Help me decide between Black Rapid RS-5 Cargo & RS-Sport (original)

Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions
eorlingas
Contributing MemberPosts: 597Gear list
Like?
Help me decide between Black Rapid RS-5 Cargo & RS-Sport (original)
May 28, 2012

Hello fellow photogs!

I've decided to abandon the stock Canon neck strap & to switch to the Black Rapid RS straps. I've got my choices narrowed down to the RS Sport (original) and the RS-5 Cargo, but I'd like more input from you guys to help me make the final decision.

What appeals to me from the RS-5 is obviously its included storage compartments. It'll allow me to carry my CF cards and a few other accessories. On the other hand, the style of the RS sport gives me the impression that it'll feel more comfortable to wear for long periods and also that it will move around less than the RS-5.

At this point, I am leaning more towards to the RS Sport, but I'd like input from the community, too.

Thank you!

eorlingas's gear list:eorlingas's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
acipriano
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?
Re: Help me decide between Black Rapid RS-5 Cargo & RS-Sport (original)
In reply to eorlingas, May 28, 2012

I have a Black Rapid strap for my 5DMkII. I think it is an RS-7. I've had it for a long time and don't remember the model.

I shoot mostly landscape and most of the time on a tripod. I found that the Black Rapid did not work well for me. I never used the Canon strap. Instead I use a OPTech strap. It works well for me and has a quick release when my camera is on the tripod and I don't want the strap blowing in the wind.

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eorlingas
Like?
In reply to acipriano, May 28, 2012

Thanks for the reply.

I dismissed the RS-7 myself, since based on reviews it's basically a watered down version of the RS-4. I also don't appreciate the quick release that ends up behind the photographer, and it's also another potential point of failure.

I personally don't shoot on the tripod that much, so the RS strap should be quite useful for me.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
phantomB
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
In reply to eorlingas, May 29, 2012

I'd get the Sport; it has the Brad Strap included which, to me, is a better option than bulky storage on the shoulder.

eorlingas
Like?
In reply to phantomB, May 30, 2012

Thanks. I went with the RS Sport. Still getting used to it but I have good impressions so far. Only minor complaint would be the slightly annoying manner in which the carabiner attaches to the custom D-ring on my camera - it's not exactly easy to take on and off during lens changes and tripod mounting.

Mostly though, I like it more than the stock neck strap.

eorlingas
Like?
In reply to eorlingas, May 30, 2012

And to be perfectly honest, I'm always worried that the BR custom D-ring is going to either snap out of the camera tripod threads or that the ring itself is going to break. When the 70-200 is mounted, I still have my right hand hanging on to the barrel of the lens itself.

phantomB
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
In reply to eorlingas, May 30, 2012

I'm not to concerned with the tripod mount pulling out of the camera. Personally I've spent a little bit on my BR sling. I got a Nite Ize S-Biner, basically a S-shaped carabiner that I place on the belt loop where my camera falls to my side and then snap it into the BR carabiner to help keep the camera in place at my side when not in use.

Then I've gotten the Custom M plate to mount to the tripod either Manfrotto RC-2 or Arca-Swiss. I could even leave the BR strap attached to the plate while it's on the tripod, which I don't. Camera and a medium zoom lay well balanced and comfortable at my side. I love it even though I paid $75 for the plate alone, ouch!

http://www.customslr.com/products/m-plate-pro

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads