40D or T1i? Any users of both?

Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,600Gear list
Like?
40D or T1i? Any users of both?
Jun 8, 2012

Assuming we take the "live View" and video modes out of the picture, does the 40D have any advantages over the T1i? From a statistical standpoint, maybe. But how about from/by actual users of both? Right now, after a brief comparison, the T1i might edge out the 40D by it 5 more Mpxls, and 4X more resolute LCD quality.

I welcome, and need you comments on which camera would be the better one. Both camera have about the same amount of prior use. Thanks

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,319Gear list
Like?
Re: 40D or T1i? Any users of both?
In reply to BobT, Jun 8, 2012

I would lean towards the 40D it's a more durable camera, its shutter was designed for to last longer than the T1i's.

The extra megapixels do matter when cropping photos, but, only when you are talking prints larger than 8x10.

The biggest factor will be how they feel in your hand.

What lenses if any do they come with?

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,600Gear list
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, Jun 8, 2012

First, I would expect to crop, but with finished print no larger than 8X10 most of the time. But to the extent of cropping? I might try cropping 1/2 the original image to a full 8X10(making a more close-up nature image).

They are "body only". As to the lenses I have? Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 35 f2, and Canon 70-300 4/5.6 IS USM. But I do have hopes of acquiring a 70-200/4 IS USM "L" in the near future.

VisualNectarPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?

The grip on the T1 is small and if you have man hands it will wear you out when shooting with it. the x0D line caters to man hands (x00D users please dont take it personally they are great cameras with lots of bang for the buck but its true the grip is small).

If you can, I'd suggest going to a pawn shop or camera shop for that matter and test drive them (pick them up and hold them). It'd be my guess that you are going to like the pro features of the 40 over the t1i
--

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.

VisualNectarPhotography's gear list:VisualNectarPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,444
Like?

The Ti1 has a slight advantage at higher ISOs over the 40d. But not much. I put some 65k shots on my 40d before it got dropped. Replaced it with a 50d. As another post said. Try both. You'll like the 40d. I have done several 16-20 prints taken with the 6mp canon 300d. 10mp is plenty. Especially for 8x10 prints.

Andy
--

Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,380
Like?

With your assumptions, I would choose the 40D every time. It's a robust, highly-capable, fully-functional camera capable of either a hard day at work or a leisurely outing with the family. The T1i is strictly for fun. Great camera, but not a workhorse.

BobT wrote:

Assuming we take the "live View" and video modes out of the picture, does the 40D have any advantages over the T1i? From a statistical standpoint, maybe. But how about from/by actual users of both? Right now, after a brief comparison, the T1i might edge out the 40D by it 5 more Mpxls, and 4X more resolute LCD quality.

I welcome, and need you comments on which camera would be the better one. Both camera have about the same amount of prior use. Thanks

SteveAnderson
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?

When i dont have the 1200$ for a xxD, i try very hard to not handle one at all. They are just so nice to hold and use.

Its like 2 cars that have the same top speed but 1 is a Datsun and the other is a Lincoln.

On the flip side, a 40D on a stock strap will start to hurt your neck in half the time as a T1i. And with that L you are talking about, its going to hurt fast.

I am switching from 400D to 50D as we speak. Ive always wanted one and its 560$ now in my hands. But i know very well i wont be able to let it hang off my neck all day long like my 400D.

And for used, you need to test the focus on each. With your known good lenses.

Also for used, the 40D has a 100,000 shutter. The Rebels have no spec on shutter life. My 300D did blow a shutter(300D was known to do this though also.)
But in general, the 40D should last a lot longer.

Used is a crap shoot, look up sites that have a list of things to test. Focus(especially long distance), f22 at a blue sky or white wall for dust, flash works, viewfinder focus points match actual focus receptor, scratches on mirror, any glue or warped seals, etc etc.............

good luck

edit: BobT i remember your name from years ago here. ive been away and forgot my old name and pass. Anyways good luck.

007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,053Gear list
Like?
40d is a Flawless Gem in Still Photography, but lack "live mode" in LV

I had both for a brief period of time. 40d is the flawless gym in still photography. Advantage are (1) Big Penta- PRISM (2) Shorter Viewfinder Blackout (3) Faster FPS (4) Shorter Buffer-Under-run (5) Compact Flash (maximum PIO4 mode) that is way faster than lousy 10mbs SDHC memory.

My only complain are (1) 230K LCD is poor for judging color, saturation, or sharpness (2) no Compact Flash udma mode support (as in 7d/50d), (3) Limited Live View - only PDAF quick LV, no Live Mode LV, (5) 10mp is awfully inadequate when I shoot sport and need room to crop.

40d's PDAF QuickView is useless for me. The LCD black-out for a brief seconds to achieve focusing. This is vastly inferior to the more Naturally Feel CDAF Live Mode Live View, which the LCD never blacks out, the image slowly comes into focus.

In my product photography (much like macro) accurate manual focus is critical. Using Live View LV, I can finely tune my focusing slowly to achieve pin-sharp sharpness. I kept the T1i because it better suit my photography needs.

Flying Fish
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,580
Like?

I went through this 4 years ago and chose the 450D/XSi over the 40D. To me, the biggest advantage of the 40D over the XSi and the T1i is its better, faster, more-accurate AF. Smaller, but still noticeable advantages are the 1/8000 top shutter speed as opposed to 1/4000; the top LCD, the custom setting, and the 2 control wheels. I like live view; it works very well for landscapes, and I think that favors the T1i, I don't think the 40D had live view.

I have a bias against the T1i. I think the XSi hit a sweet spot for its time and I think the T2i/550D also hits a sweet spot for its time. I think the T2i is a much better camera than the T1i. But that's based on experience with the T2i and what I've read about the T1i.

FF

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads