WB850F new Firmware

Started May 29, 2012 | Discussions
camomille
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
WB850F new Firmware
May 29, 2012
Samsung WB850F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mhike
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
Re: WB850F new Firmware
In reply to camomille, May 29, 2012

Interesting to see a registrant from today posting up such info.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
swhs
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
In reply to mhike, May 29, 2012

mhike_b wrote:

Interesting to see someone looking up the poster's registration date after a posting of something innocent like this, and then even whining about it implying that there is some sort of foul play.

mhike
Like?
In reply to swhs, May 29, 2012

Interesting how Samsung "communicates" with customers, eh?

swhs wrote:

mhike_b wrote:

Interesting to see someone looking up the poster's registration date after a posting of something innocent like this, and then even whining about it implying that there is some sort of foul play.

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,996Gear list
Like?

Well we can at least be sure that troll_b is never going to post anything interesting on the forum.

troll_b wrote:
Interesting how Samsung "communicates" with customers, eh?

swhs wrote:

troll_b wrote:

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 +6 more
mhike
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, May 29, 2012

Nice, thanks. I'm just saying that Samsung really needs to work on how it communicates with customers. Their awful social networking, inept customer service robots, and shill forum postings around the net are not the way, especially with the high prices they are trying to overcharge for their equipment.

boninsegni
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?
Re: WB850F How to install new Firmware?

It is the first time that I have a problem to install a firmware upgrade for a Samsung camera. I have 2 questions:
1. How can I check the version of the firmware of my cam?

2. Do I have to copy the unzipped files from my PC to a SD card to install the new firmware?
Thanks for your help!
--
Christian

camomille
Like?

It is the first time that I have a problem to install a firmware upgrade for a Samsung camera. I have 2 questions:

2. Do I have to copy the unzipped files from my PC to a SD card to install the new firmware?
Thanks for your help!

-- hide signature --

With Intelli-studio Interface

The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,213Gear list
Like?

swhs wrote:

mhike_b wrote:

He does have a point though. I made a comment about focus speeds and was basically told that I hadn't been on dpreview long enough to have an opinion, just an opinion (by PM) The point being that people often look up peoples' registration dates.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Olympus SP-500 UZ Olympus SH-50 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 +16 more
camomille
Like?

camomille
Like?

camomille wrote:

Thanks for your help!

-- hide signature --

swhs
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
In reply to The Jacal, May 29, 2012

The Jacal wrote:

swhs wrote:

mhike_b wrote:

He does have a point though. I made a comment about focus speeds and was basically told that I hadn't been on dpreview long enough to have an opinion, just an opinion (by PM) The point being that people often look up peoples' registration dates.

No he does not have a point. Being told that you haven't been long enough on dpreview to have an opinion is inane and is probably by the same kind of ass as snake_b. Anyone can have years of experience without being on dpreview. Being part of a forum for some duration in no way signifies any knowledge whatsoever. It is however what authoritarian BS-artists like to think, see also:

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/kritiek/discussies/index.html

The reasons listed there are why I use most forums read-only.

mhike
Like?

Oddly, it often appears on the Samsung forum, where people argue about the content (or lack thereof) in the gallery, as if it's a marker of something, as if people don't host things elsewhere.

I laugh when I see that often. I've also seen the attacks where people somehow pretend one had no existence before their join date.

swhs wrote:

The Jacal wrote:

swhs wrote:

mhike_b wrote:

No he does not have a point. Being told that you haven't been long enough on dpreview to have an opinion is inane and is probably by the same kind of ass as snake_b. Anyone can have years of experience without being on dpreview. Being part of a forum for some duration in no way signifies any knowledge whatsoever. It is however what authoritarian BS-artists like to think, see also:

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/kritiek/discussies/index.html

The reasons listed there are why I use most forums read-only.

Greynerd
Like?

Format the card in the camera then put it in a PC SD card reader. Copy across the unzipped file. Put the card in the camera and select firmware upgrade in the menu. This should tell you the installed version and the new version and ask if you want to proceed. It will allow you to re-install the current version or a later version.

This is how it is how I remember it for the NX so I presume the wb850 will be the same. Anyone please correct anyone if I have got it wrong.

You do not strictly have to format the card if already formatted but I think it best to keep these sort of processes as clean as possible.

camomille wrote:

Thanks for your help!

-- hide signature --

Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 +6 more
camomille
Like?

For upgrade ,see manual page 121
Intelli-Studio / Web Support / Upgrade Firmware for the connected device

Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
In reply to boninsegni, May 29, 2012

boninsegni wrote:

Samsung's NX cameras don't show you the firmware version in the menu as other cameras do. If you attempt to do a firmware update (by placing firmware files on an SD card), the camera should show you the current firmware version as well as the firmware version on the SD card. This may even work if the firmware files are from an older version that the camera won't allow you to install.

That's the way I always do it. I've never heard of any cameras that know how to use zipped archive files. I haven't used Samsung's Intelli-Studio software, so it's possible that there's another way to do the firmware update.

Greynerd
Like?
In reply to Billx08, May 29, 2012

The manual says to use Intellistudio - Web Support - Update Firmware for the Connected Device. There may be a camera menu option for doing this but this does not seem to be mentioned in the manual.

Billx08 wrote:

boninsegni wrote:

Samsung's NX cameras don't show you the firmware version in the menu as other cameras do. If you attempt to do a firmware update (by placing firmware files on an SD card), the camera should show you the current firmware version as well as the firmware version on the SD card. This may even work if the firmware files are from an older version that the camera won't allow you to install.

That's the way I always do it. I've never heard of any cameras that know how to use zipped archive files. I haven't used Samsung's Intelli-Studio software, so it's possible that there's another way to do the firmware update.

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 1,831Gear list
Like?

Interesting, Olympus requires firmware updates to be done in similar fashion. Camera must be USB-connected to computer and it is run through the Olympus Master application.

Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, May 29, 2012

Greynerd wrote:

The manual says to use Intellistudio - Web Support - Update Firmware for the Connected Device. There may be a camera menu option for doing this but this does not seem to be mentioned in the manual.

Yes, but I have some direct experience dealing with tech writers that produce manuals. Some of them have only very general knowledge of the products they're writing about and produce only brief, incomplete manuals. This is a nearly perfect description of Samsung's slim manuals. They write what they're told, and they may be completely unaware of the fact that Samsung's firmware can be downloaded and upgraded without using Intelli-Studio. If Samsung really wanted Intelli-Studio to be the only way that the firmware could be upgraded, they wouldn't have designed the binary firmware files in a way that the cameras could recognize them and install them without using Intelli-Studio. As I mentioned in my previous reply, Samsung says that Intelli-Studio needs to be used to upgrade the WB700, but I upgraded it without using Intelli-Studio.

So much for snake_b's condescending advice. The WB850f is a newer camera so there's a remote possibility that its newer firmware won't automatically do the upgrade, but I consider the odds of this happening to be almost infinitesimally small, because the WB850's files include the same text file instructions that the Samsung's cameras follow to start the update when powered on. If Intelli-Studio needed to do any kind of check before starting an update, it would be to verify the authenticity and integrity of a large binary firmware file, not the presence of an 11 byte text file.

Greynerd
Like?
In reply to Billx08, May 29, 2012

There probably still is a manual method else Mac users would be in trouble I presume.

Billx08 wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

Yes, but I have some direct experience dealing with tech writers that produce manuals. Some of them have only very general knowledge of the products they're writing about and produce only brief, incomplete manuals. This is a nearly perfect description of Samsung's slim manuals. They write what they're told, and they may be completely unaware of the fact that Samsung's firmware can be downloaded and upgraded without using Intelli-Studio. If Samsung really wanted Intelli-Studio to be the only way that the firmware could be upgraded, they wouldn't have designed the binary firmware files in a way that the cameras could recognize them and install them without using Intelli-Studio. As I mentioned in my previous reply, Samsung says that Intelli-Studio needs to be used to upgrade the WB700, but I upgraded it without using Intelli-Studio.

So much for snake_b's condescending advice. The WB850f is a newer camera so there's a remote possibility that its newer firmware won't automatically do the upgrade, but I consider the odds of this happening to be almost infinitesimally small, because the WB850's files include the same text file instructions that the Samsung's cameras follow to start the update when powered on. If Intelli-Studio needed to do any kind of check before starting an update, it would be to verify the authenticity and integrity of a large binary firmware file, not the presence of an 11 byte text file.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads