Istanbul with the P7100

Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions
andrbar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,568Gear list
Like?
Istanbul with the P7100
May 27, 2012

I was in Istanbul last week for a 4 days trip.
This city is fascinating.
I decided to leave the D90 at home, and to take only the P7100 for this trip.
I must say I'm very pleased with the pictures.

The only thing I had some trouble with is the difficulty to avoid blown highlights in scenes with strong contrast. Like most of the mosques, where the light coming from the windows is very harsh, while the interior is somewhat dark.

I don't use bracketing (maybe I should…). I underexpose the picture to avoid burning highlights, and bring back the shadows in post. But the result is not always good.

All pictures are handheld, shot in raw, and processed with ACR (which does a better job than NX2 for low light pictures).
C&VC welcome.

Me and my wife, with the "new" mosque (400 years old!) in the background.
The picture is not very good, but unvaluable for me

Exif info is embedded in the picytures, so that you can check the settings if you whish.
More pictures to come, if you like them.
André

andrbar's gear list:andrbar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KimTeo
Contributing MemberPosts: 806
Like?
Re: Istanbul with the P7100
In reply to andrbar, May 27, 2012

Hi André,

These are beautiful pictures! Beautiful interior shots. And we get see you too.
The bazzar shot is a little off-level, but maybe it doesn't matter to you.

Thanks for sharing. And yes, keep them coming.

Kim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RussellP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,504
Like?

Hi Andre'

Great set of pictures, very impressive.

cheers
--
Russell
http://russellp.smugmug.com/

MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,358Gear list
Like?

Well done, André.
I went to Istanbul a few years ago and it is a fascinating and charming city.
The mosques are very impressive architecture.

You've captured the beauty quite nicely. The P7100 "only" has 28mm wide so you may wish to experiment with capturing 2 images and stitch for an ultrawide.

I also remember the harbour and sea area which was astounding - it went on for miles with hundreds of freighters..though quite smoggy.

Thanks for sharing.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
andrbar
Like?
Some more pictures...
In reply to MarioV, May 28, 2012

Thank you for the comments.

Here are some more pictures from Hagia Sophia, which is the most impressive monument I've seen so far.

Hagia Sophia was built in the 6th century. It was a christian church, and became a mosque at the 15th century. When Ataturk (Mustapha Kemal) became the 1st president of the Turkish Republic, he decided that Hagia Sophia will be a museum.
Here a view in daytime. Sorry for the ugly fence in the foreground.

By night, it's much more beautiful (handheld, thanks Nikon for VR):

And some views of the interior, where you find very old and beautiful mosaics:

This one was shot handheld at 1/2s, 105mm equivalent.

This one gives a sense of the space in the building:

I like this one for the light, and because it shows the age of the church

Thanks for viewing.
André

Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,094
Like?
Re: Some more pictures...
In reply to andrbar, May 28, 2012

Nice shots. It must have been a relief just carrying the P7100, not worrying about changing lenses or theft and ultimately getting the shot.

OTOH, I'd have to had traveled a whole bunch to those types of locales and shot the heck out of them before with a DSLR before I'd just take a point and shoot even as capable as the P7100.

Mostly, I would miss the ability to go really wide (with my Sigma 10-20) or really high ISO if needed. Still, you did well.

RussellP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,504
Like?

More great shots Andre, I particularly like the 2nd to last one. The colours and defination (and fo course framing) are great. I am impressed and think I may try the RAW mode on my P7100 to see if I can get better results than jpeg. Any tips on settinsg workflow? I use aperture.
cheers
--
Russell

andrbar
Like?
In reply to RussellP, May 28, 2012

Hi Russell,
Thank you for the kind words.
I don't know aperture (which is a mac only software, I believe).

Not to start a new debate raw vs jpeg, but I can tell you that I get much better results using raw instead of jpeg.

I use Capture NX2 for good light pictures, and Photoshop CS5 for low light, because the latter gives much less noise, and you can really fine tune the noise reduction when converting the raw file, in order to get low noise, but good definition.

If you don't want to buy NX2, you can use ViewNX, which is provided for free with the P7100. It's the same converter for Nikon raw files, with less possibilities, but it still does a good job.

That said, maybe Aperture does a god job with Nikon raw files. In that case, you don't need anything else. Try it with some NRW files, and let us know!

RussellP wrote:

More great shots Andre, I particularly like the 2nd to last one. The colours and defination (and fo course framing) are great. I am impressed and think I may try the RAW mode on my P7100 to see if I can get better results than jpeg. Any tips on settinsg workflow? I use aperture.
cheers
--
Russell

andrbar
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, May 28, 2012

toomanycanons wrote:

Nice shots. It must have been a relief just carrying the P7100, not worrying about changing lenses or theft and ultimately getting the shot.

Yes, it is very comfortable to use the P7100 only. I carry it it a very small belt bag. And it's always with me. Same thing when I take the D90. But the belt bag is much bigger and heavier...

I've done the experiment in Mexico, where I had the D90 and the Canon G11. I noticed that for the kind of pictures I take, the G11 was up to the task. Same thing in San Francisco last year.
So, I decided, for this trip, to take the P7100 only.

I don't have the 10-20. For sure, in some situations, I would have liked to go wider than 28mm. I'm just a traveller, so the image quality I get from the P7100 is excellent for my use.

I'm going to visit ZArches, Monument Valley, Brice and Grand Canyon this summer, and I think I'll carry the P7100 only. We'll see...

OTOH, I'd have to had traveled a whole bunch to those types of locales and shot the heck out of them before with a DSLR before I'd just take a point and shoot even as capable as the P7100.

Mostly, I would miss the ability to go really wide (with my Sigma 10-20) or really high ISO if needed. Still, you did well.

rimshot
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?

Beautiful pictures of beautiful buildings! I like pictures that tell a story, and those were loaded with information..They say a lot about the capabilities of the 7100, too...That does make for a fine little travel camera that does a great job..Jimmymac

toomanycanons
Like?

"I'm going to visit Arches, Monument Valley, Bryce and Grand Canyon this summer, and I think I'll carry the P7100 only. We'll see... emoticon - smile"

Well, you sure picked a hot time of the year to go there. Think 105 degrees F. Or more. Bryce is over 8,000 ft I believe so it will be cooler there but Arches and Monument Valley ay chihuahua!! But Europeans flood that area in the summer. It's the Wild Wild West! And if it's over 100 degrees it makes it that much more authentic!

I've been all over that area and my recommendation is to take your D90 as well. The views are spectacular and large. And small, like close up to formations where you can't back up for a shot. The Sigma 10-20 I spoke about (f/4.0-5.6) is around $479 from various etailers.

Arches is the real deal. More arches in that park than anywhere in the world. Nearby is Canyonlands (Island in The Sky, Needles Districdt). it all begs to be captured on "film" as best you can. I've taken point and shoots and shot side x side with my DSLRs and the DSLRs win every time. Sometimes, in the right conditions, not by much but in others a lot.

Watch "The Searchers" a John Wayne movie, for scenes in those areas.

edit: check this out. This looking down over to Monument Valley. I entered this pic in a challenge a few months ago:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=40091030

andrbar
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, May 29, 2012

Wow...Hot!
I'm not retired yet, and don't have much choice...

So, it will be this summer. I already went to the USA (SF, Death Valley, Monolake), but it was in October, and the temperature was fine.

I understand why you advise me to take the D90 too. But for the kind of pictures I take, it's worth only if I buy a Sigma 10-20 to go with it. About 400 EUR here in France...
Your picture is amazing. Did you use the 10-20 for this one?
Thank you very much for your very useful information!
André

toomanycanons wrote:

"I'm going to visit Arches, Monument Valley, Bryce and Grand Canyon this summer, and I think I'll carry the P7100 only. We'll see... emoticon - smile"

Well, you sure picked a hot time of the year to go there. Think 105 degrees F. Or more. Bryce is over 8,000 ft I believe so it will be cooler there but Arches and Monument Valley ay chihuahua!! But Europeans flood that area in the summer. It's the Wild Wild West! And if it's over 100 degrees it makes it that much more authentic!

I've been all over that area and my recommendation is to take your D90 as well. The views are spectacular and large. And small, like close up to formations where you can't back up for a shot. The Sigma 10-20 I spoke about (f/4.0-5.6) is around $479 from various etailers.

Arches is the real deal. More arches in that park than anywhere in the world. Nearby is Canyonlands (Island in The Sky, Needles Districdt). it all begs to be captured on "film" as best you can. I've taken point and shoots and shot side x side with my DSLRs and the DSLRs win every time. Sometimes, in the right conditions, not by much but in others a lot.

Watch "The Searchers" a John Wayne movie, for scenes in those areas.

edit: check this out. This looking down over to Monument Valley. I entered this pic in a challenge a few months ago:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=40091030

andrbar
Like?
In reply to rimshot, May 29, 2012

Thanks Jim.
Yes, the P7100 is great for travel. For me, it's the best compromise.
I'll post some more pictures when I have time.
André

rimshot wrote:

Beautiful pictures of beautiful buildings! I like pictures that tell a story, and those were loaded with information..They say a lot about the capabilities of the 7100, too...That does make for a fine little travel camera that does a great job..Jimmymac

toomanycanons
Like?
In reply to andrbar, May 29, 2012

"Wow...Hot!
I'm not retired yet, and don't have much choice...

So, it will be this summer. I already went to the USA (SF, Death Valley, Monolake), but it was in October, and the temperature was fine.

I understand why you advise me to take the D90 too. But for the kind of pictures I take, it's worth only if I buy a Sigma 10-20 to go with it. About 400 EUR here in France...
Your picture is amazing. Did you use the 10-20 for this one?
Thank you very much for your very useful information!"
André

Yeah, there's a world of difference between "mid-summer" and October. The temps fall rapidly after the end of September. I always visit out there either in March/April or late September/early October. I did once go out in August to Arches (my first time). I worked outside at the time (young and dumb) and was used to being in 95 degrees all day in the sun.

I got to Arches, took a cool tour (Fiery Furnace--you have to sign up as you enter the park, remember that, but it's worth it) and it was lightly raining. Our guide said "great timing, guys, it's been 110 every day for a month till this rain started".

The shot I showed you was taken with an 18-55 kit lens. That's one of those big vistas where you don't need a wide angle. I would have only used the Sigma on the Fiery Furnace tour, however.

toomanycanons
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, May 29, 2012

That shot of the winding road might have been a two or three shot stitched panorama, I can't remember. Back then I didn't shoot in close quarters much and stitching a few together was my "ghetto wide angle lens". I guess some newer cameras can do that in-camera.

If you don't have a stitching program, try Microsoft ICE. It's free and works great.

KathyN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,072Gear list
Like?
In reply to andrbar, May 29, 2012

TERRIFIC pictures, both sets! It's obvious the 7100 handled all various the situations extremely well--with a little help from the guy behind the lens, of course! Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing; I will look forward to more.
--
KathyN

andrbar
Like?
In reply to KathyN, May 29, 2012

Thank you Kathy. Yes, the P7100 is a very capable camera.
I'll post some more pictures of this beautiful city as soon as I have time.
Regards
André

winddancing
Regular MemberPosts: 485
Like?
In reply to andrbar, May 30, 2012

Fascinating, thanks for sharing.
--
Clueless

andrbar
Like?
more pictures...
In reply to winddancing, May 30, 2012

This is a beautiful mosque. You have to remove your shoes before entering a mosque, and women must wear a headscarf. The woman in the foreground is a tourist.

The lights are hanging from the ceiling, with cables of more than 20 or 40 meters sometimes.

Another view, which I like better (1/4s handheld):

I like this one. Here the P7100 200mm zoom comes in handy:

I like the structure of the mosque, like we can see here:

This is the blue mosque. It has 6 minarets. Only 4 are visibles here:

The interior is fabulous:

But the show comes at night, when you can see the 6 minarets illuminated.

This one is called "small hagia sophia". It's a beautiful mosque, with much less crowd than in the big hagia sophia. It's not that small: look at the woman.

Well, that's all for today. I'll post some different pictures next time, if you like.
André

happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,725Gear list
Like?
In reply to andrbar, May 30, 2012

Edit: DPR messin up bad today

...original message cut down about 500 words: GREAT SHOTS!!!

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

Equipment: 1 Finger, an eye, a camera body and 50mm (equivalent) lens, half a brain, and a lot of money leftover to spend on using that equipment

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads