A3 Plus Size Prints from the X100 Question

Started Jun 9, 2012 | Discussions
MuMinded
Senior MemberPosts: 1,938
Like?
A3 Plus Size Prints from the X100 Question
Jun 9, 2012

Hi,

Just want some feedback from people that have taken a X100 file to the A3 Plus size in print.. 14X17" I guess would be in Imperial size..

I mainly print this size for portrait (outdoor situational) and intimate landscape. So, I need detail to hold up well..

I can take my D300 to this size, but the files start breaking down pretty quickly and I need tack sharp images to do it..

(I'm a bit anal about sharpness in my images... )

Any feedback welcome.. Thanks.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,998
Like?
Re: A3 Plus Size Prints from the X100 Question
In reply to MuMinded, Jun 9, 2012

MuMinded wrote:

Hi,

Just want some feedback from people that have taken a X100 file to the A3 Plus size in print.. 14X17" I guess would be in Imperial size..

I mainly print this size for portrait (outdoor situational) and intimate landscape. So, I need detail to hold up well..

I can take my D300 to this size, but the files start breaking down pretty quickly and I need tack sharp images to do it..

A3+ is actually 13"x19" so if you use the whole image without cropping, you'll end up with 220 PPI which for me is just fine I had very good results even with less but of course it depends on the subject. With a good PP work and a good paper, you won't have any problem.

Moti

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,382
Like?

The X100 sensor outperforms the D300. You will have no issues printing A3 despite the slightly lower resolution. 2MP is not really a noticeable difference.

Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?

Depends on use/viewing distance - I've got an X100 4'x3' print on my wall (taken at 1600 ISO too) and it's fine from the distance you need to stand to view it.

Unless you never go much above A4 or 10x8" then there is little need to worry about sharpness.

Bigger prints always need a small trade-off in sharpness - but then they are viewed at much greater distances: A3 is in the 'comfortably achievable' zone with sharp source image, appropriate interpolation and good printing equipment though!

MuMinded wrote:

Hi,

Dailypix
Contributing MemberPosts: 623
Like?
In reply to Photozopia, Jun 9, 2012

I agree. This is my exerience also.

Photozopia wrote:

Depends on use/viewing distance - I've got an X100 4'x3' print on my wall (taken at 1600 ISO too) and it's fine from the distance you need to stand to view it.

Unless you never go much above A4 or 10x8" then there is little need to worry about sharpness.

Bigger prints always need a small trade-off in sharpness - but then they are viewed at much greater distances: A3 is in the 'comfortably achievable' zone with sharp source image, appropriate interpolation and good printing equipment though!

MuMinded wrote:

Hi,

Mike Arledge
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dailypix, Jun 9, 2012

I have done 11X17 gallery ready prints with my X100 that are indistinguishable from the same series shot with my 5D mkii. It can handle some large sizes with a good understanding of sharpening and your output device.

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 70D +5 more
CriticalI
Senior MemberPosts: 1,777
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, Jun 9, 2012

Both 12MP. No difference. Just a sharp prime on the Fuji.

mr moonlight wrote:

The X100 sensor outperforms the D300. You will have no issues printing A3 despite the slightly lower resolution. 2MP is not really a noticeable difference.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Steve

CriticalI
Senior MemberPosts: 1,777
Like?
In reply to Mike Arledge, Jun 9, 2012

Yes, the way you process and sharpen the image makes a huge difference. Many don't know how to sharpen for prints (note it does not always look good on a screen when you do).

Mike Arledge wrote:

I have done 11X17 gallery ready prints with my X100 that are indistinguishable from the same series shot with my 5D mkii. It can handle some large sizes with a good understanding of sharpening and your output device.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads