GPS for Nikon D800

Started Jun 2, 2012 | Discussions
ppronovo
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
GPS for Nikon D800
Jun 2, 2012

Does anyone have a recommendation for an external GPS device to attach to the D800? I haven't heard great things about Nkon's GP-1.

I'm heading to Alaska later this month where I thought it would be useful. Given the latitude there, and most satellites are in the south, does anyway know how well GPS performs there?

Thanks

ppronovo's gear list:ppronovo's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
afoton
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
Re: GPS for Nikon D800
In reply to ppronovo, Jun 2, 2012

I have used a Solmeta N2 and a Aokatec AK-4N bluetooth adapter. The Solmeta doesn't work very well because a bad connection in the interchangable data cable. The Aokatec has never let me down. I use a Holux for pairing with the bluetooth adapter.

Both of these, and a Garmin has been used north of 80 degree without any issue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
josephlck1
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to ppronovo, Jun 2, 2012

Do you have a smart phone? You can try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp1KCkItmf4&feature=plcp

EDIT: ups. Just noticed the Alaska bit. Your phone might not do that well... But anything that can export GPS data should work fine.

beshannon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?
In reply to ppronovo, Jun 5, 2012

ppronovo wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an external GPS device to attach to the D800? I haven't heard great things about Nkon's GP-1.

Not sure what or where you have "heard" things about the GP1 but I like mine alot.\

I have never had any issues on any of my camera bodies.

beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +5 more
Harry Sinniah
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
In reply to beshannon, Jun 5, 2012

This is a long discussion on this in the D800-D4 forum, Its reallt a mized bag, there are a lot of options based on what you need... some of the questions to answer are..

1. Do you need to used the Horse shoe.
2. Does it have to be compact.
3. Is battery drain a issue for you
4. Do you intend to also use your cell phone
5. Would you prefer a GPS logger.
6. what kind of peformance do you want indoors.

7. Do you want GPS data to be written into NEF/JPG or doing mind doing some post processing to get data into the file..

So based on your responses to all the above question, you can pick one. I did a bit of research & have picked the AK-N1-II with a Qstar 1000Xt GPS logger (I already own this).

Its a small , elegent and resonable priced solution with no wiires, It may involve a little bit of shaving the AK-N1-II but thats acceptable as it dosen;t void any warranty...

Harry Sinniah's gear list:Harry Sinniah's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
jetblast
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to Harry Sinniah, Jun 24, 2012

You should have a look at this.....

http://www.foolography.com/products/unleashed/

Just a satisfied customer

Regards

mremonen
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
In reply to jetblast, Jun 27, 2012

jetblast wrote:

You should have a look at this.....

http://www.foolography.com/products/unleashed/

Except that it does not fit to D800... found that the hard way...

mremonen's gear list:mremonen's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,796
Like?
In reply to ppronovo, Jun 27, 2012

BlueSLR looks very nice.
http://usd.blueslr.com/

Post below about use with D800.
http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=5714

Thank you
Russell

mremonen
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
In reply to mremonen, Jun 28, 2012

Managed to fit it to D800. Will take photos which will be posted to the manufacturer's site (blog). They will introduce new version during fall which will fit D800 without modifications.

mremonen's gear list:mremonen's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
Captain Hook
Senior MemberPosts: 1,127
Like?
In reply to ppronovo, Jun 29, 2012

Read my solution:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=41693316

It works for me, and not expensive!

Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,373
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Jul 4, 2012

None of the web links to blueslr seem to be working. Anybody know if the company is still trading?
App is still on the app store, but that doesn't mean too much.
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

Al Gooding
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
In reply to ppronovo, Aug 12, 2012

I have had great luck with nGPS on my D200. It also comes with cables to fit the D800. Link is http://cbgps.com/ngps/ngps_page_en.htm . Got mine used on fleabay, would buy new without thinking twice.

Al Gooding's gear list:Al Gooding's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
GV56
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to ppronovo, 11 months ago

I researched this issue for my D800E. A recommendation that I saw posted several times on various sites was the combination of the Holux GPS locator and the Aokatec 4NIII receiver that fits on the Nikon 10 pin connector by the lens. I used this on a recent trip to Italy and I have serious criticisms of this combination. The unit was very inconsistent in connecting to a satellite, even within the same general area. Sometimes it would connect fairly quickly (1 minute or so). At times it wouldn't connect at all and often I would turn it on, get no connection and then find that it had connected well into the shoot.

The second major issue is that battery life is limited. Four days into the shoot, the low battery warning turned on. The lithium ion battery that is included (Model: HX-N3650A) is  not rechargeable and expensive. (on the website batteryupgrade.com it lists for ~$28). I also had no luck finding a rechargeable battery. So consider just how expensive it is to use this unit. Ridiculous!

So that's the bad news. The good news is that I think I've found an excellent solution in the Solmeta Geotagger N3. The unit works off the Nikon battery and supposedly (based on web research) is not a significant additional drain. It's powered through the 10 pin connector by the lens, so there's no cable interferance that occurs with units that plug into the connectors on the side of the camera body and preclude rapid tripod switches from landscape to portrait orientation. The receiver/transmitter unit can be fitted onto the hot shoe or on the camera strap, etc. It's feather weight. It consistently and quickly picks up a satellite signal. It also has an "indoor" feature, which means that if you're shooting outside and then go inside, it will retain the prior geotag info.

I think this may be a very good solution and I hope these comments are helpful.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads