The E-M5 cannot replace a DSLR.

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions
Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,792
Like?
The E-M5 cannot replace a DSLR.
Jun 12, 2012

I thought I finally bought the ideal camera. Small, light and with great IQ.
I rushed to sell my E-30 and all my 4/3 lenses.

To replace my 50-200, I bought the Lumix 100-300. What a mistake. The lens cannot keep up with fast paced air show. Focusing was a disaster when it came to the fast moving airplanes. I want my 50-200/EC14 back.

The following images were shot at CFB Borden, Ontario. The day was very hot. I had to quit early because of the focusing frustration, lack of spare battery, and heat.

The camera/lens should make a great static birding kit, but cannot replace a DSLR.
Here are some of the images from the air show.

More images here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34292384@N03/sets/72157630108673802/
--
My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...

Jeff.

Olympus E-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dpalugyay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,117Gear list
Like?
You are right, it can't replace a DSLR in my home
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, Jun 12, 2012

It replaced TWO! And two Olympus ones at that. It easily beats the crap out of my E-3 and E-5 and then some. The only thing I miss is the 12-60. Try the 75-300.

I'm never looking back to a DSLR again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
Keeping my DSLR kit for now...

I tend to accumulate kit, but looking at this set you certainly seemed to manager well!

Thanks for sharing

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?
Re: The E-M5 cannot replace a DSLR.

There are a couple of nice ones. But it's disappointing to hear.

Mine is due tomorrow (but due to family illness I won't be here to sign for it so maybe a delay now) and then I have two weeks to test it before I decide whether to take my DSLR on the next leg of my travels (three months in Asia).

Having said that, I'm not a fan of that lens and when I used it on a GH2, I rarely kept many shots.

I used a Sony Nex-5N for a few months and bought an adapter to use my Canon lenses and was extremely pleased with the results. The Sony has Focus Peaking so fast manual focussing with the Canon glass was a breeze and I got more keepers than I do with AF. But the Sony shutter release is seizing and becoming unworkable. My cameras take some abuse while travelling so one of the plus points I'm hoping of the OM-D is the sealing will help protect it.

I've ordered an Adapter for the OM-D to use the Canon Glass. I doubt I'll get much from it until they add focus peaking (a magnified display of a 400mm equivalent FOV is not going to be easy to keep a target). But at least I can test the quality and see what to expect from it.

Based on what I saw from the Sony, I'm anticipating some great quality from the combination of OM-D and Canon L. And I have some decent m43 primes for more compact autofocus shooting.

Why didn't you try the 43-m43 adapter before selling the good stuff?

-Najinsky

intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,494Gear list
Like?

....who told you that it could?

burnymeister
Senior MemberPosts: 1,407Gear list
Like?

For you it can't but for a lot of us it can! I guess it all depends what you used your DSLR for!
--
Vern Dewit
Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.explor8ion.com
http://verndewit.com/

burnymeister's gear list:burnymeister's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +8 more
millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
Depends on how varied your shooting needs are, SUV can't replace a pickup either

All depends on what your needs entail.

My EM-5 certainly has replaced my desire to take a DSLR with me for casual family outings and such. Doubt I'll ever take a DSLR on vacation etc again.

At the same time, no way my EM-5 is going to replace my D3s for my professional working as a sports photographer.

Its just like a SUV may be able to replace a pickup truck for some people, you can haul plenty of groceries etc in one, but for somethings, nothing but a true heavy duty 4x4 work truck is going to be the tool for heavy hauling etc.

I bet a lot of guys who have a 4x4 Dualie pickup truck also have a smaller car for running errands, long trips etc,where you want to get better than 8 MPG

Just all relative to what you do with your given gear

For some people a EM-5 could probably totally replace a DSLR

For some people a smartphone replaced a DSLR even!

Jim Holloman
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?

The focus tracking is a well known issue.

The photos that you posted are terrific; sharp with excellent color, framing, and DR.

Polariser
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?

I would love to try No 6 one day

Great pics!

JakJenner
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

To replace my 50-200, I bought the Lumix 100-300. What a mistake. The lens cannot keep up with fast paced air show. Focusing was a disaster when it came to the fast moving airplanes. I want my 50-200/EC14 back.

The following images were shot at CFB Borden, Ontario. The day was very hot. I had to quit early because of the focusing frustration, lack of spare battery, and heat.

The camera/lens should make a great static birding kit, but cannot replace a DSLR.

This isn't even a fair comparison. First, it isn't the camera. Second, the Zuiko 50-200 is both more than twice the price and 1.5x faster than the Lumix G 100-300. You should have kept the Zuiko lens and bought the 4/3-m4/3 adapter to continue using it.

wolfie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,496
Like?
Gosh, my E-P3 replaced my Pentax K-7 ...
In reply to intruder61, Jun 12, 2012

and I can shoot soccer and fly fishing action just as well if not better than a conventional DSLR. My only addition was to get a VF-3 EVF so I can follow action with the camera up at my eye in SLR fashion.

I always use S-AF and shoot small bursts for peak of action. From what all the tests are saying, the E-M5 is even faster. Maybe you need to spend a bit of time going through the myriad of customising options to set up the camera to suit your style.

When I get the E-M5 it expect it will be all I want and need for a WR, fast focusing, compact interchangeable lens camera.

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

Juxa
Regular MemberPosts: 145
Like?
In reply to Najinsky, Jun 12, 2012

Najinsky wrote:

I've ordered an Adapter for the OM-D to use the Canon Glass. I doubt I'll get much from it until they add focus peaking (a magnified display of a 400mm equivalent FOV is not going to be easy to keep a target). But at least I can test the quality and see what to expect from it.

-Najinsky

Be sure to turn on viewfinder stabilization on half press, helps alot.

Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?

theres no exif info, but it seems like the shutter speed for the planes is too slow.. or is the lens just not very sharp?

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
That's a rather dodgy title.

You started by saying "An E-M5 cannot replace a dSLR" but when one reads what you actually mean is "A Panny 100-300 cannot replace a TC1.4 and 50-200".

I really liked the E3, we still use one here, if an E7 ever appears we will probabaly buy one.

But in 99% of situations an E-M5 is a much better dSLR.

The 1% is C-AF shooting.

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

Here are some of the images from the air show.

More images here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34292384@N03/sets/72157630108673802/
--
My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...

Jeff.

tommiejeep
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,607
Like?
Millsart has it dead on...
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Jun 12, 2012

even if I'm not up on Pick-ups vs SUVs . You use what is most appropriate at the time.

Louis_Dobson wrote:

What is it you are trying to say?

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong
Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/

Louis_Dobson
Like?
Re: Millsart has it dead on...
In reply to tommiejeep, Jun 12, 2012

I'm not sure I see the potential confusion... An E-M5 and a dSLR will do pretty much the same jobs. You can replace one with another. There are some specific areas where one will shine and the other won't though.

tommiejeep wrote:

even if I'm not up on Pick-ups vs SUVs . You use what is most appropriate at the time.

Louis_Dobson wrote:

What is it you are trying to say?

-- hide signature --

Tom

Louis_Dobson
Like?
A D3 is hardly a representative dSLR though.
In reply to millsart, Jun 12, 2012

It weighs a ton and costs a bomb, and for that you get something that shoots much faster than almost any other dSLR (the E-M5 shoots much faster than most dSLRs) and works in very low light.

So, no, a E-M5 can't replace a large sensor sports orientated dSLR for shooting sports at reasonable range.

That's a rather more specific claim than an E-M5 can't replace a dSLR.

For most jobs, including highly demanding one, an E-M5 is an excellent choice. But it isn't good at C-AF (that's the "M" bit of "MFT") and it can't match an FF camera in bad light (that's the "FT" bit of "MFT").

millsart wrote:

All depends on what your needs entail.

My EM-5 certainly has replaced my desire to take a DSLR with me for casual family outings and such. Doubt I'll ever take a DSLR on vacation etc again.

At the same time, no way my EM-5 is going to replace my D3s for my professional working as a sports photographer.

Its just like a SUV may be able to replace a pickup truck for some people, you can haul plenty of groceries etc in one, but for somethings, nothing but a true heavy duty 4x4 work truck is going to be the tool for heavy hauling etc.

I bet a lot of guys who have a 4x4 Dualie pickup truck also have a smaller car for running errands, long trips etc,where you want to get better than 8 MPG

Just all relative to what you do with your given gear

For some people a EM-5 could probably totally replace a DSLR

For some people a smartphone replaced a DSLR even!

tommiejeep
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,607
Like?
Re: Millsart has it dead on...
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Jun 12, 2012

The wording led me to think you were calling the E-M5 a dSLR or even that an E-M5 'beats' a dSLR 99% of the time

I'm still learning but I do not think the E-M5 will be better than my D700,D3S or even the D300s, for 99% of shooting. I am hoping that I get as good (?) , comfortable with it for some shooting and it will certainly be easier to move around with .

For what you shoot it has obviously replaced your DSLR. Put a D3X, 5DmkII, D800, etc in the hands of a top photographer/expert in PP.....give them an E-M5..will the results be better? Then we have to start thinking about the Glass available for DSLRs . Interesting to see what you say when you get the D800/D800E and zero it in.

I find the entire m43 vs DSLR a bit silly.

Edit......Your response to Millsart...."That's a rather more specific claim than an E-M5 can't replace a dSLR.".... and your 99% was a gross generalization . By the Bye, it is not only sports shooters that want fast AF with Tracking and low light capabilities. Great for action PJ work.
--

Tom

Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 3,866
Like?
Airshow photos.

Love this one!

Is it a Sabre?

How low were they flying?
Nice weather for it, we've got floods again here in England apparently.

pdox
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?

I agree with you about the em5 (which i like very much!) not being able to replace a dslr. The Oly e620 is small and light enough for me to take it with me anywhere if I need dslr performance. The only thing that bothers me is its much poorer high ISO performance compared to the em5 and the relatively loud shutter click. The em5 can be frustrating as you said, when shooting moving objects or when I just need it to focus on what I want it to (tiny objects against a busy background such as a spider on a web etc. - no trouble with my e510 but many hits and misses with em5). Overall though, enjoy the em5 a lot and love to take it hiking.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads