Horse photos

Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions
Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,547Gear list
Like?
Horse photos
May 27, 2012

I think horses should have their heads up in photos and in general look nice, just like a people portrait. Yes, there are exceptions, but in general I think this should be the case.

I had to work with this horse for nearly a half hour to get this pose.

Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus PEN E-PM1 +7 more
Outsider
Regular MemberPosts: 435
Like?
Really nice, Colors are perfect together. n/t
In reply to Jere Landis, May 27, 2012
-- hide signature --

If you don't know where your going, any road will take you there.

regards,

Outsider

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
caimi
Regular MemberPosts: 492
Like?
Re: Horse photos

Or thay should be working.

Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to caimi, May 27, 2012

Beautiful photos and great timing. What a beautiful horse and great photo work.

Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus PEN E-PM1 +7 more
Jere Landis
Like?

I would have thought more people would be interested in horse photos, they are such a beautiful animal.

gulffish
Senior MemberPosts: 2,132Gear list
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

I would have thought more people would be interested in horse photos, they are such a beautiful animal.

One issue may be that this is the M43 forum but it's a nice shot and good looking horse.
--
Kirk

leeland48
Senior MemberPosts: 7,508Gear list
Like?

My neighbours horse Pipin - I find these images give me a sense of calm and serenity and a sense of my own well being.
Yes horses are wonderful creatures.

lee

Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to gulffish, May 27, 2012

gulffish wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

One issue may be that this is the M43 forum but it's a nice shot and good looking horse.
--
Kirk

But it could be a breath of fresh air amidst all the techno and other boring jargon. After all M4/3s cameras do take photos of horses don't they. I'd rather look at a horse any day than a brick wall or a chart.

twokatmew
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?

Lovely photo! IMNSHO, that half-hour of work was well worth the effort! I too would love to see more photos of horses.
--
Margaret
http://picasaweb.google.com/twokatmew

twokatmew's gear list:twokatmew's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,843Gear list
Like?

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to Rriley, May 27, 2012

Rriley wrote:

-- hide signature --

Riley

This one is different and I really like. His head isn't up, but it makes no difference here, it is unique and different.

LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,618Gear list
Like?

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Jere Landis
Like?

I dug up some more horses, several actually. These came from a nearby Amish community

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,843Gear list
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

Rriley wrote:

-- hide signature --

Riley

This one is different and I really like. His head isn't up, but it makes no difference here, it is unique and different.

I get the opportunity to shoot lots of horses, and I try for expressive things, something out of the ordinary. You could say I know the horse above pretty well and a felt safe to lay on the ground near him and wait for him to turn up and see wtf i was doing. which he did. He's an easy going sort of horse...

These two are sweethearts, the little girl on the right had a serious leg injury that cost her owner $20k to put right. She wont ever do dressage again but she is still around.

see this proud arabian motion to her foal

the girl on the right had some bad scars on her from a collision with a fence. I think she might spook a bit easy. They put her in a paddock with some older horses to quiet her down a bit.

shes a beautiful horse and has got a really nice shaped head, but she didnt feel to cool to be around so I got out of there. If she has a colt he sure would be pretty

-- hide signature --

Riley

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Jere Landis
Like?

Really nice horse photos, especially the one of the two together with their heads facing the camera, as if posing. The colors are nice also. Thanks for posting them.

caimi
Regular MemberPosts: 492
Like?

I especially like the gold palominos against the green grass.

eagle_I
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670
Like?

Jere- Your photo is awesome! Not only did you capture the horse at attention with ears perked, but you worked in challenging light with those stray beams sneaking in. They work nicely to enhance your composition. The pretty young lady's attractive pose and bright expression lead us first to her smile then the touching a connection to her horse. Well done, and THANKS for sharing.

caimi - PERFECT timing of jump captures! I remember my first try at a jumping competition. I had a great angle for both light and composition and the background was clean too. But, alas, when the prints came back from the lab it was apparent my timing was off. ALL the horses were ass high diving into the ground well beyond the jump. Shutter finger lagged my eye's decision to push. Next opportunity I triggered my finger as the horse left the ground and got much better results. Too bad I didn't have digital back then where a few instant replays would have quickly shown my problem.

leeland48 - Your monotone renditions of Pipin are wonderful. The first is my favorite. And thank you too for sharing too!

I've aimed my camera at enough horses over the years to know they are challenging subjects. It takes skill and a bit of luck to capture attractive poses. My first is the best of about 30 in a sequence I shot while the horse trotted a neighbor's pasture.

In the second the horse on the right was so important in my eye's panoramic vision of the scene that I had to do unusual post processing gyrations to include it in the flat rendition of the scene.

Mark
--

Boris
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254Gear list
Like?

A lot of nice horsey shots posted...very nice
Boris
w/the ancient sigma SD9

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II +40 more
Simon Cowell
Senior MemberPosts: 2,471
Like?
Nice picture...

I always liked 10D's colours.

Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to eagle_I, May 27, 2012

That is one beautiful horse. I can just imagine him prancing, jumping, and galloping around the pasture, great shot. Your timing was right here.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads