Do I buy 7D? or wait for 7D-II?

Started May 30, 2012 | Discussions
Alameer
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Do I buy 7D? or wait for 7D-II?
May 30, 2012

I am planning to buy a 7D within the next 2 or 3 weeks. But given the rumours about a possible 7D MrkII on the horizon, Should I wait? If so, for how long?

I'm using an 1100D for now, and I'm sick of it, as it restricts me! So I've decided to upgrade to 7D as soon as possible. But I don't really know if I should wait for the 7D-II, or just get the 7D now!

Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50) Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AC1
AC1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I buy 7D? or wait for 7D-II?
In reply to Alameer, May 30, 2012

On recent evidence even if a 7DII was announced tomorrow you might be waiting months before it's in your hands.

And given you are being frustrated today by the limtations of your current 1100 that is the best possible reason to upgrade. Too many people upgrade for the sake of it but waiting til you are physically constrained by your kit is a good way of doing it.

So I'd say it was simple, do it now and get on with enjoying photography at the next level.

And who knows, by the time you've mastered the 7D your next jump might be to a 5D4!

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
javierz0509
Regular MemberPosts: 144
Like?
In reply to AC1, May 30, 2012

the camera of tomorrow cant take the pictures of today.

victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,826Gear list
Like?

As AC1 mentioned, even if announced tomorrow, you'd have to get in line for the thing. Then, after waiting weeks or months and paying full retail (or more) - what bugs are in store? Remember the 7D when it first came out had the notorious ghosting problem. The 5D mkII had the black dot issue.

I personally don't like being an early adopter. Once the camera has been out a year they have usually sorted out things like grips that fall off, screwy buttons, dials, firmware etc. Every new camera has some sort of issue, no matter what brand. Especially if new technology is being introduced.

So, since you're sick of your 1100 right now, and not 3-6 months from now - I'd jump on some of the good prices that are available now when you see 'em!

BTW, what is it you feel is restricting you on your 1100 if I may ask?

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
Alameer
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to victorian squid, May 30, 2012

What restricts me in using the 1100 is the 3 frames per second! I love taking pictures of birds and insects, and 3 is a bit too slow for me.

jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,688Gear list
Like?

Clearly no one can make this decision for you. As mentioned, if you decide to wait, you could be waiting for several more months, probably fall announcement with units available for the end of year holidays. If you buy now, you will have your camera, save some money, but the current 7D is getting dated and was introduced 3 years ago.

I am looking to upgrade a 450D/XSi and intend to wait it out.
--
Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Alton (TN)
Contributing MemberPosts: 977
Like?
I had the same dilima twice in this last year

First with the 5DII last summer. I knew a MKIII was on the horizon but also knew the MKII was a great proven camera. I bought the MKII and have been shooting pictures instead of waiting. While the MKIII is a great camera, it would not have been worth the wait and the price as I look back on it now. It has features that I would like to have but not at the price point it has.

Last month I bought the 7D. Regardless of what replaces the 7D, it still takes great pictures the way it is. There might not be "enough" of an upgrade to warrant the wait and probable extra price of its replacement. If it does end up being the camera I can't live without then I'll probably save up and get one, but I like being happy right now and not having to depend on future releases.

Others might think I'm foolish for this thinking, but I did what made me happy and I have no regrets. Twice!

-- hide signature --

Alton

NetMage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,887Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alameer, May 31, 2012

You probably would be better off slowing down and composing pictures.

A higher FPS and spray and pray aren't the best way to get good photos (though it does help with cars and airplanes ).

-- hide signature --

-- Please remove the Quote option!
-- Why can't you edit more than once???
-- How about switching to real forum software?

NetMage's gear list:NetMage's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sigma DP1x Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 7D +13 more
deccher
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?

I had this same question recently. I made myself crazy reading all of the rumors, and suspected specs & release dates. Long story short.... I picked up a 7D a few weeks ago (upgraded from 20D), and am EXTREMELY HAPPY. I am excited about taking pics again! Worth every penny to me. Just sorry I didn't do it sooner!

deccher's gear list:deccher's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
Techvet
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to NetMage, May 31, 2012

I just pulled the trigger on a refurbished 7D via the CLP for most of the positive reasons mentioned so far. I was an early adopter of the 60D and had focusing issues from Day 1. I eventually sent it back to Canon out of warranty for some tweaking. The focus issue was fixed, but I now have some exposure issues. Rather than send it back a second time, I'm cutting my losses and jumping on the 7D bandwagon. Truth be told I really wanted the 7D when I bought the 60D, but I let myself get swooned by the shiny new model. Never again! If the 7D MkII comes out tomorrow, it's probably going to have some bugs and I don't want to spend the extra $$ for the privilege of being a beta tester. If I was an early adopter of the 5DMkIII, I'd probably be disappointed to be dealing with them light leak issue. By all accounts the 7D is a great camera. It'll likely be years before I come close to exhausting it's capabilities and right now the price of a CLP refurb 7D is hard to beat.

Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,065Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I buy 7D? or wait for 7D-II? Simple answer:

Yes.

Actually either one is a good choice, but one gets you a great camera today while the other gets you a better camera at a higher price some unknown time in the future.
--
Jeff Peterman

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25
http://www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
glbong42
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?

Alameer wrote:

What restricts me in using the 1100 is the 3 frames per second! I love taking pictures of birds and insects, and 3 is a bit too slow for me.

if you are concern about the FPS of your 1100D, then you should go and buy 7D. This camera is worth it's price. Not only that you'll get the things that you want(e.g. faster fps), you'll also get a big lift in terms of it's performance/image quality.

Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,430Gear list
Like?
In reply to NetMage, May 31, 2012

NetMage wrote:

You probably would be better off slowing down and composing pictures.

A higher FPS and spray and pray aren't the best way to get good photos (though it does help with cars and airplanes ).

As Alameer said, they are interested in birds and insects. The tracking and 8fps of the 7D is great for birds, there is no room to slow down and compose.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Wyville
Like?
Just get the 7D

Alameer wrote:

I am planning to buy a 7D within the next 2 or 3 weeks. But given the rumours about a possible 7D MrkII on the horizon, Should I wait? If so, for how long?

I'm using an 1100D for now, and I'm sick of it, as it restricts me! So I've decided to upgrade to 7D as soon as possible. But I don't really know if I should wait for the 7D-II, or just get the 7D now!

Rumors shouldn't decide what you buy. I ordered the 100-400L this week and that lens has been rumored to be replaced "by the end of the year" for several years now.

Nobody knows what a possible 7DmkII might look like. I like the rumors, but only because I have the 7D and won't be buying anything new anyway. The earliest for the 7DmkII is probably Photokina in September, and then there is a wait before it becomes available, price increase, teething problems...

Just go for it and enjoy the huge step up from the 1100D. I have had my 7D for over two and a half years, and I'm still learning new ways to use it. It's very versatile and will keep you happy for years to come. I know mine will stay a few more years even if a new one comes along. (Unless I win the lottery.)

Be sure to get a fast (and large!) CF card so you can get the most out of the burst capacity of the camera. It's a bit of an extra investment, but worth it. I never used my camera at speed, but when I ordered the 100-400L I also ordered a fast 16GB card because my 8GB would fill up way too fast (using RAW).

Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Starshot
Contributing MemberPosts: 764
Like?

Alameer wrote:

Absolutely wait. You would be buying a practically ancient camera at this point, relatively.

I really can't understand anyone that says "oh just go and buy right now".. probably the same people that tell people to go buy a new iphone today when everyone knows the next one will come out tomorrow etc.

"oh but if you wait for the next one you might as well wait for the one after that".. WHAT? Doesn't make sense.

Wyville
Like?
In reply to Starshot, May 31, 2012

Starshot wrote:

Absolutely wait. You would be buying a practically ancient camera at this point, relatively.

I really can't understand anyone that says "oh just go and buy right now".. probably the same people that tell people to go buy a new iphone today when everyone knows the next one will come out tomorrow etc.

"oh but if you wait for the next one you might as well wait for the one after that".. WHAT? Doesn't make sense.

So you're saying wait for a camera nobody knows anything about, that has no release date, no pricing? Does that make sense?

By your logic people looking for a new 100-400L in 2009 would still be waiting. Or those looking for a Nikon D400 in 2009. Yes, I bought my 7D in 2009 despite being a Nikon user at the time and really wanting the D400 that was certainly to be released soon. Heck, they even had books on the D400 with cover photo's and everything. No, the D400 was a fact of life... Two and a half years later it's still "about to be released".

The 7D is not ancient, has been reduced in price and delivers great images and performance. Most importantly; It's real. And unless Canon announces a very real 7DmkII tomorrow, there is no reason to wait.

qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 8,323Gear list
Like?

Depend on if you can wait 5-10 months, prepare for more price ($500 more at least).

I bypassed 7D and got a used 1D3 instead for action that I never regret. I was not quite convinced by 7D AF and IQ (I know many think it's awesome). But I do need 1.6x crop effective reach sometime so I also bought a 60D (also for its cheaper price and smaller size/weight and articulated LCD).

Personally I am waiting 7D2 only if it contains the new and much better AF (hope the new 61-pt AF engine that has been proved the best from 5D3 and 1DX), improved shadow noise and high ISO. I need it for birding (still trying to build an interest) and Africa safari that I plan to go next year (together with 1D3). My 1D3 only has 10mp and 1.3x is a bit of short sometime and I don't want to spend $4K to replace with a used outdated 16mp 1D4 with 2nd best AF. Then I will sell 60D (still a bit of chunky for wife to carry with in a trip) and replace it with G1X or forthcoming Canon mirrorless for a lite package in traveling (to complement my 5D2 set).

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +18 more
Silverwind
Senior MemberPosts: 1,295
Like?

A lot of good advice has already been given.

You will be asking this question for the rest of your life. Seriuosly. There is always going to be another camera with more and better features. Just like computers, cars, tv's, etc.

Buy the 7D now. Take great pictures with it. Keep if for four years. Use it - extensively. And when a new camera at that time comes out, then buy it if it's worth it. It's what I did with my 20D and then 40D. Now I have a 7D and a T3i. 7D is about a year old and the T3i is brand new. Both have served me well. I won't upgrade for a few years now.

Just a thought.

JBracy
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
In reply to Starshot, May 31, 2012

Are you crazy? "Absolutely wait"!?!?!? The OP said that he NEEDS a new camera because his current camera is not performing to the level that he wants/needs. The 7D is an awesome camera NOW and will continue to be even after (if/when) the mkII is released. There is no guarantee that there will even be a 7DmkII. The 7D is an anomily in the Canon line. I bought mine 9 moths ago amid everyone saying that the mkII would be out by the end of the year and I should just wait. I am very glad that I didn't! And I am considering getting a second body even now.

So yes, if you just want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading then wait. If you have a real need for something then a product that is available today is better than a product that may or may not be available tomorrow. Cameras are not phones. And yes, I do tell people to buy a new iPhone today even if a new one is coming out tomorrow - IF they NEED a phone TODAY.

Starshot wrote:

-- hide signature --

“To the complaint, 'There are no people in these photographs,' I respond, There are always two people: the photographer and the viewer.”
~ Ansel Adams

JBracy's gear list:JBracy's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM
Sam_Oslo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,419Gear list
Like?

I'm in the same boat, and considering to get a 60D, after getting rid of my 550D.

I guess the answer would be simple if you could find more reliable info on those 7D-II-rumors.

550D, 600D, 60D and 7D-price has been falling dramatically, lately. Is this indication on a new generation around the corner? Who knows, maybe 7D-II-rumors holds true.

It's not easy to wait, but I think it's wise to make no move before confirming or dismissing those rumors with more reliable info.

Sam_Oslo's gear list:Sam_Oslo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads