New macbook pro retina display..

Started Jun 11, 2012 | Discussions
Dan Brenner
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?
New macbook pro retina display..
Jun 11, 2012

I've just ordered the just announced new Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro with Retina display at a 2880x1880 resolution. This will be a welcome companion to my D800 on the road. Ships in 5-7 days. Top of the line model with 768GB SSD and 16GB memory for $3,500 and free shipping.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hibiki Rush
Regular MemberPosts: 176
Like?
Re: New macbook pro retina display..
In reply to Dan Brenner, Jun 11, 2012

Because shipping for that laptop would be such a huge factor...

So do you NEED this laptop or are you buying it just because? Are you looking for a pat on the back that you spent a large amount of money on gear, and most likely don't have the means of making that money back through paid assignments?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,020Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hibiki Rush, Jun 11, 2012

Looks nice, but I find it weird that they've killed the 17" and no word of a updated iMac. I'm holding out for an iMac bump, til then, my pixelated crap MacBook Pro will have to work.
--
Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
http://www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Dan Brenner
Like?

I always try to work with the most professional tools out there, and that includes the most capable and enjoyable laptop available. This is the best ever screen on a laptop up to date!!!

Ken Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,810
Like?

So Mr. Rush, it sounds like YOU are making a lot of assumptions that you cannot substantiate about this purchaser. It would seem to me that you have a severe case of envy. You know, there are some of us around that actually have cash for these things.

Why do you feel a need to put down someone you likely do not even know? Sounds like an uncalled for attack/ rant to me...

Have a nice day Mr. Rush

Hibiki Rush wrote:

So do you NEED this laptop or are you buying it just because? Are you looking for a pat on the back that you spent a large amount of money on gear, and most likely don't have the means of making that money back

Dan Brenner
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, Jun 11, 2012

The iMac should be next, probably in a few months time, with a stunning retina display of 5120x2880 resolution.

Ken Leonard
Like?

The reason that Apple cut the 17 inch is simply that they were no selling many. Not profitable. For me, I am a bit upset that they did not announce a new Mac Pro...

InTheMist wrote:

Looks nice, but I find it weird that they've killed the 17" and no word of a updated iMac. I'm holding out for an iMac bump, til then, my pixelated crap MacBook Pro will have to work.
--
Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
http://www.flickr.com/InTheMist

golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 645
Like?

Hibiki Rush wrote:

So do you NEED this laptop or are you buying it just because? Are you looking for a pat on the back that you spent a large amount of money on gear, and most likely don't have the means of making that money back through paid assignments?

Wow how unnecessarily aggressive. You sound rather jealous!!! Grow up

jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,084
Like?
In reply to Ken Leonard, Jun 11, 2012
Logan Nolag
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?

Just because you don't necessarily need something doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't buy it. I think that if you have the money go ahead. Nice things aren't just for professionals. Who cares if you don't recoup the purchase price by using the item as long as you can afford it. Based on your logic people should only buy what they need not what they want and can afford which is not the way modern capitalist societies work at all.

Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,366
Like?
Great news for windows laptop users

I don't use Macs. I don't really like their interface having been a windows user all my life and I think they are overpriced for their performance level... but...

This screen looks seriously awesome. Not just the fact that it is a high resolution display, but the fact that it uses IPS technology for vastly improved viewing angles to give colour / tonal consistency. Nearly all laptops to date have been blighted by poor viewing angles and this almost certainly means that windows laptops will have to up their game to compete.

Great news for all of us I hope.

Congratulations on your purchase.
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

Tiki
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?

Dan Brenner wrote:

Ships in 5-7 days. Top of the line model with 768GB SSD and 16GB memory for $3,500 and free shipping.

Not if you ordered the 768GB SSD. It already said 3-5 weeks the moment the Apple Store was open for business. All other configurations said 5-7 days.

Ken Leonard
Like?
In reply to jfriend00, Jun 11, 2012

Thanks, for the many thousands of RAW photos I will be taking with the not yet in my hands D800 I am going to need the speed of the new Mac Pro. This was not announced in the keynote. As for a retina display the new iPad 3 or whatever it is called is awesome for showing off your portfolio.

jfriend00 wrote:

Ken Leonard wrote:

For me, I am a bit upset that they did not announce a new Mac Pro...

New Mac Pro:
http://www.apple.com/macpro/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-rolls-out-updated-mac-pro-lineup-with-faster-processors-n/

AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 863Gear list
Like?

How rude and totally uncalled for. You sound quite bitter about something.

Hibiki Rush wrote:

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Jon Rty
Senior MemberPosts: 3,838
Like?

It's certainly a capable laptop, but come now, it has pros and cons like any other device. The form-factor, build quality, battery-life and resolution are all top of the line. And if that's what's important to you, then it's obviously a great choice for you. But if you're willing to sacrifice size, battery-life and resolution, you can get laptops with more processing power as well as better color reproduction. Or if you're willing to sacrifice processing power and resolution, you can get a even smaller, more portable device. There's no such thing as a single best computer.

Dan Brenner wrote:

I always try to work with the most professional tools out there, and that includes the most capable and enjoyable laptop available. This is the best ever screen on a laptop up to date!!!

Jon Rty
Like?

They did give the Mac Pros Ivy Bridge CPUs, so that's something.

Ken Leonard wrote:

The reason that Apple cut the 17 inch is simply that they were no selling many. Not profitable. For me, I am a bit upset that they did not announce a new Mac Pro...

Jon Rty
Like?
Re: Great news for windows laptop users
In reply to Photo Pete, Jun 11, 2012

IPS has started to become more common in consumer laptops already, with especially Asus leading the charger.

Photo Pete wrote:

I don't use Macs. I don't really like their interface having been a windows user all my life and I think they are overpriced for their performance level... but...

This screen looks seriously awesome. Not just the fact that it is a high resolution display, but the fact that it uses IPS technology for vastly improved viewing angles to give colour / tonal consistency. Nearly all laptops to date have been blighted by poor viewing angles and this almost certainly means that windows laptops will have to up their game to compete.

Great news for all of us I hope.

Congratulations on your purchase.
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

Jon Rty
Like?

I take it your current Mac Pro isn't running Sandy Bridge CPUs? Because if that's the case, you won't gain all that much by upgrading to Ivy Bridge.

Ken Leonard wrote:

Thanks, for the many thousands of RAW photos I will be taking with the not yet in my hands D800 I am going to need the speed of the new Mac Pro. This was not announced in the keynote. As for a retina display the new iPad 3 or whatever it is called is awesome for showing off your portfolio.

herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,367
Like?

InTheMist wrote:

--

Just gives me more time to save for mine...as I've still got time before my D800 arrives, but I was still hoping on some Imac news today...My MacBook Pro is probably older than your pixelated crap one is

-- hide signature --

Herby

Ken Leonard
Like?
In reply to Jon Rty, Jun 11, 2012

Jon, I do not currently have a Mac Pro. Have almost every other Mac product tho

Ken

Jon Rty wrote:

I take it your current Mac Pro isn't running Sandy Bridge CPUs? Because if that's the case, you won't gain all that much by upgrading to Ivy Bridge.

Ken Leonard wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads