Heading down a different path...

Started May 30, 2012 | Discussions
Agitprop
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?
Heading down a different path...
May 30, 2012

This morning I was looking at some of the posts I made here and the responses those posts generated and I didn’t like what I saw.

I got involved in photography in a big way back when I was 9 years old when my parents bought me a brand new K1000. I can still remember the smell of the film, the satisfying mechanical feel and sound as I turned the advance lever, the elation later when I “discovered” that changing the f-stop would change the feel of the pictures. Before that I was always fascinated with my Dad’s Topcon RE Super, and would sneak into his closet and play with the camera and lenses. I warmly remember my first trip back to the U.K when my grandfather gave me the gift of a Kodak 620 Junior.

The point is that I love photography. That is why I came to DPR and looked into the forums. I didn’t come here to argue about technical suppositions, debate the merits of Panasonic over Olympus, or engage in pedantic discussions about Bokeh, depth of field, equivalence, and the like. Some people love that stuff. Some unfortunates seem to define themselves by it. I for one am done with it.

From this point forward, I’m resolving to do my best to stick to Constructive input. I’m not going to get involved in technical discussions, measurebation, religious discussion (read: Pany Vs. Oly), ‘quivalatin’, whether I’m right, wrong, or (as most of us usually are) somewhere between.

Anyone else want to come along for the ride?

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,559Gear list
Like?
Re: Heading down a different path...
In reply to Agitprop, May 30, 2012

Agitprop wrote:

From this point forward, I’m resolving to do my best to stick to Constructive input. I’m not going to get involved in technical discussions, measurebation, religious discussion (read: Pany Vs. Oly), ‘quivalatin’, whether I’m right, wrong, or (as most of us usually are) somewhere between.

I've been trying to stick with this too.....but it's easy to get sucked in sometimes when things get flying....

I think it is a great idea. That and more photo posts, if people are comfortable with doing them....

-Janet

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 25,254Gear list
Like?

Agitprop wrote:

This morning I was looking at some of the posts I made here and the responses those posts generated and I didn’t like what I saw.

I got involved in photography in a big way back when I was 9 years old when my parents bought me a brand new K1000. I can still remember the smell of the film, the satisfying mechanical feel and sound as I turned the advance lever, the elation later when I “discovered” that changing the f-stop would change the feel of the pictures. Before that I was always fascinated with my Dad’s Topcon RE Super, and would sneak into his closet and play with the camera and lenses. I warmly remember my first trip back to the U.K when my grandfather gave me the gift of a Kodak 620 Junior.

The point is that I love photography. That is why I came to DPR and looked into the forums. I didn’t come here to argue about technical suppositions, debate the merits of Panasonic over Olympus, or engage in pedantic discussions about Bokeh, depth of field, equivalence, and the like. Some people love that stuff. Some unfortunates seem to define themselves by it. I for one am done with it.

I've been trying to take that ride for a bit, but the road is bumpy and there's no seat belts, windows, or doors on this jalopy.

But, what the heck. . . bruises heal, bones mend - why not?

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +17 more
sallygohl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, May 30, 2012

Oh yes, count me in !
Sally
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sallyghl/

sallygohl's gear list:sallygohl's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,295
Like?

Count me in.
I, for one, post a lot of pictures, and I intend on keeping doing just that.

I have two excellents cameras (D90 and GX-1) with good lenses, both with different strengths and weaknesses, but very little limitations. Actually most of the time I'm the limiting factor.

Let's hope for more interesting topics and more civility among posters, it's up to each of us.

Marla.

Oly500Enew
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004Gear list
Like?

I never got involved in those discussions in the first place, but more and more over the years they seem to dominate as this place has decayed. Once a great resource for information and comparison shopping (well it still is good for that), it has slowly degraded. Many of the really good inspirational photographers who would post their photos have moved on and replaced by amateurs and 100% crops of poorly lit walls, "first shots with " and endless banter about FF vs 4/3, 4/3 dying, scandals, amazon shipping updates, I just ordered threads, which should I buy and whining about lugs and hums, other boring pointless threads. The gear obsession has even trickled into flickr groups that used to be more about photography too. Once a respite from the endless measurebating, no longer.

I left here for a while and came back when the OMD was announced to gain info and make a purchase decision and now that I have done that, I wonder why I waste my time lurking sometimes.

Some threads are like a bad car wreck and you just have to look to see how stupid it gets.
--
I'm not a professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.

http://www.2112photography.net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21868346@N00/

Oly500Enew's gear list:Oly500Enew's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
SuvoMitra
Contributing MemberPosts: 796
Like?

Your thoughts appeal to me. I have two 35mm film cameras, a Nikon FE2 and a Leica M2 (the latter is actually on a somewhat indefinite loan, but that's not relevant). I haven't been using these much, but there is something about their mechanics that's special and different. The film advance lever is Jurassic tech now that we're discussing 5-axis IS, OLED VFs and what not, but something got lost in all this progress. Really good photographs used to come through intimate handling of tactile dials, levers, and barrels. There was muscle memory and the visual pulse of needles moving and matching as light was metered. The camera could do little for the image; the photographer had to do a lot.

I've also been thinking about old tech since I got a Fuji X100 a few days ago. I haven't felt this involved in the act of taking pictures in a long time. The X100 may be visually nostalgic, but technically it's anything but that. However, the lens barrel has to be rotated to set the aperture and the exposure compensation dial clicks notch by notch. That viewfinder makes something different out of composing. It all brings you into the process a bit like those old cameras used to. I have ended up turning off image review, and then turning off the LCD as well. Maybe, like you, I'm starting off on a different path as well.

-- hide signature --
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,010Gear list
Like?

Agitprop wrote:

The point is that I love photography. That is why I came to DPR and looked into the forums.

Same here.

Good idea. Over time it gets easier to ignore predictable, bloviating threads. Even just reading them can be a waste of energy.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
tomnorth
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?

Amen!

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
Crocodile tears......

let's get real.

First this is a gear forum and somewhat unusual in that it has multiple brands wich attract people from differernt formats so there is going to be a lot of technical headbutting compared to a homogenous forum of one brand owners.

Second, let's get real. When it comes to posting photo threads, and I have certiantly posted my share, and uneasy feeling comes over a lot of us. We are afraid to participate and here is why:

There are some very good photographerrs here and when they post the only thing you can say is great-how did you do that? You can learn a lot from those threads and they are very valuable. Problem is they are rare.

Much more common is someone posting, "see here how great my photo's are, C&C welcome" and really they are not great. They are not even good. So you comment, "hey these are not very good, here is what is wrong with them and/or here is how to fix them". Then the wailing, shouting and insults fly, "how dare you criticize so and so's photo's-you are not Ansel Adams, etc." and then evrybody just wants to leave to room.

So, very few want to post photothreads becuase either they are going to get syncophantic worthless priase, or OTOH, the OP is going to get offended becuase somebody gave them an honest oppion.

Either way, you lose.

You people have created this environment with your thin skins and easily bruised egos. You have no one to blame but yourselves, and now you are crying crocodile tears.

Tedolph, RIP

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
efg40
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,176Gear list
Like?

Good for you OP. You may find life a little more boring, but much less ugly and more peaceful.

I always stay out of argument here. It reminds me too much of my 13 and 16 year old right now, who can argue over ANYTHING, ANYTIME! I don't need that here too.

I also do not discuss politics with my mother-in-law.

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

efg40's gear list:efg40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Agitprop
Like?
Re: Crocodile tears......
In reply to tedolf, May 30, 2012

Thanks for your input Tedolf. We can agree to disagree. If I resolve to continue down the high road, and people lambaste me for it, it will say more about them than me, won't it?

ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,440
Like?
In reply to Agitprop, May 31, 2012

Agitprop wrote:

The point is that I love photography. That is why I came to DPR and looked into the forums. I didn’t come here to argue about technical suppositions, debate the merits of Panasonic over Olympus, or engage in pedantic discussions about Bokeh, depth of field, equivalence, and the like.

From this point forward, ... I’m not going to get involved in technical discussions, measurebation, religious discussion (read: Pany Vs. Oly), ‘quivalatin’, whether I’m right, wrong, or (as most of us usually are) somewhere between.

If your love is for photography and not measurbation etc then you came to wrong place. If your resolution is to moving forward not get engaged in measurbation etc you are likely to find much better ground for that elsewhere.

ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,440
Like?
In reply to tedolf, May 31, 2012

tedolf wrote:

let's get real.

First this is a gear forum and somewhat unusual in that it has multiple brands wich attract people from differernt formats so there is going to be a lot of technical headbutting compared to a homogenous forum of one brand owners.

Second, let's get real. When it comes to posting photo threads, and I have certiantly posted my share, and uneasy feeling comes over a lot of us. We are afraid to participate and here is why:

There are some very good photographerrs here and when they post the only thing you can say is great-how did you do that? You can learn a lot from those threads and they are very valuable. Problem is they are rare.

Much more common is someone posting, "see here how great my photo's are, C&C welcome" and really they are not great. They are not even good. So you comment, "hey these are not very good, here is what is wrong with them and/or here is how to fix them". Then the wailing, shouting and insults fly, "how dare you criticize so and so's photo's-you are not Ansel Adams, etc." and then evrybody just wants to leave to room.

So, very few want to post photothreads becuase either they are going to get syncophantic worthless priase, or OTOH, the OP is going to get offended becuase somebody gave them an honest oppion.

Either way, you lose.

You people have created this environment with your thin skins and easily bruised egos. You have no one to blame but yourselves, and now you are crying crocodile tears.

First you talk about being afraid to participate and then you talk about thin skin and easily bruised egos? And then you of all people talk about shedding crocodile tears? Stench of hypocrisy soaked in crocodile tears coming from your direction is so strong that it has overwhelmed Los Angeles smog all the way from Seattle.

benarden
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?

Agitprop wrote:

I got involved in photography in a big way back when I was 9 years old when my parents bought me a brand new K1000. I can still remember the smell of the film, the satisfying mechanical feel and sound as I turned the advance lever, the elation later when I “discovered” that changing the f-stop would change the feel of the pictures.

Kodak 35MM rangefinder when I was twelve/
r.

The point is that I love photography.

• Sure !

itairom
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?

The "best" thing is when these well-intentioned, positive threads get derailed into the most intense, disgusting flamefests of all. I see this thread is already on its way there; time to grab the popcorn!

tedolf
Like?

Agitprop wrote:

Thanks for your input Tedolf. We can agree to disagree. If I resolve to continue down the high road, and people lambaste me for it, it will say more about them than me, won't it?

You totally missed the point.

As long as you people continue to attack legitimate criticism and offer insincere prais you are never going to have a vibrant community.

Tedolph, RIP

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
tedolf
Like?
In reply to ZoranC, May 31, 2012

ZoranC wrote:

tedolf wrote:

let's get real.

Either way, you lose.

First you talk about being afraid to participate and then you talk about thin skin and easily bruised egos? And then you of all people talk about shedding crocodile tears? Stench of hypocrisy soaked in crocodile tears coming from your direction is so strong that it has overwhelmed Los Angeles smog all the way from Seattle.

How so?

When have I ever said "I am offended"?

When have I ever said "you do not have the right to criticize me"?

Go ahead, link to the post.

Tedolph, RIP

Agitprop
Like?
In reply to itairom, May 31, 2012

itairom wrote:

The "best" thing is when these well-intentioned, positive threads get derailed into the most intense, disgusting flamefests of all. I see this thread is already on its way there; time to grab the popcorn!

All it takes is to not rise to the bait.

tedolf
Like?
Actually I agree...
In reply to ZoranC, May 31, 2012

ZoranC wrote:

Agitprop wrote:

The point is that I love photography. That is why I came to DPR and looked into the forums. I didn’t come here to argue about technical suppositions, debate the merits of Panasonic over Olympus, or engage in pedantic discussions about Bokeh, depth of field, equivalence, and the like.

From this point forward, ... I’m not going to get involved in technical discussions, measurebation, religious discussion (read: Pany Vs. Oly), ‘quivalatin’, whether I’m right, wrong, or (as most of us usually are) somewhere between.

If your love is for photography and not measurbation etc then you came to wrong place. If your resolution is to moving forward not get engaged in measurbation etc you are likely to find much better ground for that elsewhere.

with ZoranC (blare the trumpets!) on this point.

This forum is measurbation heaven!

Tedolph, RIP

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads