Alternatives to Photoshop?

Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 19,699Gear list
Like?
Re: Alternatives to Photoshop?
In reply to brucet, May 26, 2012

What is the clock spped of your CPU. These are excellent times. Doing a little quick math . . . 12-13 minutes (total) isn't bad for PSP 4x.

I just tried it with ACR 7.1 with similiar size and number of files. It took 2 minutes and 40 seconds. For some, this is a small price to pay. For others, its time enough for a long coffee break.
PXP x 4 is an excellent program, just not a replacement for PS CS6.

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jerry1
Contributing MemberPosts: 595Gear list
Like?
In reply to ms960, May 26, 2012

I sympathize with you. I bought cs3 extended from a vendor on amazon some time back (brand new) and when I tried to register it I was told it was pirated software. I did send it back and got a refund. But in your case since adobe allowed you to register your copy I don't understand the problem. Sounds like somebody or something is wrong at adobe. Good luck.

brucet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,339
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, May 26, 2012

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my post. I batched my files through ASP not PSPx4.
I wouldn't contemplate using PSPx4 for RAW conversion.

Jim Hess
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,491
Like?

I think you DO have a legitimate copy of Photoshop CS3. Problem is, it is too old to be eligible for an upgrade to Photoshop CS 6. The policy has been that upgrades are available for two versions back, which means that CS4 would be the oldest version available for upgrade pricing. And that policy is going to change when CS7 is released. From that time forward you will have to upgrade every version in order to get upgrade pricing.

Conchita
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,909
Like?
In reply to Jim Hess, May 26, 2012

Oh, good point, Jim. I think you've got it.

Conrad Birdie
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,809Gear list
Like?
In reply to ms960, May 26, 2012

Lets forget the legitmate copy of CS3 right now completely. I do not want to get involved in that part of your question to be honest. But, I can tell you this, if you bought an upgrade product that does not work with your previous version, and Adobe will not assist you, get a refund for the upgrade product.

If Adobe refuses to issue the credit, file a claim with your credit card company disputing the charge. Your credit card company will send a notice to Adobe of dispute and Adobe has 30 days to respond. Keep your receipts handy for your purchase of CS3 and for the upgrade. Also document any conversations you had with Adobe about your problems and put them in writing to your credit card company.

You are NOT responsible for the charge while it is in dispute. Once the dispute has been responded to by Adobe and yourself, the credit card company will then decide to charge back the charge to Adobe, or refuse the dispute.

Good Luck.

ms960 wrote:

I own, what I thought, was a legitimate copy of Photoshop CS3 Extended.

I just bought from Adobe an upgrade from PS CS3 Extended to PS CS6 Extended, which was indicated as a valid upgrade. Unfortunately, when I enter my 24 digit serial number, get a message saying I have an invalid product for upgrade. I'd like to resolve this by either a method to successfully install and activate CS6, or I'd like a refund. Is there a specific second or third tier Customer Service number I can reach someone to help me resolve this?

Has anyone else had this problem. I've seen issues when people are missing their "last 4" digits of a serial number, but in this case I have all 24 digits.

Adobe is telling me the full version of CS3 serial number is not in their database, so it was a pirated version, which I can assure you is false.

I have the full box, with all the Adobe stickers, marketing crap, and everything for CS3. I've been on chat with Adobe for the past hour trying to persuade them that their system must be screwed up, but all I get is "sorry, we can't help you."

anyone out there that can help me before I write Adobe off forever??? Having now realized that the hundreds I paid for CS3 were a waste, and now stuck with CS6 that I can't use, I'm definitely looking for alternatives to Adobe products.

I know about Gimp, and have tried it on numerous occasions, but never really bonded with it. Are there other worthy alternatives, not necessarily free, that can do some/most of what Photocrap does?

-- hide signature --

Conrad Birdie

"The truest measurement of a man's heart is not what he does when he has wealth, but what he does when he doesn't".

Conrad Birdie's gear list:Conrad Birdie's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Olympus E-510
Jim Hess
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,491
Like?
In reply to Conchita, May 26, 2012

Conchita wrote:

Oh, good point, Jim. I think you've got it.

Well, I thought I was right, too. But I just checked the Adobe website, and it appears to me that CS3 is the last version that is eligible for an upgrade to CS6.

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 19,699Gear list
Like?

Wize man.

brucet wrote:

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my post. I batched my files through ASP not PSPx4.
I wouldn't contemplate using PSPx4 for RAW conversion.

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +10 more
Loren D Sanders Sr
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?
In reply to ms960, May 27, 2012

I am trying Sagelight Image Editor. For a limited time you get lifetime upgrades or updates and the Pro features included for under $40.00. I believe the creator should be supported as he is on to something that could replace the need for PhotoShop.
--
Loren Sr

Loren D Sanders Sr's gear list:Loren D Sanders Sr's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +1 more
lutz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?

for both Mac and PC the best alternative to PS is, to my knowlege,
PhotoLine

http://www.pl32.com

Google finds some informative reviews.

BBGunWB
Regular MemberPosts: 405
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, May 27, 2012

I agree that PSP X4 is a crap RAW converter. But it is an EXCELLENT editor. Its HDR module alone is worth its sale price of 50 bucks.

I use Lightroom for my RAW editor/converter and PSPX4 for my more intensive editing and any HDR work.

75%to 85% of Photoshop capability at 10-15% of the price.

BB

-- hide signature --

picasaweb.google.com/BBGunWB

BBGunWB
Regular MemberPosts: 405
Like?

Sagelight, while having some pretty cool capabilities, isn't the tool photoshop or paintshop pro is. I like the program, but its quirky enough that I am having trouble sticking with it.

Seriously, give PSPX4 a try.

BB

-- hide signature --

picasaweb.google.com/BBGunWB

MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Sagelight

I have CS5 but, because of the high cost of upgrading to CS6 and because I also have LR and ASP, I looked for a good alternative to Photoshop. What I found was Sagelight (you will find it at http://www.sagelighteditor.com ).

I tried it and found I really liked it. It is quite different in layout and usage than Photoshop but I think it is pretty slick as well as not very expensive. Rob, the developer, is very approachable and answers questions directly on the Sagelight forum. You might give the trial version a look.

I personally use LR for my normal workflow and Sagelight for special situations. The software has a set of special recovery options that have never failed in allowing me to address exposure issues and the software has a ton of available plugins for specific needs. I really like it.

lutz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
In reply to lutz, May 27, 2012

BTW,
NEVER any " activation" and related problems with Photoline.

fuego6
Senior MemberPosts: 1,600
Like?
Re: Sagelight
In reply to MikeFromMesa, May 27, 2012

MikeFromMesa wrote:

I have CS5 but, because of the high cost of upgrading to CS6 and because I also have LR and ASP, I looked for a good alternative to Photoshop. What I found was Sagelight (you will find it at http://www.sagelighteditor.com ).

I tried it and found I really liked it. It is quite different in layout and usage than Photoshop but I think it is pretty slick as well as not very expensive. Rob, the developer, is very approachable and answers questions directly on the Sagelight forum. You might give the trial version a look.

I personally use LR for my normal workflow and Sagelight for special situations. The software has a set of special recovery options that have never failed in allowing me to address exposure issues and the software has a ton of available plugins for specific needs. I really like it.

I like Sagelight a lot.. but - it is an editor and requires you to save your results to a new file - not what I like for RAW files... no ability to update the RAW previews and your settings are not saved anywhere - so if you want to later tweak your RAW file, you need to basically start over... no catalog to save edits / preview to.

It's a great product with lots of potential... but those 2 items ruin it for me.

MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
In reply to fuego6, May 27, 2012

Rob, the developer of Sagelight, has been working on a new version. I do not think it has yet been officially released, but it contains, among other things, an editing history that allows you to revert back to earlier states. I understand that this is not what you are referring to, but the maintenance of a history state may be the first step toward saving that history state so that it can be restored when the file is reloaded. I am not the developer so I cannot be sure, but it seems like a reasonable first step toward addressing your complaint.

I only mention it as you might want to keep an eye on Sagelight to see if your concerns are addressed in the (near?) future. I really like the software but admit that it is far different from tools like Lightroom, Dxo OP and ASP. It is an editor, not a workflow tool.

absentaneous
Regular MemberPosts: 402
Like?

if you really bought a valid photoshop cs3 yet adobe says you didn't and they don't want to fix the problem as they should and you also bought the upgrade to cs6 then I think you have all the moral right to get a pirated version of cs6 and use it with clear conscience.

fuego6
Senior MemberPosts: 1,600
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, May 27, 2012

Thx Mike.. I will keep it on the radar as I really like it and Rob the developer... I"ve posted this same question on their forums and had a running discussion going - but I don't think in the end he understood the 2 points I was looking for... ie: DNG/RAW preview updates and the ability to store Sagelight instructions within the XMP of a file or sidecar..

I would think the last should be simple given the stored history - just write it out to the XMP block when saving. The first is important if the RAW files themselves are being edited but you don't wish to save a separate file.

Hopefully, he'll get these in a future version... I'd buy in a heartbeat if they were there already.

Richard Townsend
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?

@ms960 - if you have registered your previous version of Photoshop it should show up on your "My Products and Services" web page.

As I am in the UK, I use:

https://www.adobe.com/uk/account/my-products-services.html

and this shows all my registered products going back to 2005.

I assume there is an equivalent address for the US? - do you see anything?

Richard Townsend's gear list:Richard Townsend's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +12 more
Desert Cruiser
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, May 27, 2012

Steve if you're going to criticize something then before you do try it. Corel has a program now called After Shot Pro that will work 100 times faster than anything Adobe has for working on RAW images. And PaintShop ProX4 is fast and EASY to learn. AND it will do anything Adobe does for a price that outstanding (Try $49), so if you want to think you've got the best because you paid so much for it, fine, but know this, you got ripped off. Other people have had the same problem the OP has and they can't get any satisfactions either. They just don't care, they make a fortune on idiots who think because it costs so much it has to be better. Once you try PaintShop Pro X4, their Video Studio pro X5 or AfterShot Pro you'll never go back to Adobe.

Now it is apparent you don't keep up with Corel's software, so it you have no experience with it then let people that have it --- judge it!

Don...
--
http://www.in-the-desert.com/
"A picture is worth a thousand words"
Some pictures leave you speechless"

Desert Cruiser's gear list:Desert Cruiser's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony SLT-A58 Pentax K-500
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads