60D – Why are all my pictures are BLANK!!

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions
Danny Somekh2
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
60D – Why are all my pictures are BLANK!!
Jun 12, 2012

Hello. I've been using my Canon 60D without a hitch for over a year but it suddenly started only taking blank/black pictures. I've tried defaulting to factory settings, different shooting modes, using live view and removing the sim card – still no luck. In live view mode an indicator saying EXP.SIM is constantly flashing. Other than that the camera seems fine mechanically - doing everything as expected. As I have been travelling for a year, taking far more shots than a casual user, I'm concerned there is something fundamentally wrong with the electronics/sensor. Any ideas?

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jim B (MSP)
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,607
Like?
Re: 60D – Why are all my pictures are BLANK!!
In reply to Danny Somekh2, Jun 12, 2012

No idea yet for the blank shots.

But for the Rebel: The little badge at lower right says "Exp. SIM", indicating that the Exposure Simulation feature has been enabled, approximating the brightness of the final image on the rear panel LCD screen.

and I found: Exposure Simulation will attempt to continue even with depth of field preview active, though this may raise the live view noise levels even further. If you pass outside the range where the live view feed can simulate your exposure, the "Exp. Sim" icon near the bottom right of the LCD will blink, as a warning.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,365Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim B (MSP), Jun 12, 2012

Make sure the exposure compensation is set to zero.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,287Gear list
Like?
You have a SIM card?
In reply to Danny Somekh2, Jun 13, 2012

Your camera has a Subscriber Identity Module card? I feel so obsolete!

It actually sounds like your lens cap is on. If that's not it, something is broken.

Oly Canikon
Contributing MemberPosts: 998
Like?
Re: You have a SIM card?
In reply to ARShutterbug, Jun 13, 2012

ARShutterbug wrote:

Your camera has a Subscriber Identity Module card? I feel so obsolete!

It actually sounds like your lens cap is on. If that's not it, something is broken.

We have too many acronym's, who can keep them straight.

Does live view work? That will check the sensor.

Take a shot in manual with no lens and look through the lens mount. Can you see the mirror flip up and the shutter open?

sleibson
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?
In reply to Danny Somekh2, Jun 13, 2012

Take off the lens and put the camera into sensor cleaning mode. (Not the automatic sensor cleaning, the mode for manual cleaning). This mode should open the shutter and raise the mirror. If you can look through the lens mount, into the camera's mirror box, and see the sensor, then the shutter mechanism is working. If not, there's something blocking the sensor in the mirror box. Your shutter might have died or the mirror might not be lifting and a trip to Canon (possibly an expensive one) is the next step because something is definitely broken.

This assumes you're not getting an image in LiveView mode. If you are, then you already know the shutter is working and the mirror is lifting. However, the blinking "Exp. SIM" indicator (exposure simulation) suggests that the sensor isn't getting any light because the camera can't find anything on the sensor even when amplifying the image signal.

-- hide signature --

Steve Leibson

Shooting with Canons for 40 years

Lajos Hajdu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,585
Like?
Got it!!
In reply to Danny Somekh2, Jun 14, 2012

You forgot to take off the lens cap.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

TTMartin
Like?

Without some feedback from Danny on what he's tried and hasn't tried, or if he even still has a problem, posts on how to fix it are kind of pointless.

Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,046
Like?
well. don't you hate it?
In reply to TTMartin, Jun 14, 2012

When people don't post back? Kind of rude. I'd be trying everything.

Thorbard
Contributing MemberPosts: 677Gear list
Like?

How many photos have you been taking? The rated shutter life is around 100,000 shots, if not more.

The error as described sounds like a sensor failure or a shutter failure. Do you still hear the shutter activate when you try and take an image, or is the camera silent?

Danny Somekh2 wrote:

Hello. I've been using my Canon 60D without a hitch for over a year but it suddenly started only taking blank/black pictures. I've tried defaulting to factory settings, different shooting modes, using live view and removing the sim card – still no luck. In live view mode an indicator saying EXP.SIM is constantly flashing. Other than that the camera seems fine mechanically - doing everything as expected. As I have been travelling for a year, taking far more shots than a casual user, I'm concerned there is something fundamentally wrong with the electronics/sensor. Any ideas?

Thorbard's gear list:Thorbard's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Danny Somekh
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, Jun 15, 2012

Thanks and apologies – I'm new to this forum and naively assumed I'd get an email notifying me of any responses. I'll post some feedback now...

Danny Somekh
Like?
Re: well. don't you hate it?
In reply to tko, Jun 15, 2012

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude. I've very appreciative of all feedback.

Danny Somekh
Like?
In reply to Jim B (MSP), Jun 15, 2012

Thanks Jim. I assume Exp Sim only relates to Live view mode so it's probably a red herring.

Danny Somekh
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, Jun 15, 2012

Thanks TTMartin. I've restored factory setting but will double-check exposure compensation again.

Danny Somekh
Like?
In reply to ARShutterbug, Jun 15, 2012

Thanks ARShutterbug, I was actually sorting out my phone's SIM card just five minutes before posting the issue and got a bit muddled! Having said that, I'm sure the major manufacturers are working on SIM-enabled cameras. Like we need more functionality!

Danny Somekh
Like?
In reply to Oly Canikon, Jun 15, 2012

Thanks Oly, but ARShutterbug is right – I was being thick. Looks like the mirror/shutter works fine so all fingers are pointing to the sensor at the moment

Danny Somekh
Like?
In reply to sleibson, Jun 15, 2012

Many thanks sleibson, I'm getting an image in Live View mode so it could well be a faulty sensor. Gulp! sounds expensive!

Danny Somekh
Like?
Re: Got it!!
In reply to Lajos Hajdu, Jun 15, 2012

Thanks Lajos, leaving the lens cap on is my forte but sadly not in this instance!

Danny Somekh
Like?
In reply to Thorbard, Jun 15, 2012

Hi Thorbard, I think the shutter is fine but you got me thinking about just how many shots I must have taken during my year away. My photo library contains about 20k-25k images and I tend to purge of at least 80% when importing them to my computer. Chances are I've taken over 100k shots so I'm going to check what the estimated life of the sensor is. Anyway, I'm quite happy with the pics it's given me. You can see some here: http://www.facebook.com/ouryearaway and http://www.ouryearaway.com . Thanks again for your feedback!

TTMartin
Like?
In reply to Danny Somekh, Jun 19, 2012

Any luck?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads