Yosemite with a 7D?

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions
cambomj
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
Re: Yosemite with a 7D?
In reply to cambomj, Jun 17, 2012

Thanks all for your comments and inspiring photos - getting very excited now!!

I've been in touch with LensProToGo and they have cheerfully advised me that they can accommodate o/s visitors. Wow, what a service and I wish we had one here!

At this stage, fo Yosemite, I'm probably going to rent a 10-22mm. Might also look at the 24mm 1.4 for a bit of fun with the Milky Way and I have a bit of lens-lust for that one anyway for low light candids :). They also do tripods so it will save me from lugging mine over there.

I've revisited the 20-35mm but it just does not offer me much - it overlaps my 24-105 too much and it only has an advantage in the in the 20-24mm range which really is insignificant. It was good on full-frame and when I had the 28-135 as it had a purpose but now, it is just taking up room in the bag.

I appreciate everyone's input and for taking the time to respond. Now, I'll go practice...

Cheers,

cambomj's gear list:cambomj's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066
Like?
In reply to cambomj, Jun 18, 2012

You should definitely consider renting a 17 or 24 TSE II.

The tilt is a huge plus for bringing foreground elements into sharp focus and if you shoot 3 frames (left shift, centered, and right shift) you can create a seamless stitch very wide pano...

Also, the optical quality of these two lenses is very hard to beat!

Mike

Sorry if someone else covered this... i didn't read all of the responses.

tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,152
Like?

When I went to Yosemite my walk around lens was the Tamron 18-270VC lens for my 60D. I also brought a Canon 10-22 for wider shots. I hardly used the Canon 10-22 because distant objects were too miniturized and couldn't really see details and the distortion was very pronounced. For wider shots I do panoramas instead and stitch them afterwards. November weather can change dramatically and they do close the upper elevation roadways because of snow. I would recommend reading the up to date weather conditions at http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm before heading out there.

Tage Bjorklund
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?
In reply to Flying Fish, Jun 18, 2012

You probably have received all the advice you need regarding choice of lens. I used to drive to Yosemite a lot as I live only four hours away. If my old Pbase account is still accessable you can check out http://www.pbase.com/poppy

There are some pictures also from the October-December time period. Wheather will be a concern, if there is a chance of snow you need snow chains or a 4WD, usually both as you may be required to carry chains in the car even if you have good tires and 4WD. I hope you are lucky and will get snow because the landscape becomes really beautiful with snow on the trees.
Tage

foggy
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?

If you have not been to this part of California before it's rough country so be prepared traction devices etc. It's far different than the more civilized parts of the state. My visits have been mostly in the spring and the spring runoff through the falls was spectacular..! One just is not prepared for how grand they are. I live 10 miles from Multnomah falls in Oregon and I have to say that experience has been diminished. In November I don't think you will see much flow from the falls at that time of year so some of your UWA opportunities will not show depending on the year.

As far as the time you have I would concentrate on the park loop and accessible viewpoints of the main park. This gives you time to figure best light or take advantage of opportunities that present themselves in that general area. Yosemite is such a big meal it takes most years to see a good share of it. You don’t want to rush here and there and when you get home feel the work you brought home could have been better Go for quality not quantity.
Enjoy your visit

Foggy

gdjoslin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,040
Like?
In reply to foggy, Jun 18, 2012

Yosemite Falls is already as dry as I have ever seen it for June...... I first when to Yosemite in !960 so that is a lot of Junes.
http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/webcams/yosemite-falls
--
Gary

cambomj
Like?
In reply to Mike Scott, Jun 19, 2012

Oh..a Tilt Shift is a terrific idea! It might really stretch me though..

Might look into that one, cheers..

Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +5 more
cambomj
Like?
In reply to foggy, Jun 19, 2012

You don’t want to rush here and there and when you get home feel the work you brought home could have been better Go for quality not quantity

I always feel the work I bring home could have been better good advice, I'm hoping that the rush that is Disneyland will subside through a nice relaxing week in the wilderness.. In time for Universal Studios at the end!!

cambomj
Like?
In reply to Tage Bjorklund, Jun 19, 2012

I'm hoping for snow. Great pics and thanks for sharing!

tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,152
Like?
In reply to cambomj, Jun 20, 2012

Yosemite is a long drive from the L.A. area so I advise starting early because you don't want to be stuck in traffic. Half Dome at sunset is very dramatic with it's golden reflection from the sun. I recommend going to Glacier Point the see the grandeur of Yosemite from above.

KENTGA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,374Gear list
Like?
I just got back from Yosemite and......
In reply to cambomj, Jun 20, 2012

I started in Lake Tahoe and then went down to the Eastern side of Yosemite and then into the Yosemite Valley. (The valley has the best places to shoot and it's relatively compact.) You can assume that 98% of my photos were landscapes--- either somewhat close but mostly the subject was at a distance. All were made with a 7D. Quite a few of the shots were exposure bracketed, but I don't think that will make any real difference. My primarily lenses were 10-22, 17-55 and 70-200 and some with 100-400 and some with Tamron 18-270. The 17-55 is my goto lens. Using a free program named exposure Plot, here's the results:

10- 16mm- 94 shots
17- 23mm- 702 shots
24- 105mm- 608 shots
105mm + - 57 shots

I broke this down so you can see how effective your 24-105 would be. The majority of the 17-23 shots were at 17mm because the 17-55 was wide open.

As gdan mentioned, Tioga road (Hwy 120) and Glacier Point Rd may well be closed, but the main shots from Glacier Point Rd that I got were of Vernal and Nevada Falls. The falls in the Valley will more than likely be dry or a trickle unless there is rain before you get there. I was in the Valley a few years ago in early November and the only fall with water was Bridalveil and there wasn't much.

My finding was that:

1. In June, if the subject is at a distance and there is not sun on the subject, the result is a "hazy" looking subject, so be aware of that.

2. I wouldn't bother taking a lens longer than 200mm because of the haze and if you see any wildlife, it will probably be deer and not very far from you.

3. I'd strongly suggest getting the Canon 10-22mm lens--- not only for the trip, but for other occasions.

I'd suggest buying a book by Lewis Kemper called "Photographing Yosemite". He is a well-known US photographer and his book has many photos and he tells you where to go and when for the best shots.

Have fun.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
gdjoslin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,040
Like?
Re: I just got back from Yosemite and......
In reply to KENTGA, Jun 21, 2012

I had the pleasure of attending a Canon in the Park class a few years ago. It was lead by Lewis Kemper. Amazing guy.

I wish Canon sill did the Canon in the Park thing. It was a great chance to learn and try out gear.

-- hide signature --

Gary

troutbum96013
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
In reply to cambomj, Jun 21, 2012

Here are some suggestions that will not include camera gear. Here it is: get in physical shape. Some of your best photo opportunities will be when you can hike out of the valley floor. Here are my suggestions for great photo shoots in the order of difficulty, with the easiest first.

1. Vernal Fall--and continuing on the loop around to Nevada Fall if you can handle it and have time.

About 1 hour to Vernal and another two hours if you do the loop. Spectacular views on the loop.

2. Upper Yosemitie Falls. Four to five hours one way. A stenuous hike but one you won't regret as the view is awesome. Plus, once on top, you will see things few have seen. Start at 6 am and you'll have the best light on top.
3. Half Dome is nice but the cables will probably be down, so skip this one.

4. Drive to Glacier pt and hike down to the valley. Of course, someone will have to take you up there. Four to six hours. If you can't/won't do the hike down, go up in the evening for some fantastic sunset photos.

Have fun and post some photos.

troutbum96013's gear list:troutbum96013's gear list
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
cambomj
Like?
In reply to cambomj, Jun 26, 2012

Hi All,

It was wet here today and I dropped into a couple of camera shops in my lunch hour.

Had a chance to play with the Canon and was almost ready to put the plastic down when I found a Sigma in excellent condition for $250 - that's less than half what I'd pay for it through an online site (and it included a Filter!). Sadly, I'll put the 20-35 up on eBay now..

Really can't fault the price, just now need to practice and learn how to extract the best from it.

Thanks to all for your advice, I promise to post something when I get back,

Cheers...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads