Not excited about my D800

Started Jun 4, 2012 | Discussions
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,268Gear list
Like?
Re: High resolution mastering?
In reply to Luke Kaven, Jun 4, 2012

I'm familiar with the roll-off argument Luke, it's the one usually used in high end audio. And as you can see from my post I tend to agree that there will be a slight improvement in detail.
--
Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,293Gear list
Like?
Alternatives
In reply to Absolutic, Jun 4, 2012

You'd be surprised by what you can do with great lenses on a small, light APS-C body, like the D3200. If even that's overkill for what you do, why not just sell the D800 and Nikon lenses and enjoy your NEX-5N? If you just feel the need to have a FF DSLR, get back the D700. Nothing says you have to keep the D800.

Absolutic wrote:

I've had my D800 since March and so far I have not been overly excited about it. I read all the specs and all the glorious reviews. The truth is I realized that I don't really need 36MP. I was fine with my D700 12MP and loved that camera, the AF was great, I had 8fps with a grip, it had levers to switch from single to continuous AF, instead of pressing some button in front and scroll wheels through myriad of modes.

I got D800, but I am not sure I am using all of its features. I very rarely print photos (once in a blue moon, upon vacation) so most of my use is online archiving and sharing with friends and family. The AF I don't find better than D700. The battery life is worse. The video is a nice bonus, but my $650 Sony NEX-5n does 1080p/60fps and has silent AF at the same time and the video quality is better (at least to my eye).

the 36MP files are eating my hard drives. I spend $3K for the camera and I feel I should be enjoying it more than I am doing. I even thought about trading it for Canon 5DM3 (I have some nice Canon lenses, including the excellent 70-200 F/2.8 IS II) but I keep reading about how terrible 5DM3, how soft the images are, how its dynamic range is only 11EV vs 14.4EV on D800, how its JPEGS are mushy, etc., so I feel I have a much better spec'd camera in D800, yet there is no love affair there. Perhaps I am one of these for who D800 was not intended?
--

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
Biological_Viewfinder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?
Re: D600?
In reply to rhlpetrus, Jun 4, 2012

rhlpetrus wrote:

I wish Nikon would do a D800 body with a 24MP sensor, 6-8 fps, top AF. That would be a more useful camera to many.

They do. It's called the D4.

Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,081
Like?
Re: High resolution mastering?
In reply to JimPearce, Jun 4, 2012

JimPearce wrote:

I'm familiar with the roll-off argument Luke, it's the one usually used in high end audio. And as you can see from my post I tend to agree that there will be a slight improvement in detail.

Hi Jim...saying that partly to agree with you and for the benefit of the others.

We had a discussion about this at LuLa a while ago, where a few comparisons were made. The study could go further, but the discussion was informative.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=60585.0

Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,676Gear list
Like?
Re: This is too much negativity
In reply to Scot_P, Jun 4, 2012

Scot_P wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

Since I managed to bring a lot of negativity with my original post, I want to try to end it on a happy note.... here are a few of my happy pictures I've taken with D800 lately.

Great pics.... I like the B&W one the best.... Just curious, what's with the blue line separting the tree line from the sky?

Just noticed myself, will investigate after I get home

-- hide signature --

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +5 more
waqasm
Regular MemberPosts: 243
Like?
It would still sell for more than what you paid for it

Sell it for a profit; switch back to a cheaper d700 .. WIN

Absolutic wrote:

I've had my D800 since March and so far I have not been overly excited about it. I read all the specs and all the glorious reviews. The truth is I realized that I don't really need 36MP. I was fine with my D700 12MP and loved that camera, the AF was great, I had 8fps with a grip, it had levers to switch from single to continuous AF, instead of pressing some button in front and scroll wheels through myriad of modes.

I got D800, but I am not sure I am using all of its features. I very rarely print photos (once in a blue moon, upon vacation) so most of my use is online archiving and sharing with friends and family. The AF I don't find better than D700. The battery life is worse. The video is a nice bonus, but my $650 Sony NEX-5n does 1080p/60fps and has silent AF at the same time and the video quality is better (at least to my eye).

the 36MP files are eating my hard drives. I spend $3K for the camera and I feel I should be enjoying it more than I am doing. I even thought about trading it for Canon 5DM3 (I have some nice Canon lenses, including the excellent 70-200 F/2.8 IS II) but I keep reading about how terrible 5DM3, how soft the images are, how its dynamic range is only 11EV vs 14.4EV on D800, how its JPEGS are mushy, etc., so I feel I have a much better spec'd camera in D800, yet there is no love affair there. Perhaps I am one of these for who D800 was not intended?
--

carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,783Gear list
Like?
Re: Not excited about my D800

I agree you don't need the camera. I would consider selling it and go for some of the mirrorless aps-c, m4/3 from Sony, Fuji or Oly.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
John Miranda
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
Crop

Even if you don't need 36MP for your output use, one thing I am enjoying with the D800 over the D700 is the ability to crop so much out and still have lots left. I recall a story where Galen Rowell in his photography workshops would examine students' pictures, and by just cropping, illustrated how he could improve something like 90% of the images.

View the D800 as an opportunity to exercise cropping skills - eliminate everything you can until eliminating anything else would modify the image's message.

-- hide signature --
bloomoose
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,215Gear list
Like?
I´d say keep it ...

... it won´t be long and most DSLRs will have either 24 or 36 Mpix. We will all have to buy bigger hard drives and adapt our workflow accordingly. If you shoot RAW, try learning more about PPing.

I think, it´s normal not to be overly excited. The D800 produces bigger files (ok, it produces files with much better dynamic range, too), but they need to be pp´d like the rest of them.

So my advice is, don´t give up and - as someone put it - grow into your D800. Don´t listen to people on the forum trying to belittle you. Listen to people who are supportive and great teachers - for example Scott Kelby - who will help you enhance your images.

-- hide signature --
 bloomoose's gear list:bloomoose's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 +10 more
commiebiker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388Gear list
Like?
Re: D600?
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, Jun 4, 2012

they don't, but Canon does.....

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

I wish Nikon would do a D800 body with a 24MP sensor, 6-8 fps, top AF. That would be a more useful camera to many.

They do. It's called the D4.

commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Nikon D3S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R +8 more
Absolutic
Like?
In reply to carlk, Jun 4, 2012

carlk wrote:

I agree you don't need the camera. I would consider selling it and go for some of the mirrorless aps-c, m4/3 from Sony, Fuji or Oly.

I like the idea of optical viewfinder, fast phase autofocus, continuous AF that works, and actually seeing the action when i am shooting it (not have the action frozen on display or in EIF after the first shot like on m4/3 cameras for example).

I do agree that picture quality of mirrorless, for example Sony NEX 5n I own (same sensor as D7000, with a weaker anti-aliasing filter) or new NEX7, the picture quality of is at least better than the best APS-C DSLRs.
--

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +5 more
Absolutic
Like?
Re: I´d say keep it ...
In reply to bloomoose, Jun 4, 2012

bloomoose wrote:

... it won´t be long and most DSLRs will have either 24 or 36 Mpix. We will all have to buy bigger hard drives and adapt our workflow accordingly. If you shoot RAW, try learning more about PPing.

I think, it´s normal not to be overly excited. The D800 produces bigger files (ok, it produces files with much better dynamic range, too), but they need to be pp´d like the rest of them.

So my advice is, don´t give up and - as someone put it - grow into your D800. Don´t listen to people on the forum trying to belittle you. Listen to people who are supportive and great teachers - for example Scott Kelby - who will help you enhance your images.

-- hide signature --

Thanks Pam. There is no reason for me to give up, I agree. I am not overly excited, like other Nikonfanboys, yes. I am a reasonable user and a critical one, yes. I also use other cameras as well. I have a lot of Nikon lenses, many of which I like. I might look to see what D600 brings when it comes out and re-evaluate. I am not worrying much as I most likely be able to sell or trade D800 at least for the nearest 6 months to a year, and not lose that much in value.

Doctor D
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?

Yes, the only reason I traded in my D700 was the movie mode in D800 and its so called autofocus. I was a little lazy concerning focus issues on my Canon EOS 5D Mark II and I thought a D800 will be my all in one camera. The focus is not working perfectly and I have to use it the same way I used my Canon in movie mode.

Doctor D's gear list:Doctor D's gear list
Nikon D4s
reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
A $3000 mistake

Better to know now than later when the D800 is worth nothing more than a good paperweight.

Absolutic
Like?
Video
In reply to Doctor D, Jun 4, 2012

Doctor D wrote:

Yes, the only reason I traded in my D700 was the movie mode in D800 and its so called autofocus. I was a little lazy concerning focus issues on my Canon EOS 5D Mark II and I thought a D800 will be my all in one camera. The focus is not working perfectly and I have to use it the same way I used my Canon in movie mode.

You should try some of the mirrorless. the AVCHD 1080p/60fps on my NEX 5n is phenomenal. the AF is truly silent.... it is not instant but certainly faster than on D7000/D800. It might also have to do with lenses on mirrorless, they design them in a way to make AF silent.
--

Absolutic
Like?
Re: A $3000 mistake
In reply to reginalddwight, Jun 4, 2012

reginalddwight wrote:

Better to know now than later when the D800 is worth nothing more than a good paperweight.

The 2008 D700 still commands $1800-1900 used and 5DM2 sells for $1700 used 4 years later. Two-year-old D7000 sells used for almost the new price. With tight Nikon inventory practice as they are doing it on all the cameras other than cheap D3200/5100 series, they are out of stock most of the time on most of the cameras (and most lenses) even on the things they've been selling for a while.

D800 will command $2500-3000 for years to come. It is a safe investment.

-- hide signature --

M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,802
Like?

No ,the 5D Mark III will b absolutely not simpler to use for a 'Nikon' guy, that is just the problem...

By the way I tried out the Canon 5D Mark III today, unfortunately in very wetty conditions., and it is the first camera out of the 5D series where I feel, yes a great camera. It feels sturdy, the focusing is snappy.

The D800 is specifically aimed at those needing high resolution and/or high quality video. This is time after time told by Nikon, it is explained at DPreview and numerous other serious camera equipment sites (forget all those stupid D800 to 5D Mark III comparison websites and articles to create ad clicks). The 5D Mark III is more aimed at the general photographer, both camera's have a different kind of usage and user in mind.

Michel

Absolutic wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Mine is much better. Your technique must be flawed.

Obviously not. Maybe you are unable to get the best from the camera and need something simpler. A Canon 5D MKIII will probably fit the bill.

How condescending of you. By the way what makes you think that 5D Mark III is a simpler camera to use for a longtime Nikon user?

-- hide signature --
barnicle
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?

Absolutic, sounds like you already know the D800 is not for you. I personally don't own one, It's doesn't confirm to my current needs. Would I love the resolution, yes at times, limited times we the resolution is truly needed. I However I am not willing to give up other features, like high ISO, and FPS. Based upon most post I have read here you wont get much sympathy, there seems to be a real love affair with the D800. I would suggest like others have suggested look at a used D3s or D4, unless the body size bother you. Rent one and try it out, then decide. Good luck.

vaxn8r
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
In reply to barnicle, Jun 4, 2012

It is disappointing the D4 is $3,000 more than the D800. That's clearly the camera many of us would have hoped for at a better price point.

I don't own a D800 but I'm super impressed with what it offers, epsecially at that price point. If it floats your boat get it. But that feature set is not for everyone (read me). If a D4 prosumer cam came out with the same sensor and 95% of it's features for about $3k I would buy it in a New York minute.

barnicle wrote:

Absolutic, sounds like you already know the D800 is not for you. I personally don't own one, It's doesn't confirm to my current needs. Would I love the resolution, yes at times, limited times we the resolution is truly needed. I However I am not willing to give up other features, like high ISO, and FPS. Based upon most post I have read here you wont get much sympathy, there seems to be a real love affair with the D800. I would suggest like others have suggested look at a used D3s or D4, unless the body size bother you. Rent one and try it out, then decide. Good luck.

vaxn8r's gear list:vaxn8r's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
barnicle
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
In reply to vaxn8r, Jun 4, 2012

I think Nikon is very much aware of the desire for the mini D4. However they are just as aware of the loss of the D3/D3S sales that the D700 cost them. Whether they choose to go down that road again is uncertain at this time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads