My first few weeks with the OMD

Started May 30, 2012 | Discussions
Buchan-Grant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,941Gear list
Like?
My first few weeks with the OMD
May 30, 2012

I managed to get one just before a few trips overseas. Thoroughly delighted with the performance and the fact that 3200 is actually quite useable for once!!

The ergonomics are excellent and I can't wait to get out and use this grip which arrived today.

I used it to shoot a couple of resorts in Portugal over the last week. I have to say it was a joy to use and a perfect tool for this job. I used it with a 7-14mm lens on a tripod at waist level with the LCD up and spirit levels on. The exposure comp was incredibly easy to not only implement but to see exactly how this would affect the shot.

I also used it for general travel/landscape shooting during which it was well pelted with sand and seawater.

Here are some of my favourites from the last few weeks but all can be seen here: http://buchangrant.com/blog/

-- hide signature --
 Buchan-Grant's gear list:Buchan-Grant's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +5 more
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,799Gear list
Like?
Wow....
In reply to Buchan-Grant, May 30, 2012

very nice.

I see you like to shoot B&W high key.

Was that intentional or did the subjects just exceed the DR of the sensor?

Tedolph, RIP

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tony Tomlin
Contributing MemberPosts: 576
Like?
Re: Wow....
In reply to tedolf, May 30, 2012

I'm not a black and white fan but these are stunning, particularly the first one. I see you are in agreement with Louis - fuzzy water - lovely shot though!
--
Tony

BayAreaWZ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,189Gear list
Like?
Re: My first few weeks with the OMD

Great shots. The last three are stunning.

The third shot of the child and lady is the type of shot that annoys my wife who complains that her face is blurry, but that's what happens with dof of a larger sensor camera vs a phone or point and shoot. Hard to explain that to her sometimes. Not sure if your wife (?) was annoyed since she was smiling for the camera.

BayAreaWZ's gear list:BayAreaWZ's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
SaltLakeGuy
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,951Gear list
Like?
#4 and #6

just flat knocked my socks right off. The color and sharpness and shear contrast detail shocked me. What in the heck are you post processing in?

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 25,889Gear list
Like?

Aside from the depth of features/customizations, it's real easy to get comfortable with, ain't it?

Refreshingly appealing work, always look forward to what you're pointing glass at.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,685Gear list
Like?
Beautiful set

Thanks for sharing them.
Love the one of the little girl.
Steve

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
mwickens
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
Love these. Thank you (nt)
In reply to Buchan-Grant, May 31, 2012

nt=no text

Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,843Gear list
Like?

Excellent photos all!

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
tommiejeep
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,698
Like?

Neil, excellent. I really like the first two B&W. No exif here but found the exif on the Blog shots. Many thanks, I'm trying to learn my E-M5 so all info helps.

I'm having trouble downloading the trial LR4 but my copy comes next week. I was surprised at 'Sharpness=soft' on the B&W portrait. Nice. I did not buy the 25 1.4 but you are really tempting me with your shots

I can always strive to achieve shots this good

Cheers,
--
Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong

Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/

Nikonworks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?

What more could anyone want?

By the way, I suspect you can make an old Kodak Brownie camera look good.

How about some lessons about your skill and talent as a photographer?

Serious - DPReview just posted their 'Wanted' ad.

Submit something - just do it.

vincent filomena
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,106Gear list
Like?

The first good pictures I've seen with the OMD: a little over sharpened, but quality is evident !

Thanks, Vjim

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
Buchan-Grant
Like?
Re: #4 and #6
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, May 31, 2012

thanks, all the black and whites are shot as straight RAW files and done in LR4 and Silver Efex, colour files just in LR4

-- hide signature --
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +5 more
Buchan-Grant
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, May 31, 2012

cheers Bob yes, its a huge leap from the EP3, I wouldn't mind getting a second one:)

I reckon the 75mm is next on the list for me and I'll swap out the 12mm f2 for the new 12-35mm 2.8 zoom also
--
Neil
http://about.me/buchangrant

Buchan-Grant
Like?
Re: Beautiful set
In reply to Steven Wandy, May 31, 2012

cheers Steve, she's not my wife, as someone commented, she was staying at the resort I was shooting and the light was just perfect when we walked past, the mother was very kind and she has my card so I can send her copies. I think they were Scaninavian
--
Neil

Buchan-Grant
Like?
In reply to tommiejeep, May 31, 2012

cheers, I tend to do no sharpness except the eyes in PS5

the 25mm lens is becoming my main lens but I really should force myself to use the 45mm more as it also makes a beautiful image
--
Neil

Fraenzken
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?

Wonderful pics, thanks for sharing!
Cheers
Frank
--
http://naturfotos.bplaced.net/Mix/

Buchan-Grant
Like?
Re: Wow....
In reply to tedolf, May 31, 2012

nice try Tedolph:) but no banana!
--
Neil

don_van_vliet
Contributing MemberPosts: 618
Like?
Number 3

Great photos, I enjoy your threads - keep posting!

I was just wondering, in #3 the girl is looking up above the camera. Are you shooting from the hip or did you get her to pose?

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?

Very nice, and extremely sorry to have missed you!

Next year...

Buchan-Grant wrote:

I managed to get one just before a few trips overseas. Thoroughly delighted with the performance and the fact that 3200 is actually quite useable for once!!

The ergonomics are excellent and I can't wait to get out and use this grip which arrived today.

I used it to shoot a couple of resorts in Portugal over the last week. I have to say it was a joy to use and a perfect tool for this job. I used it with a 7-14mm lens on a tripod at waist level with the LCD up and spirit levels on. The exposure comp was incredibly easy to not only implement but to see exactly how this would affect the shot.

I also used it for general travel/landscape shooting during which it was well pelted with sand and seawater.

Here are some of my favourites from the last few weeks but all can be seen here: http://buchangrant.com/blog/

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads