Wide Angle Options

Started May 30, 2012 | Discussions
tellapan
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Wide Angle Options
May 30, 2012

Hi, I'm looking for guidance on wide angle lenses for my D90. I've read good things about the Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM and the Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM. I guess the trade off is between a faster but "narrower" 10mm-20mm or a slower but wider 8mm to 16mm. Anyone have any experience of them?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,768Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide Angle Options
In reply to tellapan, May 30, 2012

tellapan wrote:

Hi, I'm looking for guidance on wide angle lenses for my D90. I've read good things about the Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM and the Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM. I guess the trade off is between a faster but "narrower" 10mm-20mm or a slower but wider 8mm to 16mm. Anyone have any experience of them?

Thanks in advance

Andy

I own the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM and am very happy with it's performance. However, I have to say I rarely go above 16mm with this lens and often wish I could go wider. If money is not an issue, I recommend the Sigma 8-16mm for the ultimate in an UWA lens.

Some shots with my Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM.

-- hide signature --

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! The Great Oz has spoken!"

• Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonikon
Like?

tellapan wrote:

Thanks in advance

Andy

Hi Andy,

I own the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM and am very happy with it's performance. However, I have to say I rarely go above 16mm with this lens and often wish I could go wider. If money is not an issue, I recommend the Sigma 8-16mm for the ultimate in an UWA lens.

Best regards,
Jon

Some shots with my Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM.

-- hide signature --

• Jon

Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
ShooterNikon
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?

the old sigma 10-20 is probably the best deal out there in terms of value

the sigma 8-16 is an absolutle FREAK of a lens
it's sharp as hell and satisfyingly wide

one negative about the 8-16,
it clear the trade-offs sigma chose to accept with this lens are extreme
the complex perspective distortion at 8mm is the most pronounced I've ever seen

basically don't shoot people on the borders of the frame, buildings, or anything remotely straight at 8mm. you won't be able to fix it in post.

that said the 8-16 is built like a little grenade
it's compact and dense as hell

this is a prime example of the "new" sigma
great stuff coming out of them these days

tellapan
Like?
In reply to jonikon, May 31, 2012

Those are beautiful shots and thanks for the advice

tellapan
Like?
In reply to ShooterNikon, May 31, 2012

So, go for the 8 to 16 but stay away from buildings at 8mm

tellapan
Like?
In reply to ShooterNikon, May 31, 2012

One further point - sorry - I've just been reading a little more on the 8-16 and it appears the hood is permanently fixed to the lens with no thread. This being the case can I assume using filters is not possible. At the moment I use cockin filters which as I'm sure you know slide into a mout that screws on to the front of the lens

Thanks for your input

Andy

Riker D
Contributing MemberPosts: 787
Like?
In reply to tellapan, May 31, 2012

I use the Tokina 12-2 F4 lens. After reviewing the write ups on the web it was said to be sharper that the Sigma 10-20 4.5-5.6 which I owned when I was using a Sony system and the A700 - A550. The tokina is built better and is a straight F4 (no variable f stop) and is in a metal body. My copy of the Sigma 10-20 was very sharpe but so is my Tokina. The resolving power of the Tokina shows up when you zoom in at 70% on a pic. This is when the Tokina shows up the Sigma with sharper images. Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Photo eye

fireplace33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219Gear list
Like?

I have the 8-16 and I'm very pleased with it. Good to be able to use the 8mm.

The fact that it is slower doesn't seem to matter for me, for this lens; it's not usual (for me) to go looking for very low DOF subject separation with a super wide angle lens. Usually, for me, the opposite would be the case trying to increase the DOF. So a low F number is not that important here.

It is true that filters can not be attached, however I have handheld filters in front of it, which works just about if you can avoid light reflecting off the filter and into the lens from behind you.

I also made a push-fit adaptor to slide over the hood to hold ND grad type filters which works OK, but could be better, it still catches reflections from behind but I can shield with my hand or anything available.

Here is a shot with the sigma 8-16 plus a handheld ND grad filter.
It was taken at about 10mm then cropped to 16 x 9 format

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +10 more
jonikon
Like?

tellapan wrote:

Those are beautiful shots and thanks for the advice

Thank you, and your most welcome!

I should tell you that I had previously owned an older version of the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC in a Sony mount with screw drive instead of HSM and thought it was OK, but not great. However, when I switched to Nikon, I bought the latest HSM version of this lens and was surprised to find a better build, better finish and improved lens coatings and, a sharper lens, (with my copy at least).

At the time I bought my Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM through Amazon.com, I had a newly purchased Tokina 11-16 f2.8 in-hand, but was not pleased with it, so I ordered the Sigma for comparison. After a few minutes of comparing images from the two lenses side-by-side, it was obvious the Sigma was the optically superior lens, and it was an easy choice to send the Tokina back. I also saved almost two hundred dollars too, which made me smile!

(BTW, Sorry for the double post. The DPReview server was acting up at the time and there was no indication my first post ever made it, so after a while I sent another. Not sure what was going on there at the time though.)
--

• Jon

draacor
Contributing MemberPosts: 881Gear list
Like?

I had the Sigma 10-20mm but returned it. The actual performance was fine but it wouldn't auto focus in Live View with my D7000. I checked with them and they wanted me to send them my lens and camera so they could do a firmware upgrade to the lens. Honestly it didn't sit right with me. I'm not saying they wouldn't have done the job but I have beef with something i just bought and doesn't work as described out of the box. I returned it and decided it was worth the extra cash to stick with Nikon. So I bought the Nikon 10-24mm. Heck one of the biggest reasons people choose Nikon is for their glass. Best decision i ever made because its a wonderful lens.

tellapan wrote:

Thanks in advance

Andy

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalimpact

draacor's gear list:draacor's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
tellapan
Like?
In reply to fireplace33, May 31, 2012

Thanks for the advice, how did you make the holder work; thats a beautiful picture by the way

fireplace33
Like?
In reply to tellapan, Jun 1, 2012

Glad you liked the photo

The push fit adapter for the 8-16 was made for me by my father; it seems like he can do anything like that!
I'll take some photos of it and post them at the weekend.

Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +10 more
knightmelodic
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
In reply to draacor, Jun 1, 2012

Just my .02: had the siggy 10-20 and wasn't overly impressed. Same with the Nikkor strangely enough. I know a large number of Tokinas have reported problems, but if you get a good on no other UW comes close. That f2.8 is awsome. Remember to fine tune AF on all lenses.
--
Just keep clicking, something will turn out fantastic.

Nikon D7000 w/ MB-D11, SB-600, Nikon 18-105mm f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 35mm f1.8, Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II , Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Nikon TC-20E III 2x

knightmelodic's gear list:knightmelodic's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
jonikon
Like?
In reply to draacor, Jun 2, 2012

draacor wrote:

I had the Sigma 10-20mm but returned it. The actual performance was fine but it wouldn't auto focus in Live View with my D7000. I checked with them and they wanted me to send them my lens and camera so they could do a firmware upgrade to the lens. Honestly it didn't sit right with me. I'm not saying they wouldn't have done the job but I have beef with something i just bought and doesn't work as described out of the box. I returned it and decided it was worth the extra cash to stick with Nikon. So I bought the Nikon 10-24mm. Heck one of the biggest reasons people choose Nikon is for their glass. Best decision i ever made because its a wonderful lens.

Sigma has resolved this issue with this lens. I bought my Sigma 10-20 over a year ago and it focuses fine in Live View on my D7000. No doubt the Nikon 10-24 is a fine lens, but at twice the price, it is not really an economically viable alternative for those less well heeled.
--

• Jon

fireplace33
Like?
In reply to fireplace33, Jun 4, 2012

Here is the promised custom sigma 8-16 filter holder
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1047&thread=41698212

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads