Trying to use ND Filters

Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions
Nhelnhel
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
Trying to use ND Filters
May 27, 2012

I took a photo of a river dam with a ND filter.

I hope i can find a beautiful water fall or a much beautiful flowing water place to photograph.

Here it is...
Comments and critiques are always appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

 Nhelnhel's gear list:Nhelnhel's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
JDBraun
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Re: Trying to use ND Filters
In reply to Nhelnhel, May 27, 2012

How many stop ND filter did you use on this? Looks good to me - the water flowing over the dam in particular is just creamy.

Josh

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TMalford
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,684
Like?
Re: Trying to use ND Filters
In reply to Nhelnhel, May 27, 2012

Nhelnhel wrote:

I took a photo of a river dam with a ND filter.

I hope i can find a beautiful water fall or a much beautiful flowing water place to photograph.

Here it is...
Comments and critiques are always appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Brutal honesty has me responding that the composition is nicely balanced, but the light is uninteresting, the time value is too long for this much movement, robbing the water of interest, and the dam is not appealing. There's way too much stuff that doesn't really have a reason to be in the image.

Solutions/suggestions:

Shoot when the light is better. Get closer to something and don't include so many distracting elements that are not interesting. Experiment with shorter time values. Make the water interesting, not just a mass of white.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,010Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to use ND Filters
In reply to TMalford, May 27, 2012

TMalford wrote:

... the time value is too long for this much movement, robbing the water of interest, ...

I understand it was a practice shot. I am posting under TMalford because I also thought the water looked a little too smooth. Some people like a bit of texture in water and some people like less. It is just a mater of taste. Here is a recent thread that shows water at different shutter speeds. There is also some comment about preferences.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=41305771&changemode=1

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cideway
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,634Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to use ND Filters
In reply to Nhelnhel, May 28, 2012

I would avoid shooting below f11 if you can possibly even sticking to f8 unless you really need the depth of field.
--
Chris.

A weather sealed ultra wide, is that too much to ask?

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/chriside

GMT +9.5

Pentax SLR talk FAQ
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=23161072

 Cideway's gear list:Cideway's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leopold
Forum ProPosts: 11,964Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to use ND Filters
In reply to Cideway, May 28, 2012

ND filter can be helpful, hope you will find an interesting waterfal.
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/
http://www.limagier-photo.com/
http://www.firstlight.com/galleries.php
http://steevemarcoux2.wordpress.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nhelnhel
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to use ND Filters
In reply to JDBraun, May 28, 2012

Josh

I used the B&W ND 64x

Thank you.

JDBraun wrote:

How many stop ND filter did you use on this? Looks good to me - the water flowing over the dam in particular is just creamy.

Josh

 Nhelnhel's gear list:Nhelnhel's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nhelnhel
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to use ND Filters
In reply to TMalford, May 28, 2012

This is only a quick test that i made.

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestion.

TMalford wrote:

Nhelnhel wrote:

I took a photo of a river dam with a ND filter.

I hope i can find a beautiful water fall or a much beautiful flowing water place to photograph.

Here it is...

Comments and critiques are always appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Brutal honesty has me responding that the composition is nicely balanced, but the light is uninteresting, the time value is too long for this much movement, robbing the water of interest, and the dam is not appealing. There's way too much stuff that doesn't really have a reason to be in the image.

Solutions/suggestions:

Shoot when the light is better. Get closer to something and don't include so many distracting elements that are not interesting. Experiment with shorter time values. Make the water interesting, not just a mass of white.

 Nhelnhel's gear list:Nhelnhel's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nhelnhel
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to use ND Filters
In reply to Tan68, May 28, 2012

Ive read that thread and its really depends on its own taste/preferences.

Thank you again.

Thank you again...

Tan68 wrote:

TMalford wrote:

... the time value is too long for this much movement, robbing the water of interest, ...

I understand it was a practice shot. I am posting under TMalford because I also thought the water looked a little too smooth. Some people like a bit of texture in water and some people like less. It is just a mater of taste. Here is a recent thread that shows water at different shutter speeds. There is also some comment about preferences.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=41305771&changemode=1

 Nhelnhel's gear list:Nhelnhel's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nhelnhel
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to use ND Filters
In reply to Cideway, May 28, 2012

Chris,

Ill note that on my mind and use it on my next water flowing photos.

Thank you very much.

Cideway wrote:

I would avoid shooting below f11 if you can possibly even sticking to f8 unless you really need the depth of field.
--
Chris.

A weather sealed ultra wide, is that too much to ask?

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/chriside

GMT +9.5

Pentax SLR talk FAQ
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=23161072

 Nhelnhel's gear list:Nhelnhel's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nhelnhel
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to use ND Filters
In reply to leopold, May 28, 2012

Leopold

Thats what im hoping for "find an interesting waterfall"

Thank you very much.

leopold wrote:

ND filter can be helpful, hope you will find an interesting waterfal.
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/
http://www.limagier-photo.com/
http://www.firstlight.com/galleries.php
http://steevemarcoux2.wordpress.com/

 Nhelnhel's gear list:Nhelnhel's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads