. It allows you to lock the shutter open for long exposure shots. I have never done long exposure shots but have had this remote for about a year and it works perfectly. The wireless remote also works well for normal shots and was about $4 too.

-- hide signature --

Tymevest

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,734Gear list
Like?

The RS60 does that. The setting is not on the remote; it is set on the camera by using Bulb setting.

baneling wrote:

Hi all, I'm looking for a remote controller for my T3i. I know Canon has their RC-6 and RS-60E3, but I'm looking for something that will allow me to have a long exposure. I want to press the button once to start the exposure and press it again to end it. I doubt these two options can do that. Do any T3i (or equivalent) owners have an option that can do this? preferably wireless. thanks
--

-- hide signature --

Canon T3i

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
baneling
Like?
In reply to tymevest, Jun 12, 2012

what's the manufacturer and model of your wired remote?

tymevest wrote:

I bought a wired remote from Ebay for about $4. It allows you to lock the shutter open for long exposure shots. I have never done long exposure shots but have had this remote for about a year and it works perfectly. The wireless remote also works well for normal shots and was about $4 too.

-- hide signature --

Tymevest

-- hide signature --

------------------------------------
Canon T3i

Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
baneling
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Jun 12, 2012

Olga Johnson wrote:

The RS60 does that. The setting is not on the remote; it is set on the camera by using Bulb setting.

the bulb setting is to hold the shutter release for as long as you want and you let go when you're finished. so with the RS-60E3, you press it once to start and press it again to finish? do you have this one?

baneling wrote:

--

-- hide signature --

Canon T3i

-- hide signature --

Olga

-- hide signature --

Canon T3i

carnaga
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?

baneling wrote:

the bulb setting is to hold the shutter release for as long as you want and you let go when you're finished. so with the RS-60E3, you press it once to start and press it again to finish? do you have this one?

Dial the shutter to "Bulb" mode, select self timer/remote of 10 sec. Point with RC-6 remote, click once to open the shutter and start the exposure. Click again to stop the exposure.

If you want to use "Mirror Lock" function, switch RC-6 to position 2 (the switch is located at the backside of the remote) and repeat the above.

RC-6 remote cost's approx 2 bucks.

carnaga's gear list:carnaga's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +2 more
baneling
Like?
In reply to carnaga, Jun 12, 2012

carnaga wrote:

baneling wrote:

Dial the shutter to "Bulb" mode, select self timer/remote of 10 sec. Point with RC-6 remote, click once to open the shutter and start the exposure. Click again to stop the exposure.

If you want to use "Mirror Lock" function, switch RC-6 to position 2 (the switch is located at the backside of the remote) and repeat the above.

RC-6 remote cost's approx 2 bucks.

everywhere I read about the little wireless RC-6, it never says it does long exposures. how does it know when you press it, you want to keep the shutter open and not just take the picture? if you put the camera in bulb mode, the manual says you have to hold down the button to keep the shutter open. woldn't it be the same with the remote? sorry I don't mean to be a pain, i just want to make sure.

-- hide signature --

Canon T3i

carnaga
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?

The manual only speaks about the in-camera shutter button. Not the RC-6 remote.

When using RC-6 with "Bulb" and "Self-timer:10sec/remote control" settings, you don't have to keep the RC-6 button pressed down. Instead one click starts the exposure, second click stops it.

If you are unsure, give me some time, I can put it to youtube

baneling wrote:

everywhere I read about the little wireless RC-6, it never says it does long exposures. how does it know when you press it, you want to keep the shutter open and not just take the picture? if you put the camera in bulb mode, the manual says you have to hold down the button to keep the shutter open. woldn't it be the same with the remote? sorry I don't mean to be a pain, i just want to make sure.

-- hide signature --

Canon T3i

carnaga's gear list:carnaga's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +2 more
tymevest
Like?

baneling wrote:

what's the manufacturer and model of your wired remote?

Just go to eBay, type in RS-60E3 for the wired or RC-6 for the wireless. You can only use the wireless from in front of the camera because that's where the sensor is. For as cheap as they are, buy one of each. If you get a wireless, it may not work close to the camera. I thought my first one was bad and ordered a second It didn't seem to work either but I was test it at my desk with the camera maybe 18 inches away. I moved back a couple feet and both worked perfectly.

This is the link for one of the wired. I always order "Buy It Now" when using eBay. This was $3.38 delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shutter-Release-Remote-Cord-For-Canon-450D-500D-550D-600D-60D-1100D-G12-RS-60E3-/140617621851?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item20bd76a15b
--
Tymevest

baneling
Like?
In reply to carnaga, Jun 12, 2012

its ok, don't worry about it. if you have it, then that's all i need. besides, I can't access youtube from work. thanks!

-- hide signature --

Canon T3i

tymevest
Like?

Ebay is a good source for items like this and lens hoods. I don't believe in spending more than I have to. But never buy other items that need to be high quality like filters. For those you need to from a reputable retailer that orders directly from the manufacturer. There are a lot of cheap knock-offs flooding the market. With a switch, it either works or it doesn't. A cheap filter can ruin your photos and it may be stamped with a name brand or even be in a name branded box.
--
Tymevest

baneling
Like?
In reply to carnaga, Jun 27, 2012

ok I got the RC-6 shipped to me yesterday and its not working. I put the camera to bulb mode and set the drive mode to the one for the remote control. I press the button on the remote and either nothing happens or all it does is activate the autofocus and that's it. it doesn't take any pictures. I bought it from someone in hong kong for $9. it "appears" to be a genuine Canon. Are there counterfeit version of this product going around? Or am I doing something wrong?
--

-- hide signature --

http://500px.com/baneling
Canon T3i

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads