Magical IQ of 5D classic

Started May 31, 2012 | Discussions
Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
Magical IQ of 5D classic
May 31, 2012

Many believe 5D classic has a "magical" IQ unmatched even by its own successors (but possibly shared with 1Ds Mark II). Can someone please post a comparison of the same subject from 5D classic showing this unique IQ "magic" with a different camera (ideally 5D Mark II or Mark III)?

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,750Gear list
Like?
Re: Magical IQ of 5D classic
In reply to Press Correspondent, May 31, 2012

You can only believe this kind of thing if you can do it blind, if you'll pardon the contradiction.

Of cameras I've used the Olympus E-3, 1Ds, 1Dsii, 1Dsiii and 1Div have magical IQ.
To me at least. For how small it is, the Fuji X-10 has.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KiboOst
Senior MemberPosts: 1,162Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, May 31, 2012

From a totally subjective point of view, it seems that since these models, IQ have been enhanced more by software than real hardware improvements. This can be seen by per pixel sharpness/noise evolution. Resolution have made prints better because more equal pixels is better, but more better pixels would be even better and has not been the case by a high margin.
--
http://www.nicolasgenette.com

KiboOst's gear list:KiboOst's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +5 more
rpiotr01
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
No magic

To me the "magic" of the 5D is more about the design and intention of the camera. Absolutely no bells and whistles. No fancy AF. No large manual to learn, very few options to consider for each shot. You put on a lens and out comes a lovely, clean, detailed image. It's a camera that's just about the photo, not about the tech.

Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,308Gear list
Like?
At the time of its release, it was all about the tech
In reply to rpiotr01, May 31, 2012

An excerpt from Canon's White Paper:

Canon currently makes five extraordinary EOS DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex)
cameras of which two, the EOS-1Ds Mark II and the EOS 5D, incorporate full-frame
CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) image sensors. Today, these

cameras are unique in format and unequalled in performance. This paper will discuss

what is meant by “full-frame sensor,” why full-frame sensors are the finest all-around

tools of digital photography, why CMOS is superior to CCD (Charge-Coupled Device)

for DSLR cameras, and how it came to pass that the evolution of a host of associated

technologies – and some courageous and insightful business decisions – positioned

Canon to stand alone as the only manufacturer of 35mm format digital cameras with
full-frame image sensors today (as of August 1st, 2006).

rpiotr01 wrote:

To me the "magic" of the 5D is more about the design and intention of the camera. Absolutely no bells and whistles. No fancy AF. No large manual to learn, very few options to consider for each shot. You put on a lens and out comes a lovely, clean, detailed image. It's a camera that's just about the photo, not about the tech.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Diasfrom Brasil
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?

There is your magic. A camera seven years older that can render the red texture better.

5dmk3 iso 3200

5dc iso 3200

rpiotr01
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
Good point
In reply to Rick Knepper, May 31, 2012

The FF sensor was what set it apart for a long time. As the years have gone by, however, I think it's the simplicity of the whole shebang that has led to a lot of the "magic" comments. The tech in other cameras has passed it by leaps and bounds, but people still talk about the magic of the 5D. IMO it's as much user experience as anything else.

AdamScot
Contributing MemberPosts: 602Gear list
Like?

I don't find my 5DM to be particularly magical compared to other cameras, although it does apparently lack some of the compromises that have been introduced in more recent Canon models - the recording of reds being one such.

However, it doesn't have much exposure tolerance, and the way it clips highlights can be unpleasant. Also, for a camera that was in Canon's professional line-up, it is shoddily built, and the resulting lack of electronic shielding can affect what the sensor produces - in the form of interference banding.

-- hide signature --

Adam

AdamScot's gear list:AdamScot's gear list
Canon PowerShot S70 Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +9 more
gdanmitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,730
Like?

Press Correspondent wrote:

Many believe 5D classic has a "magical" IQ unmatched even by its own successors (but possibly shared with 1Ds Mark II). Can someone please post a comparison of the same subject from 5D classic showing this unique IQ "magic" with a different camera (ideally 5D Mark II or Mark III)?

A few insist on making this comment from time to time, but it is not the case at all that "many" believe this.

I own both a 5D and a 5D2 and have made tens of thousands of photographs on each of them. If I actually felt that the 5D provided some sort of "magical" image quality, I would simply make it my primary camera and demote the 5D2 to backup status. But it is not "magical" - though it is a fine, competent camera.

Virtually all people who invoke the "magical" qualities of camera equipment are imagining something that isn't really there. People inaccurately presume that anything older must be better than a newer thing. They invoke magic as an explanation for keeping the old thing rather than upgrading. (And I am not suggesting that upgrading is always a good thing.) They make comparisons that fail to consider how the cameras a functionally different. (E.g. - the false comparison of 100% crops from very different cameras.) They presume that the image quality they got with old setting on the old camera should be identical with the same settings on the newer camera. Etc...

Dan

cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,190Gear list
Like?
Build
In reply to AdamScot, May 31, 2012

I've seen a couple to a few comments about shoddy build of the 5D, but so far no examples of what is causing that comment.

Why do you say it has shoddy build? And what are you comparing it too?

Carl

http://photographic-central.blogspot.com/

Ironic Misquote: "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude; nothing can help the man with wrong one."
-Thomas Jefferson

Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,085Gear list
Like?
Forum and blog gibberish

It's just a term used to make new friends. It's so corny a cliche it's comical.

Beans are a magical fruit. The more you eat...

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
Le Kilt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662
Like?

The magical side was that it was 'relatively affordable' for a camera that was in the top three in the world for DSLR IQ when it came out.

No odd quirks or behaviour, with minimal experience and a good lens, you just knew you were going to get good shots.

Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,329
Like?
Original 5D and 30D

People hate it when I say it, but the 5D and 30D are virtually the same camera with the exception of sensor size, from feature set to image quality. That's not a bad thing, necessarily, as the 30D -- which came out shortly after the 5D-- merely improved upon the already outstanding 20D -- which came out slightly before it. Only very minor differences separate them, and both were outstanding for their time; the 5D is no more "magical" than the 30D.

Faintandfuzzy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,327Gear list
Like?
Nothing magical....

....it was just the first FF body that a lot of amateurs could afford. A lot of them had never used good quality 35mm gear in years past....so when they found better quality compared to their point and shoots...and better DOF control over their point and shoots....they deemed the 5D to be something special.

Canon made/makes a 5D, 5D2 and 5D3. There has never been a "Classic" listed in their website.

Faintandfuzzy's gear list:Faintandfuzzy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Olympus E-10 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 +10 more
Faintandfuzzy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,327Gear list
Like?
Re: Original 5D and 30D
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, May 31, 2012

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

People hate it when I say it, but the 5D and 30D are virtually the same camera with the exception of sensor size, from feature set to image quality. That's not a bad thing, necessarily, as the 30D -- which came out shortly after the 5D-- merely improved upon the already outstanding 20D -- which came out slightly before it. Only very minor differences separate them, and both were outstanding for their time; the 5D is no more "magical" than the 30D.

Many of us have pointed that out in years past....but it won't win you many friends here....LOL.

Faintandfuzzy's gear list:Faintandfuzzy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Olympus E-10 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 +10 more
EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 734Gear list
Like?
In reply to gdanmitchell, May 31, 2012

I see you're the kind of guys that tell 5 year olds on Christmas Eve that Santa Claus doesn't exist, and then proceed to explain how it is technically impossible for him to fly around the world in 24 hours, delivering presents to all the deserving kids, while consuming all the cookies and milk put out for him.

gdanmitchell wrote:

A few insist on making this comment from time to time, but it is not the case at all that "many" believe this.

I own both a 5D and a 5D2 and have made tens of thousands of photographs on each of them. If I actually felt that the 5D provided some sort of "magical" image quality, I would simply make it my primary camera and demote the 5D2 to backup status. But it is not "magical" - though it is a fine, competent camera.

Virtually all people who invoke the "magical" qualities of camera equipment are imagining something that isn't really there. People inaccurately presume that anything older must be better than a newer thing. They invoke magic as an explanation for keeping the old thing rather than upgrading. (And I am not suggesting that upgrading is always a good thing.) They make comparisons that fail to consider how the cameras a functionally different. (E.g. - the false comparison of 100% crops from very different cameras.) They presume that the image quality they got with old setting on the old camera should be identical with the same settings on the newer camera. Etc...

Dan

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
js20D
Regular MemberPosts: 461
Like?
Competent

People that make these statements are trying to justify something old as being somehow special. One day the Mk3 will have this status.

The 5D is competent and extremely useable. I have the 5D and 5D(II) and use them about equal amount each. For most conditions you cannot see the difference. The user experience is not that different either (to me at least, maybe I am getting old) video has limited use to me.

The 5D gives tremendous 'bang for the buck' and I would recommend buying a light used one on Ebay or the likes for anyone that wants to do serious photography but does not have the budget.

If it helps you can call it magical if it makes you sleep better.

qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 8,304Gear list
Like?
Re: Original 5D and 30D
In reply to Faintandfuzzy, May 31, 2012

Fuzzy (short for FaintandFuzzy), a known troll never own and experience 5D/5D2/5D3, and don't own any cameras this forum dedicated to. Go back to your Nikon nest and rest there.

Faintandfuzzy wrote:

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Many of us have pointed that out in years past....but it won't win you many friends here....LOL.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +19 more
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 8,304Gear list
Like?

What magic from a 5Dc owners who took more than 35K from it, who also own 60D and 1D3?

Excellent IQ that still withstand most today's DSLR. Its high ISO still beat today's APS-C from any vendors till ISO 3200 that it maxes out.
Stellar skin tone and well known creamy and smooth color rendition.

Can use some best Canon EF lenses such as 15mm/fisheye, TS-E (better with a VF amplifier as it doesn't support LV)

Downside:
dust (can be cleaned)
w/o LV (can be addressed thru a VF amplifier)

Poor LCD quality by today's standard (but its files shine in the computer that only matters)
Don't support video (which even not a con to me).

Here is the Magic sample many have seen. APS-C simply cannot match it from the perspective creamy smooth rendition and clarity.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&message=36646587

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +19 more
Blake Cook
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143Gear list
Like?
In reply to EvokeEmotion, May 31, 2012

EvokeEmotion wrote:

I see you're the kind of guys that tell 5 year olds on Christmas Eve that Santa Claus doesn't exist, and then proceed to explain how it is technically impossible for him to fly around the world in 24 hours, delivering presents to all the deserving kids, while consuming all the cookies and milk put out for him.

ROFLOL!!

Santa sure loved my 5D which occasionally surprises with something that just jumps out as special. Magical works for me.

-- hide signature --

Blake in Vancouver
Panasonic Stuff, Canon Stuff. Mac Stuff & annoying PC & Windows stuff.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads