Need advice: 45/1.8 how to PP glare?

Started May 29, 2012 | Discussions
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,751
Like?
Need advice: 45/1.8 how to PP glare?
May 29, 2012

Could anyone advice me on how to remove the glare in the hair? The overall glare can be removed via contrast and clarity, but those lines in the hair are a problem.

pete swanson
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Re: Need advice: 45/1.8 how to PP glare?
In reply to Timur Born, May 29, 2012

Hi try the burn tool set an opacity of 4 and select the shadow mode. I have no doubt you will receive more advice from others.
Pete.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ginsbu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420Gear list
Like?

Can't help regarding PP, but for the future: Were you using a hood for this shot? The 45/1.8 can definitely benefit from one.

ginsbu's gear list:ginsbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +12 more
Timur Born
Like?
In reply to ginsbu, May 29, 2012

No I only noticed the glare after taking 2 shots, then held my hand above the lens, but decided to just change position to another angle. But this is a good opportunity to learn how to deal with these kind of things for the future. Shooting doesn't always go perfect but some content is worth working on it in post.

Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,721Gear list
Like?

Timur, a quick and dirty fix may be to simply lift the shadows. Its a high key image and there is no shadow elsewhere other than in the hair so lifting the shadows may be an easy way to minimise the problem and lighten those dark lines.

Timur Born wrote:

Could anyone advice me on how to remove the glare in the hair? The overall glare can be removed via contrast and clarity, but those lines in the hair are a problem.

-- hide signature --

S100 (MIA), S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11 (Retired), F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

Timur Born
Like?
In reply to Wellington100, May 29, 2012

Great idea, I will try that. Thanks for the hint. Good practice in finding out if a LR4 license is something to shelve money out for (still using betas and LR wasn't so perfect for the X10 files I used before).

Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,721Gear list
Like?

Timur Born wrote:

Great idea, I will try that. Thanks for the hint. Good practice in finding out if a LR4 license is something to shelve money out for (still using betas and LR wasn't so perfect for the X10 files I used before).

heh heh, you are talking to a Mac guy so I would simply do the job in iPhoto, though I am going to try out Aperture very shortly.
--

S100 (MIA), S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11 (Retired), F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wellington100, May 30, 2012

Personnally I have always found it very difficult to eliminate such ghosting : yes, I'd try to lighten the shadow of the ghost, but you may the get a border at the limit of it, which may be worse than the original. The difference in color may also become more apparent.

In the present picture, the ghost is not too strong, so you may be able to salvage it.

As already said, the best solution is to recent them of occurring, using a hood. You can easily find a cheaper one than the Olympus original on EBay : look using this path :

Photo & video/lenses/lenses accessories/hoods, then make a search in this category using the Olympus keyword and the name of the original Olympus hood or that oh the lens.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Timur Born
Like?
In reply to Wellington100, May 30, 2012

Working on a Macbook Pro here, but mostly using Windows. Unfortunately the shadows trick didn't work, because the brighter glare lines were still within the shadows region and thus affected by the same slider.

In opted to darken the glare and surrounding hair instead to get rid of it. Looks a bit as if my boy has darker hair now, but because of the shadow it doesn't look too unnatural. Overall I might have overdone the contrast and clarity, but that's easily corrected.

AV Janus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,815Gear list
Like?
In reply to Timur Born, May 30, 2012

Much better now. The original looked washed out.
Pulling down the left part of the curves line usually helps with that.

--
Rick Halle wrote:

" Keep in mind that tall buildings sway back and forth so they require faster shutter speeds."

AV Janus's gear list:AV Janus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Timur Born
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, May 30, 2012

rrr_hhh wrote:

Personnally I have always found it very difficult to eliminate such ghosting : yes, I'd try to lighten the shadow of the ghost, but you may the get a border at the limit of it, which may be worse than the original. The difference in color may also become more apparent.

I tried that, but the border was indeed a problem and overall I wanted to get away from the milky cover anyway, so I opted for darkening the ghosting and surrounding area itself.

As already said, the best solution is to recent them of occurring, using a hood. You can easily find a cheaper one than the Olympus original on EBay : look using this path :

Thanks for the link and of course you are right. When I bought the lens I already looked for hoods, but I first wanted to decide whether to keep the E-M5 and then the lens before shelving out more money. Do you think a collapsible design bears any advantages?

Also have to check how good this can be combined with ND filters, because I often find myself either needing fill-flash or having to post-process the face area (wearing caps to protect from the sun). But fill-flash bumps me against the flash sync limit of "only" 1/250 (no such limit on my X10).

Timur Born
Like?
In reply to pete swanson, May 30, 2012

pete swanson wrote:

Hi try the burn tool set an opacity of 4 and select the shadow mode. I have no doubt you will receive more advice from others.
Pete.

Hi Pete! Which software were you referring to (aka Burn Tool of what)?

joeletx
Contributing MemberPosts: 828Gear list
Like?

Even with hood on, glare is sometime unavoidable. But I found easy way to remove it using Photoshop or LR. Just pull up the histogram and adjust on the left side of the bell shaped figure to remove space at the foot of the curve. You can do the same on the right side (shadow) too if necessary. Use the slide and play with it.

Joe

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +5 more
ginsbu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420Gear list
Like?

I use this hood and am happy with it: http://r.ebay.com/DWV3dC The front is threaded for 46mm caps/filters.

Having used the collapsable rubber hoods for film lenses, I'm not a fan. They add substantially to the diameter of the lens making for a less tidy package. Others seem to really like them, though.

ginsbu's gear list:ginsbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +12 more
rrr_hhh
Like?
In reply to ginsbu, May 30, 2012

ginsbu wrote:

I use this hood and am happy with it: http://r.ebay.com/DWV3dC The front is threaded for 46mm caps/filters.

Having used the collapsable rubber hoods for film lenses, I'm not a fan. They add substantially to the diameter of the lens making for a less tidy package. Others seem to really like them, though.

I'm not a fan of collapsible rubber hoods either. They add volume and weight too. The Olympus hoods is made of light plastic and you can reverse it to store it. There are several copies available for cheap on Ebay. The part name of the Olympus hood is LH-40B and making a search with that name, here is what I got :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Olympus+LH-40B&_sacat=78999&_odkw=Olympus+pen&_osacat=78999&LH_PrefLoc=2

I'd add that I have the original one (didn't know how to find the copies when I ordered one). However I have ordered a cheap copy for the 40-150mm and often it doesn't plug right on the first time. But the 40-150mm unlike the 45mm has a very large diameter which makes fitting more difficult. Anyway, the price of the original hoods is so high that I won't bother getting an original next time I need one. In fact I have already ordered a cheap one for the new 12-50mm which I haven't yet got.
--
rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh
Like?
In reply to joeletx, May 30, 2012

joeletx wrote:

Even with hood on, glare is sometime unavoidable. But I found easy way to remove it using Photoshop or LR. Just pull up the histogram and adjust on the left side of the bell shaped figure to remove space at the foot of the curve. You can do the same on the right side (shadow) too if necessary. Use the slide and play with it.

Well what you describe would work well if by glare you intend low contrast. However his problem is more like ghosting than low contrast. Although he could add some contrast.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Timur Born
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, May 30, 2012

rrr_hhh wrote:

Well what you describe would work well if by glare you intend low contrast. However his problem is more like ghosting than low contrast. Although he could add some contrast.

I already posted a high contrast version some posts earlier, and in my first post mentioned contrast and clarity to overcome the overall lack of contrast (aka milky covering).

Maybe you could take a look at let me know how to balance it some better?! I feel I went a bit over the top, but cannot get much lower without revealing ghosting again. On the other hand I also like grittier and more vintage looking images.

pete swanson
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?

I was talking about Photoshop or Elements, but most software of this type have a dodge and burn tool.

Antara
Senior MemberPosts: 1,164
Like?
USM 20/60 In PS will do the trick

-then mask if you just want it to apply to hair-
Antara
http://antara.smugmug.com

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,844Gear list
Like?

use a burn brush
lighten the density of the brush so it doesn't have any firm edges
limit opacity to 15% or so, work the opacity up if you need to
experiment with how its applied, highlight or shadow..

in this sort of thing, less is more. So take it easy...

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads