K0-1 ... Review.

Started May 30, 2012 | Discussions
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: DPR - holy arbiters of public taste
In reply to altis, May 31, 2012

altis wrote:

Yer, if the world was run by reviewers we'd be restricted to lowest-common-denominator clones.

Thank goodness real customers have more diverse tastes.

I totally agree, and I think DC-Resource with the help of DPR got this one wrong for the simple fact that the K-01 has absolutely superb IQ, and terrific 920K LCD with focus peaking.

I'd put images from a K-01 up against any mirror-less camera.

I have a really hard time with a camera that get such praise on DxOMark, where it topped all ILCs except for one, getting a below average score of 69%.

Also have to wonder why a camera like the Canon G1X that has performance issues like slow AF, no real VF to speak of, big and chunky, poor video, etc, gets a Silver Award when a camera is some of the very best IQ of any APS-C camera gets panned.

Rewarding cookie-cutter cameras while panning camera makers who dare to be different with bold offerings just seems wrong.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
arnelie
Regular MemberPosts: 312Gear list
Like?
Re: K0-1 ... Review.
In reply to ET2, May 31, 2012

ET2 wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

You can turn SR off, right?

No, he can't. He would keep it On, and shake the camera left and right just to prove his point

Image stabilization is a very nice feature, even for video. This is a con if you can't use SR during video.

I agree, I always have SR on while shooting K-7 video. Besides that, what do emotional replies, with sarcasm included, on a technical observation, have to do in this forum?
/Arne

arnelie's gear list:arnelie's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +11 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 22,874Gear list
Like?
Dumbest Con
In reply to Frederick J Stewart, May 31, 2012

"Chunky body defeats the purpose of mirrorless design; ergonomics leave something to be desired."

I'm not a Pentax user, so my interest in this is null. First, no comment on the ergo comment, mostly a matter of taste. But first part is not really relevant. What does ML have to do with size? The future is likely all ML and the Pentax option is likely going to be Nikon and Canon option when they move to ML in APS-C: keep mount, for obvious reasons. The option of reducing size is only relevant if one wants to produce a camera to compete with compacts. Many people don't want an interchangeable lens camera very small, for good reasons as well.

DPR sometimes misses it, like when they insisted that more pixels were bad for IQ/noise.

Only issue worth pondering about is AF. You can't compete with dslrs w/o a good AF system.
--
Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
gaddigad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,567Gear list
Like?
Re: Depends on how you look at it...esp mirror less presumptions
In reply to tombell1, May 31, 2012

tombell1 wrote:

In the long run I am not sure thatPentax are not right .. I quite like the size of this camera ....the heft is useful to me ....and why should we assume that the only point of errorless is being small????

I Agree

If they bring out another then they need

1/ Better performance
2/ articulating screen
3/ a tiny lens which like the x100/x1 has a 35mm FOV--

-SR in video
-AF during video (i.e. a talented video engineer on board)
-A great EVF
-Live DOF/EV evaluation mode with AF (new AF system for the k-0X line?)

Not easy but possible

Tom Bell
Dartmoor
Devon

http://flickr.com/photos/tombell1

-- hide signature --

Ask not what your camera can do for you, but what you can do for your camera
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/gs-photos

lol101
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,061Gear list
Like?
Re: DPR - holy arbiters of public taste
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, May 31, 2012

That's all fair and good but at the end of the day, DPR is a technical/testing site that reviews and rates cameras.

To be able to do so, they must refer to some kind of scale & weighting factors which is theirs, how do you propose they work it our otherwise? Accomodate for everyone's taste, by saying that everything is always fine and dandy to avoid upseting anyone by critics? Now that would make for a very "interesting" review...

They have their grading scales and are perfectly allowed to state that mirrorless should be small if that's what they think.

On the other hand, you're allowed to disagree and use your own scale & weighting factors.

lol101's gear list:lol101's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 1000D Samsung NX1000 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +10 more
lol101
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,061Gear list
Like?
Re: Dumbest Con
In reply to rhlpetrus, May 31, 2012

rhlpetrus wrote:

"Chunky body defeats the purpose of mirrorless design; ergonomics leave something to be desired."

What does ML have to do with size?

Fair enough.

What is the purpose of ML then?

lol101's gear list:lol101's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 1000D Samsung NX1000 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +10 more
Ian Leach
Senior MemberPosts: 1,148
Like?
In reply to lol101, May 31, 2012

lol101 wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

Fair enough.

Some people prefer constant live view over mirror up fix.
Some people prefer EVF over OVF.

Some people want a camera which is not cumbersome but is also not awkwardly small.
It's a free world and dpr should be more flexible.

Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,225Gear list
Like?

lol101 wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

Fair enough.

To force a transition from wonderful photographic tools to gadgets

Alex (still waiting for the first MILC with WiFi/Facebook connectivity, touch screen and Angry Birds)

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,225Gear list
Like?
In reply to arnelie, May 31, 2012

arnelie wrote:

ET2 wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

You can turn SR off, right?

No, he can't. He would keep it On, and shake the camera left and right just to prove his point

Image stabilization is a very nice feature, even for video. This is a con if you can't use SR during video.

I agree, I always have SR on while shooting K-7 video. Besides that, what do emotional replies, with sarcasm included, on a technical observation, have to do in this forum?
/Arne

If you're referring to my reply, I'm afraid it is scientifically correct and 100% accurate, based on extrapolating the empirical observations of subject's behavior - no emotion or any other perturbing factor involved.

Best regards,
Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
zxaar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,243
Like?

lol101 wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

Fair enough.

Why Pentax Q isn't the best mirrorless then?? It is surely the most compact of all.

-- hide signature --

::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

Paphios
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?
In reply to rhlpetrus, May 31, 2012

In some ways the K-01 is a bit of a niche camera. One niche it fills very well is using live view for manual forcus with focus peaking. It turns out that this niche is extremely important to me, so I bought one. Not instead of a dSLR but as a complement to one. It has turned out to be a great choice for me.

veato
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
Re: Depends on how you look at it...
In reply to il_alexk, May 31, 2012

It's quite creative of you to compare the K0-1 to what was the smallest and lightest (IIRC) DSLR on the market.

Removing bias, let's compare it to the 'other' Pentax DSLR. You'll find the K0-1 is lighter, thinner, narrower and shorter than the K-5.

Yes I agree it's big for a mirrorless but compared to an APS-C DSLR it is smaller.

veato's gear list:veato's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +2 more
Kavu
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?

Yep....basically every review of this camera seems to say the same thing. I think Pentax made an odd choice design-wise and it wasn't one that was necessarily informed by function. That said, I'm' sure many people will take great pictures with it and claim it is the best thing since sliced bread...

Frederick J Stewart wrote:

K0-1 review basically what we expected.

solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,750Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kavu, May 31, 2012

I'll use a camera every time to take a picture... over a slice of bread thank you.

Kavu wrote:

Yep....basically every review of this camera seems to say the same thing. I think Pentax made an odd choice design-wise and it wasn't one that was necessarily informed by function. That said, I'm' sure many people will take great pictures with it and claim it is the best thing since sliced bread...

Frederick J Stewart wrote:

K0-1 review basically what we expected.

-- hide signature --

At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell

“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984

chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,010
Like?
In reply to solarider, May 31, 2012

DPR gets so fixated on things like it being mirrorless, and just runs with it. So what if it's mirrorless, does that mean you just go on and on about it's size compared to other mirrorless?

And then they just kind of casually mention that, YES, it does have fantastic image quality better than pretty much every other mirrorless, as if that's not that important.

JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?
It's not even DPR
In reply to chiane, May 31, 2012

It's a Jeff Keller review from another site.
--
Variance is Evil!

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,063Gear list
Like?
Review should have side by side photos (more)

There are several claims in the review that the K-01 is as large as a DSLR. I would like to see side-by-side photos in the review with DSLR cameras to support this claim (Like Canon/Nikon/Sony), like many other reviews have, or did I just miss these?

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
Meshuggah
Contributing MemberPosts: 511
Like?
Re: Review should have side by side photos (more)
In reply to viking79, May 31, 2012

ive always wondered why so many people complain about size. ive seen many many people say "its a bit small for my hands, and im not a large handed person", then in the next breath say "the k-01 or whatever camera is too big". look, theres one size that is best for any pair of hands period. does a small camera have advantages in storage or transportation? sure, but thats where it ends.

weight i could understand, not everybody has youthful wrists, but size does not determine weight. ive held the k-01, and ive held the nex7. the pentax is welcome back in my hands, the sony is not. im 5'11' and i dont want to ride a childs bike, this is what the nex cameras feel like in my hands.

also, pentax has great IS but that is only useful to a certain extent. once you hit a certain speed of shutter, moderate camera shake will be frozen anyway, such as in sports shooting. this i would guess is why canon and nikon dont insist on adding in camera IS, they have a lot of sports shooters. its when you are taking pictures of you child's birthday with a few candles lit that it shines, bc that 1:60 wont stop camera shake.

Prognathous
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,651
Like?
Re: Here is your clue ...
In reply to mervis50, May 31, 2012

mervis50 wrote:

K30 looks like a great camera AND a very good deal.

If you own K-mount lenses the K30 is indeed a very good deal, but would you recommend it to a friend who doesn't yet own any lenses?

Prog.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oren_b

Meshuggah
Contributing MemberPosts: 511
Like?
In reply to chiane, May 31, 2012

chiane wrote:

DPR gets so fixated on things like it being mirrorless, and just runs with it. So what if it's mirrorless, does that mean you just go on and on about it's size compared to other mirrorless?

And then they just kind of casually mention that, YES, it does have fantastic image quality better than pretty much every other mirrorless, as if that's not that important.

yea i think a lot of people like to generalize cameras based on way too many factors. to me, they are all the same. you point, click, and a picture is taken. some offer more options, which i prefer, but in the end i dont really care if it has a mirror, or a couple mice on a wheel, or a nuclear reactor inside. if a mirrorless takes sharper clearer pictures than a dslr so be it.

im not worried about looking fad as im in my back yard, or on vacation. IQ is what is important to me, bc i do this for PICTURES . i do prefer a VF, but i can do without if it means i get better pictures. to be honest, the only "niche" any camera should be compared by is price. if the nex7 and the 7D are the same price, they are competitors.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads