Topaz PhotoFXLab

Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions
Mike Tussy
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?
Same here.
In reply to eagle_I, Jun 8, 2012

Yeah..it does not work well with online authentication from them. And I purchased it on good faith due to the excellent plug ins and support. It is currently a non working product on my machine and no way to easily get it off....It will take me take a lot of time erasing it from here since the Control Panel does not show the executable but only the purchased bundles and the Starlight Plug in that came with the FXlab install..wow..what a mess...

MikeT

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
peter_friend
Contributing MemberPosts: 821
Like?
Re: GOOD NEWS FROM TOPAZ LABS!!!
In reply to Mike Tussy, Jun 9, 2012

GOOD NEWS FROM TOPAZ LABS!!!

They work on a new version and new activation method.

Very happy.

http://www.topazlabs.com/blog/

Blueman.

Stephanie Griffin with Topaz Labs
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Re: Topaz PhotoFXLab
In reply to eagle_I, Jun 9, 2012

Hello,

I am truly sorry for any troubles you have had with the program so far.

I invite you to follow this link for an Official 'Letter to Our photoFXlab Users': http://www.topazlabs.com/blog/a-letter-to-our-photofxlab-users/

Please let me know if you have any questions. I will be more than happy to address them.

Like?
In reply to harrygilbert, Jun 9, 2012

Hello,

I invite you to follow this link for an Official 'Letter to Our photoFXlab Users': http://www.topazlabs.com/blog/a-letter-to-our-photofxlab-users/

Please let me know if you have any questions. I will be more than happy to address them.

Like?
In reply to eagle_I, Jun 9, 2012

Hello,

Like?
Re: Got back from a meeting and now FXlabs is broke again.

Hello,

harrygilbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,799Gear list
Like?
My thoughts on Topaz Labs and photoFXlab

Many applications and plug-ins from many vendors have had issues, some minor, and some serious. Many (most?) have dragged their heels in resolving the issues, and some have released fixes only in a new version requiring more payment.

Topaz has always stood behind their products, and have always had what I consider to be the best upgrade and fix release policies in the industry.

I salute the gracious and professional way Topaz Labs is handling the problems with this initial release of photoFXlab, and look forward to the new release. I am confident that they will address every issue, and that photoFXlab will turn out to be a great product.

Cannot understand why some people do not have even a modicum of patience. Topaz has an excellent record of fixing glitches AND ADDING NEW FEATURES; we have got along fine without this product in our past workflow, so the issues are not a show-stopper. I cannot help but compare to my experiences with another vendor of some process mapping software that released a version that crashed every time I did a discrete event simulation. At first, their support team denied the problem, then told me it would be fixed in the next release - in 6-8 months! This was a $2500 per copy application. For crying out loud, Topaz released this for $29.95. Give 'em a break!

harrygilbert's gear list:harrygilbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
GregoryA
Regular MemberPosts: 450
Like?
Re: My thoughts on Topaz Labs and photoFXlab
In reply to harrygilbert, Jun 9, 2012

harrygilbert wrote:

Many applications and plug-ins from many vendors have had issues, some minor, and some serious. Many (most?) have dragged their heels in resolving the issues, and some have released fixes only in a new version requiring more payment.

Topaz has always stood behind their products, and have always had what I consider to be the best upgrade and fix release policies in the industry.

I salute the gracious and professional way Topaz Labs is handling the problems with this initial release of photoFXlab, and look forward to the new release. I am confident that they will address every issue, and that photoFXlab will turn out to be a great product.

Cannot understand why some people do not have even a modicum of patience. Topaz has an excellent record of fixing glitches AND ADDING NEW FEATURES; we have got along fine without this product in our past workflow, so the issues are not a show-stopper. I cannot help but compare to my experiences with another vendor of some process mapping software that released a version that crashed every time I did a discrete event simulation. At first, their support team denied the problem, then told me it would be fixed in the next release - in 6-8 months! This was a $2500 per copy application. For crying out loud, Topaz released this for $29.95. Give 'em a break!

Thank you for some perspective. Topaz Support is great! I am looking forward to purchasing photoFXlab as soon as they give the green light again. Thank you for your speedy response Stephanie. I for one am a very happy and satisfied customer of yours.

Like?
In reply to Ronald A Yorko, Jun 9, 2012

Hello,

Best Wishes,
Stephanie

miatamich
Regular MemberPosts: 431
Like?
In reply to Doublehelix, Jun 9, 2012

I downloaded and installed the program without any problem. It does crash when trying to open an image. The error message suggested trying a smaller file or making sure the virtual memory was 4GB. Still crashes, so I think I'll pass. I have been very happy with Adjust and Simplify and to a certain extent, ReMask.

Silverfox63
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?
In reply to miatamich, Jun 9, 2012

Congratulations to Topaz for acting quickly to acknowledge the problems and stepping back to fix the situation. They have always been good to their customers with no charge for updates. Seems like a first class operation.

I look forward to their updated release date.

Regards, Tom B.

-- hide signature --

Older, but still learning!

sanmaj
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?
Way to go Topaz.......
In reply to miatamich, Jun 9, 2012

I too applaud Topaz's response to the problems with FXLabs. Much too often we have all seen companies with issues like this that you never hear from. In some cases even go so far as to ignore that they have an issue. Even Apple is notorious for not publicly recognizing they have a problem with a piece of software e.g. Aperture until months later when they come out with another version, like so many others. It's almost like these companies are afraid to talk to their customers. Obviously Topaz isn't afraid and you know what? I applaud them for their openness. Way to go Topaz!! Finally, a company that realizes that they are indeed dealing with reasonable adults.

fuego6
Senior MemberPosts: 1,674
Like?
Re: Way to go Topaz.......
In reply to sanmaj, Jun 9, 2012

Meh - that's why companies have this little thing called a "closed Beta" before hyping and then just releasing software... did no one other than the few company employees actually test this thing before release?

Nice that they pulled the plug and are working on a fix.. but .. really?

Doublehelix
Contributing MemberPosts: 699Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doublehelix, Jun 9, 2012

Everything works perfectly for me as another point of reference. The installation, verification, and operation. I have no problems whatsoever (other than getting some less than favorable results with Instagram).

I am happy with the way that Topaz is handling this, but as mentioned, seems like a pretty drastic step was needed, and one begins to question the pre-release testing.
--
James

Doublehelix's gear list:Doublehelix's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Richard Freeman
Contributing MemberPosts: 988
Like?
In reply to Doublehelix, Jun 10, 2012

Hi,
I purchased photoFXLab but cannot open the program.
IS it only me?

Every time I try and open it my internet icon lights up, does this program require the internet to run?

I have tried uninstalling it and even re downloading the program and restarting the computer but still no luck. The program is big, over 400mb so with all of this downloading trying to get it to work I have used all my allowance for the next 10 days which is a little inconvenience and I am now running on my back up dial up...ho hum.

All I get is an ‘Error Report’ message when I try and open it and there is no sign of it in photoshop, should it be on the filter tab like my other topaz plug ins?

Does it come with a key like all of my other Topaz plug ins?...I don’t appear to have got one.??
I have windows XP and CS3

Harrrr, I see I have a message from Topaz saying they have issues with it and are going to re hack it.
Thanks Topaz I look forward to getting the fix and hope it works for me.
Kind regards
Richard

Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,626Gear list
Like?
In reply to fuego6, Jun 10, 2012

The problems is that there are thousands of combinations of software and hardware, you cannot possibly test all configurations, so yes, some bugs might slip through.

In that case, it's nice the company recognizes the problem and try to fix it, instead of letting you pay to fix the problem, like some other companies do.

Openess to the customers is the ebst way, so they know what's going on and why some stuff doesn't work.

fuego6 wrote:

Meh - that's why companies have this little thing called a "closed Beta" before hyping and then just releasing software... did no one other than the few company employees actually test this thing before release?

Nice that they pulled the plug and are working on a fix.. but .. really?

Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,626Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doublehelix, Jun 10, 2012

Can someone tell me what the benefits are if you allready have photoshop, with layers and masks?!

fuego6
Senior MemberPosts: 1,674
Like?
In reply to Toermalijn, Jun 10, 2012

Toermalijn wrote:

The problems is that there are thousands of combinations of software and hardware, you cannot possibly test all configurations, so yes, some bugs might slip through.

In that case, it's nice the company recognizes the problem and try to fix it, instead of letting you pay to fix the problem, like some other companies do.

Openess to the customers is the ebst way, so they know what's going on and why some stuff doesn't work.

I agree 100%.. however, this is affecting about 90% of their users.. not an isolated combination.

RobertBarnett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,402Gear list
Like?
In reply to Toermalijn, Jun 16, 2012

The bulk of their problems seems to be with this now registration routine and not the actual plug-in. Frankly I don't care for this new setup on registering and hope that they decide to stick with what they had and what worked. Needing an internet connection to install is just the pits. Not everyone has this.

Robert
--

The hardest thing about Photography is choosing a camera! After that it is all fun!

RobertBarnett's gear list:RobertBarnett's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads