D5100 flip up LCD

Started Jun 1, 2012 | Discussions
Iain G Foulds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,003
Like?
D5100 flip up LCD
Jun 1, 2012

... Just hoping to start a groundswell to encourage Nikon to never produce another camera with the fold-out screen.

... My previous cameras were the Fuji HS series with the flip-up screen, which was excellent. Everything was more naturally centred, and mechanically much stronger.

... There is no value to the fold-out screen. Just hoping there will never be another.

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Shakens
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
Re: D5100 flip up LCD
In reply to Iain G Foulds, Jun 1, 2012

some find it of use
--
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Nikon D5100...Canon SX230HS...Panasonic FZ48/TZ6
Hi from England

Shakens's gear list:Shakens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LJohnK2
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
Re: Sorry but your objection seems

...well rather trivial....what is not to like about a flip out LCD ?....if you don't like using it flip it over and leave it.

Personally, I think its great....I have two D5100 and loved the flip out LCD on my old Olympus bodies.

....get shots that wouldn't be able to get with a fixed screen....maybe with an EVF on a micro 4/3rds.

-- hide signature --

LJohnK

LJohnK2's gear list:LJohnK2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W50 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Iain G Foulds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,003
Like?
In reply to LJohnK2, Jun 1, 2012

... LJohn: Don't like the fixed screen myself. It is much more comfortable and steady to be able to hold the camera at chest height.

... However, the centred flip-out screen is just much better. The flip out screen to the side, at an odd angle throws off one's natural aim. It just makes no sense.
... If you come across a Fuji HS series, give it a try.

Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,440
Like?

LJohnK2 wrote:

...well rather trivial....what is not to like about a flip out LCD ?....if you don't like using it flip it over and leave it.

Personally, I think its great....I have two D5100 and loved the flip out LCD on my old Olympus bodies.

My antique Minolta DiMAGE A1 has a very nice fold out LCD (& viewfinder, too):

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

LJohnK2
Like?
Re: Patco..thats a thing of beauty....
In reply to Patco, Jun 1, 2012

seems that functionality has gone backwards in the ever persistent lust for more megapixels.

Cheers;
--
LJohnK

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W50 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
LJohnK2
Like?
Re: Iain...did you ever try

..the D5000....was widely criticized but i personally had no huge issues with it...the side flip out thing took some adjustment back in 2008 when I first used one on my Oly E-30, but since then I absolutely have no problem.

Cheers
--
LJohnK

Phillip S
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
Re: Iain...did you ever try

I'm not sure that I understand the post here. One of the things that I really like about the D5100 is the way one can maneuver and move the screen to suit one's needs. I wish every Nikon had this feature. It beats my old film SLR's and the D300 in that regard.

LJohnK2
Like?
Re:Agreed Philip, but look at the photo
In reply to Phillip S, Jun 1, 2012

...below....I think the EVF and LCD combo actually beats the D5100 LCD.

Cheers
--
LJohnK

Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,440
Like?
Re: Patco..thats a thing of beauty....

LJohnK2 wrote:

seems that functionality has gone backwards in the ever persistent lust for more megapixels.

Thanks - I like it a lot! It's one of my oldies I just can't get rid of
It has all the buttons & dials one could want, and a great manual zoom lens.
The vertical grip is better than most others, too, with a built-in hand strap:

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Shell Lover
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?

I completely agree. For a short time, I lived with an older Sony dslr...the a300...which had a screen that would pivot out from the body either up or down, but not to the side. I found it a joy to use. The manner in which it moved did keep everything centered and in-line with the camera's body. Using that screen while working off of a tripod was a real pleasure, and definitely kept things easy on the back.

Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,385Gear list
Like?

Iain G Foulds wrote:

There is no value to the fold-out screen.

There most certainly is. I recently sold a guitar to a professional architecture photographer, and asked him what camera he used.

His main camera was a Canon DSLR (don't know which) but he said whenever he could get away with it, he used a compact with a swivel screen because it gave him so many more options.

I use the D5100 screen lots, despite the slow AF, for shooting from low down. I want Nikon to bring out better cameras with this feature. My D700 would be perfect with one.

As for the screen folding out to the side, I like it much better than the D5000's central screen.

-- hide signature --

Rens

There are optimists and there are realists

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +3 more
Pedro Vera
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
In reply to Rens, Jun 1, 2012

I really love the fold out screen, but it is annoying whenever I want to shoot from a low position. It would be nice if Nikon would spend a little bit more thought on the design of the swing arm to add an in-axis tilt.

Shakens
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pedro Vera, Jun 2, 2012

people moan about the silliest things
if you don't like the d5100s flip screen dont buy one
--
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Nikon D5100...Canon SX230HS...Panasonic FZ48/TZ6
Hi from England

Shakens's gear list:Shakens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +7 more
Rens
Like?
Why agitate over this anyway?
In reply to Iain G Foulds, Jun 2, 2012

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... Just hoping to start a groundswell to encourage Nikon to never produce another camera with the fold-out screen.

This irritates me enough to post again.

Why are you hoping to start a groundswell against swivel screens? If you don't like it, just leave it folded in face out. Or face in to protect it. Like this it's not in the way and not in the least vulnerable. Or buy a different camera, there are plenty to choose from.

So why do you care enough to post this? Do you think it's an amateur feature? The only photogrophers who are worried whether their cameras seem amateur are amateurs.

It's like the ranting against video of a year or so back. I have no interest in video, never use it. But I don't care if my camera has it, never felt the need to complain.

If you want to limit your photography by not using the screen, so be it. But agitating to cancel a feature that others find valuable is dog in a manger perverse.

-- hide signature --

Rens

MichaelEchos
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... My previous cameras were the Fuji HS series with the flip-up screen, which was excellent. Everything was more naturally centred, and mechanically much stronger.

... There is no value to the fold-out screen. Just hoping there will never be another.

I like a flip out screen. If it is possible to create a body with flip out screen without compromising it's build quality, I'd happily buy it. Moreover, if you don't like it, you don't have to use it or buy it.

Rens
Like?
Sony screen
In reply to Shell Lover, Jun 2, 2012

Shell Lover wrote:

I completely agree. For a short time, I lived with an older Sony dslr...the a300...which had a screen that would pivot out from the body either up or down, but not to the side. I found it a joy to use. The manner in which it moved did keep everything centered and in-line with the camera's body. Using that screen while working off of a tripod was a real pleasure, and definitely kept things easy on the back.

Did this allow low shots in portrait mode? Current Sony's don't, and I would find this a severe limitation.

-- hide signature --

Rens

Jezzualdo
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?

I recently bought a D5100.

At 46% of the D7000 price for identical IQ, I also thought I preferred it's much lighter weight, in camera HDR and flip out screen. Positives which I didn't think were outweighed by a far superior viewfinder, better controls, AF on old lenses, better software (plus weather proffing and better AF focus, not important to me).

After a little experience, I don't care for the flip out screen at all.

A positive is it is protected, which I like.

However, as the D5100 requires access to the menu's for some pretty basic functions (ie there don't seem to be enough external buttons to let you adjust both ISO and metering method manually) the fact you have to open it out to access this is quite irritating.

Also it precludes using it normally as a waist level finder. It also makes it less possible to use your knee as a tripod and still frame the picture accurately without contortions, especially while shielding the screen from sunlight.

However, the most useless thing about it is that in live view it doesn't show the "rangefinder" foucs indication when using manual focus lenses... as it happens I'm a "viewfinder" shooter so this is not a deal breaker for me, but as I bought the camera to use "legacy" lenses I can see it could irritate some.

And as I've very recently relented to use the LCD screen on my bridge and pocket cameras for framing macro images, and found it a better way, that possibility is ruled out both by the absence of focus indication (of course it's nothing to do with the fact it swivels ) on the LCD, AND the side hinge.

Having said all that, the IQ of the D5100 is stunningly good. And I expect there are workarounds for my other issues.

Writing this post has made me think one way forward might be to just leave the screen fixed lcd screen side out, and just fit a screen protector.

Jezzualdo's gear list:Jezzualdo's gear list
Nikon D5100
2005magnum
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,473
Like?

"No value to a fold out screen"

There is an actual value to a fold out screen. It is about $1000-$1500 per month. I shoot part time. My shoots are residential vacation rental properties. I would have a very difficult time shooting in tight spaces without the articulating screen (and my spirit level). Actually, I was hoping that Nikon might consider increasing the resolution and size of the articulating LCD and placing it in one or more of their upper end bodies, but I know that will probably not happen.

If you do not like the articulating LCD, just leave it flat on the back of the camera.
--
http://digitalphotonut.zenfolio.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61931648@N02/?saved=1

MotoDave
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?

".. Just hoping to start a groundswell to encourage Nikon to never produce another camera with the fold-out screen. "

I'd like to start a groundswell to encourage Nikon to put fold out screens on ALL of their cameras!

I was financially prepared to buy a D7000 but bought the 5100 instead just for the screen, had the 7K had it, Nikon would have got more of my money.

I'm primarily a landscape/nature shooter, and while I prefer to use the viewfinder most of the time, there are shots where the angle requires live view. I've never understood the attitude that a swivel screen somehow makes a camera seem cheap or non professional, it's simply a tool to help get the best shot. What DOES amaze me is that photogs that have spent hundreds or thousands more than I did have to lay on their belly in the mud, or sit in a creek, or completely guess on their framing on shots that I simply fold out a screen and bend over. Who has the better tool now?

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads