Considering Buying an NEX-7: Questions

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions
Tetchist
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Considering Buying an NEX-7: Questions
Jun 7, 2012

Well, now that the 7's have been out in the wild for a bit, I'm considering actually getting one as an upgrade to the NEX-3 I'm currently in possession of. A few questions/concerns, though:

1) What's the story on the EVF? Is it worth the cost of admission? Anything I should be aware of? I'm specifically looking for any shortcomings or problems I need to be aware of.

2) Speaking of the EVF - and this is a big question I have - I've read that the proximity sensor will keep it turned on and draining battery when the camera is hanging by your side and whatnot. Is there a solution to that? Because that sounds really...aggravating.

3) What's the deal with the movie button? Apparently it ticks a lot of people off because it's quite easy to hit accidentally - what's the story there? Any workarounds, etc?

4) How fast does the 7 turn on and off, and how fast does it 'wake up'? The NEX-3, which I am using now, is quite slow to turn on and wake up. Some of the DSLR's I've used in the past were ready to go almost instantaneously after hitting the on switch, and would 'wake up' from their sleep mode just as fast. Is the 7 there in terms of speed?

5) Is there anything - and I mean anything - else that I should be aware of with the 7 in comparison to both the 3 and a standard DSLR? Something that I may have overlooked or not considered?

Thanks in advance!

Tetchist's gear list:Tetchist's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,482Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering Buying an NEX-7: Questions
In reply to Tetchist, Jun 7, 2012

Tetchist wrote:

Well, now that the 7's have been out in the wild for a bit, I'm considering actually getting one as an upgrade to the NEX-3 I'm currently in possession of. A few questions/concerns, though:

1) What's the story on the EVF? Is it worth the cost of admission? Anything I should be aware of? I'm specifically looking for any shortcomings or problems I need to be aware of.

The EVF in my opinion, is the best feature of the NEX-7. It is truly amazing. Crystal clear, amazing quality and you can see how your picture will come out before you take it. (if it's under/over exposed, what's in focus, etc)....without having to look at the back LCD screen and having to cover it because of glares from the sun. The EVF is by far a spectacular feature you gotta have.

2) Speaking of the EVF - and this is a big question I have - I've read that the proximity sensor will keep it turned on and draining battery when the camera is hanging by your side and whatnot. Is there a solution to that? Because that sounds really...aggravating.

Yes, simple. Turn the camera off when you are not using it. I always did that with my DSLR's anyways. The start up time is extremely fast when turned on. Take your pictures, turn it off. Then turn it back on when needed.

3) What's the deal with the movie button? Apparently it ticks a lot of people off because it's quite easy to hit accidentally - what's the story there? Any workarounds, etc?

The movie button wasn't placed in the most convenient of places, but it is NOT terrible. Have I accidentally pressed it? Yes.

I did a few times at first, but now that I know my way around the NEX-7, I know how to properly grip it when I'm using it and I never press the movie button now.

4) How fast does the 7 turn on and off, and how fast does it 'wake up'? The NEX-3, which I am using now, is quite slow to turn on and wake up. Some of the DSLR's I've used in the past were ready to go almost instantaneously after hitting the on switch, and would 'wake up' from their sleep mode just as fast. Is the 7 there in terms of speed?

It turns off extremely fast and it's just as fast when you turn it on.

5) Is there anything - and I mean anything - else that I should be aware of with the 7 in comparison to both the 3 and a standard DSLR? Something that I may have overlooked or not considered?

I don't really understand your question, but the NEX-7 is the most advanced mirrorless digital camera in my opinion. It gives you as good, if not better, image quality than any other APS-C sensor DSLR in the market, at a smaller size, and it has all the same shooting functions plus other extras. It is by far the best camera I have ever used....and I've owned several Nikon and Canon DSLR's over the years.

As far as the video, it is the BEST video quality I've ever seen in ANY digital camera.

My co-worker has a 5D Mark II and he's jealous of the video the NEX-7 takes. The quality is truly superb.

You will NOT be disappointed. If you want a camera that's relatively small, weighs very little and gives you both incredible image quality photos and video....it's a MUST buy.

Thanks in advance!

kcamacho11's gear list:kcamacho11's gear list
RX100 III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
iJer
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?

I have had my NEX 7 for 3 months now and I sold a Nikon D700 to get it.

I find the EFV the best there is out there now but if you wear glasses you might want to try one out first as the rubber surround for the the EFV is overly stiff and doesn't conform to my glasses.Yes the proximity sensor will trigger the EFV if the camera is worn with the neck strap but I use a wrist strap and no problem. The camera does start up incredibly quickly so turning it off while walking around is not a problem. The movie button is not so much a problem when shooting but it activates easily when handling

the camera. Coming from a DSLR I wish you could set a minimum shutter speed and for better low light focusing.The IQ of the camera is amazing and due to it's size I find I take it with me far more than I did my D700.

I don't think there is a perfect camera but this one is headed in the right direction provided SONY doesn't dumb down the next version.

kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,482Gear list
Like?
In reply to iJer, Jun 7, 2012

iJer wrote:

I find the EFV the best there is out there now but if you wear glasses you might want to try one out first as the rubber surround for the the EFV is overly stiff and doesn't conform to my glasses.Yes the proximity sensor will trigger the EFV if the camera is worn with the neck strap but I use a wrist strap and no problem. The camera does start up incredibly quickly so turning it off while walking around is not a problem. The movie button is not so much a problem when shooting but it activates easily when handling

the camera. Coming from a DSLR I wish you could set a minimum shutter speed and for better low light focusing.The IQ of the camera is amazing and due to it's size I find I take it with me far more than I did my D700.

I don't think there is a perfect camera but this one is headed in the right direction provided SONY doesn't dumb down the next version.

I found it interesting you mentioned you had a D700. I had it as well. I had a D700 and my wife had a D7000. We both sold our cameras and just got one NEX-7. I take more pictures than her on our trips anyways, so one is good enough.

The D700 is a real good camera, and the D7000 as well....frankly, I just got tired of carrying them around my neck along with the other lens we had. At first it's fine, but when you spend about 2-3 hours walking around, I couldn't take it anymore.

The NEX-7 is not a perfect camera as you mentioned, but it is the perfect camera for ME. The ONLY complain I have about it is its battery life. Coming from DSLR's, going from 1000 shots to 400 shots is a big difference, but I just bought a spare one which I keep charged all the time and I am good to go.

kcamacho11's gear list:kcamacho11's gear list
RX100 III
DuncanDovovan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277
Like?

Tetchist wrote:

I think it is OK. One disadvantage is the fact that I use my left eye, so I get a greasy imprint from my nose on the LCD. Another disadvantage is the fact that I am highly sensitive to flickering. I see 60Hz CRT screens flicker. Or LED backlights from cars. And I also see flickering in the EVF of the Sony NEX-7 - especially in bright areas.

But all in all I still think it is OK.

Not an issue. I always turn the camera off after shooting. In the first minutes it turns on faster than from a longer period of being off.

Yes you will hit it without wanting it. It is in a problematic spot. Especially if you have a have lens attached or a flash.

But so what? You normally see it immediately and switch it off. Every now and then I delete the video sequences of a couple of seconds.

It is annoying, but not a disaster.

It is definitely not instantly. About 3 seconds from cold start. It switches off within a minute. A warm start (switching on after recently switching off) takes about a second.

I don't know the 3. But I really really like the NEX-7.

If you are an elder person the NEX-7 can be very confusing as it does not feature presets. The camera menu is a jungle.

But if you shoot a lot in scene modes or full auto, that should not be an issue.

William R Wood
Regular MemberPosts: 402
Like?

Tetchist wrote:

EVF is great, definitely worth cost. No shortcomings or problems.

Not an issue for me since I use a wrist strap but not an issue anyway, just turn cam off if necessary.

Movie button not an issue, I have never pushed the button by mistake. Cannot understand the people who complain.

Cam turns off and on very fast, almost instantaneously.

No, N7 is a great cam. I have a big DSLR - Canon 1DMkII, works great but it is too big to carry around, I hate it but I love the N7. N7 menus suck but once you get it setup to your liking all is well.

My only gripe is lack of more high quality native E-mount lenses and a standard hot shoe. Don't want adapters.

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ

Old Pirate
Senior MemberPosts: 1,367Gear list
Like?
In reply to William R Wood, Jun 7, 2012

It's different, but I'll probably never be satisfied again with an OVF after the EVF on the 7.

What you see is just about what you get.....everytime!

Old Pirate's gear list:Old Pirate's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7R
Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,987
Like?

EVF and high pixel count are definitely worth it, particularly with the Sigma 30. Haven't hit anything by accident and I'm 86, so you should be OK, unless, of course, you're a real clutz!

seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,648Gear list
Like?

Tetchist wrote:

IMO, yes. The EVF is amazing. Some say it doesn't accurately reflect what will be recorded in the image. I shoot RAW so this isn't an issue. The EVF is capable of letting me judge the exposure accurately enough.

If you manually focus lenses, I'd say it's a must have.

Yes it will drain the battery, and the solution is to turn the camera off when you're not using it.

I'm in the set of people that's ticked off by it. There are some kludges to workaround this, but I'm hoping Sony is aware of the problem and will offer a firmware option to fix it.

4) How fast does the 7 turn on and off, and how fast does it 'wake up'?

Mines, pretty fast. It's slow with the Sigma lenses apparently.

I upgraded from a NEX-5 and I can't think of anything that's worse.

Compared to a standard DSLR it's going depend which one. The major difference is the absence of a PDAF system in the NEX, but this can be rectified by adding the LA-EA2 if you need it. There's also the UI, but I find the tri-navi preferable to the DSLRs interfaces I've used, others don't.

There's no option to tether the NEX to a computer, and the Canon/Nikon systems are more comprehensive that the Sony/Minolta system (but this depends on what you do), and of course if you stick to only native lenses the selection is pretty limited. People also say that with big lenses a DSLR body is better balanced. I have lenses up to 550g, and I have no issues holding the camera with them; the NEX-7 grip works well for me. Perhaps bigger lenses are an issue.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Binone
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tetchist, Jun 8, 2012

I just spent 3 weeks traveling with a NEX-7 and can offer some insight into your questions and concerns. For a bit of background, I shoot professionally and have been using Canon dSLRs (5D2 & 40Ds).

1. Re. the EVF. I was worried about this since my 5D2's view finder is so good. However, the EVF in the 7 is nothing short of fantastic. Yes, there are some issues, but the ability to see all of your shooting information and a live-view histogram before you trigger the shutter, is simply magic.

2. Re the proximity sensor. This is a big problem and Sony needs to fix it. As you're walking around, the camera will sense your body and keep switching between the EVF and the LCD. This prevents the camera from entering "sleep" mode and will, in short time, kill the battery. You've got to turn off the camera after you've shot a scene, and turn it back on for the next scene. The first part that's going to wear out on a NEX-7 is going to be the on/off switch. Also, carry a spare battery. Fortunately, the time it takes the camera to be ready to shoot after you turn it on is very short.

3. The movie button was initially a royal pain. The first few times I used the camera I ended up with movies of my feet. However, I got used to it and during the 3 week trip, and about 2,000 frames shot, I never shot a movie. Yes, they need a solution, but this isn't a deal breaker.

4. Speed turning on. Fast. See 2, above.

5. Comparing the NEX-7 to a dSLR, the biggest positive is how small and light it is. It was an absolute pleasure to carry. I carried 2 Nex cameras and a couple of lenses all day, every day, and never noticed the weight. Now, the big negative vs a dSLR: Focusing. Compared to the focusing speed and accuracy of a dSLR, the Nex is very poor. Stationary objects are usually no problem in good light, but moving subjects are a big problem. I suggest that you set it to use only the center spot to focus, then focus and recompose.

The bottom line, IMHO, is that the NEX-7 is a winner despite the few negatives. If I had made the 3 week trip with the Canon 5D2, and the "L" glass, after the first couple of days it would have ended up in the hotel safe and I would have walked around with my Canon S100. So, for a travel camera, at this point in time, I don't think that it can be beat.

This doesn't let Sony off the hook, however. The firmware is still quite limiting and things like auto-bracketing are almost useless because of the firmware limitations. Sony has to listen to all the complaints and do something about those limitations, which have been well documented. Instead of spending their engineering resources on new camera bodies, IMHO, the investment would be better spent on getting the firmware right for the bodies they already have.

Binone's gear list:Binone's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1
Travellling Fool
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to Binone, Jun 8, 2012

I'll only hit a couple of things that I don't see addressed in the other responses you got.

3) Movie button - I don't hit it while taking pictures, I've only hit it when I'm moving around and holding the camera somewhere other than to my eye, particularly if I'm holding it one handed and my thumb scrapes along the record button. Such as going form standing to laying down to get a bug's eye view, as one example.

5) As far as "other" points, here's what I've learned about my NEX7.

a) It may be the most fun camera I've owned first and foremost. I can't explain exactly why, it just is.

b) if you have any legacy MF lenses focus peaking is brilliant. It's really rekindled my enjoyment of shooting manual focus. And finally, and possibly most importantly

c) spending a bit of times to take advantage of the customization of the dials and buttons went a LONG way toward enjoyment for me. The out of the box arrangement didn't feel right but once I changed what functions were on what dial/button etc it became second nature to use them and that's when (a) above really kicked in.

Bill McClung
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,364
Like?

Agree totally with all the previous good comments/observations. I sold my Nikon D300 and a stable of lenses, back in January, to buy my NEX-7, lenses and accessories.

I've been taking photos for almost 60 years, ran a part-time wedding business for 24 years and have used a good many 35mm SLRs, DSLRs and medium format cameras. I can honestly say I'm having more fun with the NEX-7 than any other camera I've ever owned or used. Being able to use many of my old "legacy" lenses that I thought would never see use again, is an absolute delight. And, the results are fantastic!

I've given my NEX-7 a pretty fair workout, over the past 3+ months, and have created a pbase photo gallery for showing some of the results. If you are interested, you may visit the gallery at:

http://www.pbase.com/nc_bill/sony_nex7_images

-- hide signature --

Bill McClung (a.k.a. 'NC BILL')
Image galleries at http://www.pbase.com/nc_bill

NEVER BE AFRAID TO TRY SOMETHING NEW.
REMEMBER, AMATEURS BUILT THE ARK.
PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC!

tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?

Tetchist wrote:

1. Do you wear glasses? Do you do a lot of stealthy shooting? If the answer is yes to either of these, the NEX-7 EVF might not get as much use as you think it will.

2. You can set the display to EVF only or LCD only, and the proximity sensor will be off, but you might prefer the flexibility. Just turn off the camera when not in use. Powerup speed is pretty good, and bring an extra battery.

3. If you develop a habit with the grip, you won't trigger movies too often. It is more of a problem, IMO, with the NEX-5N. The rubberized grip on the back actually leads your thumb away from the button.

4. It isn't the speed demon my Nikon is (in terms of on/off), but I don't think you'll miss many shots. Don't obsess about the battery drain potential and leave it on. I use a wrist strap, so I don't have a problem draining the battery, unless it is forgetting to turn it off when stowing it in the bag. But the speed of the NEX-7 shooting is incredible (apart from focusing/focus tracking). With some lenses like the CZ 24, the focus speed is very good for its class.

5. If operational speed is your thing, and you want mirrorless, OM-D is not to be ignored. That system rocks, and seems to hit all the right buttons. But if you want APS-C, legacy lenses that are only 1.5x instead of 2x, and don't demand extensive selection of native lenses, you will love the NEX-7.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
penndragonn2001
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
In reply to iJer, Jun 8, 2012

iJer wrote:

I also sold my Nikon D700 to get my new NEX 7, plus bought the LA 2 adapter with a few Sony and Minolta lenses. I couldn't be happier!! Tried FF but realized I really didn't need it nor the ooooh so expensive lenses to take advantage of FF. Loving this camera more and more every day!. Initially I thought I had made a huge mistake, boy am I glad I took the plunge!! This camera surprises me more and more every time I used it... Simply WOW!!!!

penndragonn2001's gear list:penndragonn2001's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony Alpha NEX-7
Binone
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?
In reply to Travellling Fool, Jun 8, 2012

I agree with most of your points. Especially the importance of customizing the camera to your personal liking. As a starting point, I used the suggestions made in the Luminous-Landscape review, and found them to be perfect for my use while traveling. The camera was very enjoyable to use.

While previously never a fan of auto-ISO, I found myself using it most of the time because the algorithm favors low ISO and only raises it when the shutter speed becomes too low. That meant one less thing to adjust.

I'm less happy than you are with the focus peaking function. I tried it with a telephoto lens and found that the peaking outline came on before the subject was in perfect focus, and stayed on after going through the optimum focus point. In other words, the tolerance around the optimum focus point was too great. By highly magnifying the image on the LCD, I was able to make the subject considerably sharper than if I just stopped adjusting the focus ring as soon as the peaking outline came on. I was doing this at night, and autofocus was useless, so I had to use manual.

Another thing that surprised me, especially coming from using dSLRs, was how comfortable the camera is to use. Although it's small, and my hands are large, it felt very comfortable. Frankly, although some have complained about the unusual configuration with the lens and viewfinder on the left side of the camera, for me that made it much more comfortable to use. I suppose that I wouldn't feel the same if I had to use my left eye to see the viewfinder.

Binone's gear list:Binone's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1
JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?

Tetchist wrote:

Thanks in advance!

(1) The EVF is alone is worth the extra cost. When I was on vacation in San Diago last spring, I couldn't see through the LCD screen on a bright beach when I had the NEX-5. And I had to use my glasses. With the EVF and it's diapter adjustment, I can see everything and don't need glasses, and I can see everything, which wasn't the case with the NEX-5 without the EVF.

(2) I always turn off my camera when not in use so this has never been a problem with the EVF.

(3) Movie button is a problem. Always turn off camera when not using it or you could take movies of what goes on inside your camera bag, and it might even take movies of you going 'pee-pee' inside the toilet. It's no problem when I take photos in the horizontal position, but when I switch to vertical position, I can accidently hit the movie button sometimes. I got around this by using 3/4" circular felt pads used to put on bottems of display objects to protect furnature tops. They have a self adhesive side so you can stick them on the camera, -after puching a 1/4" hole in the center for the movie button. Worked great on my trip to Grand Canyon.
(4) Probably as slow as the NEX-5 and NEX-3.

(5) If you liked the NEX-3, you'll probably love the NEX-7. Just consider the NEX-7 as the NEX-3's grown-up brother. Anyway, that's the way I think of it when I had my NEX-5. If I hated the NEX-5, I certainly would not have traded it off for the NEX-7.

Tetchist
Like?
More Questions
In reply to Tetchist, Jun 9, 2012

Okay, so, here's a couple more I have:

1) I can't seem to find a consensus on the start-up time in this thread. Some say it's slow, other say it's fast. What's going on here?

2) Is there anything else that's actually wrong with the camera?

61_Vintage
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Re: More Questions

Seriously - just go and buy it. There's a lot to love about it!

acipriano
Regular MemberPosts: 431
Like?

I have had my NEX-7 for a total of five days now. So far so good.
I come from Canon 5DMkII, which I still have and intend to continue to use.
I have no problem with the EVF.

Accidentally hitting the video button has never happen to me, I do have smaller hands.
Bracketing shots is not as versatile as what I was use to.

Not having the ability to use a cable release is odd for me. I bought a Sony wireless shutter release. But I have yet to figure out how to shoot a burst of bracketed shots or using the onboard HDR with the wireless shutter release.
I don't shoot video, so that feature is a none issue.
It is really small compared to my DSLR.
The menu is different from Canon. But I am managing it pretty well.

Deleting a video and then not seeing the previous stills right a way really threw me when it happen. Even though I previoiusly about this problem, I found it disconcerting.

-- hide signature --

Tetchist
Like?
In reply to 61_Vintage, Jun 12, 2012

61_Vintage wrote:

Seriously - just go and buy it. There's a lot to love about it!

This kind of answer doesn't do anything for me. I want answers to my questions, not hollow endorsements.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads