I need help with Elinchrom big octa and Profoto D1 500

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions
fidelfs1
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
I need help with Elinchrom big octa and Profoto D1 500
Jun 7, 2012

Hi,

I just tested my new big octa last night. I order also the adapter for Profoto and went to shoot.

I notice that there is a dark spot in the center, the D1 is casting a shadow and making 1 stop differnce (lower) than any other place.

I can work the difference moving the model, but I have never seen a video or something like that.

Am I doing something wrong? Is because the Profoto D1 are larger that Elinchrom heads and then casting more shadows? Is there a fix?

I went to the website Elinchrom and they suggest to contact the local US dealers, I emailed Elinchrom US.

Have you guys experienced something like this?

fidelfs1's gear list:fidelfs1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Nikon D1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,308
Like?
Re: I need help with Elinchrom big octa and Profoto D1 500
In reply to fidelfs1, Jun 8, 2012

Make sure you remove the built in reflector from the Elinchrom to Profoto adaptor. If that isn’t sufficient, then also remove the frosted glass plate from the D1 head and use a glass dome.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Like?
Should look like this...
In reply to fidelfs1, Jun 8, 2012

It should look like this after removing the reflector

There are three very small Phillips head screws. Just remove the small ring reflector, you don’t need it, the D1s have there own built in reflectors. The screws and washers are small, be careful not to lose them; screw them back in after you take the reflector off.

Once you have removed the reflector, you can then slide the adaptor so that the frosted glass plate is flush with Elinchrom softbox. Removing the reflector will also allow you to use a glass dome, if you have one.

Brian A

fidelfs1
Like?
Re: Should look like this...
In reply to Hugowolf, Jun 8, 2012

Thanks,

I just had time to remove the reflector from the speedring adapter this morning. I will try tonight when I get back from work.

I will keep posting. I hope this thread helps later somebody else.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
fidelfs1
Like?
In reply to fidelfs1, Jun 11, 2012

I tested the big octa and the adapter without the reflector.

It always show a dark spot, but only if you are looking for it. If you don't know, you won't see it.

I meter the spot and it is only 2/10 stop darker in a small dark center than before.

I would say this fixed my problem.

Thanks, so much. I have 2 pictures that I placed in my Model Mayhem, one is the avatar and the next one is the same lady with a glass of wine. Amazing light.
My MM is 2621695. Check it out.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to fidelfs1, Jun 11, 2012

I am glad it worked out. I’m sure 0.2 stops will not be measurable from even a foot away.

I don’t know what to do with the ring reflector, perhaps you should keep it in case you ever try to sell the adaptor.

Brian A.

seres
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Jun 11, 2012

Hugowolf... I had the same problem, and now it's fixed. Thanks for your clear instructions!

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to seres, Jun 12, 2012

seres wrote:

... I had the same problem, and now it's fixed. Thanks for your clear instructions!

You are most welcome.

Two fixes from one post and none of the usual DPR contention, totally amazing.

Brian A

andrewbdub
Regular MemberPosts: 451
Like?
In reply to fidelfs1, Jun 12, 2012

What's your Model Mayhem name? I couldn't work out how to search just by number....
--
andrew
http://www.andrewbottphoto.com

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to andrewbdub, Jun 12, 2012

andrewbdub wrote:

What's your Model Mayhem name? I couldn't work out how to search just by number....

Just type the number into the search by number box (MM#) at the top right.

Brian A

fidelfs1
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Jun 12, 2012

modelmayhem.com/thaddeus-p

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Hugowolf
Like?
Corrected instructions
In reply to fidelfs1, Jun 14, 2012

If anyone has been following this thread, my instructions were based on something done a while back and weren’t quite correct. There are no Phillips head screws and washers, there are Phillips head bolts and hex nuts. Corrected instructions follow in case anyone searches for the topic at a later date:

To get the Elinchrom to Profoto adaptor to work fully with Profoto D1 monolights, you need to remove the reflector from the adaptor. The Elinchrom ring reflector isn’t needed with D1s, which have their own built in reflector, and it prevents mounting a diffusion dome and severely restricts modifier zooming.

You need to remove this:

There are three 2-3 cm long fine threaded Phillips head bolts with small hexagonal nuts. Remove the bolts with a small Phillips head screwdriver, being careful leave the nuts in place.

You can see the edge of one of the nuts in the center of the following image:

Once you remove the reflector, screw the bolts back into their holes, being careful to engage the nuts. (A small flat head screwdriver is useful here to keep the nuts in place – a very small open ended wrench would be better, but isn’t essential.)

It should look like the image below when finished:

Brian A

Bakzeil
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Corrected instructions
In reply to Hugowolf, Dec 14, 2012

a very simple solution to use your profoto-heads with a Elinchrom EL Octa 190cm ...

just bye a profoto softbox ring at Calumet (for 20 dollar),

unscrew the top ring of the Octa, slide the soft box ring in the opening and screw the both back on to the Octa / Umbrella.

PLLOVE
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: Corrected instructions
In reply to Bakzeil, May 3, 2013

Bakzeil wrote:

a very simple solution to use your profoto-heads with a Elinchrom EL Octa 190cm ...

just bye a profoto softbox ring at Calumet (for 20 dollar),

unscrew the top ring of the Octa, slide the soft box ring in the opening and screw the both back on to the Octa / Umbrella.

thank you!!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads