TCON17X teleconverter for XZ-1 first impressions + Pics

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions
DaveinOC
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
TCON17X teleconverter for XZ-1 first impressions + Pics
Jun 7, 2012

I received not too long ago my TCON17X teleconverter from B&H ($200 for the teleconverter and $30 or the CLA adapter ring). The construction of the lens is amazing as always with Olympus.

Once the converter is attached to the ring and to the camera, it makes a pretty big camera aferwards as you can see here:

But the bulk of the weight is then in the less, so you end up hold your whole system by the plastic grip on the lens. Very easy and safe this way.

This series of pictures shows the same outdoor scene at max zoom without converter (112mm) then with converter at wide angle, at approximately mid zoom and at max zoom (1.7x112 = 190mm).
http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/4252808105/photos/2013878/p5162259
http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/4252808105/photos/2013879/p5162261
http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/4252808105/photos/2013880/p5162262
http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/4252808105/photos/2013877/p5162263

Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 1,982Gear list
Like?
Would like to hear more about it.
In reply to DaveinOC, 8 months ago

Thanks for posting.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 768Gear list
Like?
Re: Would like to hear more about it.
In reply to phazelag, 8 months ago

Thanks for posting.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/benokan/sets/72157627985418597/

Hope that would helps a bit

Ben

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Nokia Lumia 1520 +2 more
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,614Gear list
Like?
Re: TCON17X teleconverter for XZ-1 first impressions + Pics
In reply to DaveinOC, 8 months ago

Do you truly find the additional expense, mechanics of installation, and size of the rig when "assembled" to be worth the limited added focal length gained by all this?  Is my math correct is that the XZ-1 WITH these things added, increases to a 6.8X zoom?  I'm not being negative, or finding fault.  Just trying to work through....if such an acquisition would be worth it compared to maybe just purchasing a longer zoom camera instead.

I think the results of this combo is quite good.  I have had experience with the 1.7X adapter in the past, and liked it then.

Thanks for commenting.

Bob

Ben O Connor
Like?
In reply to BobT, 8 months ago

BobT wrote:

Do you truly find the additional expense, mechanics of installation, and size of the rig when "assembled" to be worth the limited added focal length gained by all this? Is my math correct is that the XZ-1 WITH these things added, increases to a 6.8X zoom? I'm not being negative, or finding fault. Just trying to work through....if such an acquisition would be worth it compared to maybe just purchasing a longer zoom camera instead.

I think the results of this combo is quite good. I have had experience with the 1.7X adapter in the past, and liked it then.

Thanks for commenting.

Bob

Some of my TCON-17x ideas as its user.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52356647

Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Nokia Lumia 1520 +2 more
phazelag
Like?
I am investigating with the Olympus Stylus 1 in mind.

That would make it almost 520mm equiv at f2.8 That could be very useful in some situations.  But I too am concerned about how much I would really use it.

Z

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Ben O Connor
Like?
Re: I am investigating with the Olympus Stylus 1 in mind.
In reply to phazelag, 8 months ago

Here is also my subkective view on differance by TCON-17.

Actually 112mm to 190mm (both on XZ-1/2) is not too much differance.

• without TCON: You know your subject has colorfull eyes (112mm)
  • with      TCON: You know your subject has blue eyes.     (190mm)

But story would be preety different between 300mm to 510mm (on Stylus 1)

• without TCON : You know its full moon tonight                                            (300mm)
  • with     TCON : You are sure that there are no UFO´s on the moon tonight !   (510mm)

Cheers

Ben

cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 1,557
Like?

BobT wrote:

Do you truly find the additional expense, mechanics of installation, and size of the rig when "assembled" to be worth the limited added focal length gained by all this? Is my math correct is that the XZ-1 WITH these things added, increases to a 6.8X zoom? I'm not being negative, or finding fault. Just trying to work through....if such an acquisition would be worth it compared to maybe just purchasing a longer zoom camera instead.

The additional expense doesn't need to be more than about $60 or so if you go for a second-hand B-300 TC, a 52mm lens adapter (like this one, or the Kiwi Photos LA-52XZ1 which is a little more but possibly better quality) and a 52-55mm step-up ring.

I've tried such a combo with my XZ-2 and the results were excellent.  However I generally find the rig too impractical to bother with.

phazelag
Like?
Thanks Cainn24 FYI though the Stylus 1 uses a different adapter
In reply to cainn24, 8 months ago

I may get one of the adapters you showed for the XZ-1, But the Stylus 1 uses the CLA-13 not the CLA-12 for the lens adapter.  Just in case anyone reading this might assume they are the same.  I thought they might be.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads