SHOOT TO THRILL: MAC WEST NYC

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kevindar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,629Gear list
Like?
Re: My new baby and 5d3
In reply to William Prip, Jun 13, 2012
 kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +20 more
ktownbill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,939
Like?
Re: My new baby and 5d3
In reply to kevindar, Jun 13, 2012

Congratulations Kevin, both your new daughter and camera!

I think I'm going to get a 5dm3 instead of going on my next heli-ski vacation!! Works for me too!

Bill
--
img7d

dswcamera
Senior MemberPosts: 1,676Gear list
Like?
All are sweet images
In reply to kevindar, Jun 13, 2012

But the first one is may favorite.
A very precious moment
Thanks for posting

P.S Being a grandpa now & soon again, always pic opportunities!
--
'A bad idea in search of a good cause is..
just a bad idea' ... me

kevindar
Like?
Re: All are sweet images
In reply to dswcamera, Jun 14, 2012

thanks for the kind words
--
http://razzi.me/kevindar/photos

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +20 more
scsnospam
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to kevindar, Jun 15, 2012

What are you using for background? Is that some black cloth or are you shooting low key? I have a 3 month old too, and would like to take similiar pics. Can you describe the setup used?

Nice shots, and congrats on the new baby. Get some sleep

kevindar
Like?
In reply to scsnospam, Jun 15, 2012

its black flet I am using for background, which I bought from a fabric store really cheap. bought it 4 years ago. its not thick or heavy, and folds easily. downside is that its prone to getting dust on it. I am using a black blanket for under that baby, which I received as a gift.

scsnospam wrote:

What are you using for background? Is that some black cloth or are you shooting low key? I have a 3 month old too, and would like to take similiar pics. Can you describe the setup used?

Nice shots, and congrats on the new baby. Get some sleep

Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?
Re: DOF
In reply to kevindar, Jun 15, 2012

I think that the f/6.3 works there perfectly well. There are cases when f/1.8 may look better but I would use a larger aperture mostly when the subject is farther away.

I enjoyed your photos.

kevindar wrote:

funny you say that. on the baby pics. I posted on FM, and everyone said whay are you shooting at 6.3, should shoot at 1.8. I am thinking at this close focusing distsance on full frame, I would like to have the entire face in focus and a litte bit of hat, since I am controlling the background.

Press Correspondent wrote:

kevindar wrote:

Not a pro, and without a doubt far more gear than talent (yes, I am the cliche ameture gear head), but its great to be able to capture memories.

Those with more talent would use the 85 or 50 at f/1.2, because the definition of a good portrait here on DPR is one eye in focus surrounded by bokeh It takes courage to openly admit prioritizing the subject over bokeh.

Seriously, the DOF on the first shot is perfect. Both subjects are in focus and the definition of the background is just right to show them in a 3-dimensional setting. Blowing the background away completely with f/1.2 would make the image flat by taking the subjects out of the context of the background. It would also reduced the focused subject to one selected eye.

Techblast
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
Re: My new baby and 5d3 - You Can Be My Photog Any Day!
In reply to kevindar, Jun 17, 2012

You my friend have the touch. Great photos!

rondhamalam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,541
Like?
Great pictures

kevindar wrote:

4.5 years ago, when I had my first child, I upgraded to my first full frame, the original 5d. since then , I have had a 5d2, and just picked up a 5d3 upon its release. Nice to have good reliable off center aufocus, though I am finding sometimes, its just easier to focus and recompose.
4 shots
one with my 2 girls, 85, f 2.8, 1/160, iso 1000

Not a pro, and without a doubt far more gear than talent (yes, I am the cliche ameture gear head), but its great to be able to capture memories.

105mm on 24-105, 1/100, f 6.3, iso 2000, window light and reflector

1/160, f 2.8, iso 100, 28-70 2.8L

LMCasey
Regular MemberPosts: 494Gear list
Like?
Well done; very nice (nt)

no text

LMCasey's gear list:LMCasey's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 400D Nikon D800 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +15 more
kevindar
Like?
Re: Well done; very nice (nt)
In reply to LMCasey, Jun 20, 2012

Thank you. good subjects.

LMCasey wrote:

no text

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads