Lenses I want announced tomorrow...

Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions
Legion5
Senior MemberPosts: 1,047
Like?
Lenses I want announced tomorrow...
Jun 10, 2012

Canon 35mm 1.4 L Mark II - Updated coatings, better than 24mm II sharpness - $1400

Why?

It's embarassing that Nikon has a 35mm 1.4 that isn't over a decade old and is much better than ours.

Canon 135mm 1.8 L IS - Updated coatings, faster aperture, sharper and IS. - $1800

Why?

Sony already makes this lens sans IS with slightly worse purple fringing at the $1800 price point. Improve on the PF and add IS to their design and you have a winner.

Canon 50mm 1.4 L - a weather sealed super charged 50mm 1.4 - $900

Why?

It's embarassing that Canon doesn't have a professional grade 50mm lens focused on image quality instead of aperture. If you're going to make an L lens that is so focused on fast aperture that it sacrifices everything else like the 50mm 1.2L you need another one that satisfies the people who want sharpness. I think Canon might be affraid that making such a lens will canibalize 50mm 1.2L sales, but really people who want a sharp 50mm are just going to get the 1.4 and then Canon loses out on a lot of money.

Anyone else have a top 3 realistic lenses you want announced right away?

RS_RS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,357
Like?
Re: Lenses I want announced tomorrow...
In reply to Legion5, Jun 10, 2012

All of the following are realistic. The first two may even be in the pipeline based on publishedf patents.

EF 60/2.8L IS USM Macro

There is a role for a FF macro/copying lens in the 50mm to 60mm range, and I want one that has moved on from the 50/2.5.

EF 100~400/4~5.6L IS USM

Better optical performance at the long end and current-generation IS. Probably designed like the 70~300L on steroids.

EF 16~40/4L IS

An optically much better successor to the 17~40. IS would be nice as well, but not at the cost either of IQ or size/weight/bulk.

S-E S 15/2.8L

A compact shift-only lens for crop factor with the same angle of view as the TS-E 24/3.5 on FF. Settle for f/3.5 or f/4 if that makes it easier. Why not tilt? Because (a) of keeping cost/bulk/weight down, and (b) additional DoF on crop makes tilt less necesary at this sort of focal length, so the gains would not be at too grat a cost in functionality. BUT, and it is a big but, I would like the shift and rotation to be electronically indexedt o allow automatic aberration correction regardless of how the lens was set (not actually a big problem, whereas it would be for tilt).

EF S 15~70/4L IS USM

Time for Canon to recognise that crop factor has come of age with the 7D and L-series construction is approproate - we already have L-series optical quality with the 10~22 and 17~55.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?

Legion5 wrote:

Canon 35mm 1.4 L Mark II - Updated coatings, better than 24mm II sharpness - $1400

$1,400? You are dreaming...

Why?

It's embarassing that Nikon has a 35mm 1.4 that isn't over a decade old and is much better than ours.

What makes it "much better"? It is not what I see here:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=121&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=750&CameraComp=614&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Worse center, better borders.

Not that the 35L is not due for an upgrade, I will most likely replace mine with the mkII if the price is similar to the 24L II.

graphikal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,783
Like?

Legion5 wrote:

Nikon's 35 is not actually much better, but the 35L could use a refresh.

An updated 35 f/2 or 35 f/1.8 with better optics and AF, with build similar to the 28 f/1.8, would be welcome.

An updated 28mm f/1.8 or f/2 would be much appreciated.

A 24mm f/2 with similar build and USM would be great too.

Canon 135mm 1.8 L IS - Updated coatings, faster aperture, sharper and IS. - $1800

Sounds good, along with an updated 135 f/2.8.

I think it'll never happen. They'd have to admit they screwed up with the 50 f/1.2L. I'd like to see these in the 50mm area:

50mm f/1.8 or f/2 with improved build, optics and AF (USM), to replace the sucky f/1.8

50mm f/1.4 (either an improved consumer version with build like the 85 f/1.8, or I guess a cheaper L version would be fine)

50 f/1.0L, to give the apparently desired bragging rights with enough distance for a consumer f/1.4 with decent build

In-body IS, instead of ridiculous lenses like the 24/28 IS

rpiotr01
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?

400 5.6 L IS - $1800

Makes too much sense for this to not happen. I think a $500 premium for IS would be right, but most likely this lens would be $2000.

50 1.4 II - $500

Keep build quality and size the same. Improve AF and bokeh. Canon needs a better normal fast prime for the masses. Current version is good but long in the tooth. Doesn't hold up to performance of Sigma and new Nikon version.

Other than that I don't think there's a ton missing in their lineup. Maybe a 17-40 II to improve corner performance. IS would have been nice in the 24-70 II, but it already looks like performance is going to be stunning for that one. There are lots of lenses they make that I want to buy, I just can't afford them all!

Phil BH
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?

Legion5 wrote:

Why?

Why?

Sony already makes this lens sans IS with slightly worse purple fringing at the $1800 price point. Improve on the PF and add IS to their design and you have a winner.

Switch to Sony or Nikon, or, quit obsessing and take pictures, print them and realize that the quality is actually very good for printing rather than pixel peeking. It seems to me people today are too caught up in gear rather than technique or artistic ability. The camera and lenses are simply tools, a good photographer can take better images with a cheap disposable camera than a mediocre photographer can with the latest, greatest gear.

I also see so many people over processing their images, creating "artistic" effects such as altering the tint of the image in the horrendously popular style of making the image look like old film rendering any IQ issues absolutely immaterial.

Canon makes some very good lenses, Nikon does as well, so does Sony. You are better off using them than you are waiting for that magic lens to appear that will make you a better photographer.

Matt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,899
Like?
this
In reply to Peter 13, Jun 10, 2012

What makes it "much better"? It is not what I see here:

The Nikon 1.4 probably doesnt have a self destruct AF mechanism ....

-- hide signature --

Nothing to see here ...

graphikal
Like?
Blah blah blah
In reply to Phil BH, Jun 10, 2012

Don't be stupid, at least more often than necessary.

Phil BH wrote:

Switch to Sony or Nikon, or, quit obsessing and take pictures, print them and realize that the quality is actually very good for printing rather than pixel peeking. It seems to me people today are too caught up in gear rather than technique or artistic ability. The camera and lenses are simply tools, a good photographer can take better images with a cheap disposable camera than a mediocre photographer can with the latest, greatest gear.

Mentioning a desire regarding gear does not constitute obsessing and ignoring the process of taking pictures. Your ho-hum realizations don't qualify as wisdom. A good photographer with good gear can take better pictures than a good photographer with crappy gear-- and here's a newsflash: technical merits of a photograph may matter too! I'm surprised that with your obvious mastery of the photographic art form you have never become aware of this.

I also see so many people over processing their images, creating "artistic" effects such as altering the tint of the image in the horrendously popular style of making the image look like old film rendering any IQ issues absolutely immaterial.

So because some people, in your opinion, overprocess images, no one else can discuss the optical and other technical qualities of lenses without being shouted down (by you).

I see what you did there. But it doesn't quite qualify as a logical argument.

Plenty of other websites provide some decent-quality forums. Maybe you should find your way over there.

tko
tko
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,886
Like?
I would love a new 50MM

I use the 85 and 135 for ringside indoor sports. But there's nothing usable under 85MM. The 50MM 1.4 is so unreliable and has so many focusing problems. The 1.2L is worse I think (for sports). And the 50MM 1.8 ???

A new 50MM, F1.4 would be a lens I'd jump on instantly.

Why?

It's embarassing that Canon doesn't have a professional grade 50mm lens focused on image quality instead of aperture. If you're going to make an L lens that is so focused on fast aperture that it sacrifices everything else like the 50mm 1.2L you need another one that satisfies the people who want sharpness. I think Canon might be affraid that making such a lens will canibalize 50mm 1.2L sales, but really people who want a sharp 50mm are just going to get the 1.4 and then Canon loses out on a lot of money.

Suave
Contributing MemberPosts: 881Gear list
Like?
In reply to graphikal, Jun 10, 2012

graphikal wrote:

Now, that's somethng that'll never happen, not unless Nikon does it first.

Suave's gear list:Suave's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +2 more
graphikal
Like?
I don't know about that
In reply to Suave, Jun 10, 2012

Nikon has been eating a lot of Canon's lunch due to their complete about-face, begun years ago. If Canon were to throw out the current marketing geniuses who remain focused on their perceived-to-be-safe incremental, anti-cannibalization strategy, without real innovation-- and actually become focused on the consumer's wants-- they could well change.

The new boneheaded introductions of the short stabilized primes show that that's not their current plan, but if they were to become more market-focused, it could be.

In the meantime all the people who used to yammer that not only would it not be done, it could not be, have been silenced by Sony's introduction of stabilization in full frame. And of course a good chunk of the market has been lost to micro 4/3 as well, which features stabilized bodies.

All it really takes is for Canon to wake up, realize a market opportunity, and to take it. It would also involve of course involve their "rape the consumer" mentality in the short term, as Nikon has done. But for this reason I'd also agree that Nikon is more likely to introduce it first.

Suave wrote:

graphikal wrote:

Now, that's somethng that'll never happen, not unless Nikon does it first.

-- hide signature --

"Good artists copy; great artists steal... We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." - Steve Jobs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

tarjei99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,001
Like?
In reply to rpiotr01, Jun 10, 2012

rpiotr01 wrote:

400 5.6 L IS - $1800

Makes too much sense for this to not happen. I think a $500 premium for IS would be right, but most likely this lens would be $2000.

Sigh.

There is no premium for IS any more. But there is a significant premium for better glass.

Black Dot Bob
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?

A Great artists will make great paintings in spite of his tools.

CraigArnold
Regular MemberPosts: 479Gear list
Like?
Not realistic but...

As Canon have suddenly had a change of heart re pancackes...

24 f2.8 L
35 f2 L
50 f2 L
85 f2 L

All half the size, weight and price of their 1.4 or 1.2 siblings, and very good wide open.

All with USM (or STM if it is superior), L coatings and build quality. I really don't like big and heavy lenses if I have a choice, and usually I can manage with more than 1cm DOF for most pictures.

-- hide signature --

Blog ------------------------ http://peri.org.uk/wp/?tag=blog
X100 Blog ----------------- http://peri.org.uk/wp/?cat=16
X100 Quickstart Guide -- http://peri.org.uk/wp/?page_id=1345

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Suave
Like?
Re: I don't know about that

I haven't been following IS discussions for a while. Did they really stop? I'd think that in-lens proponents would keep coming up with new ways to support Canon's position. Of course I myself think that Sony or Pentax one day will deliver a real kick in the teeth by developing a 5+ stop in body stabilization. I'm just not sure Canon will preceive it as such. On the other hand Canon has dismissed mirrorless in the past and now they are rumored to be working on one...

Olympus PEN E-PL2 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +2 more
Suave
Like?

Legion5 wrote:

Canon 35mm 1.4 L Mark II - Updated coatings, better than 24mm II sharpness - ~$1400~

$2200. Why? Because we can.

Canon 135mm 1.8 L IS - Updated coatings, faster aperture, sharper and IS. - ~$1800~

$4000. Why? Because 200/2 is 6k

Canon 50mm 1.4 L - a weather sealed super charged~ 50mm 1.4 - $900

may be $700, 50/2 IS - that'd be 900

tko
tko
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,886
Like?
but a great artist
In reply to Black Dot Bob, Jun 10, 2012

Will always search for better tools.

You think Renaissance painters dabbed with mud?

Phil BH
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?
Re: Blah blah blah

graphikal wrote:

Don't be stupid, at least more often than necessary.

I never called anyone stupid. It is a shame you had to stoop to that level.

Mentioning a desire regarding gear does not constitute obsessing and ignoring the process of taking pictures. Your ho-hum realizations don't qualify as wisdom. A good photographer with good gear can take better pictures than a good photographer with crappy gear-- and here's a newsflash: technical merits of a photograph may matter too! I'm surprised that with your obvious mastery of the photographic art form you have never become aware of this.

A little harsh, and yes, I do believe many are obsessing. It is fine, fun and interesting to want the very best and to discuss gear and the merits of different lenses or bodies, I never said it was. I did respond however to the OP stating that others have better lenses, then switch. Canon makes good lenses, so does Nikon, so does Sonny, so does Leica, etc., etc., etc. I didn't name call or imply that the original poster didn't know what he or she was talking about. Nor did I say the original poster wasn't a good photographer. I did respond to the demand of the original poster that Canon announce certain lenses tomorrow, and yes, I understand that OP wasn't truly demanding they announce the new lenses tomorrow, but just expressing a desire. The OP was however rather harsh in talking about how embarrassing it was that Canon didn't do this or that. I really am not embarrassed about any of my Canon gear.

So because some people, in your opinion, overprocess images, no one else can discuss the optical and other technical qualities of lenses without being shouted down (by you).

I see what you did there. But it doesn't quite qualify as a logical argument.

Plenty of other websites provide some decent-quality forums. Maybe you should find your way over there.

Once again, I made a comment, based on what I have seen, on this and other forums, and I don;t recall "shouting anyone down. You however have called me stupid and told me my argument doesn't qualify. I simply made a comment, it is based on what I have seen, directed at images that are processed to look old and of poor quality, it was a statement that applied to that type of photography to the effect that you could use any gear for that and quality IQ would not come into play. It was not to deride that type of photography, it was simply a statement of fact. You could use any gear for that.

Debating good gear is never and issue, nor is my response which just added one more facet to the conversation. I wasn't derisive nor argumentative, at least that was not the intent. I do honestly believe many people are more worried about gear and tests of gear than actually taking pictures. And you know what? that's okay, it's just another part of photography, some people are more into gear.

So I am very sorry that you are offended, I didn't mean to offend you. I am quite happy in this forum thank you, I never said anything to the contrary. I would though appreciate not being called stupid when I did nothing to provoke that in the first place. Everyone deserves to be treated with a little more respect that that.

graphikal
Like?
Re: I don't know about that

Suave wrote:

I haven't been following IS discussions for a while. Did they really stop?

Mostly. I saw a minor resurgence when the 100L came out. It seems to be mostly accepted now that in-body IS can work well.

Of course I myself think that Sony or Pentax one day will deliver a real kick in the teeth by developing a 5+ stop in body stabilization.

I hope so. That might be the best chance for Canon feeling pressured to introduce in-body IS.

I'm just not sure Canon will preceive it as such.

Me either. But my biggest hope is that someday I will have a Rebel with in-body stabilization to give new life to my primes in a smallish package I can take anywhere in low light.

Seaclam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,703
Like?

I'd certainly like to see a 400/5.6 w/IS. Heck, I'd like to see a 500/5.6 w IS. I used to have the 300/2.8 IS v1 a few years ago and it got very little use. The 300 f/4 got a lot more use, although it's IS does need updating. I prefer a smaller, lighter weight, hand-held option as I don't care for lugging around bulky, heavy equipment that doesn't lend itself very well to hand-held use.

-- hide signature --

Photography, like many other hobbies, persuits and art forms, is first and foremost about having fun and exploring.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads