5D1/5D2/5D3 experience, Canon wins again

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,302
Like?
5D1/5D2/5D3 experience, Canon wins again
Jun 7, 2012

At least for me.

This is an enthusiast's perspective. I have used all 5D series cameras, 30D and 7D. Never used 1D series. So, read on if you are on the same boat and don't mind long posts.

I revel in the joy of capturing moments. Do I care about IQ? Of course I do. That’s why I use the cameras and lenses that I do. But my passion for photography has given me more than those moments of joy. It has given me the satisfaction in the knowledge that lots of other people find my pictures useful in many ways. This makes the whole experience even more rewarding. And for all these, most credit goes to Canon for making such awesome cameras and lenses.

I started my DSLR journey with 5Dc. My pictures from this camera have been used by more than one university (USA, South Korea) for educational purposes. Some have been used by United Nations. One made to a magazine cover.

Experience with 5D2 has been even more rewarding. In addition to other recognitions, one picture from this camera has been used as a book cover.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aftab/7114660209/
http://www.continuumbooks.com/books/detail.aspx?BookId=165822&SntUrl=153666

I was so happy with 5D2 (and all the fabulous Canon lenses) that not for a moment I thought I needed to upgrade. After all, in low ISO and when used with right lenses, its IQ is as good as it can be with current knowhow. We can debate about it all day, but greater part of what we call IQ is subjective, so my feeling is as valid as anyone else’s.

Then came 5D3.

Full scene

A real life example. Handheld with 5D3 and 400mm/f5.6.Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L.

Yes, this could have been done with 5D2. Both cameras have practically the same resolution. The reason I posted this picture here is to show that for a user like me 22MP is just fine. It gives me great flexibility in cropping if needed without slowing me down with additional time spent in technique and processing.

So, why did I upgrade to 5D3? In the hope that with its better AF and low light capability my shooting experience will be more enjoyable.

(continued)

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
aftab
Like?
Re: 5D1/5D2/5D3 experience, Canon wins again
In reply to aftab, Jun 7, 2012

Full scene

100% crop from another image taken few seconds earlier

I highly doubt that 5D2 could have focussed on a flapping butterfly from that distance and captured the moment. But not just a small moving objects at a distance.

I will bore you with a non real life example. To see the noise difference between two cameras I decided to do a test on this mannequin. 5D2+85/1.2 couldn’t focus on the smooth and featureless forehead after several tries. 5D3 focussed each time. Then I put that pink mark on the forehead to help 5D2 focus.

After several tries 5D2 image always came out softer. But when I focused on the eyebrows images from both cameras were equally sharp. Then I tried with 135mm on both cameras. Similar results. And you all know how 5D3 focuses in extremely low light.

I said before that I was so happy with 5D2 that I didn’t feel the need to upgrade. Now, after using 5D3 for couple of months I feel like I made the right decision. The whole experience of taking pictures has changed. 5D3 is a significantly better camera than 5D2 when it comes to shooting experience, number of keepers and expanding the possibility of what you can do. It even makes some of the same fabulous lenses work better.

So, should you upgrade if you own 5D2? If money is not a consideration and if you are an enthusiast like me, then the answer is simple. Definitely yes.

Most cars will take you from A to B. But only few cars will do that with extreme ease, comfort and safety and will do it more often than others.

This camera grows on you. I see people posting comments/reviews after using it for a day or two. Do not listen to them.

I have also briefly owned and used 30D and 7D. I don't have them anymore because I after two tries I figured that preferred FF images.

At the end its not just cameras, its is always the camera and lens combination as far as gear is concerned. With 5D series and its excellent lenses Canon has the most enviable DSLR system for an enthusiast like me.
Thank you Canon.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,380Gear list
Like?
Nine years and ten Canons later........

......I am enjoying my own 5D3.

Saddened to see Canon behind the eight-ball but who knows what tomorrow may bring.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?

aftab wrote:

Yes, this could have been done with 5D2.

Or with a Rebel or with the xxD. There is nothing in this crop that impresses. Your AF tests however are interesting.

carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,694Gear list
Like?

No question that 5DIII > 5DII > 5D the only question is if it's worth the $3500 to get there.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
Ogjetaknight
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?

Cool, I like the butterfly pics

carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,694Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter 13, Jun 7, 2012

Peter 13 wrote:

aftab wrote:

Or with a Rebel or with the xxD.

Matter of fact Rebel or xxD will give you much better reach in the Heron sample.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
aftab
Like?
Re: Nine years and ten Canons later........
In reply to DFPanno, Jun 7, 2012

Why saddened? As a Canon user I don't see any reason to be saddened. Yes, there are one or two things competition does better, but photography or the equipment is more than those one or two things. As a system Canon is as good or better than the competition.

DFPanno wrote:

......I am enjoying my own 5D3.

Saddened to see Canon behind the eight-ball but who knows what tomorrow may bring.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

jdavis37
Senior MemberPosts: 2,395
Like?
In reply to carlk, Jun 7, 2012

Rent one and see for yourself.. questioning forum repeatedly isn't going to help. I rented both D800 and 5D3 expecting to switch to nikon based upon all the reports here. D800 was packaged up early and only tear I shed was when I shipped 5D3 back. Currently own 7D. Did not miss the reach one bit.. 5D3 files handled cropping superbly, retaining lots of detail.

All these posters throwing 5d3 under bus and I wonder what% of them have ever used one. It won't be the camera for everybody just as D800 wont be. Until you try fro yourself though you will never know which tool fits your hands better.

carlk wrote:

No question that 5DIII > 5DII > 5D the only question is if it's worth the $3500 to get there.

-- hide signature --

Please forgive the typos! A great speller I am, a great typist I am not!

I have shot with both Nikon D800 and Canon 5D3

aftab
Like?

I am more easily impressed maybe.

You are right, a lot of other cameras will do it. But I always preferred FF IQ. I know this is subjective.

Peter 13 wrote:

aftab wrote:

Or with a Rebel or with the xxD. There is nothing in this crop that impresses. Your AF tests however are interesting.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

aftab
Like?

From my experience, it is. Of course, I wish that Canon priced 5D3 lower. But I can't put a value on the joy of shooting with 5D3 compared to 5D2. This alone worth the upgrade for me. And there are other things too.

carlk wrote:

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

aftab
Like?
In reply to Ogjetaknight, Jun 7, 2012

Thanks.

Ogjetaknight wrote:

Cool, I like the butterfly pics

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

JackM
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,276Gear list
Like?
wrong.

Peter 13 wrote:

aftab wrote:

Rebel or 60D or 7D at 100% crop are significantly inferior to the 5D3. I've owned them all.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
aftab
Like?

I know. That's why I tried 30D with 5Dc and 7D with 5D2. But I always liked FF images better. I am not saying that there is some objective way of saying why FF images looked better to me, but they just did.

carlk wrote:

Peter 13 wrote:

aftab wrote:

Or with a Rebel or with the xxD.

Matter of fact Rebel or xxD will give you much better reach in the Heron sample.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.

JackM
Like?
It's not $3500

carlk wrote:

It's not $3500, it's $3500 minus whatever you sell to get there. For me it was a 5D2 + 7D + $500. Easy.

If you are buying a 5D3 as your first DSLR, then it's $3500, and you probably have more money than brains.

Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
Peter 13
Like?
Re: wrong.
In reply to JackM, Jun 7, 2012

JackM wrote:

Peter 13 wrote:

aftab wrote:

Rebel or 60D or 7D at 100% crop are significantly inferior to the 5D3. I've owned them all.

I agree in principle but I was talking about that particular crop.

Volksgti81
Contributing MemberPosts: 726Gear list
Like?

22mp is nothing to sneeze at I agree. Thank you for making me feel even better about my 5D III purchase.

Volksgti81's gear list:Volksgti81's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
JackM
Like?

Peter 13 wrote:

I agree in principle but I was talking about that particular crop.

The vast majority of the time it doesn't matter what crop. 5D2/3 are superior to all Canon APS-C sensors. This should not be hard to grasp, or a surprise.

Peter 13
Like?
In reply to JackM, Jun 7, 2012

JackM wrote:

The vast majority of the time it doesn't matter what crop. 5D2/3 are superior to all Canon APS-C sensors. This should not be hard to grasp, or a surprise.

I agree. And for this reason, the OP should not have used that crop to demonstrate the superiority of the 5D3.

Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,322Gear list
Like?
Nice general illustration of the cropping power of high resolution

Of course, it could be argued that cameras like the D800 would extend this capability but I am making due with a 5D2 & D3x.

Sorry I haven't read your Part 2 yet.

Full scene

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads