Have you ever regretted traveling with FF ?

Started Jun 4, 2012 | Discussions
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,581Gear list
Like?
Have you ever regretted traveling with FF ?
Jun 4, 2012

Loving my new 5D3/24-105 but wondering if I really want to bring it to Germany for two weeks.

I am sure that I would miss it once there but I am worried that I will hate the bulk/weight.

I could bring my T2i and 17-55 but the high iso performance is not good on the T2i. Poor for interior shots.

Would I be crazy to leave the FF at home at get a G1-X?????

Not much interested in other brands ( might have considered a X Pro-1 if was a better overall camera).

So do you continue to travel with your 1/5Ds or have you given up on that?

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,129
Like?
My solution.....
In reply to DFPanno, Jun 4, 2012

I have the 5D 2 and Xsi (450D) and I use my full frame for more serious work and my Xsi for travel and muck about photography. In fact today, I took my Xsi and 28 - 135mm lens with me for a walk by the ocean.

My wife and I often do wine festivals staying for a few days and I often will take the Xsi and two or three lenses. I consider my Xsi my P&S.

If it were me going on your journey, I'd take the Xsi, my 28 - 135mm, my Canon 50mm f1.8 mk 1, and my Vivitar 19 - 35 lens.

Last night I was using my 5D 2 and the Sigma 150 f2.8 macro and the combo was heavy, not something I would want to lug around all day. When I let others try the camera out, their first comment was about weight.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Graham Meale
Contributing MemberPosts: 974Gear list
Like?
Re: Have you ever regretted traveling with FF ?

Always travel with FF. Began with 5DI, then II, now III. Usually take the 24-105 and a 70-300 (more recently the L). It all fits neatly in quite a small over-the-shoulder bag. (Years ago I bought the 70-200 f/2.8 IS and that was a mistake.)
--
http://www.grahammeale.info

Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,060Gear list
Like?
Not as much as travelling without it.

I went to Europe with a 60D last year, as it's newer technology than the 5D classic (and I didn't go for MkII). That got stolen in Paris, and I ended up shooting with a Lumix GF2 I'd taken as back up. How much better everything would have looked with the 60D, but even more with the 5D MkIII.

Occasionally I've travelled to placed where I didn't feel safe taking a large camera out in the streets (like Las Ramblas in Barcelona) so I shot a smaller format.

It's a little bit of inconvenience at the time (perhaps) versus years of wishing you'd used a better camera. Every single time I take the easy option shooting I regret it later.

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon PowerShot G1 X G1 X II Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,581Gear list
Like?
Re: Not as much as travelling without it.
In reply to GaryJP, Jun 4, 2012

Yeah; worried about that regret. It's not as though I'm in Germany every year.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Glenn NK
Contributing MemberPosts: 771Gear list
Like?

Haven't been to Europe, but I've flown and toured Hawaii twice and most of North America. I took both my 5DII and 30D plus all lenses (24-105, 17-55, 100 macro, 24TSE, 2.0 Ext, extension rings, the works including tripod and two heads. Don't forget filters, lens cleaner, dof charts, etc.

It's heavy, but why go and wish you'd brought something you left behind? Regrets can last forever, a sore arm a few days.

How about a backup body?
--
Glenn NK
Victoria, BC

RMoody
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to Glenn NK, Jun 4, 2012

In 2004 my wife did a driving trip of Central Eurpoe with my then 10D, lens & Gitzo 1228 tripod. Because we were driving not too much of a hassle. Got some good landscape shots, church interiors etc.

Last September we went to Italy but relied on trains/buses. I took my Nex 5 with the 18-200 lens and the 16 mm kit. Loved it. Total weight in one small over shoulder case is what, 3lbs? Carried a small very light tripod which handled the Nex 5 just great. No way would I have wanted my 5d II, lens, Gitzo etc. along for this trip plus all the other luggage.

If I'm on a dedicated photo trip for my interest which is landscape work my 5D II is coming. When travelling with my wife where photography is not the primary focus no way I'm carrying the 25 lbs of gear again.

With todays technology in the mirrorless cameras this is my choice. With photoshop the interior shots I took inside the Vatacan w/o a flash as prohibited were excellent. Easily blown up to 13x19 on my 3880. Did not miss my 5d II at all.

One individual's choice.

Enjoy your trip!

surrephoto
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?

After listening to complains by friends for years about heavy equipment for travel, I've noticed those who complain are the ones using the worst straps and bags.

Ergonomics are very important. For cameras and tripods, get the Optech weight reduction type straps, very comfortable. The original straps just don't help and keeping it mint & wrapped means better re-sale value.

For long days during travels avoid sling bags and stick with backpacks since 2 shoulders are better than 1. If the location is going to make you a robber magnet, I'd stick with the thinktank retrospective as I feel it's the most comfortable of all sling/shoulder bags I've tried.

Limit to a maximum of 3 lenses of which combined mass not more than 2.5 kgs. Currently I'm using 16-35, 35L & 85L and still don't feel much. A full-frame without a grip such as 5D or D700 will always be lighter and less of a robber magnet.

I'm asian and small so you can trust me. Maximizing comfort is the key, not FF.

Steve Grodin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,226
Like?
Wouldn't leave home with out it, (NT)
Jasper in SF
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?
No!

I even travel to conferences with my kit (paired down version). I'm traveling to the UK with my family soon, and plan a few early morning photo excursions, so will have a couple of filters and tripod....a quotation of debatable merit seems apt here -
"it is better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't..."

I have been building up my domestic credit, so can indulge in photography sans guilt!

Happy shooting and safe travels,

Jasper

-- hide signature --

'There is no un-suck filter.'

• David duChemin

Which is too bad, because I could sure use one.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasper_rubin/

Jasper in SF's gear list:Jasper in SF's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Bernard Carns
Contributing MemberPosts: 954
Like?
Yes! That's why I bought a m4/3 system.

I used to have all kinds of people come up to me and ask me questions when I travelled with my 5d2.

Now when I travel I take a GH2.

People think its a fancy point and shoot.

But just what works for me.

I just take the 5d2 when I'm on road trips to places like national parks.

BC

tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,049
Like?
think about this
In reply to rsn48, Jun 4, 2012

Just for a fun discussion . . . a low end camera will do studio work better than it will perform travel and street photography . . . because in a studio everything can be controlled . . . and in good lighting with a tripod, a G12 can come really close to a FF or larger.

So, sadly enough, I'd say you really need focus and the high ISO and the FPS because conditions are't under your control. While in studio work you shouldn't need any of these features to be top of the line. Single point focusing, ISO 200, and 1 FPS should be fine

I don't really see the weight as being an issue. Since I don't have a studio filled with beautiful people begging me to take their photos, the bulk of my photographic opportunities come from travel - and I want my best camera with me.

My 5d and 200MM F1.8 is heavy. The 5d and 70-300 L isn't. I suspect it's what you are used to.

tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,049
Like?
I agree
In reply to surrephoto, Jun 4, 2012

Sling straps. The right attachment point to your camera. A large and a small pack. Three lenses tops out and about.

I used to take a 7d with 10-22, 17-55, and 70-300. 10 to 300MM. You carry the camera slung over your shoulder. Two lenses tucked somewhere. Even in a bum pack in a pinch. A real photo backpack (I love my Lowe Flipside, comes in three sizes, smallest size works.) I've been on my feet for 12 hours day, and I refuse to tell you how old I am

Now I'm working out my new 5d setup, but shouldn't be much different in total weight.

I've noticed the people who complain most about are the people who naturally carry the most extra weight.

surrephoto wrote:

After listening to complains by friends for years about heavy equipment for travel, I've noticed those who complain are the ones using the worst straps and bags.

Ergonomics are very important. For cameras and tripods, get the Optech weight reduction type straps, very comfortable. The original straps just don't help and keeping it mint & wrapped means better re-sale value.

fredlord
Senior MemberPosts: 2,315
Like?
No…
In reply to Bernard Carns, Jun 4, 2012

I have traveled with a 1-Series in Europe and that resulted in the purchase of a 5D MK II as a travel camera. I didn't buy the optional battery grip because it weighs too much and is too bulky. I do use an L-bracket but that can be removed for travel. My most used lens on the 1-Series was the 16-35 which is the equivalent of 20.8-45.5mm. At times that lens wasn't wide enough so now I carry the 5D MK II along with the 16-35 and the 24-105. Both are light lenses so it's not a problem. No tripod but sometimes a monopod which brings back the L-bracket as well.

If it's a major photo trip then all bets are off and the equipment list is tailored to the trip requirements.

I also take a P&S for less serious times. As far as I'm concerned, any foreign trip requires packing high-quality equipment.
--
Fred Lord

GideonYST
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
Re: No…
In reply to fredlord, Jun 4, 2012

Just enjoy your gear....brought my Mark 4 with 24-105mm f4L IS uSM plus Sirui carbon fibre tripod to Japan & Europe recently. Used the best and most comfortable camera sling and you are good to go.

You will instantly forget about the weight on your neck when someone exclaimed that your photos are outstanding, excellence, OMG, and mistaken you as a 'professional photographer'....You could also see their dismay look on their faces when they compared theirs with yours....

So...just go for it and your trip would be blessedly wonderful....

Cheers!

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,784Gear list
Like?
Re: No…
In reply to GideonYST, Jun 4, 2012

I cycletour a lot and wouldn't dream of FF on it.

I've used Olympus E-3, Fuji 9500, Mamiya 6 in the film era, Olympus Is3000 in the film era, Minox 35 and other small cameras.

Now I use MFT, 2 Panasonic G1 bodies, both zooms and 20 f1.7. This is good enough.

Standard Zoom

20 f1.7

Tele zoom

This tele-zoom is poor at 400mm equivalent but good from 90-300mm equivalent. That'll do fine.
Total weight under three pounds.

Weakness. High iso, but the 20 f1.7 is very good for that.
Continuous AF. Useless. If there's sport involved it won't do.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony Alpha NEX-7 +27 more
Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?

DFPanno wrote:

Loving my new 5D3/24-105 but wondering if I really want to bring it to Germany for two weeks.

I am just coming back from Europe with my 5D2 and three lenses. The whole point of owning a dSLR for me is to take it with me when I travel.

I am sure that I would miss it once there but I am worried that I will hate the bulk/weight.

I could bring my T2i and 17-55 but the high iso performance is not good on the T2i. Poor for interior shots.

The 17-55 is about the same size and weight but the Rebel is smaller, of course.

IMO, it would be crazy to leave it home.

Marx81
Regular MemberPosts: 409Gear list
Like?

Get a light , cheap prime glass like 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 or 35mm f2 and leave the zoom home .

Marx81's gear list:Marx81's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
Marcus Antonius
Contributing MemberPosts: 999
Like?
briefly

Ofcourse i had moments the weight pulling on my shoulder made me think i should have travelled less heavy packed, especially at times it's starting to hurt. (have an old shoulder injury). I have been to NYC, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, London with DSLR's. But when checking out my pics when i return to my hotel and review the images i took, all pain is forgotten. I do leave the batterygrip at home because to me it doesn't justify the extra weight and expecially the larger dimensions of the camera.

I think what someone else has mentioned about using the right bag can save you alot of annoyance on your trip.

Safe trip and enjoy.

Marcus

DFPanno wrote:

Not much interested in other brands ( might have considered a X Pro-1 if was a better overall camera).

So do you continue to travel with your 1/5Ds or have you given up on that?

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

Simon Elwell
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marx81, Jun 4, 2012

Agree with those who say take the 5d. Think, though, about lenses. If you're city-bashing you probably won't need much reach. If anything, you may be trying to get enough angle...

I take the 24-70 as my main lens and sometimes pack the 135 just in case. When I'm travelling really light though I now have a new and very acceptable solution. My X100.

Simon Elwell's gear list:Simon Elwell's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads