snowshovel 1
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
cash in hand ready to roll
Jun 2, 2012

OK I know there have been pages written about-----noise
a camera mate of mine show me his a77 some time ago--he complained of noise
went over to chart with him said he learned how to handle the noise

I looked at a few 8 by 10's and they looked very good at 1600 iso and a bit higher as well

he claims that Gary F's book helped a lot-- what do you think is he telling the truth or as managed to get some big bucks excellent soft wear--the last ime I saw him he had lightroom 4

basicly he said don't worry about the noise ?? this guy travels and is away alot
he won't be back for several weeks I hope to jump into the sony game before that
I really want the micro lens Adj or I would by the a57 and love 3rd party lens
you folks have been very helpful please give me your best words of wisdom

PS my friend and I have been NIKON people for some number of years

Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
surfnet
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Re: cash in hand ready to roll
In reply to snowshovel 1, Jun 2, 2012

You should know your friend and why can't you believe him?

surfnet's gear list:surfnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A65
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
splashy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,253Gear list
Like?
In reply to surfnet, Jun 2, 2012

In fact don't worry to much about the noise, actually I think above Iso 3400 isn't good anyway, but MFRN helps a lot, if not Lightroom helps also and definitely the Friedman book does wonders if you want to understand the 65/77

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +1 more
Ed at Ridersite
Forum ProPosts: 14,961
Like?
In reply to snowshovel 1, Jun 2, 2012

A-77 +!
Lightroom 4 +1
Gary Friedman's A77 book +1

These three items are a great combination IMO. AF is dynamite, DR is the greatest in it's class, 25mp leaves loads of room to crop, in body image stabilization means all your primes are stabilized (as is everything else), 12fps, fully articulated LCD, over 300 lenses available for A-mount, class leading CZ lenses (if you've got the $) and, the noise complaints are essentially a red herring.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

snowshovel 1
Like?
In reply to Ed at Ridersite, Jun 3, 2012

thanks ED LOL pushing me off the fence into the sony camp sony now the a77 or the a65 ? as a side note when rice high or high rice ( I get the name mixed uo LOL)
was trashing sony I set him some questions he could not or refused to answer

any way I see none of the problems he claimed except the noise thing and i wonder if that is not over rated

OK help with model pick a65 smaller lighter right? a77 weather sealed metal body etc

thanks to all for the help

Ed at Ridersite
Like?
In reply to snowshovel 1, Jun 3, 2012

snowshovel 1 wrote:

any way I see none of the problems he claimed except the noise thing and i wonder if that is not over rated

OK help with model pick a65 smaller lighter right? a77 weather sealed metal body etc

Well, that's really a personal choice. I have the A-77, but generally use old Minolta lenses for wildlife shooting and family sorts of stuff. I don't think the A-77 is all that heavy and I came from the A-100. If you don't really need all the dials and options, I'd say get the A-65, but I've never used it.

As for the noise, it doesn't bother me in the least. I've posted these before. They are real life shots where high ISO was clearly necessary. They don't seem all that noisy to me. Shot RAW with the Minolta 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 (Big Beercan) and processed in LR4.

Eastern Chipmunk - ISO-1600
A77, f/8 @ 300 mm, 1/20, ISO 1600

Eastern Chipmunk - ISO-3200
A77, f/8 @ 300 mm, 1/50, ISO 3200

-- hide signature --

AEH

snowshovel 1
Like?
In reply to Ed at Ridersite, Jun 3, 2012

may you can coment I want to use 3rd party lens i think I need micro adj so as to avoid that problem what do you think??? your sampes are excellent perfectly natural color

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,364
Like?

snowshovel 1 wrote:

may you can coment I want to use 3rd party lens i think I need micro adj so as to avoid that problem what do you think??? your sampes are excellent perfectly natural color

As long as the third party lenses don't use an ID of another Sony/Minolta lens that you use (most often the case when they cover the same or similar focal length), it shouldn't be a problem.

surfnet
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?

With all the noise around here (you don't really know who is just blowing smoke), you should listen to your friend as you know he has first hand knowledge of his Sony camera and shares the same background with you (having Nikon).

Other than that, you should just read reputable reviews that actually compare various cameras (like, the one here at dpreview) and make your own mind. Thanks.

surfnet's gear list:surfnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A65
brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,393
Like?

one big draw i didnt see anyone mention was the minolta lenses 50mm1.7,the beercan..and many others that hold up or surpass alot of glass being produce today..at excellent second hand prices..fast macros fast primes some great lenses many with color reproduction thats phenominal out of the gate...with in body stabilization that does work nicely.if that doesnt mean much,then alot of the other camera companies have what you need also . anyway good luck and hopefully we will be seeing your images here.... and if you have have enough cash to roll some of the g-lenses and cz's should keep you in buisiness indefinitely. brian

snowshovel 1
Like?
In reply to brian14478, Jun 3, 2012

logic good info given thanks by all
my friend can be a bit ego-driven not all was giving if you know waht I mean
you all have removed lots of dark shadows from my mind
now I need to get my act together and make a move

snowshovel 1
Like?
Re: cash in hand ready to roll---- sold me a65 or a77

OK OK and thanks for your help Iam sure I will be needing you folks again in tips and advice
so now a65 with up grade lens or a77 note I have NO use of short kit lens
here in colorado things are a bit distant

also any owner useing the tammy 18mm to 270mm ? back in the day my favorite lens was a 135mm now I see sony has an 18mm to 135mm any one useing that lens on an slt???? a little more add vice is needed please the camera is a long way form my nikon gear
I don't want to screw up

Ed at Ridersite
Like?
Re: cash in hand ready to roll---- sold me a65 or a77

snowshovel 1 wrote:

also any owner useing the tammy 18mm to 270mm ? back in the day my favorite lens was a 135mm now I see sony has an 18mm to 135mm any one useing that lens on an slt????

The 18-135mm isn't due out until July - July 19th according to B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/859419-REG/Sony_18_135_mm.html

There are a few images here taken with the A-37:

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6501_7-10012314-1.html

and a mini review here - she says it isn't very sharp.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/sony-alpha-slt-a37/4505-6501_7-35299056.html

-- hide signature --

AEH

Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,731
Like?

snowshovel 1 wrote:
If you can afford it go for the A77.

If you are going to buy one or the other anyway get Gary Freedman's book and this tells you all the differences. It is much more than weather sealing that makes the camera worth the extra to me.

Twin control dials, the AF-A/DMF setting and so on. Some of these differences look minor (such as the AF-A/DMF one) to the uninitiated but they make a big difference to me.

Torch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,978
Like?
Re: Wow ! So dramatic !

Maybe you need to video record your purchase.

Just remember all of this can backfire if you do not use the camera with the same love expression just released here.
--

Torch

snowshovel 1
Like?
In reply to surfnet, Jun 3, 2012

I just chatted with my old nikon buddy he called long distance --he told me something interesting--you folks might have heard this he claims to have been told the many of the noisey shots found on line were deliberately under exposed? what do you think??? I will try to down load a coupele and see from my self

EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,537Gear list
Like?

If you have cash in hand and are ready to make an A77 purchase you dont need quite as much cash now as they just dropped the price by 50 dollars
--
Bill
Capturing memories, one at a time.

Visit my Smug Mug Galleries at:
http://evil-twin.smugmug.com/

winedarksea
Senior MemberPosts: 1,638
Like?
In reply to snowshovel 1, Jun 4, 2012

Don't worry about noise; every camera has it, including my A700, which takes great pictures, even in high-iso conditions. If it's there, use it artistically, or get rid of it with your software. But in most cases it won't be truly noticeable. It represents a compromise, in any case, and the resulting sensor is, as DXo has said, a truly amazing sensor. Go for it; by almost all reports, the A77 is a great camera.
--
Dulaney

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads