Surprised K-01 Rated So Low For Value

Started May 31, 2012 | Discussions
mervis50
Regular MemberPosts: 209
Like?
Surprised K-01 Rated So Low For Value
May 31, 2012

Considering that class-leading image quality coupled with a set of good prime lenses would cost far more with the OM-D, NEX-7 or the X-Pro1, I think DPR got it wrong about the K-01's value. When I was shopping for a new system last January, I didn't have an unlimited budget and price of access was a major factor in steering me to the K-01.

Another quibble: the review's emphasis on the K-01's alleged bulk. For walking around the city and hiking through the bush, the K-01 sits in a small bag on my hip with a pancake lens attached, ready for shooting. Much better than a DSLR for this (personal experience) and not so much bigger than the other mirrorless offerings to make a noticeable difference.

Otherwise not a bad review. Will reluctantly concede occasional slow AF and a sometimes difficult-to-see LCD, although these rarely affect my approach to shooting. The links in my signature give a decent show of what can be done by one enthusiast with a K-01.
--
My K-01 Contact Sheet: http://k-01vancouver.tumblr.com/
My K-01 Diary: http://kayohonediary.tumblr.com/
K-7 images from Mexico, Guatemala & Belize: http://mesoamerica.tumblr.com/

Cheers from Vancouver, Canada

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-7 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
leopold
Forum ProPosts: 11,962Gear list
Like?
Re: Surprised K-01 Rated So Low For Value
In reply to mervis50, May 31, 2012

Hi,
i was surprised also how low they rated the K-01 !

Sure i agree with the AF, but with some of my lenses it work better, my DA14 is fast and accurate.

It's certainly not a camera for sports but it was not built for that, for Macro and MF it's a great tool.

I was not surprised that the lack of VF would be a negative point.

Personally i don't care about video , so the negative points about video are irrelevant for me.

Well we can't please everyone, i will continue to shoot with mine until it dies
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/
http://www.limagier-photo.com/
http://www.firstlight.com/galleries.php
http://steevemarcoux2.wordpress.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,662Gear list
Like?

mervis50 wrote:

Considering that class-leading image quality coupled with a set of good prime lenses would cost far more with the OM-D, NEX-7 or the X-Pro1, ...

The cameras that you have listed are clearly higher spec cameras. Why would you compare K01 with those cameras? Why not compare it to cheaper cameras? K01 features and build quality match the cheaper cameras that don't have built-in EVF. GF3 with 14mm F2.5 pancake lens is selling for $379 right now. That's some deal. Basically the camera for like 100$, as the lens itself is $266 ($399 launch price). 5N is cheaper is too. .

fisherman_lol
Contributing MemberPosts: 841Gear list
Like?
In reply to ET2, May 31, 2012

ET2 wrote:

mervis50 wrote:

Considering that class-leading image quality coupled with a set of good prime lenses would cost far more with the OM-D, NEX-7 or the X-Pro1, ...

The cameras that you have listed are clearly higher spec cameras. Why would you compare K01 with those cameras? Why not compare it to cheaper cameras? K01 features and build quality match the cheaper cameras that don't have built-in EVF. GF3 with 14mm F2.5 pancake lens is selling for $379 right now. That's some deal. Basically the camera for like 100$, as the lens itself is $266 ($399 launch price). 5N is cheaper is too. .

Are you on a payroll by DPR? you are one the trolls that DPR doesn't do anything about it. You have the most trolling comments in this forum and nothing happens to you. Wow.
--

ET2
ET2
Like?
In reply to fisherman_lol, May 31, 2012

fisherman_lol wrote:

ET2 wrote:

mervis50 wrote:

Are you on a payroll by DPR? you are one the trolls that DPR doesn't do anything about it. You have the most trolling comments in this forum and nothing happens to you. Wow.

Maybe DPR is smart enough to see that your response to my reasonable post was far more offensive than my post?

mervis50
Like?

If I just want to take the best possible pictures with the cleanest possible files (which I know doesn't really interest you), I wouldn't by a MOR fourthirds happycam with a plastic lens.

IQ-wise, the K-01 will rate above the OM-D, is about equal to the NEX-7, and probably slightly lower than the X-Pro1. That's the kind of company the K-01 belongs in, however much you want to deny it.

How many really good all-metal primes can you get with the NEX system sans adapter? Just one? What a shame. Patience, everyone.

You should throw in the towel, troll. Your war on the K-01 is long lost. I refer you to my websites.
--

audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,782Gear list
Like?

mervis50 wrote:

soThe links in my signature give a decent show of what can be done by one enthusiast with a K-01.
--

I really enjoyed your photos. I should stop reading these stupid forums and spend the time more wisely.
--
Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Meshuggah
Contributing MemberPosts: 511
Like?
In reply to fisherman_lol, May 31, 2012

fisherman_lol wrote:

ET2 wrote:

mervis50 wrote:

--

if enough people report him he will be banned from pentax on this account. ill start for us all, just click the button down below his post

mervis50
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, May 31, 2012

I agree.
--

Meshuggah
Contributing MemberPosts: 511
Like?

ET2 wrote:

mervis50 wrote:

the cameras he mentioned are not higher spec cameras. the nex7 has no weather sealing, can only go up to 1600iso for video, and has horrible iso performance. the x-pro1 has even iso performance with the k-01 but is twice the price. the E-M5 is mft, it wont compete with IQ against an apsc, let alone the k-01. you are just jaded bc you got suckered into buying a crap mirrorless and now pentax trumped your nex7 IQ for half the price.

the fact that the k-01 isnt in the same price range as any of those cameras yet still has better IQ is saying something. and soon you and your skinny miss balanced nex7 will be completely overshadowed by the k30 in every way. pentaprism on the nex7? weather sealing on the nex7? whats the nex7 max shutter again? noisy iso1600 pics eh? go back to the sony forums and report anybody who doesnt agree sony is a low light camera.

anthony mazzeri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,629
Like?

ET2 wrote:

5N is cheaper is too. .

Sony subsidizes its products. I've always wondered how they've been able to sell their NEX cameras so cheaply. Now we know they sold the Playstation 3 for $300 or so less than it actually cost them to make. So you can't expect smaller players to be able to adopt such tactics to gain market share, nor hold them to the same pricing levels which would ruin them.

JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,546Gear list
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, May 31, 2012

It is very difficult to put the K-01 in one camp or another. When it comes to comparing to the smaller 4/3rds sensors, the K-01 is clearly better in terms of IQ. The review pretty much relies on the testing from a less rigorous site that assumes Jpeg will be the main use. I don't know where claims showing the NEX-5n has better image quality and DR can come from - the Pentax implementation is far better when compared directly in controlled situations (by a very wide margin). Build between K-01 and NEX, and even handling - is more advanced. It is an easier camera to handle for serious users who might want to use larger lenses on occasion.

Look at the specs and IQ between the K-01 and the X-Pro1. The Pentax is slightly cleaner at low ISOs (Fuji only goes down to 200). They are very close anywhere from 400 to 1600 ISO (the most commonly used speeds). Fuji is thinner (but taller and wider), Pentax has lens diversity (but certainly not as nicely matched lenses), Fuji has VF and retro look, but Pentax gives you a good built-in flash and excellent battery capacity. Fuji is amazing at 6400 and above.

Most of the other specs are close. I think the Fuji is a jewel, but not worth the $1,000 extra for the bling. Unfortunately, the reviewers were dead set against the concept and the visual execution from the start, and the pack mentality has taken over.

It is human nature, I guess, to allow emotion to over-ride empirical data. Glad the K30 is already a hit, even though it is expected to perform the same in IQ based on the same sensor and processor. I remember way back when mirrorless was not expected to match better dSLR IQ - as that was a lot to ask. (When was that, last year?)
--
JNR
http://www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 1,935Gear list
Like?
In reply to JNR, May 31, 2012

Other than 16MP and looks, how is a K-01 better than a K-r?

I can name a lot of ways the K-r is better than the K-01.

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha NEX-3N
JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,546Gear list
Like?
Re: K-01 not intended to compare with the K-R
In reply to tomtom50, May 31, 2012

They aren't directly comparable. If you need a camera that takes interchangeable lenses and you are on a budget, then the K-R is a fine way to start. You should go with a dSLR.

But for what I need to back up my dSLRs (Canon for action shooting and ttl flash, Pentax for most other situations), is a camera that does good manual control video with stereo audio, superior imaging at 3200 (KR is good, but older and noisier sensor tech), precise MF with focus peaking, smaller package, and quiet shutter for concerts.

K-R or K-X is a better single camera solution for the regular shooter - and those advantages are significant. Really, folks, most people here don't need a K-01 for their style of shooting, or what fits into their kit. I won't be the only semi-pro shooter to make it work in his or her kit - for reasons that are already quite well established.

No amount chest beating will change the facts - what the K-01 does well (a limited set to be sure), it does remarkably well for a fair price.
--
JNR
http://www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,106Gear list
Like?

ET2 wrote:

mervis50 wrote:

In case someone reads this and don't know who/what ET2 is: the K-01's build quality is definitely much better than those plastic cheaper cameras. In fact it feels very solid and well made, with its metal body (though not weathersealed, which would be a must to call it rugged). Yes, I had it in my hands - and he didn't.

By the way, DPReview claims it's bigger than any MILC and about the same size as smaller DSLRs. It's not.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
wy2lam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,989Gear list
Like?

All of these cameras you mention has a....well....let's just say funny lens selection for their mounts. And the GF3? It's a cheaper camera for a reason - my E-PL*1* beats it in IQ.

ET2 wrote:

mervis50 wrote:

wy2lam's gear list:wy2lam's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
ET2
ET2
Like?
In reply to Alex Sarbu, May 31, 2012

Alex Sarbu wrote:

ET2 wrote:

mervis50 wrote:

In case someone reads this and don't know who/what ET2 is: the K-01's build quality is definitely much better than those plastic cheaper cameras.

GF3 and Nex-5N both are magnesium alloy. K01 is plastic

robbo d
Contributing MemberPosts: 598Gear list
Like?
Re: K-01 not intended to compare with the K-R
In reply to JNR, May 31, 2012

JNR...........total agreement.

I also think the 69% is a fair call. The rating compares it with all known technology including AF, buffering, video etc etc and as you say it does a limited number of things very well. That score does not make it a bad camera, as it scored high in IQ.

Leopold ? I think does some great macros and it seems to excel in that area also.

Very smart phone ish in its use.

ET2
ET2
Like?
In reply to wy2lam, May 31, 2012

wy2lam wrote:

All of these cameras you mention has a....well....let's just say funny lens selection for their mounts.

Have seen all these M4/3 lenses launched in the past 2 years? Besides, the mirror-less cameras with shorter flange distance can use any lenss ever made, inlcude K-mount lenses.

Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,106Gear list
Like?

ET2 wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

ET2 wrote:

mervis50 wrote:

In case someone reads this and don't know who/what ET2 is: the K-01's build quality is definitely much better than those plastic cheaper cameras.

GF3 and Nex-5N both are magnesium alloy. K01 is plastic

The K-01 is definitely metal/aluminium, don't lie. It looks like a brick, and it feels as solid.

People should go and try the cameras themselves; the difference is obvious. I would say, even comparing with the "magnesium alloy" NEX

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads