Am I the only one who thinks the olympus 75mm price is outrageous?

Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions
thinwallet
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Am I the only one who thinks the olympus 75mm price is outrageous?
May 26, 2012

Can someone explain how the $900 price can be justified? I have a Canon 85mm F1.8, excellent build quality, sharp wide open. It's slightly bigger than the olympus 75mm, 3"x2.8" vs 2.5" x 2.7". It only costs $400 and has more reach!

Steve Hoskin
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?
Re: Am I the only one who thinks the olympus 75mm price is outrageous?
In reply to thinwallet, May 26, 2012

Yes.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thinwallet
Like?

I'm seriously considering switching to MFT from Canon, but am having hard time justifying the higher cost of the mid-long ranges MFT primes.

Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,903
Like?

Is the Pentax 77mm limited $1050 price tag more justifiable?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/388316-REG/Pentax_27980_Telephoto_SMCP_FA_77mm_f_1_8.html .

I wouldn't switch to Canon FF gear to take advantage of the 85/1.8 lens.
--
My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...

Jeff.

Boris
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254Gear list
Like?

So don't buy the 75f1.8 if you think it is overpriced. Buy a EF to m4/3 adapter and use the EF85f1.8 on your future m4/3...I Do.
Boris
GH2 w/ EF 85f1.8

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II +40 more
thinwallet
Like?
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, May 26, 2012

When has pentax become a benchmark in the industry? Does the price tag make you eager to buy the pentax 77mm?

Let me rephrase my question. Is a 75mm MFT lens so difficult to make so that it has to cost more than twice as much as a 85mm FF lens with comparable spec? I know nothing about lens design. Would like to learn more about it.

thinwallet
Like?
In reply to Boris, May 26, 2012

That's a great shot! I'm thinking of the same, but wouldn't I loose AF with the adapter?

fermy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,167
Like?

No, I think the 75/1.8 price tag is stupid. IMHO it's not just a little too high, but about 2.5 times too high. The solution is simple, buy any of the excellent manual focus 85/1.8 primes for a fraction of the cost, let Oly sit on their lenses.

Gediminas 8
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021Gear list
Like?

I am in the same boat and I am not buying this lens. In fact, I also think the focal length too long for portraiture, and too short for a tele lens.

45/1.8 is the closest replacement for your EF 85/1.8 (which I also happen to own and like).

-- hide signature --

A travel gallery of my country and some others:
http://www.pbase.com/lithuania

Gediminas 8's gear list:Gediminas 8's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,033
Like?
Re: you need to understand equivalence "game"

Obviously you are not an mFT faithful.

Squint your brains really hard so this will make sense.

This is a 150 f1.8, don't don't say "yes but" just say this is really a 150 f1.8, no... no...don't even think about a "yes but..." just say to yourself "I'm really buying a 150 f1.8 for just $900"

and..
and..

it is in "silver" which will make me look so cool...all the hot women will want to sleep with me and my silver shiny lens.

and lastly of course "it's so small" wait wait.. don't compare size with other 85 or 7mm lenses, compare it to a 150 f2.8 or 200 f1.8 and see how small your "150mm f1.8 is" wait wait wait... don't say "yet but..."

thinwallet wrote:

Can someone explain how the $900 price can be justified? I have a Canon 85mm F1.8, excellent build quality, sharp wide open. It's slightly bigger than the olympus 75mm, 3"x2.8" vs 2.5" x 2.7". It only costs $400 and has more reach!

Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,949
Like?

Am not too surprised at the price. What's been missing from ยต4/3 is pro-grade lenses and now we're finally seeing some. Expect significant expansion of this segment in the next few years.

In case it helps, check E-series SHG lens prices to see where future offerings might be priced.

Cheers,

Rick

stimmer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,137
Like?

About 100 bucks too high. But it's a high quality, high performing lens and the first of it's kind for the format.

The honest truth is that Olympus does not want this to be a bargain basement lens. They would rather make it high quality, high performing, and high price. And that is absolutely their right to do so.

Nobody is forced to buy this lens.

Buy the Canon full frame system and a 150 lens and get back to me on how empty your pockets are.

Personally I'm getting this lens because it's awesome, small, and will be extremely cool to do photo shoots with.

roblarosa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,119Gear list
Like?

No, you're not. I think most of the lenses for the micro 4/3rds system are overpriced.

I don't even have a use for this focal length, so even it it was half as much I still wouldn't get it.

Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,270Gear list
Like?

To me - for my uses - even if I had the money I'd pass. It looks to be a great lens absolutely. But it is an odd focal length for my use. I'd rather use a good manual focus lens for the amount of shots at around this EFL that I do. So lose some quality, save lots of money. If I found it a flattering lens for portraits, or weddings or something that I made money at, then for that price it would be justified.
--

http://www.pbase.com/madlights
http://barriolson.aminus3.com/

Cephalotus
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,785Gear list
Like?

thinwallet wrote:

Can someone explain how the $900 price can be justified? I have a Canon 85mm F1.8,

a quite old lens from a time when lenses have been cheaper

excellent build quality,

really? Not middle class build quality?

sharp wide open.

really? How about CA?

It's slightly bigger than the olympus 75mm, 3"x2.8" vs 2.5" x 2.7". It only costs $400 and has more reach!

Does it fit well on a m43 camera? Can it offer the same performance.

lenses cost what they cost. If this is to much for you, do not buy them.

Why is it so difficult to understand this?

And why is it so difficult that you can not compare lenses by ther f and F nukmber. Do you compare car prices based on number of wheels and seats?

The Canon lens is an old (and good, not superb) design, the Olympus is a new design. The Olympus lens has a metal construction, offers a lot more lens elements, a lot more special glass lens elements, special AF drive and so on.

MTF umbers for the Olmypus lens are given for 20lp/mm and 60lp/mm, the Canon lens's MTF numbers are at 10lp/mm and 30lp/mm, just in case if you want to compare those.

So if the Canon lens is already "excellent" and fts your camera, just usw it. Everything is fine.

But stop making silly comparisons.

Cephalotus's gear list:Cephalotus's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Olympus E-1
Merak
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?

thinwallet wrote:

The Canon 85mm doesn't have excellent build quality. It's mainly made of plastic.

It's also not the correct lens to compare with the Olympus 75mm. Concerning reach, speed and build quality the closest lens is the Canon 135mm/f2. And now show me where you can get this lens for $400?

I think the real issue with the price of the Olympus 75mm and Olympus 12mm is that they don't really fit into the m43 world. Typical m43 users don't want to spend too much for camera and lenses, at least not for build quality.

I'm in the same boat. I 'd be perfectly satisfied if lenses like the Olympus 12 and 75 would have the build quality of the Olympus 45mm. With the announced price of the 75mm lens i doubt i will buy it.

helimech
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?
Olympus ignored the success of the 45....

This lenses is barely smaller than its full frame counterparts, and will not be "substantially" better IQ wise either, at least not to the degree they have priced it.

I think Olympus ignored the success of the 45mm. It wasn't/isn't popular due to it IQ alone, it is popular for its bang to buck ratio. This lens misses the boat on that one IMO. I say make it in plastic (never once had any problems with modern plastic lenses) offer it in black or silver, and with a plastic bayonet mount hood for $600, which to me is a logical step up from the 45mm.

The current price "might" be more justified if it were weather sealed and came with the hood. The no hood thing is asinine on a $900 lens.

helimech's gear list:helimech's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
roblarosa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,119Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cephalotus, May 26, 2012

Cephalotus wrote:

For the same reason it's difficult for some people to understand that they're over paying just to have the latest greatest gear for a sub-par system.

helimech
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?
In reply to Merak, May 26, 2012

Nope its a 75mm lens so compare to other 70-90mm lenses. Just because the sensor size results in a different angle of view does not mean the lens is a different focal length. This is just the way Olympus and Panasonic want us to think to justify their price points.

Do you really think a 75mm 1.8 for a smaller sensor would cost the same to build/design as a 135mm f2 Lens that has to be built for a much larger sensor?

Merak wrote:

thinwallet wrote:

The Canon 85mm doesn't have excellent build quality. It's mainly made of plastic.

It's also not the correct lens to compare with the Olympus 75mm. Concerning reach, speed and build quality the closest lens is the Canon 135mm/f2. And now show me where you can get this lens for $400?

I think the real issue with the price of the Olympus 75mm and Olympus 12mm is that they don't really fit into the m43 world. Typical m43 users don't want to spend too much for camera and lenses, at least not for build quality.

I'm in the same boat. I 'd be perfectly satisfied if lenses like the Olympus 12 and 75 would have the build quality of the Olympus 45mm. With the announced price of the 75mm lens i doubt i will buy it.

helimech's gear list:helimech's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Cephalotus
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,785Gear list
Like?
In reply to roblarosa, May 26, 2012

roblarosa wrote:

Cephalotus wrote:

For the same reason it's difficult for some people to understand that they're over paying just to have the latest greatest gear for a sub-par system.

You do not "overpay" if the lens delivers what you want at a cost the buyer (not you, not me!) thinks is acceptable in relation to that performance.

Those that do not think so will not buy the lens. 0,01% of those will go to forums and start whining in threads about things they can or will not afford. Why waste your and our time?

Is a BMW worth the price if a Dacia can do the same?

If the Canon 85/1,8 lens is more to your liking just buy that lens. Where is the problem?

Cephalotus's gear list:Cephalotus's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Olympus E-1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads