would you buy a 36mp iso 25 m43 camera?

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions
compositor20
Senior MemberPosts: 1,560
Like?
would you buy a 36mp iso 25 m43 camera?
Jun 7, 2012

Well since a 36mp camera would be used at f4 and there are many primes and a f2.8 zoom thatt are at its best at f4 (for diffraction f4 is the maximum you could go... if schneider anounces tilt shift lens it probably wont be faster than f3.5 at 12mm) the Nikon d800 wouldn´t have so much an advantage and m43 could be the lightweight landscape or outdoor portrait camera with good light... you would be at iso 100 f8 1/500 with Nikon d800 (sunny 16 rule) and iso 25 f4 1/500.

Would you buy such camera ? a camera like that would compete with FF for a while at low iso... even though it would be bad at high iso..

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
Re: would you buy a 36mp iso 25 m43 camera?
In reply to compositor20, Jun 8, 2012

compositor20 wrote:

Well since a 36mp camera would be used at f4 and there are many primes and a f2.8 zoom thatt are at its best at f4 (for diffraction f4 is the maximum you could go... if schneider anounces tilt shift lens it probably wont be faster than f3.5 at 12mm) the Nikon d800 wouldn´t have so much an advantage and m43 could be the lightweight landscape or outdoor portrait camera with good light... you would be at iso 100 f8 1/500 with Nikon d800 (sunny 16 rule) and iso 25 f4 1/500.

Would you buy such camera ? a camera like that would compete with FF for a while at low iso... even though it would be bad at high iso..

Sounds good. Maybe even without an AA-filter? Wouldn't worry too much about diffraction, a 36mp mFT camera would have considerably higher resolution than the E-M5, also if shooting at f/8, and no reason to believe that the high ISO performance would be bad.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Makinations
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,688Gear list
Like?
no,

really, no

Makinations's gear list:Makinations's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
cmpatti
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?

I think this is about 50% better resolution than the EM5. Are there any lenses that could take advantage of that?

Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 20,853
Like?
That's the camera Bob's been saying should be made.

compositor20 wrote:

Myself, I think the low ISO IQ is "good enough", and would prefer a base ISO of 100 if it resulted in "significantly" better performance at higher ISOs.

But, for a fact, 25 MP would be a good thing.

johnsong
Senior MemberPosts: 1,167
Like?
No,

compositor20 wrote:

In favor of higher noise NO

Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,190Gear list
Like?
Re: maybe(nt)
-- hide signature --
newsposter
Contributing MemberPosts: 700Gear list
Like?
Re: maybe(nt)
In reply to Lights, Jun 8, 2012

At this point, I'd be happy with better sensitivity and lower noise along with accurate color.

The mpix 'battles' should be over and overall image quality needs to be the focus.

Having said that, I test-shot a new Nikon D800 last week (about 600 images) and am in love with both that sensor as well as the Sony SLT-A77. Great boxes those but way too heavy for my liking.

newsposter's gear list:newsposter's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
Daz90
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?

yeah why not you can get a 40mp cellphone camera now

But really I would only want it if it could allow for increased dynamic range as well by using variable gain on alternate sensor columns. Also when the heck is BSI tech going to come for the larger sensors we need more light on the sensors.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,045Gear list
Like?
No, how about a 16-18mp that starts at ISO25?

What do I need 36mp for, when 16 suits me fine?

I really would like an ISO25 with improved DR, maxing out at, say, 1600 before noise killed it. How I miss the old Kodachrome 25...

TrapperJohn's gear list:TrapperJohn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
ChristianHass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,698Gear list
Like?
Re: No, how about a 16-18mp that starts at ISO25?
In reply to TrapperJohn, Jun 8, 2012

I'd trade better low ISO performance on "smaller than APS-C" sensors for worse high ISO performance in a heartbeat. For me the biggest issue keeping me using my APS-C size sensor cameras is the noise that shows up at base ISO on smaller sensors.
--
Shooting for fun and memories.

ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill
odl
odl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,684
Like?
I would buy this ISO 25 one [nt]
-- hide signature --

alatchinphotography.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For
knowledge is limited to all we now know and
understand, while imagination embraces the entire
world, and all there ever will be to know and
understand.” - Albert Einstein

GodSpeaks
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,760Gear list
Like?

compositor20 wrote:

No. You are going to hit diffraction limits around f4.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,046Gear list
Like?

36MP - No

25 ISO - YES!
But, I'd settle for noise-free 50 or 64.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 26,240
Like?

compositor20 wrote:

If coupled with some complementary lenses, small high resolution primes that peaked at f/2.8 to f/4, it would be an excellent backpack landscape camera, so good I would feel very tempted to buy one. The problem in the market place is that not enough people understand the relationship between camera and lens resolution, or between exposure, sensor area and image noise - so very few would understand the potential such a camera would have. In short, with the right lenses, it would give D800 quality images in a much more compact form - but people do not understand that.
--
Bob

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 26,240
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, Jun 8, 2012

GodSpeaks wrote:

compositor20 wrote:

No. You are going to hit diffraction limits around f4.

You mean you will be freed of sensor resolution limits below f/4.
--
Bob

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: No (nt)
-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
In reply to bobn2, Jun 8, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

compositor20 wrote:

If coupled with some complementary lenses, small high resolution primes that peaked at f/2.8 to f/4, it would be an excellent backpack landscape camera, so good I would feel very tempted to buy one. The problem in the market place is that not enough people understand the relationship between camera and lens resolution, or between exposure, sensor area and image noise - so very few would understand the potential such a camera would have. In short, with the right lenses, it would give D800 quality images in a much more compact form - but people do not understand that.

Wondering, would it be possible to make a 36mp mFT sensor where the pixels had the same base ISO read noise and saturation capacity as the D800 pixels, which would give us a 2 stops lower base ISO on the mFT camera, and therefore the same base ISO performance as the D800?

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: No, how about a 16-18mp that starts at ISO25?

What on Earth would you do with more DR than an OM-D.

TrapperJohn wrote:

What do I need 36mp for, when 16 suits me fine?

I really would like an ISO25 with improved DR, maxing out at, say, 1600 before noise killed it. How I miss the old Kodachrome 25...

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
I'd buy it like a shot.

36MP, 25 ISO, perfect for me.

I suspect some people don't understand this, but you can trade the ISO for noise, so it would be fine at high ISO if you accepted an effective 12MP.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads