My last post before I leave.

Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions
Budvarholsten
Contributing MemberPosts: 610Gear list
Like?
My last post before I leave.
May 26, 2012

Hi guys,

Well, I've 99% decided to sell all my m4/3 rds gear as I feel I've outgrown it and am ready to step up to full frame gear.

I've recently completed three shoots with models so I thought I'd share these final images before I depart.
All shot with my gh2 and oly 45mm lens.
Any c&c welcome.

2:

3:

4:

http://www.holmax.com
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken!

Budvarholsten's gear list:Budvarholsten's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +13 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DrummerBL
Contributing MemberPosts: 901Gear list
Like?
Re: My last post before I leave.
In reply to Budvarholsten, May 26, 2012

There's still that 1 percent...

Bruce

DrummerBL's gear list:DrummerBL's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,295
Like?

Beautiful shots.

I don't see how you can't go FF and retain your m4/3 for your personal stuff ? After enjoying the small gear, I doubt you'll enjoy lugging an FF rig around...

Marla.

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,105
Like?
In reply to Marla2008, May 26, 2012

"lugging" as a negative is overrated.

Marla2008 wrote:

Beautiful shots.

I don't see how you can't go FF and retain your m4/3 for your personal stuff ? After enjoying the small gear, I doubt you'll enjoy lugging an FF rig around...

Marla.

Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
How do you outgrow m4/3rds?

Firstly, I really enjoyed your set here... Beautiful models and excellent poses, lighting and post processing looks spot on.

I'm interested in how you feel you can outgrow m4/3rds though... With the 12-35 f2.8, 35-100mm f2.8 and the 75mm f1.8 coming soon, the O-MD and impending high grade weathersealed Panasonic body...

Thanks for sharing, hope you stick around

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Klarno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,916Gear list
Like?

I liked your photos. I'm guessing they're lit with natural light, and I think you have a good grasp.

I think investing in a set of lighting equipment--strobes, LED panels and modifiers like soft boxes, grids, shoots, etc.-- and learning how to use them is is the way forward for the kind of photography you do. It's not as glamorous as buying a camera, but it almost certainly matters more to the end result.
--
http://www.photoklarno.com

Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Budvarholsten
Like?
Re: How do you outgrow m4/3rds?
In reply to Brian Mosley, May 26, 2012

To be honest Brian, there's three big things that really annoy me about my gh1 and gh2 cameras.

Firstly, it's the lack of dynamic range. Unfortunately these cameras just don't have enough of it.

Secondly, high iso performance isn't great. It's way better on my gh2 than my gh1, but I've recently enjoyed just using natural light instead of my studio lighting and am noticing that images look very grainy at anything above iso 400. It's fine for displaying at web size, but I print to a2 size which really does start to show the shortcomings of the sensor.

And lastly,

I've been trying to get a shot of a girl spinning around in a long floaty dress for a sequence of shots I wanted to do. The poor buffer when shooting in raw has made this pretty much impossible.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 4/3rds system, but I know I could produce better results with full frame in conditions that I'm now finding myself favouring shooting.

-- hide signature --

Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +13 more
Budvarholsten
Like?
In reply to Klarno, May 26, 2012

Klarno wrote:

I liked your photos. I'm guessing they're lit with natural light, and I think you have a good grasp.

I think investing in a set of lighting equipment--strobes, LED panels and modifiers like soft boxes, grids, shoots, etc.-- and learning how to use them is is the way forward for the kind of photography you do. It's not as glamorous as buying a camera, but it almost certainly matters more to the end result.
--

I already have that sort of gear Klarno, here's a picture of me trying (unsuccessfully) to get a shot of my son sitting still in my home studio.

-- hide signature --

MrKal_El
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?

All I have to say is

1. Absolutely beautiful shots!

2. If Dynamic range and buffer are major issues...why not try the E-M5? Esp. with the 75mm coming?

Either way.... Love the talent.
--
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/MrKal_El

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 2,798
Like?

No doubt for studio work FF cameras have plenty of advantages and their disadvantages, i.e. weight and bulk are not important.

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 2,798
Like?
In reply to MrKal_El, May 26, 2012

MrKal_El wrote:

All I have to say is

1. Absolutely beautiful shots!

Agree, the pictures are lovely, though too much emphasis on model legs

2. If Dynamic range and buffer are major issues...why not try the E-M5? Esp. with the 75mm coming?

We still waiting for dxomark to test Olympus, but based on everything I've seen I wouldn't hold my breath, as it's likely the same sensor as Panasonic G3/GX1, and it's likely slightly behind GH2.

Budvarholsten
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, May 26, 2012

What can I say? I guess I'm a leg man!

From what I've read, the e-m5 is either only marginally better or no better than the gh2.

I don't recall reading anywhere that it is head and shoulders above the gh2, even from owners.

I tend to not believe anything from dxo mark. According to them, the gh1's sensor is better than the gh2's. They can say that and back it up with all the Maths and science they want, but I know my eyes tell me my gh1 has banding way before my gh2 does.

Must admit I'm intrigued by the 85mm lens and also keen to see what the gh3 is going to be like. That's why I'm only at 99% and not the full 100%.

-- hide signature --

Klarno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,916Gear list
Like?

Budvarholsten wrote:

I already have that sort of gear Klarno, here's a picture of me trying (unsuccessfully) to get a shot of my son sitting still in my home studio.

Gotcha. Do what you want then, and don't let anyone here stop you
--

Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 26,234
Like?

Budvarholsten wrote:

Hi guys,

Well, I've 99% decided to sell all my m4/3 rds gear as I feel I've outgrown it and am ready to step up to full frame gear.

I've recently completed three shoots with models so I thought I'd share these final images before I depart.
All shot with my gh2 and oly 45mm lens.
Any c&c welcome.

I think these definitely count as 'glamour' shots and...

Glamour / Sexual content images - Please do not embed such images in your messages, while we understand that such pictures (tastefully shot) are a big part of commercial photography we do have a worldwide audience and wide range of paying advertisers. If you wish to bring a gallery of such images to peoples attention then please just post a link.

You see that they really do understand that 'tastefully shot' images are valid, but they still don't want you to post them. Harsh, I know, because your shots are certainly tastefully shot, but rules are rules, even if you and I don't agree with them.
--
Bob

Avaron
Regular MemberPosts: 481
Like?
In reply to bobn2, May 26, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

You see that they really do understand that 'tastefully shot' images are valid, but they still don't want you to post them. Harsh, I know, because your shots are certainly tastefully shot, but rules are rules, even if you and I don't agree with them.

/ worlds smallest violin

MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,452Gear list
Like?

Well, minimally, it has a much better buffer than the GH2, which will solve one of the issues.

Out of curiousity, what do you PP with? Because Lightroom 4 dramatically improves what you can get out of the GH2 compared to previous versions.
--
--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
Budvarholsten
Like?
In reply to bobn2, May 26, 2012

I'm missing what you are getting at here my friend.

Are you a moderator and saying that I shouldn't have posted them?
Or are you not a moderator and saying that I shouldn't have posted them?

Or are you just saying that even though you like them it's only a matter of time before someone reports them?

To my mind, I've done nothing wrong. Okay, some of the girls are in underwear, but, it's not tiny skimpy underwear and neither are the poses what I'd define as overtly sexual.
--

Budvarholsten
Like?
In reply to MAubrey, May 26, 2012

I am using Lightroom 4 along with cs5.

The buffer is one problem solved I guess, but the half ar* d attempt at a fold out screen would put me off buying it. If you're going to include a fold out screen at least make it work in landscape AND portrait mode. Only making it work one way just stinks of cost cutting to me.

-- hide signature --

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 26,234
Like?

Budvarholsten wrote:

I'm missing what you are getting at here my friend.

I'm just pointing out what the rules are.

Are you a moderator and saying that I shouldn't have posted them?

No, I'm not a moderator, and I think it's up to you whether you post them or not. I'm just pointing out that you broke the rules. Up to you if you have a problem with that.

Or are you not a moderator and saying that I shouldn't have posted them?

See above, I don't object at all to your shots, it is just that they are against the rules.

Or are you just saying that even though you like them it's only a matter of time before someone reports them?

I suspect it is unlikely, because it is a rule that not many people support, I think.

To my mind, I've done nothing wrong. Okay, some of the girls are in underwear, but, it's not tiny skimpy underwear and neither are the poses what I'd define as overtly sexual.

I wouldn't think it wrong even if it were 'overtly sexual'. However, you cannot deny that the intent of the images is to tittilate, and they are of the glamour genre, so they are against the rules. The rules say nothing about the skimpiness or otherwise of the underwear - it is glamour that is disapproved of. Not my fault, I didn't write the rules.

But, go ahead with my blessing, it's up to you to evaluate how big a risk you take in breaking the rules and whether you want to take it.
--
Bob

Bill Wallace
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,213Gear list
Like?
Excellent....

In the portrait world how have you outgrown? I'm not a portrait shooter soooooo....

These are amazingly good and I found I liked some of the softer shots, don't usually.

I also liked your posing.....cool shots.

Man these are good, ever thought of doing the two system thing?

Best of luck.....

Bill

Now I'll go and read the rest of the thread, I'm sure you've answered my questions....

-- hide signature --

Bill Wallace

http://bwallace.zenfolio.com/

"I'd rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints"

Bill Wallace's gear list:Bill Wallace's gear list
Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads