New sekonic rt-32ctl

Started Jun 6, 2012 | Discussions
Mercerjimmy
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
New sekonic rt-32ctl
Jun 6, 2012

I use the new pocket wizard flextt5's, ac3 and also i use the sekonic 758dr meter. I noticed sekonic came out with a new transmitter module called the rt-32ctl. My question is what's the purpose of it?  I notice one of the highlights is you can trigger the flash in ttl (controltl mode) with the meter. Why would you want to do that? Won't the camera adjust the flash automatically anyways since its in ttl?  What are the benefits of this new module in your opinion if any?  Am i missing something? Thanks so much!

Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,024Gear list
Like?
Re: New sekonic rt-32ctl
In reply to Mercerjimmy, Jun 6, 2012

Let's say you're one of those people who keep their camera on a tripod and they ant to walk over to the model and trigger the flashes with their light meter in position. They just push the button.

Also thanks for the head's up. Just saw B&H has them in stock as a new arrival and ordered one.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mercerjimmy
Like?
In reply to Nikonparrothead, Jun 6, 2012

Thanks for the reply. The question is what is the benefit of the rt-32ctl over the rt-32n? With the r-32n I can still trigger the flash with the meter wirelessly when in standard mode. Thanks so much for your reply and glad you were able to order it.

espanel
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mercerjimmy, Jun 7, 2012

TTL is, more often than not, unreliable so we adjust the power of strobes manually. The RT-32N does not enable you adjust the power using AC3 while in manual mode because it communicates by TTL only but the new module will solve this.

espanel's gear list:espanel's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Mercerjimmy
Like?
In reply to espanel, Jun 8, 2012

Thanks for the info you cleared it up for me. I figured it was something to that effect but was wondering if there was another benefit. Thanks so much I will probably order it based on that. Take care!

Ray Rosewall
Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?
In reply to Mercerjimmy, Jun 13, 2012

I just installed the RT-32CTL in my 758DR. Note that you have to upgrade the software in the Pocket Wizards as well. The new PW software is not released yet so you have to use the beta version. I have only triggered the SB900 as a standalone flash but hope to try using with my AB800s and AC3 this weekend.

I have asked Pocket Wizard to about the "auto tracking" function which is supposed to set the "centerpoint" when you take the first picture to see if triggering the flash using the Sekonic meter is seen as the "first shot". have not heard back from them yet so if anyone can clarify this I would appreciate it.
--
Ray R

'I look to the future because that's where I'm going to spend the rest of my life.' George Burns (1896 - 1996)

Ray Rosewall
Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?
In reply to Ray Rosewall, Jun 13, 2012

here is the response form PW tech Support. Kudos to them for the fast reply.

"PowerTracking is a transmitter side function; if you set it only on your remotes, it will have no effect. Consequently, the tracking is centered on the first shutter press from your camera; it will not center from the Sekonic meter press.

You can reset the tracking by flicking the radio off and then back on again. If you are trying to reset your tracking, you may be interested to know you can set your FEC values or AC3 dial in A to adjust the flash power, and then PowerTracking will track from your ISO and aperture after that."
--
Ray R

'I look to the future because that's where I'm going to spend the rest of my life.' George Burns (1896 - 1996)

alembic
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to Ray Rosewall, Jul 7, 2012

I have the flash channel on my L-358 set to 1; the RT-32CTL works on the first flash reading but doesn't trigger the FlexTT5 thereafter. If I change the channel on the FlexTT5 from C1 to C2 and back again, the meter triggers the flash. It's almost like resetting the FlexTT5 allows it to work again.

The firmware on the FlexTT5 has been upgraded to 3.110. I'm new to flash meters so maybe I've accidentally configured the Sekonic unit incorrectly. Any idea what setting might be causing this behavior? Thanks.

alembic
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to alembic, Jul 15, 2012

Update: I received instructions from the Mac group (Sekonic distributors) in the US to set the flash on manual and to use a STD receive channel on the FlexTT5. But this would be like sticking an RT-32N in my meter and not being able to use the AC3 as in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPpooqFWn3w

Configuration looks simple but I can't get the meter to trigger the flash after the first pop. Can somebody share the configuration used on the meter, transceiver and flash? Thx.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads