New G1-x images - this camera continues to impress

Started May 29, 2012 | Discussions
Peter Bendheim
Senior MemberPosts: 2,053Gear list
Like?
New G1-x images - this camera continues to impress
May 29, 2012

The more I use this camera the more I realize what a professional tool this is for travel and documentary and landscape photography....

It's NO brick, or the same as the G11 in image quality as some suggest --- and all the other "blah" that has occupied postings and long-winded threads here at this forum for the last week.

It's an extraordinary tool. The colour and quality of the images from it is simply wonderful. It feels good and solid in the hand and is therefore easy to hold still.. It's unobtrusive. I leave it set at auto ISO with complete confidence. For a compact that is sure a first for me.

I've been a Nikon professional all my life, so I'm no Canon fanboy -- so for me this camera has been a real eye opener and is a credit to Canon. Reading the reviews from some quarters, I think it's just one of the most misunderstood cameras around.

As photographers we should stop expecting our cameras to be multi-purpose tools like a Leatherrman. This may not be a fast sports-shooters camera, but it's really great at the other stuff. 10/10 Canon.

I'm loving using it and feel very relaxed with the experience.

Sorry but you will need to view these on my site. I don't want to inconvenience anyone, but I'm anal about image size, sharpening, etc.Please feel free to comment all you like...

Here's the link -
http://www.peterbendheim.com/fairground-attraction/

-- hide signature --
 Peter Bendheim's gear list:Peter Bendheim's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +1 more
Canon PowerShot G11
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris Lofty
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?
Re: New G1-x images - this camera continues to impress
In reply to Peter Bendheim, May 29, 2012

Fantastic Gallery and it's good to hear and see positive comments regarding the G1X!

I'm still 'getting used' to mine but am not disappointed; just learning a different technique.

I must admit I'm extremely baffled and angry at all the negative remarks that this camera seems to generate.

Are you shooting in RAW and PP?
--
Chrislofotos
http://www.chrislofotos.com

Chris Lofty's gear list:Chris Lofty's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tombell1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,841Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris Lofty, May 29, 2012

REALLY good images .....
--
Tom Bell
Dartmoor
Devon

http://flickr.com/photos/tombell1

tombell1's gear list:tombell1's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
Peter Bendheim
Like?
In reply to Chris Lofty, May 29, 2012

Thanks for the comments...yes, always RAW and PP with Canon's DPP and therafter a bit of Photoshop, but actually not much PP, quit a bit less so than with my Nikon DSLR files...
--
Peter Bendheim
http://www.peterbendheim.com

Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +1 more
krugman
Contributing MemberPosts: 927Gear list
Like?

Peter,

Wow! Great shots illustrating your second blog on the G1X! Thanks for posting them.

The Images you have posted here resolve doubts about the G1x for me. I am enjoying using mine.

Basically the G1x gives SLR quality and a some of the SLR versatility, in a compact camera.

For me , the underlying tradeoff in choosing cameras is between convenience and image quality. I want shirt pocket convenience and SLR image quality and versatility. Burt I can't have both, so I have to compromise. Each person can choose a spot on this dimension that is comfortable for them.

I am sorry to sacrifice the pocketability of my G12 in moving to the G1x, but the gain in image quality of the G1x at all ISOs makes it worthwhile for the kind of travel and urban photography I do.

Your gallery demonstrates the image quality beautifully.

Krugman

Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,978Gear list
Like?

Excellent pictures. The one I thought was most interesting was the third-last (?) which showed a woman's legs in pushed up jeans and stilettos next to her childs which were in sneakers. What a well timed and well composed shot.
--
Regards,

Marco Nero.
http://www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Peter Bendheim
Like?
Thanks, and
In reply to krugman, May 30, 2012

..much appreciated.

Easily carried is probably my idea of portability. My way of working is probably a bit odd or eccentric for most. The first thing I do is ditch the neckstrap. Even my big camera, my D3s and D700 are on simple wrist straps, as neck straps make me feel I'm about to be strangled and inhibit my movement. Odd, I know but I haven't used a neckstrap in at least a decade. Also, I never put a camera in my pocket - I think (and I may be wrong) that all the sensor dust, lens errors, scratched LCD's etc often originate from dusty, linty pockets with the odd bit of loose change,keys etc. I carry a simple shoulder bag with a compact that's easily accessible.

Finally, I must have owned about 30 compacts over the years always hoping that one would be the magic bullet. I can truthfully say that I've only ever considered 2 images from them worth publishing or exhibiting. What a waste of cash! But with the G1-x I've finally found a trustworthy camera that will take images of sufficient quality and is for me...portable enough.
--
Peter Bendheim

Peter Bendheim
Like?
In reply to Marco Nero, May 30, 2012

Thanks, Marco. And it just managed to focus in time for that leg shot, just
--
Peter Bendheim

linzybel
Regular MemberPosts: 320Gear list
Like?
Dumbfounded
In reply to Peter Bendheim, May 30, 2012

Wow.

Just Wow. Great shots with colors that are rich but not over-saturated and edges that are sharp but not artificial. I admire your touch with the camera and the software. I've been slow to transition to digital because so much of what I see looks garish and fake.

If you were in the U.S. and I could afford time and $, I would RUN to take lessons from you. Congratulations and thank you for showing me that there's hope...

nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,326Gear list
Like?

Peter - I appreciate your post. I've been on the fence about the G1X for a little while. It's always good to hear from someone with real-world experience. I also want to know about the negatives of the camera as well, but they only have merit coming from an owner (it seems all the trashing comes from those who never owned one).

I'll watch for more posts from you, please continue to state the good and the not-so-good.

-- hide signature --

Larry
http://www.pbase.com/fernley

I'm experimenting with Quantum Physics and I just discovered that I can completely destr

peter_friend
Contributing MemberPosts: 820
Like?

Fantastic photographies and amazing blogue!

Thank you for sharing!

Perer.

mcslsk
Contributing MemberPosts: 981Gear list
Like?

Peter, very impressive images in terms of both, subject and quality. I am not good at taking images of people on the street (better at landscapes and stills) because I kind of feel like an intruder. Will try this more with the G1X because using it is more discrete. Glad to see that you images prove those wrong that say the G1X is way too slow to do any of what you have done.

Michael

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 G1 X II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
Vaughn T.Winfree
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,988Gear list
Like?

Great pics... Thanks for sharing..
--
Vaughn T. Winfree

'Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening.
Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's
heaven on earth.' --Mark Twain

'See what the camera see's. Let the lens interpret what can be. Capture a moment in time telling a story.'--Vaughn T. Winfree

Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list:Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S100 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN
Peter Bendheim
Like?
In reply to mcslsk, May 30, 2012

Thanks a lot, yes it does allow you to work quite discreetly, many more times so than a DSLR. Having said that, I'm not at all sneaky when I take shots, because that would be invasive. But most people don't notice a smaller camera, that's probably why Leica remains the tool of choice of the (unfortunately, loaded) street photographer. You just need the courage to do it, and the sense to back off when it doesn't feel right.
--
Peter Bendheim

Peter Bendheim
Like?
Re: Dumbfounded
In reply to linzybel, May 30, 2012

Thanks so much. Getting natural images is easier than you think. I seldom alter any color - it's really about resisting the temptation to overdo things - such as overly dramatic sunsets, etc. Unfortunately, there are so many millions of images that flood the internet everyday, I think there is a understandable tendency to want to make an image "stick out". In the end though, I think the content should tell the story rather than effects or colors.
--
Peter Bendheim

Chris DeVeau
Contributing MemberPosts: 605
Like?

Great pictures and thanks for sharing!

I do agree with what you are saying - I love mine but will nonetheless admit the camera has a few minor flaws such as the horrible neck strap, the OVF which could be improved on and that pesky video button. But overall? this camera is really an awesome tool for all the reasons you and Marco mention.

I bought a G12 last year for when my 7D was just too much, but was a bit disappointed with the IQ. I'm definitely not disappointed with the G1X - it complements my 7D perfectly. I even find myself leaving the 7D behind more often as I feel that there is not so much of a compromise anymore.
--
Chris

beldar
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to Chris DeVeau, May 30, 2012

I am just getting started with the G1X but think that its a great camera. I like having a large back illuminated CMOS sensor in such a small package. Here are some beginning images

-- hide signature --

beldar

biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904Gear list
Like?

Some good photos in there. I am ina similar situation as yourself, as I just started using the G1X. I am very familiar to the Canon G series, having used several in the past.

In a way, the G1X is a natural evolution in the series; take the G's strong points (excellent lens and plenty of manual controls in a solid body) and "just" add a big sensor, and you would have a winner.

So we have a large sensored compact that is still small and comfortable to carry, with a useful zoom lens range, plus high image quality. Sure, the AF could be a bit faster, and the lens could focus a bit closer; but these are things that I can live with. I can anticipate the moment and pre-focus, and I can switch to macro focus range for getting closer focus.

What is missing in my pudding is for LR4 to have the G!X lens profile corrections, but that is another story...
--
http://www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
John TF
Contributing MemberPosts: 802
Like?

Peter Bendheim wrote:

The more I use this camera the more I realize what a professional tool this is for travel and documentary and landscape photography....

It's NO brick, or the same as the G11 in image quality as some suggest.

It's an extraordinary tool. The colour and quality of the images from it is simply wonderful... I think it's just one of the most misunderstood cameras around.

Peter:

Your gallery is wonderful - thanks. Quite eye-opening to a G1X non-owner.

I am one of those who has had a hard time seeing the superiority of G1X images (vs. G/S series) IN GOOD LIGHT AND ISO LESS THAN 800. Yours are some of the best images I have seen, and the question (as always) is whether their excellence is due to the camera or the eye and care of the photographer. You clearly feel that in addition to your input the camera's IQ itself is much superior. So I would appreciate your opinion on a few specific aspects of IQ:

Clearly the G1X is great for high ISO, sharpness and resolution. But you also say that "The colour ... is simply wonderful". Since you shoot RAW, isn't the color a matter of PP rather than something inherent in the camera (or am I missing something?).

When you say "The .. quality of the images from it is simply wonderful" are you referring to factors other than high ISO, sharpness and resolution (since sharpness and resolution are quite good in G/S as well)?

Dynamic range, for example, does not seem to be superior, unfortunately, at least according to bench tests.

Do you see a bigger difference hands-on and in priints than in the posted images we are all looking at, which would explain why I don't see it?

Bottom line: What is it that you feel distinguishes this camera so clearly from the G/S cameras (of course with the good light/low ISO caveat)?

Thanks for your input.

-- hide signature --

John TF

gail
Forum ProPosts: 13,363Gear list
Like?
Questions

Peter Bendheim wrote:

You've taken some wonderful photos. Yes, the G1X is certainly the right tool with the right ergonomics, features and speed for your style of photography.

Some questions:

When you do street photography, do you ask permission before you take a photograph? If not, when faces are shown in photographs, do you get permission from individuals before posting them online? I would like to try some street photography but am unclear about these aspects of it. Any insights would be appreciated.

Also, I found your comments about the Nikon V1 interesting as I have a huge interest in this camera, particularly because of it's focus speed and accuracy. But, as you point out, it does have some quirks.

Now, if the focus and speed performance of the Nikon 1 and the sensor size of the G1X could be found in one camera, that would be some camera! Wonder who will get there first: Nikon or Canon?

gail's gear list:gail's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS M
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads