Night Heron in flight. (3 imgs)

Started May 29, 2012 | Discussions
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 24,908
Like?
Night Heron in flight. (3 imgs)
May 29, 2012

These are the first time I have ever had a chance to shoot at a Night Heron. I think that is what these are. I used the K-5 + Sigma 500mm f4.5 at f5.6, 1/3200s, handheld. The first one was shot at ISO500 and the last two were shot at ISO640. These have been cropped more than 50% so the image quality is not quite up to par. However, since they are my first I am happy with them for now.

Night Heron in flight.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brandrx
Like?
Black-crowned Night-Heron.
In reply to brandrx, May 29, 2012

So, after a bit of research it appears that this bird is called the Black-crowned Night-Heron. Looking at Google Images I only saw one or two that were captured in flight. I wonder why an in-flight capture is so rare? Anybody have an insight on that question?

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Beverlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832
Like?
Re: Night Heron in flight. (3 imgs)

Ron - Nice shots. I really like the 2nd image which clearly shows how aerodynamic the Night Herson is. In the 2nd image the position of his head and bill roughly reminds me of the nose of the English/French Concorde
--
JRB

Greyser
Senior MemberPosts: 3,600Gear list
Like?

Yes it is Black-crowned Night-Heron, Ron. I had an opportunity to shoot it in flight day before yesterday, but missed (as usually) when it caught a fish and took off quickly. I got the picture with fish but missed the BIF part (see my thread with picture of the bird below). However, I have quite a few BIF pictures of this bird from my last year business trip to Malaysia taken with DA*60-250/4. Unfortunately they all are heavy crops. I believe one of them is in my PPG, though.

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3
Kamgal
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?
Re: Black-crowned Night-Heron.

brandrx wrote:

So, after a bit of research it appears that this bird is called the Black-crowned Night-Heron. Looking at Google Images I only saw one or two that were captured in flight. I wonder why an in-flight capture is so rare? Anybody have an insight on that question?

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron, to paraphrase my bird book, they are mostly nocturnal and usually fly out at dusk to feed. You got a good opportunity to get them in flight, well done. Were they near a pond or marsh?

Sharon

brandrx
Like?
Sharon...
In reply to Kamgal, May 30, 2012

Kamgal wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Ron, to paraphrase my bird book, they are mostly nocturnal and usually fly out at dusk to feed. You got a good opportunity to get them in flight, well done. Were they near a pond or marsh?

Thanks Sharon. I appreciate that.

Yes, I was near a pond in the desert.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

brandrx
Like?
Greyser...
In reply to Greyser, May 30, 2012

Greyser wrote:

Yes it is Black-crowned Night-Heron, Ron. I had an opportunity to shoot it in flight day before yesterday, but missed (as usually) when it caught a fish and took off quickly. I got the picture with fish but missed the BIF part (see my thread with picture of the bird below). However, I have quite a few BIF pictures of this bird from my last year business trip to Malaysia taken with DA*60-250/4. Unfortunately they all are heavy crops. I believe one of them is in my PPG, though.

Thanks Greyser. I've only seen them a couple of times around here in the last five years. I hope to someday get one in flight without having to crop it so much.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

brandrx
Like?
Jim...
In reply to Jim Beverlin, May 30, 2012

Jim Beverlin wrote:

Ron - Nice shots.

Thanks Jim.

I really like the 2nd image which clearly shows how aerodynamic the Night Herson is. In the 2nd image the position of his head and bill roughly reminds me of the nose of the English/French Concorde

That's an interesting take on that 2nd image.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Nhelnhel
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
In reply to brandrx, May 30, 2012

Ron

Very nice series of BIF photos.

Thank you for posting.

Nhelnhel's gear list:Nhelnhel's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
brandrx
Like?
Nhelnhel...
In reply to Nhelnhel, May 30, 2012

Nhelnhel wrote:

Ron

Hi Nhelnhel.

Very nice series of BIF photos.

Thank you.

Thank you for posting.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

J Posthuma
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
In reply to brandrx, May 30, 2012

Those are great first timers! What a man get his happiness from :-). Keep the coming.
--
Kind Regards / Met vriendelijke groet,

Jetze

J Posthuma's gear list:J Posthuma's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM
brandrx
Like?
Thanks Jetze. (nt)
In reply to J Posthuma, May 31, 2012
-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads