how do you open D-Lux 5 RWL files

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions
Batzorig
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
how do you open D-Lux 5 RWL files
Jun 12, 2012

I have a Leica D-Lux 5 and recently tried to open a RWL (camera raw) file shot by this camera. I tried to open it on two computers, one is Win 7 and the other is Apple. Both photoshop CS4 and CS2 didn't recognize this file. I also tried opening it with my Canon Digital Professional Software. Finally I installed the Photoshop Element that came with the Leica on my Mac. Even then the program still couldn't open the file. I thought-What the heck is that?

I still need a help on this. I want to learn how to open the Raw images shot with my Leica D-Lux 5. Thanks for help.
--
Bat

Batzorig's gear list:Batzorig's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Leica D-LUX 5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Edmund Dorf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099Gear list
Like?
A Program That Can Open RAW Format Files
In reply to Batzorig, Jun 12, 2012

I use Adobe Camera Raw. There are others.

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting:

Canon Powershot G12
Canon Rebel Xs DSLR with kit lens, 50mm F1.8 II lens, and 55-250mm IS telephoto
Fujifilm E550
Leica D-Lux 4
Olympus PEN E-PL1 with Kit zoom lens, Olympus M.Zuiko

17mm F2.8, Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm, Olympus 45mm F1.8, Canon FD 50mm F1.4, Olympus Zuiko 50mm F1.8, Pentax 135mm F2.5, Pentax 50mm F1.7, Panasonic 20mm F1.7.

Panasonic DMC-GH2 with the kit lens and all of the lenses that I have for my Olympus PEN E-PL1.
Sanyo HD2000 HD camcorder/8 and 12 megapixel stills
Sony DSC-TX7

Edmund Dorf's gear list:Edmund Dorf's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR Canon EOS 60D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
warnica
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Re: how do you open D-Lux 5 RWL files
In reply to Batzorig, Jun 12, 2012

Aperture will open them.

MrLaki
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094
Like?
In reply to Batzorig, Jun 13, 2012

I don't know if there are any updates for your installed SW so they can open the DLUX 5 raw files, but if you install the provided Adobe Lightroom (which you can download after the registration of your camera) it will open it.

-- hide signature --

cheers
laki

Homer: If The Flintstones has taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

http://www.konstantinou.com

Batzorig
Like?
In reply to MrLaki, Jun 15, 2012

MrLaki wrote:

I don't know if there are any updates for your installed SW so they can open the DLUX 5 raw files, but if you install the provided Adobe Lightroom (which you can download after the registration of your camera) it will open it.

My DLUX5 came only with Photoshop Elements. I downloaded DLUX 5 Firmware Update Version 2 hoping it should fix the problem. But it doesn't open neither on Win 7 or on Mac. It opens but it starts playing a blank Quick time movie for a minute and nothing happens. It was such a weird stuff.

I don't know where I could download Adobe Lightroom, and I don't remember any of my two computers asking for a camera registration after plugging in. I don't want to get any Software that costs money. I think Leica should have provided the software that is compatible with its camera. It is very odd that the provided install disk can not open the files from the very camera that it was made for.

Still in need of help.

l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 16,944Gear list
Like?
In reply to Batzorig, Jun 15, 2012

I wonder where or from whom you bought your DL5! All DL5 come with LR3. When you register your camera with Leica, they give you a key and a link where you can download and install the software for free !

I never heard of DL5 coming with PS Elements!...

Now, you should go to Adobe site and download ACR and DING Coverter. This is how I convert my DL5 files. This converter is also free. Chose a version that is not higher than 5; so your PS could open them. The latest version only works with CS6 (or5) if I am not wrong! But even if you take the latest version, you can still set it up for older photoshops.

Good luck
--
Louis

My DPR Gallery (Shots with Dlux3, Dlux4,Dlux5, Nikon D300)
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6584690903/photos/slideshow
My contributions to DPR Challenges:
http://www.dpreview.com/members/6584690903/challenges

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D300
Edward48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,994
Like?
In reply to Batzorig, Jun 15, 2012

Bat, this should do the trick. Much cheaper than buying CS5.
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5388

It will convert your RAW files to DNG, which you can then go ahead and process in CS4.

All the best
Mike

Batzorig wrote:

I have a Leica D-Lux 5 and recently tried to open a RWL (camera raw) file shot by this camera. I tried to open it on two computers, one is Win 7 and the other is Apple. Both photoshop CS4 and CS2 didn't recognize this file. I also tried opening it with my Canon Digital Professional Software. Finally I installed the Photoshop Element that came with the Leica on my Mac. Even then the program still couldn't open the file. I thought-What the heck is that?

I still need a help on this. I want to learn how to open the Raw images shot with my Leica D-Lux 5. Thanks for help.
--
Bat

Edward48
Like?
Louis...
In reply to l_objectif, Jun 15, 2012

... you beat me to it

l_objectif wrote:

I wonder where or from whom you bought your DL5! All DL5 come with LR3. When you register your camera with Leica, they give you a key and a link where you can download and install the software for free !

I never heard of DL5 coming with PS Elements!...

Now, you should go to Adobe site and download ACR and DING Coverter. This is how I convert my DL5 files. This converter is also free. Chose a version that is not higher than 5; so your PS could open them. The latest version only works with CS6 (or5) if I am not wrong! But even if you take the latest version, you can still set it up for older photoshops.

Good luck
--
Louis

Batzorig
Like?
In reply to l_objectif, Jun 18, 2012

l_objectif wrote:

I bought it from Authorized Leica dealer in Seoul Korea. I bought two or three Leicas from that dealer. But never bothered shooting in RAW mode before and never realized it was such a complicated deal to open the RAW file from DL5.

My question is how do you register DL5? I have a warranty card in which the Serial number is written. I went to leica.com and couldn't find any registration link.

I downloaded the Camera Raw and DNG converter both on my Win7 with adobe CS4 and on my Mac with Adobe CS2. The DNG Converter supposedly works fine. It quickly converts the RWL file into DNG. But when I try to open that file either on Photoshop or on Digital Photo Professional by Canon, none can open the DNG file. Photoshop says it is not a supported file type. DPP can't recognize the file type.

I don't understand why it has to be so complicated. I did download the right version of Camera raw and DNG Converter for my CS4. But for my CS2 on my Mac, adobe didn't release a version for Mac. Nonetheless, I downloaded the DNG Converter Version 7 and converted the RWL to DNG and hoped that either Photoshop of Digital Photo Professional must open the converted file. But it doesn't open.

My only chance now is to register the camera and get the link for the free software as I_ojectif mentioned. Please God help me if not Leica.

Edward48
Like?
In reply to Batzorig, Jun 18, 2012

Batzorig wrote:

My question is how do you register DL5? I have a warranty card in which the Serial number is written. I went to leica.com and couldn't find any registration link.

When you go to the Leica site, at the top right there should be an 'Owners Login' link. You can register there and log in. Once in you should be able to find the software download.

Mike

Batzorig
Like?
In reply to Edward48, Jun 21, 2012

Thanks to Mike, I was able to finally open and edit the RWL file from DL-5. I went to the Leica website and downloaded the Lightroom program. It allows the users to download the program 2 times. The first one I mistakenly downloaded Lightroom 4 for my Mac OS 10.5. It didn't work on my Macbook with Tiger OS because Lightroom 4 is designed for operating systems later than Mac OS 10.6. Instead of Lightroom 4 I should have chosen Lightroom 3.

The download page didn't clearly state that. But the System Requirements info was hidden within the small letters with rollover link. I am a little disappointed that I wasn't able to get the program work with my Macbook.

The second time I downloaded for my PC and it worked. And I am happy that I could get help from nice people in this forum.
--
Bat

l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 16,944Gear list
Like?
In reply to Batzorig, Jun 21, 2012

I am glad Mike was here to help! I didn't check this thread!

As you can download twice; do it once for the PC version and the second for Mac version.

As for DNG converter; if it is not working with your version of Photoshop, open it and on the right bottom you will see "Preferances". There, you can set to an older version and your PS will open the DNG!

Good luck!
--
Louis

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D300
tele_player
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
In reply to l_objectif, Jun 21, 2012

Many people misunderstand this - Leica's limit on the number of downloads is meaningless and irrelevant - the same Adobe products can be downloaded for free from Adobe.

The valuable item that Leica is supposed to provide is the license key (a bunch of numbers) which activates the software beyond the 30-day demo time limit.

-robert

l_objectif wrote:

I am glad Mike was here to help! I didn't check this thread!

As you can download twice; do it once for the PC version and the second for Mac version.

As for DNG converter; if it is not working with your version of Photoshop, open it and on the right bottom you will see "Preferances". There, you can set to an older version and your PS will open the DNG!

Good luck!
--
Louis

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads