Marc Sabatella
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,679
Like?
Re: Pentax appeal
In reply to Wheatfield, May 30, 2012

Wheatfield wrote:

Till you've tried quality 3rd party glass maybe you'd believe what you said
But try the

Sigma 85 1.4, 50 1.4, 300 F2.8, 500 f4.5, 400 telemacro and I sure you'd change your mind

Not using 3rd party glass is like chopping off your left arm because your right handed.

You don't get it. Those lenses are all available in mounts for cameras that have much higher performance standards than Pentax.

In certain ways that matter to certain people, perhaps. But how many of those cameras with "higher performance standards" will offer stabilization with any of those lenses? How many of them offer weather sealed bodies at the same price points as Pentax? How many of them offer those standards in a size comparable to the Pentax bodies you might be comparing against? How many even offer a Green button, much less Sv or TAv modes, or hyper program / manual modes? How many meter with older lenses? How many can even mount older lenses? How many offer a AA option?

There is more to life than AF speed. Some people actually care about these other factors a lot. So it is just plain wrong to say there are no reasons other than Pentax lenses to use Pentax. They are but one (well, many, actually) of a number of reasons. So you personally don't care about about anything but lenses and, apparently, AF speed (the only respect in which I can imagine you would be claiming the D7000 "runs circles" around the K-5). Others care about about much more.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MGJA
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
In reply to Egglestonworks, May 30, 2012

This is surely individual. For me, the reason I just can't do without Pentax is simple:

Catch-in-focus.

Since I shoot extensively with manual glass - mostly prime - that one feature makes all the difference in the world. I simply could not live without it.

Other than that, the affordable weather sealing, in body stabilization - also a must of all those awesome old manual primes - and the green button metering for manual are all the sort of features that I miss instantly whenever I try a Canon or Nikon.

Others will have other priorities. But for me, it's all about catch-in-focus, really. The best, fastest and most accurate manual focus assist system ever, better than focus peaking, better than range finders, better than focus split screen.

And manual makes me feel like a photographer, not a tourist.

tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 2,593Gear list
Like?
Small & good entry-level (up to now)
In reply to MGJA, May 30, 2012

The Pentax K-X and K-r were particularly small, felt good, had faster burst than Canon or Nikon.

In particular the K-r had micro-AF adjustment and relatively fast CDAF live view focus.

They were the nicest entry-level DSLRs. I am sure they helped keep peopel coming into the brand.

I am not sure there are any new entry-level dslrs in the pipeline. The people on this forum are enthusiasts and more interested in the higher end, but entry-level cameras (some of whom will upgrade) are important for keeping a brand alive.

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-3N
kriztian
Contributing MemberPosts: 622
Like?

I just bought a K5 with 50-135 zoom lens. It is a fantastic lens and if you want similar performance from canon or Nikon you have to pay a lot more money. I say that K5 is the best camera I ever had. It is extremley userfriendly and has a lot of feauters.
--
kriztian

Emmanuel Diver
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?

Egglestonworks wrote:

Pentax shooters, I'm curious, what is the appeal of Pentax to you? : ) I noticed they aren't the fastest cameras, nor full frame nor are they the most durable, nor the highest resolution yet Pentax still survives and thrives whereas something like Minolta has already fallen by the wayside.

Is it the history, the ergonomics, the "alternative-ness" of it? I'm curious. For the record I shoot with Canon but I've always had a sentimental soft spot for Pentax, and frankly I have no idea why since I've never used any of their cameras.

Dunno about not the most durable like, my K1000 is a tank lol. But I digress, perhaps that's being a bit rose tinted.

I've had 2 Pentax DSLRs and they've always felt more "Grown up" than the Canikon equivilants to be honest. I've held a friend's father in laws 600D for a bit and it honestly felt like a toy compared to my K7 and yet, my K7 is smaller and more compact than it.

SRT201
Senior MemberPosts: 1,932
Like?
Superior value and innovation...
In reply to Egglestonworks, May 31, 2012

Superior value derives from several things.

1) The little guys HAVE to provide a serious value to interest new buyers

2) As Pentax, Olympus and others do not try to clog the market with 6 different tiers of camera you don't have all the unnecessary de-featuring that goes on with Canon or Nikon. I mean really... a DSLR without bracketing! A DSLR without spot metering! Those kinds of decisions are just grotesque considering these are basic features on just about every reasonable P&S. You won't find these kinds of sickening marketing decisions with Pentax or other smaller brands. For a $1000 you get the K-5 with every capability they could throw into it. Try to touch it's feature list and performance for less than $3000 in Canon or Nikon.

Superior innovation is again because the little guys HAVE to innovate.

Where did we get auto-focus, wireless flash control, effective imager dust control, in-body image stabilization, etc... Not from Canon or Nikon. They can sit back and rely on their names to sell product and often do. Pentax allows you to set both aperture and shutter speed and still have auto exposure based on variable ISO. Find that great feature on another brand. Pentax allows you to use 37 year old manual lenses and doesn't just give you focus confirmation, it automatically releases the shutter when focus is achieved. Find that in another brand.

So yeah, I root the little guy but not without reason. The little guy usually returns the favor whereas the big guy makes it clear you are fortunate to be hanging out in their popular crowd (or to have a camera with their name on the front).

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

DarylK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,583Gear list
Like?
Re: Superior value and innovation...
In reply to SRT201, May 31, 2012

Well said!
--

Great photography is largely a matter of one's perspective, both visually and mentally.
Daryl

DarylK's gear list:DarylK's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +6 more
SRT201
Senior MemberPosts: 1,932
Like?
A camera that knows MTF charts!

Yup... Pentax bodies read MTF test data right out of Pentax AF lenses allowing the body to know exactly which apertures will get the sharpest image at the chosen focal length.. Of course, the MTF program line is just one option that the user can control among a number of program variations.

Find that amazing feature elsewhere.

That's innovation.

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

Meshuggah
Contributing MemberPosts: 511
Like?

Egglestonworks wrote:

Pentax shooters, I'm curious, what is the appeal of Pentax to you? : ) I noticed they aren't the fastest cameras, nor full frame nor are they the most durable, nor the highest resolution yet Pentax still survives and thrives whereas something like Minolta has already fallen by the wayside.

Is it the history, the ergonomics, the "alternative-ness" of it? I'm curious. For the record I shoot with Canon but I've always had a sentimental soft spot for Pentax, and frankly I have no idea why since I've never used any of their cameras.

i dont own one, yet, but i will soon. after months of research, ive found pentax to be built very solid actually, one of the best. nowhere can you find a mirrorless that feels like the k-01, and its not bc of the empty space behind the lens. weather sealing all, newer models have great iso performance, i like the non retro look of the cameras. i also like a smaller line bc it seems they play less niche games you know, for example the k5 is the locked and loaded flagship, yet can be had for under a grand now, and has been at 1200 for a good while. thats a lot of quality for a very low price.

just seems like pentax isnt here just to make money, they want people to love their cameras. maybe in the end that will make then money, but i like that strategy better than having dozens of cameras for every single price point. will it last? probly not, but im enjoying it right now.

Meshuggah
Contributing MemberPosts: 511
Like?
Re: Superior value and innovation...

SRT201 wrote:

Superior value derives from several things.

1) The little guys HAVE to provide a serious value to interest new buyers

2) As Pentax, Olympus and others do not try to clog the market with 6 different tiers of camera you don't have all the unnecessary de-featuring that goes on with Canon or Nikon. I mean really... a DSLR without bracketing! A DSLR without spot metering! Those kinds of decisions are just grotesque considering these are basic features on just about every reasonable P&S. You won't find these kinds of sickening marketing decisions with Pentax or other smaller brands. For a $1000 you get the K-5 with every capability they could throw into it. Try to touch it's feature list and performance for less than $3000 in Canon or Nikon.

Superior innovation is again because the little guys HAVE to innovate.

Where did we get auto-focus, wireless flash control, effective imager dust control, in-body image stabilization, etc... Not from Canon or Nikon. They can sit back and rely on their names to sell product and often do. Pentax allows you to set both aperture and shutter speed and still have auto exposure based on variable ISO. Find that great feature on another brand. Pentax allows you to use 37 year old manual lenses and doesn't just give you focus confirmation, it automatically releases the shutter when focus is achieved. Find that in another brand.

So yeah, I root the little guy but not without reason. The little guy usually returns the favor whereas the big guy makes it clear you are fortunate to be hanging out in their popular crowd (or to have a camera with their name on the front).

-- hide signature --

yep, i posted without reading the others here, but this is exactly what i mean. when i look at canikon, i see a camera that was fine tuned to make them as much money as it possibly can. even sony have themselves completely confused trying to play this game.

pentax keeps it simple, if you want this, here you go. im one of those people who advertising doesnt work on. i dont buy a care bc they have a catchy jingle. i buy bc i like the product, or i dont. i like what pentax puts in the cameras, and its at a good price. ive also been partial to primes

Jonathan Lee
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
built-in image stabilizer,
In reply to stanic042, May 31, 2012

standard hot shoe,
built in sync,
existing collection of lenses,
"reasonably close" to the image quality from the best,
reasonably close performance from the best,
reasonably reliable and durable, liked no worst from the peers,
price of the body doesn't break a bank,

inspiring cool photographic features that makes a pentax owner proud; my bragging right.

sorry for being mr. obvious, ricoh has bought pentax from hoya, just liked sony has bought minolta.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Jon.

Jonathan Lee
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
Re: It used to be performance / price value.
In reply to tigrebleu, May 31, 2012

luv this...

" Being bigger doesn't mean being more profitable or safer. Just look at what happened to GM."

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Jon.

wy2lam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,995Gear list
Like?

As to durability, you'll be hard pressed to find anything that's more durable or better sealed at double the price, let alone similarly priced, as a K-5

Egglestonworks wrote:

wy2lam's gear list:wy2lam's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads