Olympus E-pl1 Vs. Panasonic Lumix DMC-Gf2

Started Jun 9, 2012 | Discussions
ItsEd
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Olympus E-pl1 Vs. Panasonic Lumix DMC-Gf2
Jun 9, 2012

I've seen the reviews for both cameras and they are great but i still need help deciding which one is worth buying.

Olympus PEN E-PL1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,562Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus E-pl1 Vs. Panasonic Lumix DMC-Gf2
In reply to ItsEd, Jun 9, 2012

ItsEd wrote:

I've seen the reviews for both cameras and they are great but i still need help deciding which one is worth buying.

If you need faster focus in lower light, get the GF2.

If you want nicer out-of-camera JPGs get the E-PL1

If you want a larger display, get the GF2

If you are going to buy the external viewfinder, the one for the EPL1 is better than the one for the GF2.

It all depends on how you are going to use the camera....

If you do not need a hotshoe, my suggestion would be to get the GF3 instead. It is faster focusing than the GF2 or EPL1, has a beautiful LCD, has better JPG colors than the GF2, and is available for VERY cheap at the moment ($379 including the 14mm prime lens....)

If you plan to use the EPL1 as a digital back for legacy lenses, and you are not planning to take many low light or fast action shots, then it is a truly great value at the moment, and it can produce beautiful photos. However, if you are planning to use it in dark areas or to focus on moving objects it will leave you frustrated, as it is pokey as heck to find focus and lock, especially in those conditions.

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ItsEd
Like?
Re: Olympus E-pl1 Vs. Panasonic Lumix DMC-Gf2
In reply to jalywol, Jun 9, 2012

Thanks for the info

ttan98
Contributing MemberPosts: 934
Like?
Re: If you live with the quirks of Olympus E-pl1....
In reply to jalywol, Jun 9, 2012

then buy it otherwise forget it.

The quirks include the following:

1. Difficult to focus when the light is poor
2. Blurring shots at certain speeds in my case 1/60 or 1/80
3. slow auto focus
4. Poor low light performance(you get this with GF2 as well)

all these have been proven, and I am not making them up, I still own an E-PL1 it does worth very much in the second hand market.

getting an E-PM1 will solve all the the first 3 issues above. The only advantage it gives you is it can give you great images if you are willing to learn to live with these quirks and get around them them and its limitations.

ItsEd
Like?
In reply to ttan98, Jun 9, 2012

I decided to get the gf2 instead of the e-pl1. Thanks

tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
The problem with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-Gf2
In reply to ItsEd, Jun 10, 2012

ItsEd wrote:

is that you can't adjust the on board flash output. The GF-1 didn't have this problem nor does the GX-1. GF-3 does have this problem.

Also, the E-pl1 supports off camera wireless TTL remote flash control. This is really neat if you want to do portraits, etc. None of the Panny's do. The GF-2 takes better video. Tedolph RIP

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,939Gear list
Like?
E-PL1 2.7" (low resolution) display is really BAD, recess design also attract dirt
In reply to jalywol, Jun 10, 2012

I would strongly urge you to HOLD ONE in person. E-PL1 is the worst Olympus I'd ever held, and I had held E-P1, E-P2, e-420, e-510, e-620. I find its low resolution 2.7" LCD inadequate, and build quality very poor. You can find $80 point/shoot with better build quality and sharper lcd. I also dislike how LCD is recessed inward and attract dust and grim buildup.

I don't hate Olympus, but E-PL1 give me the chill. I would highly recommend you look into the much superior e-PL2

• 3" high resolution 460K LCD does Olympus justice

• Build Quality is awesome, e-PL2 feel much like a e-P2

• Smooth anti-reflective covering (not recessed) doesn't attract dust & grims

• revised 14-42 kit lens also focus faster

I would serious consider E-PL2 vs GF2. I have GF2 and I love it. Both have 3" 460K LCD, both have solid build. GF2 focus faster and has touch screen. I really love how Panasonic implement its touch-screen focus. I can get pin-point accuracy by pressing where I want camera to focus. This is more natural than pressing 4 way buttons or turing circular wheels until 1 of its AF point hit where you want to focus.

Newest Olympus E-P3 is also touch-screen, and can do everything a Panasonic GF2/3 can do. But Panasonic GF2 is very cheap, and Olympus e-P3 is still fairly expensive.

jalywol wrote:

ItsEd wrote:

If you need faster focus in lower light, get the GF2.

If you want nicer out-of-camera JPGs get the E-PL1

If you want a larger display, get the GF2

If you are going to buy the external viewfinder, the one for the EPL1 is better than the one for the GF2.

It all depends on how you are going to use the camera....

If you do not need a hotshoe, my suggestion would be to get the GF3 instead. It is faster focusing than the GF2 or EPL1, has a beautiful LCD, has better JPG colors than the GF2, and is available for VERY cheap at the moment ($379 including the 14mm prime lens....)

If you plan to use the EPL1 as a digital back for legacy lenses, and you are not planning to take many low light or fast action shots, then it is a truly great value at the moment, and it can produce beautiful photos. However, if you are planning to use it in dark areas or to focus on moving objects it will leave you frustrated, as it is pokey as heck to find focus and lock, especially in those conditions.

-J

AMorriss
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to ttan98, Jun 10, 2012

ttan98 wrote:

The quirks include the following:

1. Difficult to focus when the light is poor
2. Blurring shots at certain speeds in my case 1/60 or 1/80
3. slow auto focus
4. Poor low light performance(you get this with GF2 as well)

Are these problems specific to this one model, or do all PEN cameras exhibit this behavior?

I've got an E-PL1 w/ 40-150mm lens on order from Cameta. Hopefully, these quirks won't be too much of a distraction for me. For the price, I'm willing to put up with a few inadequacies.

what_i_saw
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?
Re: E-PL1 2.7" (low resolution) display is really BAD, recess design also attrac
In reply to 007peter, Jun 10, 2012

007peter wrote:

I would strongly urge you to HOLD ONE in person. E-PL1 is the worst Olympus I'd ever held, and I had held E-P1, E-P2, e-420, e-510, e-620. I find its low resolution 2.7" LCD inadequate, and build quality very poor. You can find $80 point/shoot with better build quality and sharper lcd. I also dislike how LCD is recessed inward and attract dust and grim buildup.

That recessed LCD screen is not easily scratched. Because it is recessed.

Build quality is not bad. For the price at which it is going now.

LCD is ok. Again for the price it is going. Increase the brightness to work in daylight.

what_i_saw's gear list:what_i_saw's gear list
Ricoh GR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads