tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,799Gear list
Like?
See Marla....
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, Jun 1, 2012

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Marla2008 wrote:
have any result whatsoever (I should know, I've done both).

Or, you can let your nerves get the better of you and start insulting the crap out of them... Hmm... that'd be sweet

Don't do that Marla, that would be what we call, "taking the bait".

Even Timmy knows better than to do that.

. . . I've hurled plenty of carefully worded insults here and haven't been banned since 2007 and the troll who caused me to get myself banned back in '07 is now himself permanently banned.

that is the key, "carefully worded insults".

With practice, it becomes second nature.

TEdolph, RIP

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 27,829
Like?
Re: Victim....
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, Jun 1, 2012

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

. . . I've hurled plenty of carefully worded insults here and haven't been banned since 2007

Sure, but the people you insult are not the ones of whom the insulting will get you banned. I would be pretty sure most bans happen on forums 1012 and 1022 - both inhabited by the most noxious kind of fanboy with itchy 'C' button fingers and have highly partisan mods. Usually the people banned on those are the ones challenging the fanboy cliques. Since you don't do that, you won't get banned, and there are relatively few bans elsewhere.
--
Bob

Richard Lueck
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
Re: Who is the moderator of this forum ?
In reply to Detail Man, Jun 1, 2012

Colonel Kurz, is that you?

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
Re: Ahah, Ryan, great video, Thank you :) (no text)
In reply to ryan2007, Jun 1, 2012

ryan2007 wrote:

Its the same Wizard from the Wizard of Oz. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Go away and come back tomorrow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZR64EF3OpA

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Who is the moderator of this forum ?

If there is any ...

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,284Gear list
Like?
Re: PMs can be useful, or simply another vector for attacks
In reply to bobn2, Jun 2, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

I once pm'd a regular adversary with a genuine request for some technical information I though he might have.

You state "adversary" there. Maybe that's a clue as to how to set your expectations.

You know who I mean,

I could guess, but there are a great many people with whom you actively pursue an adversarial relationship.

and 'adversary' is an accurate description of the relationship. I could point out that I am not the only person with whom he is adversarial, far from it. Entertainment value, though/

He later posted my pm on a forum as evidence of my technical ignorance.

Well, your claim to relevance is your technical competence, isn't it?

I make no claim to relevance. People take what I say and find it relevant or not, that is up to them.

Oh, come on Bob. That's a very po-faced claim in light of how you behave toward people. You clearly like to portray yourself as a technical expert on everything.

If you devote a lot of time and posts to asserting that other people are ignorant

Ignorance of this or that is a condition caused by lack of knowledge. Lack of knowledge is not a crime, it happens to all of us. However, to deliberately pursue lack of knowledge is stupidity in my book.

or stupid etc.

ah, that. I rarely, very rarely call people stupid. Only when they are stupid, and obnoxiously aggressively so, enough to deserve being called it in the open. And, if the hat fits...

Such as by writing obnoxious and aggressive posts in stead of addressing pertinent points raised?

How are you coming along with that task of clarifying usage of "135 format DOF equivalent relative aperture"? It falls within your stated "mission".

then it shouldn't surprise you if someone -- described as an "adversary" -- uses your disclosure of technical incompetence against you.

It did not surprise me at all. I was expecting it. It made him look stupid, as it happened. I'm not afraid or ashamed of asking people things that I don't know. By his action, he obviously is.

That doesn't logically follow. It seems more likely he was exposing your apparent hypocrisy.

You can only control your own responses and make your own ethical decisions.

Sorry, a serial liar such as yourself is in no position to lecture on ethics (and no that is not an insult, just a matter of fact, as has been shown repeatedly)

So you keep claiming, referring always to some past "proofs" of this -- apparently Joe's absurd quote-mining and context-twisting are the "proof".

Each repeated claim makes you a liar, Bob. (Unless you genuinely believe distortions to be evidence of lying; in which case you'd be stupid. I don't believe that you're stupid, however, so that leaves me with dishonest and malicious as the most likely explanations.)

So we have, on the one hand, your claimed "mission" which is shared with other self-described "educators". Then we have on the other hand the facts of your posts and your choice of behaviour shown in them, as illustrated here.

Your responses show your ethics.

(And no, I'm not terribly sympathetic to your presented "case". Those who live by the sword, Bob.)

I wasn't looking for sympathy, merely telling the anecdote to show the stupidity of this man's ilk.

That claim doesn't seem to fit with the post you were responding to. You appear to have been writing about your own tale of "victimisation".

As I said: those who live by the sword...

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,284Gear list
Like?
Your last sock-puppet got banned on 1022, as well /nt
In reply to bobn2, Jun 2, 2012

no text

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,950
Like?
Doctor Detailia Recommends ...
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Jun 2, 2012

Administration may rely on an injectable form of the drug rather than tablets. The injection could be of a long-lasting type known as a depot injection, usually applied at the top of the buttocks every 2–4 weeks .

Please choose from the pharmacopia of possibilities here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipsychotic

bobn2
Like?
Re: PMs can be useful, or simply another vector for attacks
In reply to boggis the cat, Jun 2, 2012

bogus the black knight wrote:

You know who I mean,

I could guess, but there are a great many people with whom you actively pursue an adversarial relationship.

There are several with whom I have long term technical disputes. Generally they are those who insist on using these forums to spread misinformation. The only ones who see it as 'adversarial' are the ones who take as such any disagreement from their view of the world. There are also the ones who believe being told that they are wrong is abuse. And of course there are the few downright serial liars, like yourself.

I make no claim to relevance. People take what I say and find it relevant or not, that is up to them.

Oh, come on Bob. That's a very po-faced claim in light of how you behave toward people. You clearly like to portray yourself as a technical expert on everything.

If I liked to portray myself as a technical expert, I would come on here brandishing my CV. I don't. I just say what I know, when I know it. Just because I know a lot more than you doesn't mean I 'portray myself as a technical expert' . In that case almost everybody on these forums could be accused of portraying themselves as an expert.

And, if the hat fits...

Such as by writing obnoxious and aggressive posts in stead of addressing pertinent points raised?

Yes, it fits you exactly like that. You are getting it back, bogus, because your whole intervention in this thread and most threads fits exactly into that category.

How are you coming along with that task of clarifying usage of "135 format DOF equivalent relative aperture"?

Trying to reclarify what you purposely obfuscate at your demand is a fool's errand. The equivalence of f-numbers between formats with respect to DOF, photon noise and diffraction blur is well understood by people with an elementary understanding of optics and any working photographer bright enough to ponder a little on what they do. It has been 'clarified', with practical examples very frequently. No further clarification is needed, because the deniers do so because that is what they choose to do . Wilful ignorance is not rectified by 'clarification'.

I'm not afraid or ashamed of asking people things that I don't know. By his action, he obviously is.

That doesn't logically follow. It seems more likely he was exposing your apparent hypocrisy.

There is no hypocrisy in asking someone who might have knowledge something that you don't know. I asked him the distance that a Four Thirds lens may protrude into the mount. He has plenty of these lenses, it is something he might have known. So, lack of information, which is what I had, is not an indication of expertise at all. Believing that you 'expose' someone's incompetence by showing that they are willing to ask something that they don't know reveals an attitude that it is shameful to ask for information.

(and no that is not an insult, just a matter of fact, as has been shown repeatedly)

So you keep claiming, referring always to some past "proofs" of this -- apparently Joe's absurd quote-mining and context-twisting are the "proof".

Since it is the evidence that you are what you are, of course you try to discredit it. Those quotes show you repeatedly claiming others said what they did not say, claiming that you did not say what you did say, and refusing to correct yourself when it is pointed out. Over and over again. That makes you a serial liar, however much you choose to lie about it being 'context-twisting'. There is no twisting of context. Those quotes show you lying, repeatedy. That is, by the way, how liars are caught. Quotes are 'mined' and found to be at variance with the truth. Then the only question is intention, which is covered by your refusal to correct the lies when they are caught.

Each repeated claim makes you a liar, Bob. (Unless you genuinely believe distortions to be evidence of lying; in which case you'd be stupid. I don't believe that you're stupid, however, so that leaves me with dishonest and malicious as the most likely explanations.)

It makes me to be telling the truth, and you still to be the liar. Serial liars always end up lying about the evidence that showed the to be lying and the truthfulness of the people who discover them lying. If the untruth was a genuine mistake, honest people just say 'sorry, I was wrong'. Liars such as yourself just pile on the lies. That is what most court proceedings are about, with the felon insisting everybody but themselves is a liar.

So we have, on the one hand, your claimed "mission" which is shared with other self-described "educators". Then we have on the other hand the facts of your posts and your choice of behaviour shown in them, as illustrated here.

My choice of behaviour is to show no mercy to those who do not deserve it. Serial and intentional liars and misinformers such as yourself.

Your responses show your ethics.

An indication of my ethical position is that I don't back off calling a liar a liar simply because he attacks me and tries to play to the crowd.

(And no, I'm not terribly sympathetic to your presented "case". Those who live by the sword, Bob.)

I wasn't looking for sympathy, merely telling the anecdote to show the stupidity of this man's ilk.

That claim doesn't seem to fit with the post you were responding to. You appear to have been writing about your own tale of "victimisation".

Putting the word 'victimisation' in double quotes clearly indicates it to be a literal quote from me. Nowhere in the post did I use the word or claim to be victimised. You've been caught lying again .

In any case, that is your own interpretation, and reveals your 'thought' processes, not mine. I do not need or go after sympathy. It was just to me an amusing account of what a tosser he is, and you are to.

As I said: those who live by the sword...

Yes, indeed. Your arms and legs were off some time ago.
--
Bob

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Facebook "block" v DPR "ignore"

I'd like to see "ignore" work like Facebook "block". The ignorer cannot see the ignoree's posts, and vice versa. This can be slightly annoying for both parties, but that's good . It discourages people from being over sensitive and / or winding each other up. I have no doubt I am on many ignore lists (and have the hate mails to prove it), but I never ignore anyone.

This spares the rest of us from having to watch stupid, repetitive, information-free snarling matches between individuals who just don't like each other.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
Re: Facebook "block" v DPR "ignore"
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Jun 2, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I'd like to see "ignore" work like Facebook "block". The ignorer cannot see the ignoree's posts, and vice versa. This can be slightly annoying for both parties, but that's good . It discourages people from being over sensitive and / or winding each other up. I have no doubt I am on many ignore lists (and have the hate mails to prove it), but I never ignore anyone.

Blimey, you seriously get hate mails? That must be very, very rare.

This spares the rest of us from having to watch stupid, repetitive, information-free snarling matches between individuals who just don't like each other.

Too many words, not enough pictures... It's really nice to see people using the kit around the world.

Cheers

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to Brian Mosley, Jun 2, 2012

I get a huge amount of IM stuff, and one of this morning's jobs is to catch up with it. Some of it could be described as fan, and some as hate, and yes, I find it... surprising.

Brian Mosley wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Too many words, not enough pictures... It's really nice to see people using the kit around the world.

Cheers

Brian
--

Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 21,954
Like?
It's because you're beautiful, Louis

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I get a huge amount of IM stuff, and one of this morning's jobs is to catch up with it. Some of it could be described as fan, and some as hate, and yes, I find it... surprising.

Wear it as a badge of honor, you sexy thing, you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8ul-gmLyA

muddyfunster
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Brian Mosley wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Cheers

Brian
--

time to get your swag on
--
the night is dark.....and full of terriers

muddyfunster
Like?
Re: It's because you're beautiful, Louis
In reply to Great Bustard, Jun 2, 2012

Great Bustard wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Wear it as a badge of honor, you sexy thing, you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8ul-gmLyA

which part of your mind did you dig that from, i can't remember the 80's yet alone a commercial from it......actually.....no it's gone again
--

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to muddyfunster, Jun 2, 2012

It's amazing to me that one person would mail another to say they don't like them. I mean, why bother? Mailing them to say you like their posts is fair enough, although I'd never bother myself, but "Hi you don't know me, but I don't like you because I find your posts arrogant / wrong / whatever" - what on earth does anyone think that is going to achieve? I simply point out the existence of the "ignore" function.

Anyway, always makes me laugh.

It has made me change my behaviour in one way though - apparently my comment that I can buy any camera I feel like gives the impression I'm boasting of my wealth, so now I make it clear I can buy any camera I like because I don't buy anything else .

muddyfunster wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Brian Mosley wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Cheers

Brian
--

time to get your swag on
--

bobn2
Like?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

It's amazing to me that one person would mail another to say they don't like them. I mean, why bother?

Remember that the spread of these forums is very, very broad. From that demographic, there are bound to be a few who are downright mad. Mailing people to say you don't like them is simply an attempt to bully, to undermine someone else's self esteem by suggesting they are unpopular.
--
Bob

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,062Gear list
Like?
Moderation is coming....

it's in the pipeline and DPR are making moves to put it in place, hopefully it will improve the forums and end the bickering.
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
muddyfunster
Like?
Bickering?
In reply to papillon_65, Jun 2, 2012

papillon_65 wrote:

it's in the pipeline and DPR are making moves to put it in place, hopefully it will improve the forums and end the bickering.
--
Tony

isn't that in North Yorkshire?
--

muddyfunster
Like?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

It's amazing to me that one person would mail another to say they don't like them. I mean, why bother? Mailing them to say you like their posts is fair enough, although I'd never bother myself, but "Hi you don't know me, but I don't like you because I find your posts arrogant / wrong / whatever" - what on earth does anyone think that is going to achieve? I simply point out the existence of the "ignore" function.

Anyway, always makes me laugh.

It has made me change my behaviour in one way though - apparently my comment that I can buy any camera I feel like gives the impression I'm boasting of my wealth, so now I make it clear I can buy any camera I like because I don't buy anything else .

people have actually got upset how you spend your money?

-- hide signature --

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,062Gear list
Like?
Re: Bickering?
In reply to muddyfunster, Jun 2, 2012

muddyfunster wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

--
Tony

isn't that in North Yorkshire?

Actually it's in West Yorkshire

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bickering+Wood,+Darrington,+Wakefield+District&hl=en&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=7.517146,19.511719&oq=bickering+wood&hnear=Bickering+Wood&t=m&z=15&iwloc=A

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Tony

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads