A77 drives me to madness!

Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions
jl_smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,315Gear list
Like?
A77 drives me to madness!
May 28, 2012

Mudbug Madness that is

After living in Shreveport, LA for the past 10 years, the family and I finally decide to visit the festival.

A77 with the 16-50 kit.

Gotta love the dynamic range :0) I exposed for the sky so the foreground was nearly all black. This is a partial view of the festivities.

At the end of the day, drove up to 5th floor parking garage and snapped a manual pano of the view. 5 shots stitched. I would have liked a smaller aperture but didn't have my tripod and it was dark, so f/2.8 it was.

And oh yeah, the mudbugs! (crawfish). Here's a plate of them - pretty good!

-- hide signature --
 jl_smith's gear list:jl_smith's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,537Gear list
Like?
Re: A77 drives me to madness!
In reply to jl_smith, May 28, 2012

Not sure of the reference to madness in your topic line, other than whats found in the barrel distortion of the first image...you made no reference to that...So I'm really not sure of your madness issue, you never mention it.
--
Bill
Capturing memories, one at a time.

Visit my Smug Mug Galleries at:
http://evil-twin.smugmug.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jl_smith
Like?
Surely you jest
In reply to EvilOne, May 28, 2012

Erm, you might try actually reading the post???...I reference the fact the festival is called Mudbug Madness . Like....I took photos......of the festival.....with my A77.....

Nevermind.

EvilOne wrote:

Not sure of the reference to madness in your topic line, other than whats found in the barrel distortion of the first image...you made no reference to that...So I'm really not sure of your madness issue, you never mention it.
--
Bill

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,655
Like?

Enjoyed all of these! So, the first shot is a single image with shadows lifted?

jl_smith
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, May 28, 2012

Thanks and yep - Lifting the shadows and exposure basically. I thought about doing HDR but didn't feel like entering camera to switch to JPEG, yadda yadda yadda (thanks Sony for making this "feature" of the A77 a total PITA for RAW shooters) so I bet on being able to raise shadows and it worked

Granted, upon close examination of the original they're not perfect, but this is a massive shadow lift and I'm thinking it would stand up to a 16x20 print pretty easily.

Clayton1985 wrote:

-- hide signature --
sybersitizen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,864
Like?

EvilOne wrote:

Not sure of the reference to madness in your topic line, other than whats found in the barrel distortion of the first image...you made no reference to that...

There isn't any barrel distortion.

jl_smith
Like?
In reply to sybersitizen, May 28, 2012

There's perhaps a little bit - I manually corrected some of it in LR4, but didn't go all the way so no big deal.

sybersitizen wrote:

EvilOne wrote:

Not sure of the reference to madness in your topic line, other than whats found in the barrel distortion of the first image...you made no reference to that...

There isn't any barrel distortion.

-- hide signature --
EvilOne
Like?

OK I see the reference to madness I apologise for that.. as far as the distortion goes... Wow.. the light poll on the far left is leaning in about 20 degrees the building on the right is leaning in about 10 degrees and that big blue structure that occupies the center of the shot is leaning 30 degree to the right while the people walking below are relatively level...
--
Bill

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,655
Like?

I'm still learning the in and outs of the A77 but I have seen the suggestions to have the camera automatically switch to jpg when selecting a jpg only feature -- I think that would be a great option/enhancement.

I can say that the exposure bracketing implementation on the A77 is better than any camera I've used. Not only the range of options but the ease of selecting your preferred setup. Makes handheld HDR a breeze!

sybersitizen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,864
Like?

EvilOne wrote:

... as far as the distortion goes... Wow.. the light poll on the far left is leaning in about 20 degrees the building on the right is leaning in about 10 degrees and that big blue structure that occupies the center of the shot is leaning 30 degree to the right while the people walking below are relatively level...

... none of which is barrel distortion. It's perspective distortion , or keystoning , or converging verticals . It's under the photographer's control during the shot by choosing the camera orientation, and is often used intentionally for dramatic effect.

Barrel distortion is outward bulging and curvature of straight lines. It is often an unintended side effect of wideangle lens designs, and is intentionally left uncorrected and exaggerated in fisheye lenses. Barrel distortion is not apparent in that shot.

Barrel distortion:

http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/dxo_optics_pro/features/optics_geometry_corrections/distortion

Perspective distortion/keystoning:

http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/dxo_optics_pro/features/optics_geometry_corrections/keystoning

EvilOne
Like?
In reply to sybersitizen, May 28, 2012

Yes, perspective distortion is correct but in any event its distortion . which could be corrected , personally I found it very distracting.... I initially thought his madness was due to the amount of distortion evident in the first shot... you rarely see so much " distortion" without the use of a fish-eye lens which is expected... I didn't see any 8 or 10 mm references..
--
Bill

FramerDave
Contributing MemberPosts: 502
Like?

Limitation of capturing tall towers with 16mm wide angle from the ground. I think it adds to the "madness" feel so I wouldn't bother PP it out but here is an interesting article on manual verticle pano and pp:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2012/05/25/go-wider-than-wide-with-photomerge/

Maxxuman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?

EvilOne wrote:

you rarely see so much " distortion" without the use of a fish-eye lens which is expected... I didn't see any 8 or 10 mm references..

Actually, all you need to do is tilt your camera up with verticals in the frame to get it. To avoid it you can go for a wider angle (if available) and hold the camera more horizontal and then crop out what you don't want in the bottom. Or you can go for a very expensive tilt/shift lens. The other alternative is vertical perspective distortion correction in pp, but with an image with so much perspective distortion you end up losing a lot of the shot during the correction. In any case it bothers some people more than others.
--
Barry

EvilOne
Like?
In reply to Maxxuman, May 28, 2012

Maxxuman wrote:

EvilOne wrote:

you rarely see so much " distortion" without the use of a fish-eye lens which is expected... I didn't see any 8 or 10 mm references..

Actually, all you need to do is tilt your camera up with verticals in the frame to get it. To avoid it you can go for a wider angle (if available) and hold the camera more horizontal and then crop out what you don't want in the bottom. Or you can go for a very expensive tilt/shift lens. The other alternative is vertical perspective distortion correction in pp, but with an image with so much perspective distortion you end up losing a lot of the shot during the correction. In any case it bothers some people more than others.
--
Barry

-- hide signature --

I was not trying to disrespect the OP... I actually thought his madness was due to so much distortion,I did apologize for missing the meaning of his topic line.... I know how to make a shot like this , but why would I... He took three shots to chronicle the event, the first shot was not mean as an effect.. it was just distorted... and to me a bit unsettling, when some simple distortion adjustment could have been done in PP.. I did this in 2 minutes... The shot is much more believable as an image.. not as something that was artsy.. I know I opened the can of worms.. but Ill stick by my initial feeling about the first shot....and I again apologize to the op.. it was not meant to be disrespectful.. I was going to encourage him to make a distortion correction..and that's what I thought was in the meaning of his madness.

Bill

Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,424Gear list
Like?
In reply to EvilOne, May 29, 2012

But now the people looks squished; shorter and fatter. I like the original better.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Hokkaido Jan
Regular MemberPosts: 197Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shield3, May 29, 2012

I think it's down to personal taste, but I much prefer the original distorted version to corrected version that to my eyes looks kind of "flat"(?)
--
My humble gallery: http://hokkaidojan.zenfolio.com/f194280394

Hokkaido Jan's gear list:Hokkaido Jan's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +17 more
brahmachari99
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to jl_smith, May 29, 2012

What is lifting of shadows and how do you do it? Can you also post a "before" picture to illustrate?

jl_smith wrote:

Thanks and yep - Lifting the shadows and exposure basically. I thought about doing HDR but didn't feel like entering camera to switch to JPEG, yadda yadda yadda (thanks Sony for making this "feature" of the A77 a total PITA for RAW shooters) so I bet on being able to raise shadows and it worked

Granted, upon close examination of the original they're not perfect, but this is a massive shadow lift and I'm thinking it would stand up to a 16x20 print pretty easily.

Clayton1985 wrote:

-- hide signature --
jl_smith
Like?
In reply to brahmachari99, May 29, 2012

brahmachari99 wrote:

What is lifting of shadows and how do you do it? Can you also post a "before" picture to illustrate?

Lifting shadows - bringing up shadows so that they show information, or aren't completely black, etc.

Here's the original shot

jl_smith wrote:

-- hide signature --
rvssts
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
Like?
In reply to jl_smith, May 29, 2012

Well thanks a lot now I have to complete the meal with the creole and red beans and rice (drool)
Nice shots by the way
--
A77 or A700, Never leave home without one of them in tow/hand

rvssts's gear list:rvssts's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
jl_smith
Like?
In reply to rvssts, May 29, 2012

Thanks!

I think I and perhaps the wife are new mudbug converts. I learned / discovered a better way to peel them last night, but unfortunately we had almost eaten them all before I did.

The corn and red potatos were good, but too bad there was no red beans and rice!

rvssts wrote:

Well thanks a lot now I have to complete the meal with the creole and red beans and rice (drool)
Nice shots by the way
--
A77 or A700, Never leave home without one of them in tow/hand

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads