Minolta lenses

Started May 31, 2012 | Discussions
foggy
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
Minolta lenses
May 31, 2012

Hi,

This is a dumb question from a Canon shooter I teach basic photography to people just starting out. So some are young and short on cash. I had a gentleman offer up his Minolta 7000I system including two Minolta AF lenses. Are the lenses of that time compatible with Sony mount cameras today and if so is there a loss of functions..?

My thought is if the lenses were usable the student would only have to worry about a body and memory to start out
Thanks

Foggy

mick232
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
Re: Minolta lenses
In reply to foggy, May 31, 2012

Yes, the lenses used on Minolta AF bodies are compatible with Sony Alpha bodies (with a few exceptions like some Sigma lenses).

mick232's gear list:mick232's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JerryCurtis
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,978Gear list
Like?
I even have an old Sigma (for Minolta)
In reply to mick232, Jun 1, 2012

24mm f/2.8 Macro, which a camera club buddy wanted to give me - but I paid him $50 for it after testing it. It sounded a bit rough on the focusing, but the glass is flawless and it works perfectly on my A350 body.
--
Jerry
Sony V1, H5 and A350... Still learning...

'The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.'
-- Dorothea Lange

http://www.pbase.com/icicle50/root

JerryCurtis's gear list:JerryCurtis's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +9 more
dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,878
Like?

The Sigma problem seems to apply mostly to incompatibility with the new Sony SLT models, while the OVF models haven't had a problem. The only exception to this was certain large Sigma telephotos with plastic focusing grears have had gears stripped using the higher focus speed on the A700.

Note, all this applies to Minolta Autofocus lenses. The older MD manual focus lenses are not compatible without an adapter which contains a glass element to allow focusing to infinity and degrades quality.
--
Dave

cyainparadise
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577
Like?
In reply to dlkeller, Jun 1, 2012

dlkeller wrote:

The Sigma problem seems to apply mostly to incompatibility with the new Sony SLT models, while the OVF models haven't had a problem. The only exception to this was certain large Sigma telephotos with plastic focusing grears have had gears stripped using the higher focus speed on the A700.

I had an early Sigma 16mm fisheye that worked on my Minolta 7000, but not my Maxxum 9. Sigma has had compatibility problems long before the Sony SLTs.

Edward Sargent
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,156Gear list
Like?
  • The older lenses will not have coatings on them that were developed for digital but I have several and have seen no issues.

• The older lenses will not have distance integration, but that is only a problem when taking flash photos with a reflective background.

• The older lenses will be screwdriver type focus, slower and noisier

• Sigma lens compatibility issues are with the first generation of SLT bodies (A33, A35, A55). I have three Sigmas I use on my A77 with no issues, admittedly they are post film days lenses.

-- hide signature --

Sarge

A77, A700 8mm Bower, 50mm 1.7, 35-70 F4, 90mm Tamron, 18-250 Sigma, 70-200 Sigma & 50-500 Bigma
Fisheye photos at http://sony-snapper.com/Fish-Eye/index.html
Toys - Asus Transformer Android 4.0.3 tablet

• Colorspace UDMA 500 gb

Albums at http://www.sony-snapper.com

Edward Sargent's gear list:Edward Sargent's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +28 more
jayceeart
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
In reply to foggy, Jun 6, 2012

The 7000i was released in about 1988/89. The minolta lenses that came with them are very good qualiy. I have recently been given an a77 and all my old lens fit it as they do my 9xi etc. Everything works...auto manual etc.

Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,176Gear list
Like?
In reply to jayceeart, Jun 6, 2012

It's not just the SLTs that might have Sigma problems - the a700, a850 and a900 had some issues and maybe even as far back as the Konica-Minolta 7D. Sigma would re-chip lenses for free at the time but I guess not any more.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 +1 more
foggy
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Jun 6, 2012

Thanks for everybody's imput..! that helps alot.

Foggy

dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,878
Like?
In reply to Edward Sargent, Jun 7, 2012

Screw drive does ot necessarily mean slower focusing. Varies from lens to lens. In lens focusing is certainly quieter although I never minded the sound of the lens focusing it can be poor in video usage.
--
Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads