D3200 - Missing Bracketing function - any solutions?

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions
panoviews
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?
D3200 - Missing Bracketing function - any solutions?
Jun 7, 2012

I'd like to move from Canon to Nikon for a small project. The D3200 with the 24MPx Sony sensor would be fine, but the bracketing function is crippled by Nikon.

Are there firmware hacks for Nikon available to reactivate the bracketing function on the D3200?

panoviews's gear list:panoviews's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ansel Spear
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
Re: D3200 - Missing Bracketing function - any solutions?
In reply to panoviews, Jun 7, 2012

The bracketing function isn't "crippled" by Nikon, as you say. It simply wasn't included at that price.

Do what we did in the days before computerised cameras - manually bracket.

No "hack" required. Simples.

I've had mine (with an existing 18-200 lens) as my travel camera for all of 5 days and it produces fantastic results - manually bracketing.

It does tend to overexpose by a 1/3 - 1/2 stops, but you can compensate for that.

Ansel Spear's gear list:Ansel Spear's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?

I wonder if you need to move to the Nikon at all. What exactly do you expect the Nikon to give you that the Canon can't ?

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?

There might be some hacks we cannot say but there is evidently a team of hackers who have done some work on other models..a bit that is.

I would not buy on the basis of a maybe firmware hack down the road. My advice is to vote with your wallet, if you need a camera with bracketing then I wouldn't buy the D3200

I've no idea why Nikon would leave off such a simple feature, it's disappointing and very strange in 2012 esp on a DSLR..entry level or not.

Tom May
Senior MemberPosts: 1,676
Like?

Via someone here on one of the threads, I found a device from Promote Systems that will do what you want, albeit at $329.00, and frankly, the bracketing on entry level cameras that have it at all is generally limited.

http://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-Control.html

Were it not for a fractured right wrist in a splint, I would give you an HDR example with the D3200 and the Promote Control as I have both, but I'm still a bit awkward at this point.

As for the D3200, some 100% crops seem to be soft and and this appears to come down to the autofocus system rather than some inherent flaw in the 24 MP sensor, so you might want to look at the D5100 at this point in time. I have an Epson 7900 so the D3200 seemed at the time to be a good choice, and I'm confident that this will be sorted out.

tom

panoviews
Like?
In reply to Deleted1929, Jun 7, 2012

24 MPx on APS-C with a low price tag for the plain body. Years ago you switched the film type, now you switch the sensor (camera body).

sjgcit wrote:

I wonder if you need to move to the Nikon at all. What exactly do you expect the Nikon to give you that the Canon can't ?
--
StephenG

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
James Hacker
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?

If you shoot RAW you can use the NX2 software that comes with the camera to adjust EV and save to multiple jpg files at different EV levels. I'm not sure if the results would be exactly the same as bracketing. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can confirm.

Deleted1929
Like?

What do you think 24 MP will do for your photography ?

I notice you do panoramas. Frankly getting a large pixel count won't give you more detail ( assuming that's what you're after ). Your limitation will typically be the lens and the shooting conditions and I'm very sceptical that you'd get more real detail from a 24Mp D3200 than you would from your existing system ( Canon 5D from your gallery ? ).

I'd much prefer stitching in terms of getting more detail, particularly with the right software and technique.

As you mention bracketing I'm assuming you're planning HDR panoramas. I'd still be inclined to stitch. With something like Hugin you're able to do HDR panos from bracketing sets even hand held ( although I'm not recommending handheld ).

-- hide signature --

StephenG

panoviews
Like?
In reply to James Hacker, Jun 7, 2012

Thanks a lot, James, I'm aware about this workaround.

panoviews
Like?
In reply to Deleted1929, Jun 7, 2012

...the thread is about bracketing + D3200...

sjgcit wrote:

What do you think 24 MP will do for your photography ?

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Deleted1929
Like?

It doesn't have bracketing. If that's all this thread is about then you're wasting everyone's time and should be looking at a different body. It's that simple.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,732
Like?
Plenty of solutions

Yes, get a D7000? If you must have those 24MP, then simply bracket manually. The only time automated bracketing comes in handy is when you want to do it as a burst, and generally, that's not the best way to do it anyway. Bracketing is nice, but I find half the time I forget to turn it off, and then I waste 3-4 exposures before I figure out why everything is coming out too dark or too bright.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home page: http://imagesbyeduardo.com
Portfolio page: http://downeyweddingphotography.com/wedfolio

mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,948Gear list
Like?

panoviews wrote:

I'd like to move from Canon to Nikon for a small project. The D3200 with the 24MPx Sony sensor would be fine, but the bracketing function is crippled by Nikon.

Are there firmware hacks for Nikon available to reactivate the bracketing function on the D3200?

No hacks available, sorry.

If you need AEB more than MP, buy a D5100 instead. It gives you a lot more useable features for a similar price. But only 3 steps of up to 2 stops.

If you need 24MP, wait 6 months for the D5100 replacement. Or the D7000 replacement.

If you want a full-competence AEB function, buy a D300s or one of the pro bodies.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
DrGregoryHouse
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?

If you are on a tripod there is some software you can use tethered to a laptop from http://controlmynikon.com It has a really nice bracketing feature, looks like they don't have support for D3200 yet. I sent a message to them to find out when it will be available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY3Cmt17pec

herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,709Gear list
Like?
Re: Plenty of solutions
In reply to eNo, Jun 7, 2012

eNo wrote:

Yes, get a D7000? If you must have those 24MP, then simply bracket manually. The only time automated bracketing comes in handy is when you want to do it as a burst, and generally, that's not the best way to do it anyway. Bracketing is nice, but I find half the time I forget to turn it off, and then I waste 3-4 exposures before I figure out why everything is coming out too dark or too bright.
--

Bracketing manually...wow, what a concept...you mean it'll happen if you actually turn some dials...cool...
--
Herby

Michel F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,778
Like?
In reply to Ansel Spear, Jun 8, 2012

Ansel Spear wrote:

The bracketing function isn't "crippled" by Nikon, as you say. It simply wasn't included at that price.

Do what we did in the days before computerised cameras - manually bracket.

In many instances, manually bracketing will not work. The time it takes to move the exposure compensation up and down manually is enough to make the leaves blurry on a windy day and show cloud or water movement. Trying to do crisp HDR's while bracketing manually is an exercise in frustration when there is even a slight wind which happens often when one is outdoors. With My D300, I put my camera on a tripod, set the shutter release to burst mode and I can get 3 or 5 bracketed exposures in less than a second. Try that with manual bracketing !

No "hack" required. Simples.

I've had mine (with an existing 18-200 lens) as my travel camera for all of 5 days and it produces fantastic results - manually bracketing.

It does tend to overexpose by a 1/3 - 1/2 stops, but you can compensate for that.

-- hide signature --
Michel F
Like?
In reply to Tom May, Jun 8, 2012

Thanks for the link. It's interesting albeit pricey.

Tom May wrote:

Via someone here on one of the threads, I found a device from Promote Systems that will do what you want, albeit at $329.00, and frankly, the bracketing on entry level cameras that have it at all is generally limited.

http://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-Control.html

Were it not for a fractured right wrist in a splint, I would give you an HDR example with the D3200 and the Promote Control as I have both, but I'm still a bit awkward at this point.

As for the D3200, some 100% crops seem to be soft and and this appears to come down to the autofocus system rather than some inherent flaw in the 24 MP sensor, so you might want to look at the D5100 at this point in time. I have an Epson 7900 so the D3200 seemed at the time to be a good choice, and I'm confident that this will be sorted out.

tom

-- hide signature --
aesmith
Regular MemberPosts: 239
Like?
In reply to Michel F, Jun 8, 2012

What is the interval between exposures when you're auto bracketing (on cameras that support the function of course). I'm surprised it would be quick enough to avoid the effects you mention. Or does it not actually take multiple exposures - instead do some internal trickery to save different versions of the one shot?

Thanks, Tony S

Michel F wrote:

In many instances, manually bracketing will not work. The time it takes to move the > exposure compensation up and down manually is enough to make the leaves blurry > on a windy day and show cloud or water movement.

Michel F
Like?
In reply to aesmith, Jun 10, 2012

Tony, like I mentioned, you just have to shoot with the camera set to burst mode (D5100 is 4 FPS and the D300 is 3 or 6 FPS). When bracketing is enabled, you hold the shutter and the camera will do the work for you.

The interval exposures depend on the camera you use. The D5100 is limited I am told. I have only used it to take -1, 0 and +1 EV shots so far. The D300 has more options when bracketing.

aesmith wrote:

What is the interval between exposures when you're auto bracketing (on cameras that support the function of course). I'm surprised it would be quick enough to avoid the effects you mention. Or does it not actually take multiple exposures - instead do some internal trickery to save different versions of the one shot?

Thanks, Tony S

Michel F wrote:

In many instances, manually bracketing will not work. The time it takes to move the > exposure compensation up and down manually is enough to make the leaves blurry > on a windy day and show cloud or water movement.

-- hide signature --
Polyglot92
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465
Like?
In reply to Michel F, Jun 10, 2012

Michel F wrote:

Tony, like I mentioned, you just have to shoot with the camera set to burst mode (D5100 is 4 FPS and the D300 is 3 or 6 FPS). When bracketing is enabled, you hold the shutter and the camera will do the work for you.

The interval exposures depend on the camera you use. The D5100 is limited I am told. I have only used it to take -1, 0 and +1 EV shots so far. The D300 has more options when bracketing.

aesmith wrote:

Thanks, Tony S

Michel F wrote:

-- hide signature --

DX cameras (including the D7000) tend to go up to + and - 2EV only, which is usually the most suitable setting (better than + and - 1).

If the dynamic range of a scene very large, though, (strong lights and shade, inside/outside), you will want to enlarge the bracketing range with exposure compensation. Here's a link ot a good explanation:

http://www.hdriblog.com/2011/01/02/nikon-d7000-hdr/

This won't work for moving subjets such as leaves in the wind (ghosting from certain moving subjects such as people walking through the scene can sometimes be removed by good HDR software, but I don't believe it works for leaves waving back and forth).

-- hide signature --

D5000 - Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6G ED VR - Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4 G - Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR - Canon PowerShot S95 - Canon PowerShot S3

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads