To all those who still claim that the C-AF of the E-M5 is usesless:

Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions
DonParrot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,818Gear list
Like?
To all those who still claim that the C-AF of the E-M5 is usesless:
May 26, 2012

Say no more!

And this has been the very first time that I've been shooting sighthounds 'at work'.
So, with a little practice I should be able to do even better!

-- hide signature --

Why not - if there's enough space on the sofa...

I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +11 more
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,846Gear list
Like?
Re: To all those who still claim that the C-AF of the E-M5 is usesless:
In reply to DonParrot, May 26, 2012

those capitalist running dogs
seriously good work out, it has it all
raised ISO, the last 3 the dog is in shallow DoF and running a zig zag pattern

thanks !

oh what lens is that ?

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?

. . . Impressive results Don. Multiple or single shot? You've finally convinced me to try C-AF again after giving up on it with my E-PL3.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,405Gear list
Like?
Re: Stop! Stop!

You're going to get me thrown out of my house! if I go out and buy an OMD right now. (This is quite amazing)
--

http://www.pbase.com/madlights
http://barriolson.aminus3.com/

Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,406Gear list
Like?
Flipping Heck Don!

These are spectacularly good!

I'm seriously impressed, gonna have to try the E-M5 for myself...

Thanks for sharing

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
BushmanOrig
Senior MemberPosts: 2,898Gear list
Like?

Hi

Awesome performance. The more I see the more I believe that those who really get to know the E-M5 well plus practice will find the real talent of this camera....

Those who keep on shooting bedroom walls will never get to know this camera....

Thanks for posting

Siegfried

-- hide signature --

Community of Photographers
http://www.photographyisfun.ch

BushmanOrig's gear list:BushmanOrig's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +10 more
anthonyhnj
Regular MemberPosts: 247
Like?

amazing shots, what lens?
--
Somewhere, Someday, I'll get it right
http://www.onedumbphoto.com

DonParrot
Like?
In reply to Rriley, May 26, 2012

Rriley wrote:

those capitalist running dogs
seriously good work out, it has it all
raised ISO, the last 3 the dog is in shallow DoF and running a zig zag pattern

thanks !

oh what lens is that ?

Hi Riley, it's the M.Zuiko 75-300. Currently, I'm shooting my action below 200 as that's what I'm accustomed to from my 50-200 SWD. Above 200mm, I tend to lose the dogs out of focus due to the lack of a visible AF field in the burst mode. But I think it's just a question of practice.

-- hide signature --

I'm a HOlygan

Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +11 more
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660Gear list
Like?
The issue is in panning and C-AF

As I understand it (and as it is on my EPM1) the issue is with a moving object left to right or right to life. Not coming at you.

Any shots of horizontal movement??

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
DonParrot
Like?
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, May 26, 2012

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

. . . Impressive results Don. Multiple or single shot? You've finally convinced me to try C-AF again after giving up on it with my E-PL3.

Hi Tim, it's multiple shots. In the single-shot mode, I'd arguably opt for the blinding fast S-AF. Just aim, press the shutter button in one go - and you've got a well focused pic. Although I have to admit that I haven't tested this approach with the sighthounds, today.

And please note: Using picture mode vivid increases the reliability of the C-AF massively.

Then, using the high-frequency mode of the EVF is a must.

Further more, we have to forget some of the things we've learned in our DSLR days:

For instance, using IS 1 plus the EVF-IS also helps in the case of a subject approaching frontally.

And allowing the camera half a second or so for precalculating the movement even seems to be counterproductive. Just wait for the AF confirmation beep and start shooting right away.

And, last but not least: it needs a lot of practice as the visible AF field disappears as soon you have pressed the shutter button. So, you've got no orientation point in the EVF and will need some time to be able to keep the AF field on a fast moving subject, nevertheless.

At the end of the day, I have to say: It's not exactly what I would call easy but it can be done.

And when it comes to the E-PL3: this is a completely different affair. Tested its C-AF once and came to the conclusion that it's absolutely useless or, more precisely, non existent. Therefore, the massive improvement of the E-M5 came as a big surprise for me.

-- hide signature --

I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot
Like?
In reply to anthonyhnj, May 26, 2012

anthonyhnj wrote:

amazing shots, what lens?

Thanks!

M.Zuiko 75-300.

-- hide signature --

I'm a HOlygan

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,985Gear list
Like?

DonParrot wrote:

Say no more!

And this has been the very first time that I've been shooting sighthounds 'at work'.

Dogs. Can you take a few shots tracking a bird with a 300mm. That would be excellent to see. Or focus through branches on a small bird and see if it locks on the bird. Thanks.

Danny.
Birds and macro. NEX and m4/3

http://www.birdsinaction.com

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Mavica CD1000 +11 more
DonParrot
Like?
Re: The issue is in panning and C-AF
In reply to WT21, May 26, 2012

WT21 wrote:

As I understand it (and as it is on my EPM1) the issue is with a moving object left to right or right to life. Not coming at you.

Any shots of horizontal movement??

Well... a parallel movement is no challenge for a C-AF system at all as the distance isn't increasing and decreasing quickly. In this case, the photographer has to meet the challenge to keep the AF field on the moving subject. Okay, an enthusiast or pro sports DSLR has got a dynamic AF or even log-on that will help you doing so - but that's just a question of 'comfort', not of the C-AF performance.

A sighthound approaching at some 50 kph, however - and bopping up and down while doing so - represents a major challenge for a C-AF system.
--

I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot
Like?
In reply to nzmacro, May 26, 2012

nzmacro wrote:

DonParrot wrote:

Say no more!

Dogs. Can you take a few shots tracking a bird with a 300mm. That would be excellent to see. Or focus through branches on a small bird and see if it locks on the bird. Thanks.

Danny.

Well, unfortunately I'm 100 percent unexperienced when it comes to birding.

And to make something clear: the tracking of the E-M5 ist - as I see it - no good at all for tracking small subjects. So, the the tracking has to be done by the photographer. I'm talking solely about the C-AF performance.
But I'll give it a go next week if I'll get the opportunity.

By the way: there is another German guy using the E-M5 for shooting helicopter models in flight. Maybe this gives you a hint what can be done:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77776631@N04/sets/72157629978713423/

Birds and macro. NEX and m4/3

http://www.birdsinaction.com

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

-- hide signature --

I'm a HOlygan

markintosh13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,549
Like?

Well done.

The ability of the OMD should translate well to many other types of sport, assuming the person behind it is as good as you are.

Thanks.

windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 2,059Gear list
Like?

DonParrot wrote:

A sighthound approaching at some 50 kph, however - and bopping up and down while doing so - represents a major challenge for a C-AF system.

I have whippets. They are capable of around 60 kph, about the same as race horses, so I'd expect these larger dogs to be doing maybe close to 70 kph.

I think you would be fine using a slower shutter speed, by the way. 1/1600" should be enough, and it would leave a little paw movement, plus you'd have less noise and more DR. You might even be able to get away with slower speeds. Worth a try when the light is lower and you don't want to go too high on the ISO.

Well... a parallel movement is no challenge for a C-AF system at all as the distance isn't increasing and decreasing quickly. In this case, the photographer has to meet the challenge to keep the AF field on the moving subject. Okay, an enthusiast or pro sports DSLR has got a dynamic AF or even log-on that will help you doing so - but that's just a question of 'comfort', not of the C-AF performance.

I don't know that any of those help for this kind of fast action, but admittedly I haven't tried, as I never see anybody recommending it on the forums. I use the D700 and D2H to shoot my whippets, and I don't bother with any fancy settings. Either of these cameras (or the D300, for that matter, from what I've seen) have no problem at all tracking a whippet head on, even at 8fps in lower light, as long as you can keep a focus point on the head--which is the big problem. One of my dogs zigzags as he runs, and I have a low keeper rate, even with good cameras, so lately I resort to f/8-16 for him.

I have been wondering--have the C-AF images you've been posting been cropped at all? Are they from the ooc JPEGs? Also, from the exif, it looks like you are using manual exposure with auto ISO and exposure compensation, is that right? It would be great if Oly has finally allowed exposure comp in M mode!

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
DonParrot
Like?
In reply to nzmacro, May 26, 2012

nzmacro wrote:

Danny.

Hi Danny - shot a duck family this morning.
Would this help?

-- hide signature --

I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot
Like?
In reply to windsprite, May 26, 2012

windsprite wrote:

DonParrot wrote:

I have whippets. They are capable of around 60 kph, about the same as race horses, so I'd expect these larger dogs to be doing maybe close to 70 kph.

Wuhuu - so the C-AF did even better than I believed. Great!

I think you would be fine using a slower shutter speed, by the way. 1/1600" should be enough, and it would leave a little paw movement, plus you'd have less noise and more DR. You might even be able to get away with slower speeds. Worth a try when the light is lower and you don't want to go too high on the ISO.

Thanks for the hints! Thought opting for the higher shutter speed would be appropriate as these dogs are clearly faster than mine. Will turn them down next time.

I don't know that any of those help for this kind of fast action, but admittedly I haven't tried, as I never see anybody recommending it on the forums. I use the D700 and D2H to shoot my whippets, and I don't bother with any fancy settings. Either of these cameras (or the D300, for that matter, from what I've seen) have no problem at all tracking a whippet head on, even at 8fps in lower light, as long as you can keep a focus point on the head--which is the big problem. One of my dogs zigzags as he runs, and I have a low keeper rate, even with good cameras, so lately I resort to f/8-16 for him.

Great to hear that you share my point of you. Some guys in the German DSLR forum are aguing with me, telling me that a camera is useless for sports if it doen't feature dynamic AF and log on. It's a really difficult dicussion for me as I never owned one of those sports cameras but 'only' the E-30 and E-5 with their allegedly mediocre C-AF system - but was rather happy with my results nevertheless.

I have been wondering--have the C-AF images you've been posting been cropped at all? Are they from the ooc JPEGs? Also, from the exif, it looks like you are using manual exposure with auto ISO and exposure compensation, is that right? It would be great if Oly has finally allowed exposure comp in M mode!

Julie

Hi Julie - that's weird. Must be caused by ACDSee. Installed this programme on my computer just the other day to test it and didn't realise so far that it seems to mess around wiith the EXIFs.

If you scroll down (using the link below) you will find out that I apparently used two different exposure modes in one shot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63427925@N00/7274842134/meta/in/photostream/

That's quite an achievement, isn't it?

And yes, they are JPEGs with a light touch of EBV and sharpened after the downsizing.

And yes, they are cropped. The first of each set more, the latter less.

And no, unfprtunately exposure compensation still isn't avalable in M mode - if I'm not mistaken, that is.
--

I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot
Like?
In reply to markintosh13, May 26, 2012

markintosh13 wrote:

Well done.

The ability of the OMD should translate well to many other types of sport, assuming the person behind it is as good as you are.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot for the compliments!
--

I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot
Like?
Re: Flipping Heck Don!
In reply to Brian Mosley, May 26, 2012

Brian Mosley wrote:

These are spectacularly good!

I'm seriously impressed, gonna have to try the E-M5 for myself...

Thanks for sharing

Brian

Thanks, Brian.
Loving the little masterpiece more day by day.

-- hide signature --

Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

-- hide signature --

I'm a HOlygan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads